GSM SIM card mode for Sptint Glaxy Note II?

Search This thread

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
Is any one brave enough to perform this mode on their new SGN II? :)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32593285#post32593285

I believe the little metal shield near the microSD slot is Sprint SIM-chip - it in the same spot as SIM slot on other versions of SGN II and it looks similar to the one in the above Motorola phone.

There is a dual SIM adaptor for this phone here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952770

so theoretically it could be used to split the connection with Sprint SIM-chip and another real full size SIM

Last edited:

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
I would love to see the same thing. I was thinking about moving to the Galaxy Note 2 until I read about the embedded SIM. I hope Sprint backs away from this trend or at least someone can hack the Note to allow for SIM switching.

randy2

Jan 9, 2009
I would love to see the same thing. I was thinking about moving to the Galaxy Note 2 until I read about the embedded SIM. I hope Sprint backs away from this trend or at least someone can hack the Note to allow for SIM switching.

If someone can show the pcb board I will start to see if the sim slot can be modded back on to the phone but its looking like i have to wait to get my own to see if i can mod it

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
Nice photos, can you make a video to show exactly where the sim card is and how it's embedded? Is it soldered or is it just built into the pcb board?

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
Nice photos, can you make a video to show exactly where the sim card is and how it's embedded? Is it soldered or is it just built into the pcb board?

You will not see a real SIM card if that is what you expect yo see - It's an ASIC microchip.

the "SIM-chip" is clearly visible one of the posted pictures:
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/1346/20121030103716.jpg

It is right next to the white letters SPH-L900
And as you can see it is almost the same as in Motorola Photon phone in the original thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32593285#post32593285

First picture on the right (also has 880120000 on top) - just a different version
That original thread has couple videos with removal procedure, it would be exactly the same here.

Darkendvoid88, Thank you for posting pictures!!!!!

Last edited:

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Very daunting but at least I know it's theoretically possible. If only this was more practical! :(

It appears that you'd have to have the phone taken apart just to use the foreign sim card, which is impractical. Maybe it could be stuffed below or above the battery, of course assuming the little wires could fit through some crevice or crack somewhere in the back. Otherwise, this type of hack basically just makes it possible to find your favorite foreign sim card, stick it in and close the device back up.

When I traveled around Germany and the UK this summer, it was super convenient to just switch to the new sim when I needed but I don't see that this will be possible even with this type of hack. Damn!

Last edited:
Reactions: guisar

Darkendvoid88

May 31, 2011
St. Louis
The op just has it set up like that because the photon is sealed and has a "non removeable" back. There is little to no room for the sim reader. An extended battery back might make this easier for us. Also if anyone has ever taken apart an S2 there is a clip next to the battery terminals. Ours is the same dissassembly process and that clip could be broken off to allow for easy wire routing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

nazman23

Oct 30, 2012
The op just has it set up like that because the photon is sealed and has a "non removeable" back. There is little to no room for the sim reader. An extended battery back might make this easier for us. Also if anyone has ever taken apart an S2 there is a clip next to the battery terminals. Ours is the same dissassembly process and that clip could be broken off to allow for easy wire routing.

looks like the sim reader would go right in same place as the GSM sim version either trim the sprint case to model it the same as the GSM sim version or buy a GSM sim replacement case.

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
looks like the sim reader would go right in same place as the GSM sim version either trim the sprint case to model it the same as the GSM sim version or buy a GSM sim replacement case.

You can't simply replace the chip with SIM card slot. You will lose Sprint LTE. To make it right you's need to solder a dual SIM adapter instead of the chip, then solder chip back in to micro SIM slot of the adapter and use the regular SIM slot for other SIM you might want to use. The software that comes with an adaptor will help you switch between chip and the SIM

Reactions: foxoxjd

randy2

Jan 9, 2009

No u are exactly correct that chip controls sprint lte access but the good news is a secondary sim slot can be placed directly over it without much case modification you just have to wire it up and remove the metal block from the pcb cover Case also wireless charging is definitely in play due to the pcb is wired for it a lot of hardware modification promise

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

hitdog44

Jan 7, 2011
You can't simply replace the chip with SIM card slot. You will lose Sprint LTE. To make it right you's need to solder a dual SIM adapter instead of the chip, then solder chip back in to micro SIM slot of the adapter and use the regular SIM slot for other SIM you might want to use. The software that comes with an adaptor will help you switch between chip and the SIM

I am not a fan of the Iphone, but my wife has the 4s and I was able to call sprint to have them unlock the phone so we can use it overseas with another sim card. With that being said is the Iphone the only phone that has the slot to easily take out the card and replace it with another card if traveling overseas?

