[SECURITY] Vulnerability workaround for ExynosAbuse exploit, no root required

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Because an exploit and vulnerability has been released long before vendors had a chance to fix it and distributes patches, I though it could be useful to develop an app that regular people, who don't necessarily want to root or mod their devices can install to avoid being vulnerable.

Vulnerability and exploit by alephzain : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2048511
The application page on my blog

voodoo-exynos-vulnerability-app-168x300.png
voodoo-exynos-vulnerability-app-1-168x300.png

Characteristics of this app:

• Works on any device, let you know if your system is vulnerable
  • Doesn’t require root to apply the fix
  • Doesn’t modify your system, copy files or flash anything
  • Fix can be enabled or disable at will
  • Free of charge

Limitations:

• Break proper function of the Front camera on some Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II Samsung official firmwares when activated.
  • Might alter MHL/HDMI output functions on some devices (not confirmed)
  • Cannot protect efficiently against some potential attacks (typically, on boot).
  • The real fix by manufacturers or some carefully written custom kernels will indeed be the only true solutions to this vulnerability − and won’t introduce any feature regression like this one does with some firmwares on cameras.
  • Comes without any kind of support or warranty.

Last edited:

ss2i9100g

Oct 11, 2011
I can't see the download link!
Thanks for the quick response

V0.2 download link is down on your blog

Last edited:

OmahaBasil

Dec 17, 2012
SPH-L710 is unaffected

It looks like my Samsung Galaxy S III is unaffected by this exploit. I have the Sprint version (SPH-L710). Either Samsung pushed an update or it isn't affected on this model.

Riio

Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for the fix, greatly appreciated! As warned, it breaks camera functionality on my International Note 2 (N7100), green screen instead of normal view.

BZJoe

Aug 5, 2007
New York
AT&T GS2 tested - not affected

I just downloaded and ran your app. It reported my AT&T GS2 as not affected. Thank you for doing this app.:good:

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
It looks like my Samsung Galaxy S III is unaffected by this exploit. I have the Sprint version (SPH-L710). Either Samsung pushed an update or it isn't affected on this model.
I just downloaded and ran your app. It reported my AT&T GS2 as not affected. Thank you for doing this app.:good:
Neither of your phones have Exynos processors. The international GS2&3 and the Sprint variant of the GS2 are a few of the susceptible devices.

Elite Tester for Mijjz Goodness
sigpic4619062_2.gif

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Because an exploit and vulnerability has been released long before vendors had a chance to fix it and distributes patches, I though it could be useful to develop an app that regular people, who don't necessarily want to root or mod their devices can install to avoid being vulnerable.

Vulnerability and exploit by alephzain : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2048511

• Free of charge

Limitations:

• Break proper function of the Front camera on Galaxy S III Samsung official firmwares when activated
  • Might alter HDMI output functions on some devices (not confirmed)
Glad folks like you are out there making up for others irresponsible actions. This is probably the exploit used to hack phantom phaker's E4GT, and that guy is a scripting genius.

sigpic4619062_2.gif

Last edited:

BrainOfSweden

Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for such a quick fix. The app says my SGS2 is vulnerable, so I activated it instantly. Good thing both cameras function properly. Is there anything else that could malfunction with the fix applied?

B

baz77

why does this app need Internet access permissions? ^^

Last edited:

edwardplus

Apr 26, 2011
Hong Kong
My Galaxy Note II LTE(N7105) cameras (front and rear) work fine after activated.
However I still wanna ask what malfunction of front camera is/are?

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
why does this app need Internet access permissions? ^^

For a fix it shouldnt be needed. If it only runs the chmod 600.

Proof of to much integration between lowest hardware layers and os layers.
Next vulnerability is reading device memory old school like. Rant

Copy-paste from the download page (please read!)
version 0.4

• Add missing Internet permissions for Flurry analytics:
    I will likely share installation figures with my Samsung security contacts, so they get an idea of the interest generated by this kind of early fix.
  • Clarify apply on boot limitations.

