Are you a NOOB? Ask any NOOB questions here

Search This thread

cteq1

Aug 4, 2012
Have few question/confusions/queries

1) I want to take advantage of new JB v5 release. However my rooted phone hasnt been updated to latest Samsung update, can I update to JB 5 and then take update or have to take update then install JB5?
2) Will I lose all my data? Apps?
3) Does this JB5 already have latest updates from Samsung? ( I thought I read it somewhere that it had )

Thank you

xblackvalorx

Oct 27, 2011
Just purchased and rooted my SGS3, and wondered a few things. I have the latest ota and firmware.

What do you guys suggest for a good fully functioning rom/kernel combo. Not looking for bleeding edge performance, just good performance with better battery life than stock. PMs or replys welcome :)

csmasn

Sep 17, 2011
Have few question/confusions/queries

1) I want to take advantage of new JB v5 release. However my rooted phone hasnt been updated to latest Samsung update, can I update to JB 5 and then take update or have to take update then install JB5?
2) Will I lose all my data? Apps?
3) Does this JB5 already have latest updates from Samsung? ( I thought I read it somewhere that it had )

Thank you

If you flash JB leak you don't need to install any update cause those are for ICS.

But if you use JB you can't tether anylonger.

Sent from my O=O

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Just purchased and rooted my SGS3, and wondered a few things. I have the latest ota and firmware.

What do you guys suggest for a good fully functioning rom/kernel combo. Not looking for bleeding edge performance, just good performance with better battery life than stock. PMs or replys welcome :)

You can try them all. But I recommend FreeGS3 with stock kernel.

Sent from my O=O

aveda6

Dec 31, 2010
Nashua
For Rom/Kernel recommendations I would suggest JellyBomb by Josh Beach. It works great and has a much cleaner look overall. If you do end up downloading and installing the Rom please make sure to read all of the thread pages beforehand. There are numerous questions that seem to come up over and over again and all of have been answered in the thread.

Regardless of which Rom you decide to go with you may want to try out a few to see the differences. I've changed Roms numerous times trying out different themes and seeing how my phone reacts to specific installs. Just don't let one bad install discourage you. It may take some time to get the hang of the install process.

Reactions: mnhertz26

cteq1

Aug 4, 2012
If you flash JB leak you don't need to install any update cause those are for ICS.

But if you use JB you can't tether anylonger.

Sent from my O=O

Thank you. So no hotspot?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

For Rom/Kernel recommendations I would suggest JellyBomb by Josh Beach. It works great and has a much cleaner look overall. If you do end up downloading and installing the Rom please make sure to read all of the thread pages beforehand. There are numerous questions that seem to come up over and over again and all of have been answered in the thread.

Regardless of which Rom you decide to go with you may want to try out a few to see the differences. I've changed Roms numerous times trying out different themes and seeing how my phone reacts to specific installs. Just don't let one bad install discourage you. It may take some time to get the hang of the install process.

Thank you very much. The thread has almost 3000 posts... I am going to use it for night time reading lol

cteq1

Aug 4, 2012
Make sure that if you go to jelly bean, you don't restore any app data or system data. It will cause you many problems

Sent from my Jelly Bombed SGS3

Well I think it is getting too complicated for this noob.. May be I will do some more reading and may be practice on my old HTC Evo first, just in case

mnhertz26

Jul 6, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey guys noob here, quick question, I lost all my contacts and can't seem to link to my gmail account. I'm stock unrooted, on li3. Could an app have erased everything?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

No. Your contacts are synced to cloud storage. Did you by any chance delete your primary gmail account? If you go into settings, accounts and sync, select your gmail account, hit sync now to perform a sync ..does it have a red circle or say that sync is experiencing problems?

Either way, your best bet and quickest resolution would be to go to settings, storage, and perform a factory reset. Then, you will be able to sync your gmail starting from scratch

mnhertz26

Jul 6, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Well I think it is getting too complicated for this noob.. May be I will do some more reading and may be practice on my old HTC Evo first, just in case

Allow me to clarify. You don't have to accept any updates. You will do the following, MAKE A BACKUP of your current system, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache...then you install zip from SD card and flash the lih modem/firmware (every Jelly Bean leak rom has a link to the lih firmware with the downloads on the first page)..then flash the jelly bean rom of your choice. You will have a clean install now.

