Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and Install Custom Recovery

Search This thread

ValenteL

Aug 25, 2011
Espinho
Root the T310 is easy to me...

1- Install one Custom Recovery by Odin.

2- By Recovery (Power + Vol-up) flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-1.86.zip by @Chainfire. Thanks Chainfire.

3- The Root is alright but not Busybox.

4- Download from Play Store the Busybox 1.21.1 from Stericson. Touch on icon and install it.

5- End. I have all rooted. We can confirm whit "Root Verifier".

Last edited:

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
Root the T310 is easy to me...

1- Install one Custom Recovery by Odin.

2- By Recovery (Power + Vol-up) flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-1.86.zip by @Chainfire. Thanks Chainfire.

3- The Root is alright but not Busybox.

4- Download from Play Store the Busybox 1.21.1 from Stericson. Touch on icon and install it.

5- End. I have all rooted. We can confirm whit "Root Verifier".

ValenteL..... we'll need links to your steps 1 & 2 if you please??
thanks in advance!!!
thanks again

uwannabananababy

May 1, 2011
Up West, P.E.I.
Just a FYI,
I tried to download the necessary files from Dev-Host using my tablet and downloads would not start due to mobogenie
Interupting and wasking to install an app. There was a warning from the system that the app may be harmful. I had to download to my laptop and still had a program that wanted to install but did not interupt the downloads.
That's just from nasty advertisment links oh so inconveniently placed above and below the actual download button I believe (the black rectangle download button is what you want.) So yes, folks best be aware of that. Such links don't even appear when using an adblocker on PC browser. Ironic as well that once I rooted from this thread and installed AdAway the links are not present as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: akone2

pmgnet

Jan 23, 2008
Atlanta
How to put stock recovery back and unroot?

Hi, I currently have a TWRP + rooted android 4.2.2 that I used on family member's Tab 3 8 per this thread.

Since there's an update, how might I get that?

Is there a way to put back the stock recovery and unroot so that I can get past the "Your device has been modified" message?

akone2

Apr 23, 2011
That's just from nasty advertisment links oh so inconveniently placed above and below the actual download button I believe (the black rectangle download button is what you want.) So yes, folks best be aware of that. Such links don't even appear when using an adblocker on PC browser. Ironic as well that once I rooted from this thread and installed AdAway the links are not present as well.

Thanks for the reply. I tried all of the download buttons and was still redirected. Nasty is so right. I flashed TWRP that I downloaded to my laptop and all worked perfectly on my 310. The TWRP root method also worked. Great job!

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
Hi, I currently have a TWRP + rooted android 4.2.2 that I used on family member's Tab 3 8 per this thread.

Since there's an update, how might I get that?

Is there a way to put back the stock recovery and unroot so that I can get past the "Your device has been modified" message?

Are you saying that there is an OTA update for the 8 incher?? which one?? 310, 311,315??
thanks

gphunkplp

Jul 6, 2012
310 is the latest just checked on my unrooted tab 3

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pmgnet

Jan 23, 2008
Atlanta
310 is the latest just checked on my unrooted tab 3

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OK, maybe there is not. The device has 4.2 installed. Is that the latest? I assumed since I was getting a prompt that it would not update that there was something to update but now I realize that is flawed logic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
OK, maybe there is not. The device has 4.2 installed. Is that the latest? I assumed since I was getting a prompt that it would not update that there was something to update but now I realize that is flawed logic.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

my 315 is unrooted and the latest is 4.2.2 as well...

When an OTA update to 4.3 or above DOES appear..
You'll see it here on these forums BIG time..
Every-1 will want it..
No one with a rooted device will get it OTA.
Folks will be asking tons of questions on "how to get it"..
You'll know when it comes out.
You'll see a zillion threads about it on here..
good luck

Reactions: pmgnet

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I am rooted now, but had a small hiccup with the recovery installation.

Once Odin was finished, it said reset, not pass, and my tab hung in download mode.

I did the artificial battery pull (volume up + power for 10+ seconds). The tab booted normal. I powered off and tried recovery mode. TWRP was installed, so I continued on with rooting without any problems (root checker verified).

Thank you for giving us root!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sportandmiah

Jan 7, 2014
Hello all.

I am interested in rooting my Samsung Tab 3 8.0, and have done a lot of reading. What are the real benefits of rooting this device? I am a tinkerer at heart and am constantly fiddling with settings and whatnot. I am interested in the different ROMs and UI.

