Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399 Discussion and Development

Search This thread

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
A little off topic...Dropped my Galaxy Light in the sink - DOH! Let it dry out in rice and it boots up as long as the battery is in but the battery won't charge. Took it to Tmobile and asked the sales guy to try a new battery to see if it would boot but it didn't work either. Overstock.com has replacement batteries for $10 so I am tempted to buy one just to test it out but I think I know what the results will be, Anyway, I am curious if anyone is able to boot their phone without a battery as long as it is plugged in. For me it's a no-go, but we probably know why. I am thinking I will need ot buy another phone. Good luck to everyone else here.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
A little off topic...Dropped my Galaxy Light in the sink - DOH! Let it dry out in rice and it boots up as long as the battery is in but the battery won't charge. Took it to Tmobile and asked the sales guy to try a new battery to see if it would boot but it didn't work either. Overstock.com has replacement batteries for $10 so I am tempted to buy one just to test it out but I think I know what the results will be, Anyway, I am curious if anyone is able to boot their phone without a battery as long as it is plugged in. For me it's a no-go, but we probably know why. I am thinking I will need ot buy another phone. Good luck to everyone else here.

Did you try the bag of rice trick? Put some (uncooked) rice in a zip-lock bag with the phone, and the rice will draw out the moisture.

I'd love to see some development for this phone, even if (especially if) if it's a simple AOSP style rom. Heck, I'd do it myself if I had the slightest clue how.

My Galaxy Light is about to be relegated to a "back-up" phone, or possibly even sold off. A co-worker and her boyfriend are upgrading their Nexus 4s(16gb) to Galaxy S5s, and instead of trading them in and T-Mobile clearing the $120 they still owe on each of them, I'm just gonna give them the $240 for the pair, sell one off, and keep the other. I've been close to pulling the trigger on one anyway; I'd love to have one to hack and mod with kernals and roms (something I've never done), and now I can get one for like $60-80 (essentially, after selling one off). So I may or may not be hanging around the Galaxy Light threads much longer.

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
I'm actually thinking about getting a nexus 4 or 5 as my fun phone. The Light will be used as a work phone. I'm looking at picking up a Nexus One for really cheap, as well. The dev support for the Nexus line is awesome. Plus, they're really easy to root.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using xda premium

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
Hey guys I'm having a troubling issue, my contacts keeps force closing, I have cleared cache, and dalvic, even data for contacts. Still have issues. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
HI,
I am not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to get the Messaging 4.2.2 app off the Samsung Galaxy Light and install it on another phone running JB4.1.2? I ruined my Light dropping it in the water but I really, really like the texting app – ability to set separate notification sounds for contacts, ability to change font size by using the volume up/down button, etc... So far I have copied the messaging apk & odex files and tried pushing them to my new phone (LG F6), but that has not been successful. Trying to simply install the apk results in a failure to parse the package.
I have been using Handscent, and it does the job...but if anyone with more knowledge could let me know if this is even possible it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
HI,
I am not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to get the Messaging 4.2.2 app off the Samsung Galaxy Light and install it on another phone running JB4.1.2? I ruined my Light dropping it in the water but I really, really like the texting app – ability to set separate notification sounds for contacts, ability to change font size by using the volume up/down button, etc... So far I have copied the messaging apk & odex files and tried pushing them to my new phone (LG F6), but that has not been successful. Trying to simply install the apk results in a failure to parse the package.
I have been using Handscent, and it does the job...but if anyone with more knowledge could let me know if this is even possible it will be greatly appreciated.

It could be that Samsung coded their app to only work on Samsung devices.

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
I installed the NE4 rom, and lost cwm recovery. What do I do to get it back - would like to make a nandroid of the new system. Thanks.

Same thing you did before, odin flash it. Twrp is better though. Even though I helped woth cwm twrp is updated somewhat regularly.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Classpro

Jul 25, 2009
Can someone explain what they use xposed for? Also, what default samsung or Tmobile apps have people removed?

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone tried rooting with Geohot's new Towelroot? I've been thinking about updating through Kies and trying it.

Also, I've yet to install TWRP. Will flashing TWRP reset my data? No big deal if it does, I guess, but I just need to find the time to do back-ups of everything. It is about time I gave my phone an electronic enema anyway.

Can someone explain what they use xposed for? Also, what default samsung or Tmobile apps have people removed?

I use Network speed indicator.
Enable Camera on Lockscreen
Play Store Fixes
Samsung Multiple Widgets
Shortcut in App Info
XBatteryThemer
YouTube AdAway

I also use a few various multi-function modules to many visual tweaks, mainly to clear up the notifications panel and status bar. The screen is so small that space in the status bar and notification menu becomes precious, and these tweaks help a lot to make it a easier device to use and look at.

In Wanam:
  • Notifications panel
Hide input method switcher (gets rid of the keyboard icon​
Hide carrier label​
  • Lockscreen
Hide carrier label​
Flashlight via volume up​
Turn on screen when unplug (disabled)​
  • Sound
Disable loud volume warning​
Hide headset apps notification (just a truly horrible "feature")​
Also hide headset notification​
Disable camera shutter sound​
  • System
Enable Camera during call​

In XBlast Tools:
  • Status Bar
Double tap status bar to turn off screen​

I also had Xposed StatusBar Mods and XuiMod and Xposed Additions enabled, but when writing this list, I realized that some of my tweaks were redundant or that I wasn't actually using them.

As for bloat, I've disabled some Google services I never use, HP Print Services Lookout Security, T-Mobile TV, Mobile Life, and (Samsung apps) Group Play, Media Hub, Music Hub, Multimedia UI. There's probably some other crap I don't need that I could disable, but I haven't noticed anything getting in the way.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
OK, this is odd. I haven't done anything to my phone in the past few days except to update SuperSU to 2.0 and now it says my device status is official. I haven't done a system update, and it's still running M4J on Shabbypenguin's kernel.

Top Liked Posts