Shattered Screen Experience

Search This thread

Alaris

May 25, 2012
But they didn't try and charge you because of s-off it unlocked bootloader?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cjm1979

Apr 9, 2009
Batley
Unfortunately, they will still be able to tell. My screen shattered and I had an unlocked bootloader with S-off. Went back to stock, re-locked, changed re-locked to locked and removed tampered banner, and sent it in (from what I read turning S-on will trip re-locked and tampered so I didn't do).

Got a quote from them yesterday that they'd only replace my screen for free if I paid $290 for them to replace my motherboard since my bootloader was unlocked (they will look to see if you requested an unlock token from HTC Dev as well as looking on the device itself). After spending an hour on the phone with them yesterday they say they will do it for $145 but a supervisor is supposed to call me back so we can discuss more. They still haven't explained to me why the motherboard needs to be replaced besides "we have to since the bootloader was unlocked."

My approach when dealing with them is that there are two separate warranties for the phone - the screen replacement warranty and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the phone. The screen warranty doesn't mention unlocked bootloader voiding it, only that "unauthorized modifications.." will. Whereas the 1 year warranty mentions "unauthorized modifications..." as well as "the bootloader has been unlocked.." voiding the warranty.

I'll let you guys know where I get with them.

Following THIS guide leaves no trace at all. Just for future ref. Ive also sent them 2 HTC One X for the Wifi fault and bust speaker and they were relocked and they said nothing at all. Got them back within 10 days. Couldnt fault them at all. Seems to be luck of the draw or whic country your in.

Last edited:

cheno1115

May 3, 2013
So, what do you think happens when someone with the developers edition breaks their screen? Since it came S-ON but the bootloader was factory unlocked, would the tampered flag mean anything to them? Since it's the developer edition, you'd think they would EXPECT you to flash new ROMS on it..

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Still waiting for my damn phone ....sent it on the 28th ...paid on the 3rd ....nothing. will be nearly a month next week ...and I don't have a spare ...that means ive waisted £47 on my contract. what peas me off the most is that ive paid for my repair ...if they didn't have parts they should of said and I could of got the phone back and sent it in later. Laminate and touch window doesn't sound like gorilla glass either, why laminate the glass when its just gonna scratch so easy. Wish id of sold it now and got a new one. Did anyone else get laminate in there repair sheet?

Last edited:

bigragu

Jun 22, 2009
Baltimore
Still waiting for my damn phone ....sent it on the 28th ...paid on the 3rd ....nothing. will be nearly a month next week ...and I don't have a spare ...that means ive waisted £47 on my contract. what peas me off the most is that ive paid for my repair ...if they didn't have parts they should of said and I could of got the phone back and sent it in later. Laminate and touch window doesn't sound like gorilla glass either, why laminate the glass when its just gonna scratch so easy. Wish id of sold it now and got a new one. Did anyone else get laminate in there repair sheet?

Yeah, I don't know what kind of glass this is, but doesn't seem as good as the gorilla glass I had on my Amaze. Went out and bought this to cover the screen and I really like the look and feel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZFOGFM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, feel better that if I drop the phone again the screen won't shatter, but hopefully won't find out:D

lucky_strike33

I flashed the stock ROM , got rid of the tampered flag , went back to the "locked" state and used the tool kit to back to s-on. I paid the 20$ for the 2 day turnaround where they check your phone and send out a replacement device and didn't have any problems. The rep I spoke with saw that I had requested an unlock token but told me if my device was locked and s-on without a tampered flag the service tech would approve the repair. She said they don't see the token request.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I am doing the advanced exchange with HTC and i have ruu to stock rom but the superuser is installed. I was able to get locked and s on but I didn't unroot supersu, will that be a problem?? As long as I am locked with no tampered flags and S ON, I should be fine?

Thanks!

Onem8

Apr 5, 2014
I am doing the advanced exchange with HTC and i have ruu to stock rom but the superuser is installed. I was able to get locked and s on but I didn't unroot supersu, will that be a problem?? As long as I am locked with no tampered flags and S ON, I should be fine?

