Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery on Skyrocket?

Search This thread

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
I just got the battery from verizon
I tried the contra code doesn't work
it won't click on the left side next to the battery
any help from you guys would be appreciated

sent from my 727

any help from you guys would be appreciated

sent from my 727

I asked the same thing above, and got the same reply I'm about to give you.... there is no help to give, it doesn't fit securely, what you got is what you'll get

I'm going to try the Seidio Surface case for it, I think, should work out okay, but I'm concerned how it will fit in the car dock I found that's a much better fit than the tiny LTE-less SGSII some moron on Amazon told people to buy....

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
This is exactly what I need. That's why I'm not giving up.
1-step: decided that I was gonna keep the battery, so I sacrificed the warranty for that. shaved a little width by stripping the battery from its label (still has thick NFC antenna)
*Didn't work*
Planned steps
2- shaving a bit of the cover (on the inside)
3- getting rid of the NFC antenna

sent from my 727

This is exactly what I need. That's why I'm not giving up.
1-step: decided that I was gonna keep the battery, so I sacrificed the warranty for that. shaved a little width by stripping the battery from its label (still has thick NFC antenna)
*Didn't work*
Planned steps
2- shaving a bit of the cover (on the inside)
3- getting rid of the NFC antenna

sent from my 727

1. I don't see how that would work - thought about it and quickly dismissed it because I don't want to damage the battery
  2. The cover is like 1.5mm thick - how much are you going to be able to shave off? If you pull too much off and the battery pokes through, I guess that's not the worst thing if you have a case or decal going over it, but otherwise, it's gonna look awful....
  3. I'm not even sure how you would do that, is that the single layer of adhesive that goes over the outside of the battery? Doesn't seem like it's going to do anything considering we're talking about the top left corner of the battery here, not the center where the NFC antenna is most likely located

Dwain77

1. I'm not even sure how you would do that, is that the single layer of adhesive that goes over the outside of the battery? Doesn't seem like it's going to do anything considering we're talking about the top left corner of the battery here, not the center where the NFC antenna is most likely located

Is it not possible to sand/cut a little of the plastic away from the edges of the battery? I'd assume a quick buzz with a sanding wheel on a dremel around the entire black plastic edge of the battery would allow a little better fit, right?

Of course I don't have one of the batteries at this point, so maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Is it not possible to sand/cut a little of the plastic away from the edges of the battery? I'd assume a quick buzz with a sanding wheel on a dremel around the entire black plastic edge of the battery would allow a little better fit, right?

Of course I don't have one of the batteries at this point, so maybe I'm missing something.

I really wouldn't.... messing with the casing on a battery is the same as grinding off proportionately the same amount on a phone - too much and you just hit the antenna or motherboard or edge of the screen.... too much in the case (no pun intended) on the battery case and you might get into trouble

It's all personal preference, I just won't be sanding down batteries any time soon - this coming from someone with $100K in modifications to a MINI Cooper S that could never return to stock with all the work done to it!

Dwain77

I really wouldn't.... messing with the casing on a battery is the same as grinding off proportionately the same amount on a phone - too much and you just hit the antenna or motherboard or edge of the screen.... too much in the case (no pun intended) on the battery case and you might get into trouble

With all due respect it's not the same at all. I'm not willing to shave/sand away at my phone that I paid a couple hundred dollars for...who cares about experimenting with a $30 battery? Granted there isn't a very thick casing on the battery, but from reports there isn't a very big gap being created in shoving this in the Skyrocket. So maybe there's just enough to make up the difference of the bulge?

If you grind too much off of the battery case you'll only hit, well the battery...or maybe the NFC which doesn't work on my AT&T phone anyway. Again, worse case is you ruin a $30 battery.

Last edited:

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
Well everyone, I got a look at the battery after I last posted. My wife got interested in what I was staring at, and asked a few questions. Her suggestion was to go at the top-left battery corner with my dremel(like dwain later suggested)

IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

The cover clicked into place. No bulge either!
I recommend doing the same if yours doesn't click

On the improvement in battery life, I may have had a bad battery before, cause got more than the expected %15. I'd say %20, but i have an issue with the radio

If anyone wants pics, I'll post some (my handiwork was not that clean since the job took 3 seconds)

sent from my 727

Last edited:

Dwain77

Well everyone, I got a look at the battery after I last posted. My wife got interested in what I was staring at, and asked a few questions. Her suggestion was to go at the top-left battery corner with my dremel(like dwain later suggested)

IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

The cover clicked into place. No bulge either!
I recommend doing the same if yours doesn't click

On the improvement in battery life, I may have had a bad battery before, cause got more than the expected %15. I'd say %20, but i have an issue with the radio

If anyone wants pics, I'll post some (my handiwork was not that clean since the job took 3 seconds)

Awesome, I was hoping someone would try this. I get pretty good battery life out of my standard battery, but will eventually be picking up one of these to replace it.