Am I going to gain any performance by rooting? And once I do root, what ROMs can I use? Are roms device specific?

Regards

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
So I have the latest software on my Tab. Am I still able to root and install custom recovery with this version?

If by latest you mean 4.2, yes. I rooted 4.2 within two days of opening the box, less than two weeks ago.

Am I going to gain any performance by rooting? And once I do root, what ROMs can I use? Are roms device specific?

Root alone doesn't change much. I like to think of root as opening the door. You still have to walk through.
* Just be careful what you tinker with.* ROMs, kernels, etc are VERY device specific!!! And make backups (at least one anyway).
It should go without saying, but don't keep the backup on the internal SD. Flashing ROMs calls for wiping user data.

Look around the development section. The tab is still relatively new, so there isn't a ton going on yet. But there is more than enough to get started and have lots of fun.

We have some solid devs in the tab 3 section!!! Read, read, read. They won't lead you astray.

---------- ---------- ---------- --------
SGtab3 8" / CM11 (unofficial)
SGS3 / SlimKAT

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
If by latest you mean 4.2, yes. I rooted 4.2 within two days of opening the box, less than two weeks ago.

Root alone doesn't change much. I like to think of root as opening the door. You still have to walk through.
* Just be careful what you tinker with.* ROMs, kernels, etc are VERY device specific!!! And make backups (at least one anyway).
It should go without saying, but don't keep the backup on the internal SD. Flashing ROMs calls for wiping user data.

Look around the development section. The tab is still relatively new, so there isn't a ton going on yet. But there is more than enough to get started and have lots of fun.

We have some solid devs in the tab 3 section!!! Read, read, read. They won't lead you astray.

---------- ---------- ---------- --------
SGS3 / SlimKAT

I won one of these from my bank in a contest.

I booted it up and took the OTA. I tried following the steps in the how-to and it seems to flash, but it it keeps going back to stock recovery. I've tried the TWRP and the Philz CWM - same result. I've also tried turning off auto reboot and no dice.

Any ideas?

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I won one of these from my bank in a contest.

I booted it up and took the OTA. I tried following the steps in the how-to and it seems to flash, but it it keeps going back to stock recovery. I've tried the TWRP and the Philz CWM - same result. I've also tried turning off auto reboot and no dice.

Any ideas?

OTA? I had 4.2 out of the box, and didn't get an OTA notification.
If you did get an OTA to 4.3, then look for Knox. If Knox is on your tab, the this probably won't work, and you'll have to wait for someone to make a Knox removal tool.

If you're on 4.2 / no Knox, then I'd verify the drivers. I missed this small detail back when I rooted my captivate a few years back. (Quote from OP)
Once that is done, the ID:COM field on Odin should light up yellow, signifying that Odin has recognized your device without a problem. If not, make sure you install the proper drivers (by installing Samsung Kies) and try again.

I Googled for the drives. I didn't want to install Kies just for drivers.

- - - - - - - - - -
SM-T310 on CM11 (unofficial)
SGS3 slimKAT beta

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
OTA? I had 4.2 out of the box, and didn't get an OTA notification.
If you did get an OTA to 4.3, then look for Knox. If Knox is on your tab, the this probably won't work, and you'll have to wait for someone to make a Knox removal tool.

If you're on 4.2 / no Knox, then I'd verify the drivers. I missed this small detail back when I rooted my captivate a few years back. (Quote from OP)

It's still sitting at 4.2.2. Forgot the build, and I don't know what was originally on it. I fired it up, did the setup wizard, and it was already downloading an update. It was about 91 MB. Not sure what it did.

I thought it was a driver issue at first as well. I used the same laptop I did with the work I did on my Note II. It was seeing the Tab, but I couldn't access it. I ended up downloading Kies and it started to appear as normal.

I tried installing the recoveries prior to Kies and Odin wasn't actually pushing it, even though it claimed success. After putting Kies on it, Odin worked correctly and pushed the recoveries. However, for some reason it's not sticking. It's acting like it's write protected or something.

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
..... It's acting like it's write protected or something.

I assume you've read through this entire thread, post 13 particularly. no99sqrd linked to an issue that sounds very similar. That link is part of another root thread, so maybe read through it also.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ---
SGS3 / AOKP

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
I assume you've read through this entire thread, post 13 particularly. no99sqrd linked to an issue that sounds very similar. That link is part of another root thread, so maybe read through it also.

