FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Official KitKat Bloatware Removal Thread

996 posts
Thanks Meter: 312
 
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2014, 05:06 PM |#11  
LifeAsADroid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Awesomeville, USA
Thanks Meter: 312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldr

Also I found another bloatware - HP Printer Service or whatever it's called.

Good call, I forgot all the wifi printer apps!

Updated the list with some others that I found as well (Email, Hangouts, Messaging, Music Visualization Wallpapers, etc.) All can be safely removed, but make sure you have another method for emailing or texting, lol
24th May 2014, 01:41 AM |#12  
Junior Member
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Freeze bloatware
K, I was able to freeze the bloatware using my unrooted 4.4.2.

I went into each apps settings (long press the icon, app info). Then I cleared the "Show notifications" check, Force stop, then Disable. After that the offending apps weren't showing up under the app screen.

If you go to Play store, you'll find them listed as "Disabled".

Hope this helps some, and keep up the good fight for Root access with this update.
27th May 2014, 04:16 AM |#13  
LifeAsADroid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Awesomeville, USA
Thanks Meter: 312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoolfirefighter

K, I was able to freeze the bloatware using my unrooted 4.4.2.

I went into each apps settings (long press the icon, app info). Then I cleared the "Show notifications" check, Force stop, then Disable. After that the offending apps weren't showing up under the app screen.

If you go to Play store, you'll find them listed as "Disabled".

Hope this helps some, and keep up the good fight for Root access with this update.

Sigh... Please don't spam this thread with posts about root on stock KK. If you don't have it by now, get used to not having it on this phone EVER.
29th May 2014, 08:50 AM |#14  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I have removed and disabled the google search app without any negative issues to the rom.

I don't use it as I find myself using my personal browser more than the useless google app. Plus no google now push. However, it does remove the search bar, but doesn't break the roms ability to search from an up swipe from the dock using a browser with search functions, or another search app.

You can also freeze google maps along with its companion app without issue.

You should also consider putting a list of apps not to mess with this time around. This is because a few system apps have become more vital in the rom.
For instance, Google Play Services was able to be disabled and removed without reinstalling automatically in Jelly Bean, but it can no longer be frozen or deleted as it will seriously mess up the google play store with it's recent update in kitkat.
29th May 2014, 05:34 PM |#15  
LifeAsADroid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Awesomeville, USA
Thanks Meter: 312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefirosu

I have removed and disabled the google search app without any negative issues to the rom.

I don't use it as I find myself using my personal browser more than the useless google app. Plus no google now push. However, it does remove the search bar, but doesn't break the roms ability to search from an up swipe from the dock using a browser with search functions, or another search app.

You can also freeze google maps along with its companion app without issue.

You should also consider putting a list of apps not to mess with this time around. This is because a few system apps have become more vital in the rom.
For instance, Google Play Services was able to be disabled and removed without reinstalling automatically in Jelly Bean, but it can no longer be frozen or deleted as it will seriously mess up the google play store with it's recent update in kitkat.

Thanks! They've been added to the list.

The "do not touch" app list sounds like a good idea, but I was thinking of just leaving it as whatever isn't listed in post #2 shouldn't be touched
17th June 2014, 02:45 AM |#16  
Member
Flag Chattanooga
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAsADroid

Sigh... Please don't spam this thread with posts about root on stock KK. If you don't have it by now, get used to not having it on this phone EVER.

Haha. How do you like your crow prepared? Despite the fact that root and unlock is now available again for a short time, anyway, I think he was showing how there is some freeze ability without root with this update.

With that said, I can't find acoustic warning in tibu, is it now called something else? I can't stand the auto volume drop when I hook to my truck radio.

Update: nvm. Its no longer standalone. Its in android os. You have to use xposed to disable it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcusWhite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarcusWhite Ad-Free
19th June 2014, 10:16 PM |#17  
newmanx4's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Something I killed in this list removed my speech to text capability. The microphone icon is gone from the keyboard when texting. Any idea what did it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
21st June 2014, 04:53 AM |#18  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
If I had to guess, I'd say it was removing Google search that did the trick. That's when mine disappeared anyway. I rarely use the option so it didn't bother me too much. If you haven't uninstalled Google search, then you should just be able to verify Google voice typing is enabled. If that doesn't do it, you might also have to long press the button to the left of the space bar and assign the mic to that key.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using XDA Free mobile app
21st June 2014, 04:35 PM |#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I think you can add
Help
Home Screen Tips


You can add the following as well since they aren't needed once you setup the device.
Setup 4.4.2-10
Setup Wizard 4.4.2-10
Setup Wizard 1.3
Setup Wizard 1.0
22nd June 2014, 05:42 PM |#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
OK, I'll bite. It seems I'm only able to freeze bloatware. I try uninstalling w/ TBU, but they're all still there. Since I don't see any reason to have to restore them for an OTA, I'd just like to get rid of them.
1st July 2014, 06:24 PM |#21  
Huli13's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Has anyone tried to remove any of the following?

VZW Package installer
VZWAPNService 8.0
AzwSecureSettingsApp 2.0
Weather 4.4.2-10

I am pretty sure that weather app is for the desktop mode, not sure about the other three. I am NOT on verizon service, so I am not sure if I can even test those.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes