[APP][2.1+] Tablet Talk - Text Message (SMS) on your Tablet

Search This thread

galt

Jun 9, 2005
The phone automatically tries to reconnect so that you do not have to get up and find it if it's on the other side of the house. Originally the Tablet also automatically attempted to reconnect, but I removed it and forgot to add it back. It will be back in the next update along with options to control its behavior.

Is it disconnecting every time you receive a phone call? It should not be doing this. Is anyone else experience this problem?
Not sure if it's everytime, will have to watch for it. Also had a problem today where phone seemed stuck trying to connect, eventually rebooted the phone and it connected fine (manually initiated the connection, app doesn't seem to launch on boot on my phone, not sure if I've missed a setting somewhere.

Reactions: apDroid

xSunny

May 19, 2009
Brooklyn
One thing i would love on this and that the phone should be able to send the message over 3g or 4g and the tablet picks it up over wi-fi so that way some people like me dont like connecting to there wi-fi at home on there phones so maybe it can help them out just a suggestion =]

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Not sure if it's everytime, will have to watch for it. Also had a problem today where phone seemed stuck trying to connect, eventually rebooted the phone and it connected fine (manually initiated the connection, app doesn't seem to launch on boot on my phone, not sure if I've missed a setting somewhere.

Was it Bluetooth or Wifi? Do you remember if you tried selecting "Disconnect" while it was connecting? Doing so will (or at least should) cancel the connection attempt. As we speak I am working on the auto-connect and reconnect options. Look for an update later in the day 8/11 ;)

Would you be interested in an option for Tablet Talk to automatically launch when the phone and tablet turn on? A related feature I have always considered is for the phone to automatically save text messages when not connected to the tablet. Then, when it connects to your tablet, sync the messages. Would you be interested in this option, too?

One thing i would love on this and that the phone should be able to send the message over 3g or 4g and the tablet picks it up over wi-fi so that way some people like me dont like connecting to there wi-fi at home on there phones so maybe it can help them out just a suggestion =]

This is something that could be implemented after the initial release, if there is strong interest in it.

galt

Jun 9, 2005
It was over wifi, did try and disconnect and reconnect on both devices manually. Not sure that I need the app to auto launch in the foreground, but I would love for it to stay running in the background and do so even on startup and auto connect any time both devices are on the same network. Would love for it to sync up all messages upon connection!
Was it Bluetooth or Wifi? Do you remember if you tried selecting "Disconnect" while it was connecting? Doing so will (or at least should) cancel the connection attempt. As we speak I am working on the auto-connect and reconnect options. Look for an update later in the day 8/11 ;)

Would you be interested in an option for Tablet Talk to automatically launch when the phone and tablet turn on? A related feature I have always considered is for the phone to automatically save text messages when not connected to the tablet. Then, when it connects to your tablet, sync the messages. Would you be interested in this option, too?

This is something that could be implemented after the initial release, if there is strong interest in it.

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
When you manually enter his or her phone number in "Compose Message", or the contact chooser, or both?

Thanks! Is the WiFi network your home's or work's? The WiFi mode will not work on all networks due to individual network settings. If it's your own home network, check to see if the default port is open.

Hah that's great, thanks. Does increasing the tablet's volume increase the sound notification volume?

I am adding a setting for a lighter-colored theme. In the future I will implement third party options for themes.

uhhmmm.increasing volume on the Xoom still doesnt make the "incoming call" alert any louder....otherwise fab!

sci05

Jan 7, 2008
It was over wifi, did try and disconnect and reconnect on both devices manually. Not sure that I need the app to auto launch in the foreground, but I would love for it to stay running in the background and do so even on startup and auto connect any time both devices are on the same network. Would love for it to sync up all messages upon connection!

+1 for synching all messages. Would be awesome if it worked over 3g as well, but not sure that's even possible

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Background sync on the phone when disconnected from the Tablet is working...for the most part. I cannot keep my eyes open any longer, but look for it later on 8/12 ;)

Better options for auto-reconnect have been completed in addition to other misc. fixes, too. All of this will be available later today (8/12).

I have made the connection operations better, and fixed a bug where a device would not properly detect a disconnection. Hopefully you will no longer have this issue. I like your idea about auto-connecting when connected to a specific network--it is now on the list of things to do. Thank you :D

uhhmmm.increasing volume on the Xoom still doesnt make the "incoming call" alert any louder....otherwise fab!

I'll look into it ASAP, thank you for letting me know.

+1 for synching all messages. Would be awesome if it worked over 3g as well, but not sure that's even possible

Syncing will be done very soon. The ability to have the phone connect over 3g when the tablet is on a Wifi network could technically be possible; however, at this point in the game I am not so sure it'd be worth the extra work.

Reactions: andri2805

sci05

Jan 7, 2008
Syncing will be done very soon. The ability to have the phone connect over 3g when the tablet is on a Wifi network could technically be possible; however, at this point in the game I am not so sure it'd be worth the extra work.

The idea that this is even possible is exciting. This feature would allow for people who travel to leave their phone at home and travel abroad and make and receive text messages on their tablet at home rates!

I'm guilty of not trying this yet but, when connecting over wifi is there a passcode to connect tablet to phone? Like in bluetooth? Just thinking about security.
For example if I connect to a public hotspot with my phone and if someone else had this app installed on their tablet, they could potentially find the phone, right? And send texts?

Last edited:

hshah

Dec 24, 2005
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Just installed it on my tablet, but force closes after detecting that it is a tablet. Every time I try and open it, it shows a black screen and then force closes.

I am running:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 3.1

It works fine for my Samsung Galaxy S II though.

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
Aaron, hat's off to you mate...effin brilliant so far,but do keep it small for us low-rent tablet (archos 70it) users!
Syncing would make this the best free app i've ever seen,no ****e.

cordell507

Mar 15, 2011
nat
Acer Iconia Tab A500-stock
HTC Inspire HD-cyanogenmod

tried to connect over blue tooth and ran the setup wizard and it crashed the tablet application but not the phone, restarted the tabled application and wehn i ran the setup wizard it restarted my whole tablet, tried with wi-fi and it would say connecting but would time out, changed the ports and it still wouldn't work. tried bluetooth again and it says connecting but after about 30 seconds on the tablet it changes to disconnected

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

tried to connect over blue tooth and ran the setup wizard and it crashed the tablet application but not the phone, restarted the tabled application and wehn i ran the setup wizard it restarted my whole tablet, tried with wi-fi and it would say connecting but would time out, changed the ports and it still wouldn't work. tried bluetooth again and it says connecting but after about 30 seconds on the tablet it changes to disconnected

What version of Android is your tablet on? My A500 works great with my Nexus One running CM. I use HoneyVillain on my tablet.

Xene55

Oct 31, 2007
Asus Transformer TF101 stock Honeycomb 3.2
HTC Wildfire stock 2.2.1

Could not connect on wifi - tried auto discovery and adding in ip. What other ports can I try?

Hmm Bluetooth doesn't want to connect either.

Last edited:

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Okay, new version is ready. See OP for details.

I'm guilty of not trying this yet but, when connecting over wifi is there a passcode to connect tablet to phone? Like in bluetooth? Just thinking about security.
For example if I connect to a public hotspot with my phone and if someone else had this app installed on their tablet, they could potentially find the phone, right? And send texts?

You have raised a very important point. Technically, if two tablets have entered the same phone IP address and both press "connect" at the same time, then there would probably be some sort of race condition and one of the two tablets would connect with the phone. The phone can only be connected to one device at a time.

Now, you may think that this scenario is unlikely. Regardless, there is still the issue of a malicious entity intercepting data being transmitted across the WiFi network. So, for now, I highly recommend using Tablet Talk only on trusted WiFi networks, i.e. your secured home network. I am going to look into implementing an option for encrypting data sent between the devices in WiFi mode. If anyone has suggestions for an encryption algorithm with as little as possible of a toll on performance I am all ears.

Just installed it on my tablet, but force closes after detecting that it is a tablet. Every time I try and open it, it shows a black screen and then force closes.

I am running:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 3.1

It works fine for my Samsung Galaxy S II though.