** A lot of people use titanium backup, mybackup, or rom toolbox to back up their applications and associated data. They then restore the app and data on their new rom that they just flashed. This way, if you were on level 62 of angry birds, you can pick up where you left off. You CAN NOT do this when coming from ics because the data isn't always compatible (made for use with) jelly bean.

On Josh Beach's Jelly Bomb Domination version 5.0 thread, he has a very detailed set of instructions, with all of the files you need, and there is even a video walking you through how to install. Hope this helps

Reactions: cteq1

black_label

No. Your contacts are synced to cloud storage. Did you by any chance delete your primary gmail account? If you go into settings, accounts and sync, select your gmail account, hit sync now to perform a sync ..does it have a red circle or say that sync is experiencing problems?

Either way, your best bet and quickest resolution would be to go to settings, storage, and perform a factory reset. Then, you will be able to sync your gmail starting from scratch

No I didn't delete the account, even play store says it's not installed, maps and navigation also disappeared. I can't even select Google account as an option to restore account

jiffener

Aug 25, 2008
I think this thread is a great idea. I spent a few hours looking around in the 9300 forum before figuring out I have sph l710 which isn't the same. So I think that alone qualifies me as a newb. (or noob as you spell it... our is it n00b?)

I even would go so far as to suggest an adopt-a-n00b program where you can buddy up with someone and have them standing by for advice if the going gets rough :D

Anyway, I'm just at the beginning of my info survey. That's the whole problem for most people by the way. There's just too much information, and only a small fraction applies to any given person's situation. Wading through the stuff that doesn't apply to get to the beautiful shining gem that is perfect for you takes forever...if you manage to accomplish it at all. Daunting to say the least.

I've lurked around XDA before, even running the OMJ ROM back in the day on my HTC Touch, at least until Sprint enabled gps in the stock ROM. So I'm not unfamiliar with the concepts here, but with the evo I never touched the stock os.

Now I feel I MUST do something, for at least two reasons I discovered right away:
1) The camera shutter sound must DIE (My phone is my primary photo and video device for getting pictures if a baby and she is distracted by the sound. Plus it's just freaking annoying in general!
2) I really need usb mass storage transfer or whatever the eff it's called.

So maybe I don't even need a shiny new ROM or kernel (and no, I haven't read up on the difference yet), maybe all I need is root access and the ums app? Then I could rename or remove the shutter sound file and both problems are solved? Maybe?

But step 0 is to get a complete backup of everything, especially...everything. ok most important are the photos, videos, and anything else that lives on the phone and doesn't sync anywhere useful, like call history.

So hi guys! Thanks for making this thread.

Sent from my handheld awesomeness generator using Tapatalk deux

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
The first thing you should address to noobs is that questions go in Q&A ;)
Thread moved
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *NOOB FORUM FOR SGS3*

Xda community,

I decided to start this thread to help some newcomers along. When I was a NOOB, I had a lot of questions. I couldn't find the appropriate place to ask the questions, I didn't know how to use the forum tools, I didn't know which questions were good questions, I was worried about getting bashed by some senior members, and I became discouraged. Feel free to ask any questions in here. You will not get flamed for asking any legitimate question. I won't hold your hand.. If you have a question that is all over the Internet, I'll point you in the right direction and tell you how I found that information.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A NOOB IF..
    - You are new to rooting
    - You are new to flashing roms
    - New to adb, fast boot, drivers, bootloaders
    - You don't understand the terminology
    - You don't know the difference between a rom and a kernel
    - You don't know how to use XDA forums
    - You can't explain what rooting is and what it does
    - Many more..you get the point :D

ARE YOU HIGH?! No noob is EVER gonna see this. You didnt post it in the development section. :laugh:
    Thread cleaned
    Profanity will not be tolerated, nor attacking of each other
    This is a development site please post appropriately
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    Edit: removed comment, thought this thread was about boobs

ARE YOU HIGH?! No noob is EVER gonna see this. You didnt post it in the development section. :laugh:

You are right. Please some Mod move this to development.

And rename it to “Noobs don't need to READ this.“

Sent from my O=O