Thanks!
i leave it s-off and get i back s-off.. just disable superuser in setting or search in Google remove supersu [emoji6]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One_M8 met Tapatalk

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
Bottom line, denying a screen repair commitment because software was changed is disgusting. Are they suggesting that by unlocking our boot-loader we weaken the screen, increase the probability of breakage, or increase the force of gravity on the phone? This is simply outrageous, and all you Americans who have unlocked your boot-loader should inundate their Facebook page with detailed and well reasoned complaints. Community outrage forced them to allow unlocking in the first place! They should be forced to act with honour and reasonableness, and the only way to do this is to "out" them as scoundrels.

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
I am surprised they are charging people with unlocked bootloaders etc for screen replacements. Read up on Magnuson- Moss warranty act. Essentially its a federal law that prevents companies from refusing to do warranty work on some bs excuse. For example I will use a car for this . If you swap out your exhaust, then the air conditioner blows, they can NOT refuse you warranty work since the modification you performed had nothing to do with the problem.

Now I know HTC didnt have to offer a one time screen replacement (I dont know of any other company that does this without some sort of charge) since a cracked screen is not a defect but user negligence, but still, unlocking the bootloader/rooting didnt cause the screen to crack lol

NinjaWolf

Dec 28, 2010
California
Sending back my cracked m8 tomorrow, will keep u guys updated on my experience.
I had a Rooted, S-Off(Firewater), and Sprint. Followed a few guides and got it locked and s-on.
Im also using the advance repair so i already have the new one.

murf43143

Oct 29, 2007
***EDIT*** I would like to state that HTC did me right and they are fixing the phone for free. I will reply to this thread and explain.***EDIT***

I had sent mine back a week ago for a cracked screen, and I got an email today saying I needed to pay $290 to replace the screen. No reason was given other than it is "outside of the warranty", but the whole reason I bought the god damn HTC phone was the "HTC Advantage" which is now ****ting on me.

I had returned the phone to fully stock, removed all flags, left it S-OFF because almost everyone recommended that and sent it back.

This is such an insult as I have been a customer and am now on my 5th HTC phone in a row and while everyone else was going Samsung I stayed true only to get a huge duce dropped right on my face and now I feel like an idiot for recommending this company to all my friends and family.

Not only that, they "lost" my phone for a day or two and couldn't get back to me on the status of the phone...

Just seems so unprofessional, unhelpful, and a waste of something that could be really good. **** them for not helping advanced users even though the screen has nothing to do with the bootloader, so they can squeeze every penny out of our pocket.

Last edited:

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I had sent mine back a week ago for a cracked screen, and I got an email today saying I needed to pay $290 to replace the screen. No reason was given other than it is "outside of the warranty", but the whole reason I bought the god damn HTC phone was the "HTC Advantage" which is now ****ting on me.

I had returned the phone to fully stock, removed all flags, left it S-OFF because almost everyone recommended that and sent it back.

This is such an insult as I have been a customer and am now on my 5th HTC phone in a row and while everyone else was going Samsung I stayed true only to get a huge duce dropped right on my face and now I feel like an idiot for recommending this company to all my friends and family.

Not only that, they "lost" my phone for a day or two and couldn't get back to me on the status of the phone...

Just seems so unprofessional, unhelpful, and a waste of something that could be really good. **** them for not helping advanced users even though the screen has nothing to do with the bootloader, so they can squeeze every penny out of our pocket.
Did you unlock via htcdev? In any case get back on to them because it seems the advantage program is a separate warranty in its own right and nothing to do with the standard HTC warranty. There are no reasonable grounds for refusing the warranty unless you are over the 6 month's period

lucky_strike33

I did the advanced exchanged and sent back my cracked screen that was rooted s off and unlocked bootkoader through Firewater. I managed to get it back to like stock and locked boot loader and s on. Checked HTC repair tracking and order has been completed.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Mine originally went in for a scratch, now I have a different colour body, broken gps and the screen is popping out of the housing, paid £100, sent it in a second time and received the phone in the exact same condition, total piss take, ive now made a complaint but im not holding my breath, will have to sell it for spares.

brorex

May 19, 2007
Colorado
I had a good experience replacing my broken screen I was bootloader unlocked and routed went back to stock as best I could and haven't got charged anything which is nice I also did the advance sending

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

laifuthegreat

Dec 17, 2013
3 weeks after sending in the phone I've just now been told that because the phone is S-Off, even though the bootloader is locked and the tampered flag is not triggered and all other indicators say the phone is not modified, they will not repair it. This is bull****. After 3 weeks of not having my smartphone, calling 7 or 8 times, being delayed over and over, all I'm told is that they can't do it.