Are you running a custom ROM on your Galaxy Tab? I use a stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 3.1, and cannot replicate this force close. Hopefully the issue can be resolved...

Aaron, hat's off to you mate...effin brilliant so far,but do keep it small for us low-rent tablet (archos 70it) users!
Syncing would make this the best free app i've ever seen,no ****e.

Haha don't worry, the rent will never be too damn high with this app. BTW, how is the performance on the Archos compared to your Xoom. Is there a noticeable difference?

I am sorry you cannot get it to work, please post here if you still have issues with the newest version I am about to post. I did fixed a bug where in Bluetooth mode, if you select "Connect" on the tablet before selecting it on the phone, then the tablet will time out and not connect.

When using the WiFi connection wizard, can your tablet find your phone's IP address? If not, then the port is probably not open on your network. Check your router's settings and see if any ports are blocked or open.

Asus Transformer TF101 stock Honeycomb 3.2
HTC Wildfire stock 2.2.1

Could not connect on wifi - tried auto discovery and adding in ip. What other ports can I try?

Hmm Bluetooth doesn't want to connect either.

Could the tablet find your phone's IP address when it was in discoverable mode? You can try an arbitrary port such as 4000 and see if it works. The best would be to check your router's settings to see what options are available.

Bluetooth (hopefully) wasn't connecting due to a bug that is now fixed. If you selected Connect on the tablet before selecting it on the phone, then the devices would not connect and the tablet's connecting attempt would time out. This bug is now fixed. If you still have problems with Bluetooth in this latest version, please let me know.

zaxondis

Aug 11, 2010
New York City
Excellent app!

Working like a dream on my 7 inch galaxy tab running the latest Overcome ROM connected to my myTouch 1.2 running the latest ginger yoshi via wifi. I'll be sending a donation as soon as I can. Thanks for this!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
Okay, new version is ready. See OP for details.

You have raised a very important point. Technically, if two tablets have entered the same phone IP address and both press "connect" at the same time, then there would probably be some sort of race condition and one of the two tablets would connect with the phone. The phone can only be connected to one device at a time.

Now, you may think that this scenario is unlikely. Regardless, there is still the issue of a malicious entity intercepting data being transmitted across the WiFi network. So, for now, I highly recommend using Tablet Talk only on trusted WiFi networks, i.e. your secured home network. I am going to look into implementing an option for encrypting data sent between the devices in WiFi mode. If anyone has suggestions for an encryption algorithm with as little as possible of a toll on performance I am all ears.

Are you running a custom ROM on your Galaxy Tab? I use a stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 3.1, and cannot replicate this force close. Hopefully the issue can be resolved...

Haha don't worry, the rent will never be too damn high with this app. BTW, how is the performance on the Archos compared to your Xoom. Is there a noticeable difference?

I am sorry you cannot get it to work, please post here if you still have issues with the newest version I am about to post. I did fixed a bug where in Bluetooth mode, if you select "Connect" on the tablet before selecting it on the phone, then the tablet will time out and not connect.

When using the WiFi connection wizard, can your tablet find your phone's IP address? If not, then the port is probably not open on your network. Check your router's settings and see if any ports are blocked or open.

Could the tablet find your phone's IP address when it was in discoverable mode? You can try an arbitrary port such as 4000 and see if it works. The best would be to check your router's settings to see what options are available.

Bluetooth (hopefully) wasn't connecting due to a bug that is now fixed. If you selected Connect on the tablet before selecting it on the phone, then the devices would not connect and the tablet's connecting attempt would time out. This bug is now fixed. If you still have problems with Bluetooth in this latest version, please let me know.

Aaron,
The new Tablettalk is great, its polished and a cinch to use. I was wondering if Tablettalk will ever incorporate a full, predetermined sync of SMS (eg. Last 3 days) and show not only the texts from Tablettalk but also the ones sent from the mobile as well? Maybe as a paid Pro version in the future. The current Tablettalk is good to go as a lite version(as long as the bugs are ironed out) tho I must admit I see your pro app being an OEM app. Once again great work, but like I mentioned earlier keep the app small so that the Arcos' of this world stand a chance. (it still works great on my Archos 70it with it's ginormous 256Mb RAM coupled with the mighty mouse-esque Moto MB511, in fact no different compared to the Xoom MZ602+XT720 combo)

Sent from my A70S using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

andri2805

Oct 10, 2009
I forgot to mention you should submit this app once completed(pro version) to Appslib store. I reckon plenty of archos owners would love this!