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
I wonder if the pcb boards or internals used in the Verizon version could be swapped out for Sprint? It would be pretty interesting if a Verizon version of this phone just required a transplant of the LTE sim chip.

patrickjaden

Sep 11, 2012
I am not a fan of the Iphone, but my wife has the 4s and I was able to call sprint to have them unlock the phone so we can use it overseas with another sim card. With that being said is the Iphone the only phone that has the slot to easily take out the card and replace it with another card if traveling overseas?

Well, the GNII doesn't have that ability :/

Last edited:

Darkendvoid88

May 31, 2011
St. Louis
The original Photon has a removable sim. Not sure about sprints unlocking policy on that device though.

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
The original Photon has a removable sim. Not sure about sprints unlocking policy on that device though.

I own this Photon and it worked well since it's unlocked for foreign sims but it won't see an update beyond 2.3 since Motorola won't upgrade it. GN2 is the phone I want to upgrade to but this embedded sim is my biggest problem with it.

leond

Jul 15, 2008
Boston
No u are exactly correct that chip controls sprint lte access but the good news is a secondary sim slot can be placed directly over it without much case modification you just have to wire it up and remove the metal block from the pcb cover Case also wireless charging is definitely in play due to the pcb is wired for it a lot of hardware modification promise

Randy, Are you saying saying there is no need to remove the chip just solder wires from it's legs to SIM slot and switch with software?

randy2

Jan 9, 2009
Exactly someone would have to unlock it software wise but a simple soder hack and some super glue will allow it to be used directly on top of chip with wires straight to the right connections.. The chip cannot I repeat cannot be removed it manages the sprint frequency of lte and International roaming to remove it would take away ur ability to have lte but the positive is its not that locked down from what I'm hearing its a simple mod hardware wise. also the wireless hack is super super easy I don't understand why sprint left the tech for wireless charging in and routed correctly but removed the access to them. Go figure as soon as I get a device ill do some tinkering

Darkendvoid88

May 31, 2011
St. Louis
I have to tear it down again tomorrow when I get to the store as I screwed up the rubber grommet that goes around the headphone jack (covering the hole atm). So if you guys need any more pictures of the chip / insides I'd be happy to oblige.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Revision 2 OTW

:eek:Wow uh seems alot of people would like this... please click the thanks if you like this project, not saying that XDA is a high school competition for popularity but it doesn't hurt to get noticed by the XDA cheerleaders...

I would like to caution everyone, this is still in the design phase, once the cap is built the software still needs to be tested, this whole project could be for nothing if we find the software, however unlikely, has been locked down and no developer is available to write some dirty code work around. With that if anyone one of the senior members or developers would like to test it let me know, I will get a couple test runs created for free for the developers to make sure the software works.

On to business, I have a couple other engineers that may be collaborating on this project, and from the straw poll so far it looks pretty even split, so I maybe looking at making the cap then designing the connectors next, one thing to think about with the midplate is we have to put the connection hardware back in to the plate(for the SIM). The goal of this project is to make something the lease damaging to the current build of the phone, so if you need to do a warranty claim its just a simple matter of removing the cap or midplate.

Revision 2 of the cap, I am putting a 1-2 degree tilt on the contactors towards pins, pulling up the height of the cap from .11cm to .1cm(maybe more) to compensate for any factory differences in the making of the board. I am hoping to get a quote next week on the cap, but it seems a lot of people want the midplate for the GSM note, so I may get a quote for the cap and then look at engineering two connectors one free floating (with the two connectors, one normal SIM one Micro), and the midplate which more than likely will have all the connections built on to it.
    sim mod for SPH-L900 into N7100

i am so frustrated!
    ok this will be a 2 part post first the hardware mods next what i have been having trouble with.