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Please press the thank button if I helped

sent from my transformer prime

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333581802650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333581802650.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

Huh.... so it doesn't dig that deep into the battery, and it's all plastic behind it, pretty interesting, I'm going to break out the Dremel then! How come you didn't wrap it back up, did it lose all of it's tack when unwrapping it?

While looking at it under a bright light, I'm seeing that the top corner only needs a SLIGHT shave to get smooth.... going to experiment with a razor blade now!

EDIT - definitely had to shave off a lot more than you did to get the cover to lay flat.... I cut a little bit at a time and kept checking the battery door to see if it would close and it wouldn't until I took off enough of a chunk that the battery was much more exposed than the tiny hole in it you have! Going to fill it with a sealant now to make sure nothing harmful gets inside the battery without adding any bulk to it and raising the cover back up

Last edited:

SeV034

Mar 13, 2012
As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Ordered mine...will be trying this when it comes in..thanks for the pics

Sent from my Samsung-I727
ROM: Nexusmod ICS beta 3

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
Huh.... so it doesn't dig that deep into the battery, and it's all plastic behind it, pretty interesting, I'm going to break out the Dremel then! How come you didn't wrap it back up, did it lose all of it's tack when unwrapping it?

While looking at it under a bright light, I'm seeing that the top corner only needs a SLIGHT shave to get smooth.... going to experiment with a razor blade now!

EDIT - definitely had to shave off a lot more than you did to get the cover to lay flat.... I cut a little bit at a time and kept checking the battery door to see if it would close and it wouldn't until I took off enough of a chunk that the battery was much more exposed than the tiny hole in it you have! Going to fill it with a sealant now to make sure nothing harmful gets inside the battery without adding any bulk to it and raising the cover back up

you actually don't need to take off much to make it fit the same. Even without shaving the battery I can nearly close the backing completely as with the stock battery. You just have to start with the left side when re-apply the back cover and go from there.

040420122549.jpg

Attachments

• 040420122549.jpg
    040420122549.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
you actually don't need to take off much to make it fit the same. Even without shaving the battery I can nearly close the backing completely as with the stock battery. You just have to start with the left side when re-apply the back cover and go from there.

For SOME people, that works. It never worked with my battery since I picked it up from Verizon the same day AT&T shipped me the phone....

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011

The "contra code" doesn't work for all of us. I tried several times., as did others. It either works for your phone (or battery?) or it doesn't

sent from my 727

creedicd

Nov 26, 2011
I wouldn't shave down the battery. They are made with lithium which can either explode or catch fire when exposed to enough moisture. Dell and Sony lost millions in recalls due to defective lithium batteries.
"the juice ain't worth the squeeze" to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't shave down the battery. They are made with lithium which can either explode or catch fire when exposed to enough moisture. Dell and Sony lost millions in recalls due to defective lithium batteries.
"the juice ain't worth the squeeze" to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

the issue with sony was caused by one of two reasons, both have been widely known since before lithium was used in batteries. Shaving the battery shouldn't hit on either of the reasons

You are taking risks when modifying anything, electronic or not, don't do what I did unless you understand and accept those risks. {end of legal statement, lol}

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this info should be added to the op:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Go to Sprint Employee Referral Program [sprint.com]
    2. enter: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com (as email) // 383 as Employee ID // [this info is public]
    3. make your way to accessories, select galaxy Nexus, add the battery [sprint.com] to cart and enter battery1 coupon code
    4. check out (total should be free, with free shipping), be sure to enter the employee email and ID on the check out page again.
    5. wait for the sent email

NOTE: The description says that it is a bundle that is free with purchase of GNex but it will allow you to checkout with just the battery in your cart! When I applied the coupon code, it redirected me to select a phone. When i clicked back (google chrome) and reapplied the coupon, it took me to checkout (free).
    ------------------------

This worked for me.
    Okay friends, now's the time to stock up! check out this deal for a FREE Nexus extended battery from Sprint! http://slickdeals.net/f/5055866-FREE-Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery?

I bought one for $0 shipped. Did have to enter my credit card info of course.

Enjoy!
    Here's an instructable on one method of trimming down the battery for those who have poor fitment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery-to-fit-the-/
    Do you mind posting pics of what you did?

Your wish is granted :)