Last edited:

NinjaWolf

Dec 28, 2010
California
3 weeks after sending in the phone I've just now been told that because the phone is S-Off, even though the bootloader is locked and the tampered flag is not triggered and all other indicators say the phone is not modified, they will not repair it. This is bull****. After 3 weeks of not having my smartphone, calling 7 or 8 times, being delayed over and over, all I'm told is that they can't do it.

Putting it back to s-on would've helped. It's not recommended but as long as your stock it will work

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I read that HTC was offering to replace cracked screens on a one-time basis I thought that was pretty cool. But then I read it was only if the screen was cracked within the first 6 months and I thought what were the odds of that happening. Seemed like it was more likely to happen in months 6-24. Well, I got my M8 in April and the other day I dropped it. I was sitting down and reached into my pocket when it rang and it fell out. It was only a short distance and I've had it happen many times before without incident, but for some reason the screen completely shattered. I even had a protector on it to no avail.

Well, I contacted HTC via messenger and had a great experience. It did take awhile as the operator went over the various options, but ultimately I chose the completely free option which will take 8-10 days which I can afford because I am just using my old phone. Just sent it off yesterday so I'll let you know how it goes, but so far, it seems they have lived up to their promise.
    nope, i did 4 times conversation with htc representative and they told me, when you download bootloader unlock file from htc's website, there is a disclaimer says this will void your warranty.. you have to accept that to download the unlock file.. that is why they charged $290 for the replacement on cracked screen even if i revert back to stock and re-lock it

Unfortunately, they will still be able to tell. My screen shattered and I had an unlocked bootloader with S-off. Went back to stock, re-locked, changed re-locked to locked and removed tampered banner, and sent it in (from what I read turning S-on will trip re-locked and tampered so I didn't do).

Got a quote from them yesterday that they'd only replace my screen for free if I paid $290 for them to replace my motherboard since my bootloader was unlocked (they will look to see if you requested an unlock token from HTC Dev as well as looking on the device itself). After spending an hour on the phone with them yesterday they say they will do it for $145 but a supervisor is supposed to call me back so we can discuss more. They still haven't explained to me why the motherboard needs to be replaced besides "we have to since the bootloader was unlocked."

My approach when dealing with them is that there are two separate warranties for the phone - the screen replacement warranty and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the phone. The screen warranty doesn't mention unlocked bootloader voiding it, only that "unauthorized modifications.." will. Whereas the 1 year warranty mentions "unauthorized modifications..." as well as "the bootloader has been unlocked.." voiding the warranty.

I'll let you guys know where I get with them.

So after talking to them Friday, they said someone from the repair team would call me in 3-5 days. Today (Monday) I got a message that they would in fact replace my screen free of charge. He apologized and said because the bootloader was unlocked it automatically generated the $290 quote to fix it but since the software on my phone was stock and supported by HTC they would fix it under warranty. They should be shipping my phone back to me tomorrow or the next day.

From what I've seen there is a lot of confusion on the issue of free screen replacement and unlocked bootloader. So for those of you in a similar situation I would recommend converting back to stock completely (bootloader and rom) before sending to HTC and when they send you a quote for $290, call and complain and ask to speak to a manager when they say there's nothing they can do. Only the Limited Warranty (which is separate from the Screen Warranty) stipulates unlocking the bootloader void's the warranty and you're filing a claim under the Screen Warranty. If you keep complaining they'll eventually do it for free.

Hope this saves more than a few people the $290 they keep trying to charge.
    My baby is back, it almost looked like a brand new phone, they replaced the whole housing and screen, I had letters missing in the back everything was replaced, and my phone was still rooted running the custom rom. success i'm a happy camper now! the wait was worth it!

unnamed.jpg
    Quick update, so this is what HTC said regarding my phone, i selected the last option and now i gotta wait for them to contact me... "Outside of Manufacture Warranty"
    9b69751d7dee2a8869cb1236d76f7f0a.png
    Oh, really. What country do you live in that they don't offer it?

Every other country except USA? :p