I find interesting to have a rough idea of how many people get a fix, and then compare with the total amount of vulnerable systems that can be guessed by approximate sales announced.

Also, in case (which I don't hope) Samsung or some Carriers tend to be slow at releasing an update fixing properly this vulnerability, those install statistics might be a way to pressure them hurrying up.

I would have not used additional analytics if the app was released on Google Play, as it lets you know already plenty of details about apps installations.
But as my app uses the exploit to detect the presence of the vulnerability Google would have probably removed it quickly, and banned my account at the same time; A risk I cannot afford.

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
You are INCORRECT, the ORIGINAL AT&T S2 "I777" is an exact replica of the international except for the capacitive buttons....He knows what he's saying it is an EXYNOS device!!!!

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_i777-4130.php
Well if the app is saying that his device is unaffected, then he does not have the ORIGINAL AT&T S2 and thus does not have Exynos processors. I stand by my statement.

sigpic4619062_2.gif

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Just curious, what was his story?
I don't know many details and it is all second hand. I will try to get someone closer to the situation in here to comment as to provide more accurate information.

EDIT: and I should clarify. It has been speculated by other users that this was the exploit used to hack phaker's phone. I have not heard this from phaeker himself.

sigpic4619062_2.gif

Last edited:

x2h

Jun 22, 2007
i dowloaded it but my computer reports it's a virus (trojan) and quarantined it...

hotsync100

Jun 27, 2009
Caracas
thank you very much for this!!

Is it possible to activate/deactivate it with tasker intents ? I would like to use the camera some times.. :D

Galaxy i9300 stock ELKC

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
Just curious, what was his story?
Rather than edit my last post and miss your attention, I'm posting a new response. After speaking with someone with current/direct contact with phaeker, his issue has been resolved and was unrelated but if you would like to contact him via PM, you are more than welcome to.

sigpic4619062_2.gif

trobinou

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you very much for this patch.

I have 2 N7100:
- 1 - Root + Crash 3.1 Rom's - N7100XXALJ2 - Kernel Redpill 0.10
- 2 - Not root + Samsung rom's - N7100XXDLK7-Kernel 3.0.31-590308 SMP PREEMPT

2 phones were impacted by the weakness. After the application of the patch, the camera on 2 phones do not work any more ( green screen).

Sorry for my bad English.

Reactions: supercurio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Free of charge

Limitations:

• Break proper function of the Front camera on some Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II Samsung official firmwares when activated.
    • Might alter MHL/HDMI output functions on some devices (not confirmed)
    • Cannot protect efficiently against some potential attacks (typically, on boot).
    • The real fix by manufacturers or some carefully written custom kernels will indeed be the only true solutions to this vulnerability − and won’t introduce any feature regression like this one does with some firmwares on cameras.
    • Comes without any kind of support or warranty.
    Neither of your phones have Exynos processors. The international GS2&3 and the Sprint variant of the GS2 are a few of the susceptible devices.

sigpic4619062_2.gif

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

• Free of charge

Limitations:

• Break proper function of the Front camera on Galaxy S III Samsung official firmwares when activated
    • Might alter HDMI output functions on some devices (not confirmed)
    Glad folks like you are out there making up for others irresponsible actions. This is probably the exploit used to hack phantom phaker's E4GT, and that guy is a scripting genius.

sigpic4619062_2.gif
    the galaxy camera also has this vulnerability, but the camera function still works fine after applying your fix.
    Thank you very much for this patch.

I have 2 N7100:
    - 1 - Root + Crash 3.1 Rom's - N7100XXALJ2 - Kernel Redpill 0.10
    - 2 - Not root + Samsung rom's - N7100XXDLK7-Kernel 3.0.31-590308 SMP PREEMPT

2 phones were impacted by the weakness. After the application of the patch, the camera on 2 phones do not work any more ( green screen).

Sorry for my bad English.