Thanks. I did - but I missed something in it. I rebooted it manually but I didn't hold the volume up key while doing it. I'll give that a try tonight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Galaxy-Tab-3-8.0-Root-TWRP.jpg

The latest iteration in the Galaxy Tab series, the Galaxy Tab 3, has a lot going for it. The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 specifically features a 5MP camera, 16 or 32GB of onboard memory, a dual-core 1.5GHz CPU with 1.5GB of RAM, and as its name suggests, an 8-inch touchscreen display. The device is now rootable and also has a custom recovery ready to be flashed, so custom ROMs should also be on their way pretty soon. The guide below should help you get ready to flash custom ROMs, by way of rooting the device and install custom recovery (TWRP Recovery in this case).

I. Before You Begin
    1. Make sure you have backed up everything you care about from the device before you begin.

2. Charge your device to 75% or more before you start.

3. Install the proper drivers before you start. Usually, installation of Kies will take care of this.

II. Necessary Downloads
    1. Odin307.zip

2. TWRP_T31x_r3.tar [or the latest version from this post under the Downloads section]

3. ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip

III. Installing TWRP Recovery on the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
    1. Extract Odin307.zip to a folder on your desktop.

2. Copy TWRP_T31x_r3.tar to the extracted Odin307 folder.

3. Double-click on Odin3 v3.07.exe from the extracted folder to start the Odin tool.

4. Power down your device and put it into download mode. To do this, press and hold the Home + Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for 3 to 5 seconds until you see the warning screen.

5. Connect your device to your Windows PC using a compatible microUSB cable. If your PC installs drivers at this point, let it do so. Once that is done, the ID:COM field on Odin should light up yellow, signifying that Odin has recognized your device without a problem. If not, make sure you install the proper drivers (by installing Samsung Kies) and try again.

6. Click on the PDA button on Odin and navigate to the location of TWRP_T31x_r3.tar to load it on to Odin.

7. Wait for the PASS message on Odin and reboot your device.

You should now have TWRP Recovery installed!

IV. Rooting the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
    1. Boot into recovery by powering down the device, pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up buttons until you see the Galaxy Tab 3 splash screen and letting go of the Power button once you see it. Continue pressing the Volume Up button until you get to TWRP Recovery.

2. Hold your device in portrait mode, and tap on Reboot on the bottom right of the screen and then select System on the next menu.

3. You will be asked to install root. Accept it and the device will reboot.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions that will now appear after your device has powered on.

V. Alternate method for Rooting
    If the section IV steps failed to obtain root, here is an alternate method to get you going.

1. Copy the ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip you downloaded above to your internal/external SD card.

2. Boot into TWRP Recovery as detailed in Section IV > Step 1.

3. Tap on Install once in TWRP Recovery.

4. Navigate to the location of ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip and select it.

5. Swipe to confirm the flash.

6. Go back to the main menu, tap on Reboot and then tap on System.

You should definitely be rooted after your device reboots. To confirm, install Root Checker Lite from the Play Store or any other root requiring app and you will prompted to grant root access via the now-installed Superuser app.
    This thread is for Android 4.2.2 but will not work with Android 4.4.2

I successfully rooted with this:
    droidviews.com/root-galaxy-tab-3-8-0-sm-t310-on-kitkat

Then Installed custom recovery,
    philz_touch_6.19.3-lt01wifi.tar.md5

My model # is: SM-T3100ZWYXAR

:laugh:
    yeah was wondering the same.. also does anyone know if a rom from the 7 or 10.1 section can work on the 8?

No they won't sorry. All Galaxy tab sizes are based on different chipsets.

Yes this will work on most current stock firmware as well.
    Simple, painless. (SM-T310) Thanks eeamshh worked a charm. Be sure to uncheck auto reboot in Odin folks and all will go smoothly. Power Tab down manually once Odin finishes and 3 button combo into TWRP. I used the alternate method installing .zip from SD, got a custom binary/system status count but whoop dee do da, such minor details never bother me. AdAway here I come...
    Odin tool installs malware

I downloaded Odin 3.0.9 from its official site(google for it, I cannot include a link)
    Beware, this tool installs lots of malware- including browser add-ons, different search engine, and more (it does give you warnings in the form of license agreements, that most people never read).

i was lucky to notice...