[Q] Texts over 160 Characters Fail - Stock Message App

Search This thread

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
Stock Verizon GN3, Stock Message App.

This seems to be a new problem, but whenever I try to send texts with more than 160 characters, it just fails to send. If I reduce the text to 160 or under, it sends just fine. When I first found the problem of it not sending, I pulled the battery and SIM card, and if I remember right, it then did send the long text. But it stopped again shortly after.

I have looked through all the settings, but don't see anything that would automatically split it into 2 texts, or anything else relevant.

Is this an inherent limitation of the Stock Messaging App that I've only just noticed, or something not working right?

I've seen suggestions to switch to Handcent or other App, and I might do this, but would like to get the Stock App to handle this properly if possible.

Thanks.

Janker5050

Jan 15, 2011
Pittsburgh
Any text over 160 characters your phone converts the message to a MMS message that uses your data connection instead of your cell signal like a SMS message..Now I think this is a Verizon thing but if u use wanams xposed module or the other xposed modules that will stop the conversion to MMS and just split the text... that is the only way I know to change it without editing the code....

Sent from my VZW Note3..ha..ha..

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
Any text over 160 characters your phone converts the message to a MMS message that uses your data connection instead of your cell signal like a SMS message..Now I think this is a Verizon thing but if u use wanams xposed module or the other xposed modules that will stop the conversion to MMS and just split the text... that is the only way I know to change it without editing the code....

Thanks for the reply.

If it just converts it to MMS, then it should still just send, and not fail. I understand that it'll use my Data connection, rather than the cell signal, but this shouldn't be a problem: I have Verizon's 3G Network Extender in my home (since my home has poor reception), and I'm sitting right next to it, and a strong WiFi signal available from my ISP, for data.

If this is the case, I still don't understand why it would fail to send, even as an MMS??

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Verizon sets up MMS service so that it is only available across a mobile data connection, so your wifi shouldn't be playing a role. And SMS service (which is much older technology than MMS and doesn't use the same "mobile data" link as MMS) also uses the cell radio exclusively.

I use the stock messaging app for texts over 160 characters without a problem (it turns them into MMS as the prior respondent mentioned), but I am on MJ7. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I wonder if it is a bug relating to your use of a network extender? You would know if you got a different result when sending texts > 160 chars when you were on VZW's regular network away from your place.

I recently helped my sister out with a similar set of troubles, and the problem turned out that her (at&t) range extender was hung/frozen.

If that was the case, you would have erratic "trouble" sending any MMS messages. In any event, you should see the "network extender icon" in your notification bar - but it might be useful to verify that you do have a data connection through the extender (turn off WiFi and see if you can still browse).

It won't hurt to power cycle the extender, wait for all it's status lights come up correctly, and then see if that changes anything. (You can send yourself text messages).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: DLCPhoto

Janker5050

Jan 15, 2011
Pittsburgh
Try and send yourself or somebody a picture message and report if it goes through fine so we can eliminated any MMS problems..and MMS won't send from wifi...only 3 or 4g

Reactions: DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
Thanks for the added ideas and suggestions guys. I had wondered if the Network Extender might be mucking things up. I'll explore the various trouble-shooting steps you both suggested, and track it down.

Will re-post if problems persist.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Verizon sets up MMS service so that it is only available across a mobile data connection, so your wifi shouldn't be playing a role. And SMS service (which is much older technology than MMS and doesn't use the same "mobile data" link as MMS) also uses the cell radio exclusively.

I use the stock messaging app for texts over 160 characters without a problem (it turns them into MMS as the prior respondent mentioned), but I am on MJ7. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I wonder if it is a bug relating to your use of a network extender? You would know if you got a different result when sending texts > 160 chars when you were on VZW's regular network away from your place.

I recently helped my sister out with a similar set of troubles, and the problem turned out that her (at&t) range extender was hung/frozen.

If that was the case, you would have erratic "trouble" sending any MMS messages. In any event, you should see the "network extender icon" in your notification bar - but it might be useful to verify that you do have a data connection through the extender (turn off WiFi and see if you can still browse).

It won't hurt to power cycle the extender, wait for all it's status lights come up correctly, and then see if that changes anything. (You can send yourself text messages).

Hope that helps.
    Try and send yourself or somebody a picture message and report if it goes through fine so we can eliminated any MMS problems..and MMS won't send from wifi...only 3 or 4g