CLICKING THANKS WOULD BE APPRECIATED HAHAHAH

this is the step by step to install sim card module and mod the back plate im also attaching the pictures

step 1 remove screws/remove sd card

step 2 i lined up the new module's sim and marked points for cutting later ( you will actually be better off getting a brand new N7100 back plate i will show the reason on step 6,7 and 8)

step 3 remove back plate

step 4 remove the connection then remove old LTE and sd card module. you can just peel this off but it is attached with a 2 sided tape. it is pretty sticky i used a credit card to pry it off so there would not be any scratches and prevent bending the part.

step 5 install new module with sim adapter. ( i peeled off a piece of 2 sided take from the old module and used it to stick the new one on)

step 6 i cut the back plate using a dremel tool

step 7 you see that white circle with the "L1" right below the sd card hole, that actually will interfere with the new module so you have to cut some more off

step 8 this is how i cut the part off.

step 9 install back plate ( i had to fine tune the cuts with a nail file before installing the back plate perfectly. )

step 10 install back sim card and battery.
    Will do. Any idea what the connector right above them does?

Ill figure it out im going against schematics of various pcb boards and various note 2 configurations now and trying to figure out what does what

Here is my to do list once i get my phone

1. Wireless charging hack
    2. sim card adaptation
    3. tri-mode sim card adaptation thats two sim slots plus the sprint internal international roaming.
    I plan to do all these mods with almost no permanent modification meaning everyone will be able to reverse and return to store with full warranty in tact.
    sim mod for SPH-L900 into N7100

ok this is part 2 and the frustrating part of my past 2 days.

Again CLICKING THE THANKS BUTTON WOULD BE APPRECIATED. (I HAVEN'T GONE TO WORK IN 2 DAYS LOL AND YOUR THANKS IS ENOUGH )

heres some info about my phone
    white sph-l900
    Rooted using Odin
    flashed L900VPALJ1 using TWRP
    also installed multi window all using TWRP

i have place my phone on GSM/UMTS there isnt an option to place the phone on roaming for voice or text only data.

im also comparing my results with JMHershey125 results but i did not get a pop up screen reguarding an unlock or any pin required to resume.

test 1 (international sim)
    the Sim toolkit did start running and popped up under my apps bin (attachment pic#1). i did all the options to run the phone as a roaming phone while on an international roaming sim cards from the philippines. (attachment pic 2 and 3) and it is recognized by the phone that problem right now it that its not connecting to any network.

test 2 (t mobile sim)
    nothing happens. the sim toolkit does not pop up but the sim car is recognized by the phone.

test 3 (no sim)
    you have to have a sim to place it back into cdma mode it will not give you an option to switch network modes if you do not have a sim card installed

now for the really frustrating part !
    i was able to unlock my brothers phone on t-mobile using these steps

Step 1: On your Galaxy Note II, launch the phone app and press these keys:
    *#197328640#

Step 2: From the Main Menu, navigate to [1] UMTS > [1]Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options.

Step 3: In the Options screen, choose [3] Perso SHA256 OFF. Wait for 30 seconds after making this selection.

Step 4: Go back one step by pressing the menu key, and then back once. You should now again be in [6] Network Lock

Step 5: Here, now choose [4]NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ. Wait for one minute after making the choice.

Step 6: After a minute has passed, reboot your Galaxy Note II.

what i want to know is what is the code to get into Sprints Note 2 debug screen because *#197328640# does not work for the sprint version it only works on ATT and Tmobile.
    SIM card Mod

Some of you might interested.
    some Chinese guys on taobao claim the L900 Now can be used with GSM/WCDMA SIM card, (also the CDMA RUIM card)
    They said that it is done by exchange the L900 SIM cardmodule with the N7100 one.
    No need to solder anything, just need to open the back and exchange the module, then cut the plastic cover to fit the simcard slot.
    No software mod is mentioned so I assumed that there isn't any foreign SIM lock.

Notice: I don't own a L900 nor I can test the mod by myself. Do the mod at your own risk

Source: (chinese)
    http://www.diypda.com/thread-914600-1-1.html
    The original post needs registration and reply in order to see the pics so I just copy them to here.

nzhau0.jpg

vicysw.jpg

szjxn5.jpg

mu97gx.jpg

2lbpawx.jpg

91glld.jpg

9to6lt.jpg