Sent from my A70S using XDA Premium App

NoHousePhone

Dec 28, 2007
Nice update so far. What about an option to mute some to all notification on the phone. My tablet notifies when a call comes in so I really don't need it to ring. Once it disconnects all notification should come back to normal.

In the future maybe be able to use the tablet to answer the phone.

Thanks for allowing us to test this awesome app. Good job.

NoHousePhone

Dec 28, 2007
With this latest update so far. My messages get group back to back below the other person. Regardless of time sent.

So if I send a text and they send text the next text I send will show under my other text their next text will show after theirs. Instead of chronological order.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tablet Talk is an application for text messaging (SMS) on tablets. It requires that the tablet be connected to an Android phone also running Tablet Talk. When a message is received on the phone, it is forwarded to the tablet. When a message is sent from the tablet, it is forwarded to the phone. The tablet and phone can be connected either via Bluetooth or a Wifi network. Tablet Talk also syncs messages you send and receive on your phone while not connected--when you connect, such messages will sync to the tablet. It has too many additional features to list, including caller ID notifications. Currently, you can mute or ignore incoming calls from the tablet, with more to come.

As of September 6th, Tablet Talk v1.0.0 has been published to the Android Market. However, the hope is that this thread will remain an active place for leaving feedback, requesting features, and releasing test versions with experimental features. As always, all suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or via PM or email. Thanks for looking!

When posting issues, please include the following:

-Tablet: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
    -Phone: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
    -If the problem is with Bluetooth, Wifi, or both​

Wifi mode: I recommend only using Wifi on trusted, secured networks--e.g. your home network

-------------------

Known issues:
    -Not receiving messages? (One of the most emailed and reported "issues":) Are you using a third party SMS app on your phone such as GoSMS or Handcent? If so, please see the FAQ of Tablet Talk's help section for detailed instructions on fixing this problem. It requires a simple and quick change to your third party SMS app's settings. For example:

Handcent: Settings->Application Settings->Default Messaging application: set to "Disable".​

Go SMS: Settings->Receive Settings->Disable other message notification: uncheck​

After configuring the third party app, please open the Android SMS app that came on your phone. Go into its settings and disable notifications. This step is to prevent double notifications for incoming messages.​

-MIUI ROMs: Make sure to allow the app permission to send SMS, otherwise it will crash on the phone whenever you try to send messages. New: disable "System MMS app priority" in MIUI's SMS app, otherwise it will block other SMS apps such as Tablet Talk or Go SMS.

-Infinite DHCP lease time: experiencing seemingly random and/or frequent disconnections when using Wifi? Please see Issue 20461 and Issue 18648 for more information. Huge thanks to Jon for this information!! This may explain some unresolved Wifi connection problems.​

-Custom ROMs/kernels: If you experience frequent disconnections with Bluetooth and/or Wifi and are not using stock firmware on your phone and/or tablet, please try a different ROM or stock firmware. There have been numerous cases where users switched to a new ROM and disconnections ceased. If you do not want to deal with the hassle of switching ROMs then just email or PM me and I will take care of you no problem!​

-Battery apps: numerous users have found that apps such as Juice Defender or CPU Tuner cause Tablet Talk to disconnect.​

-------------------
    TODO:
    -UI improvements
    -Cool stuff​

-------------------
    Changelog: (If a requested feature or reported bug is not listed then please feel free to post here or contact me again. Please note this list may be missing implemented changes)

v1.4+
    -Changelog is in app's help section under "What's new"
    Is it possible to increase the font? Despite selecting the font size, not every font became bigger

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir

I know this was requested a while back but was just wondering if adding cell phone signal bar readout is still in the pipeline?

Yep, just finishing testing for group MMS and some other things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Sorry for the delay everyone, here is the changelog for version 1.3.2 which is just about ready for private testing:

-Significant UI changes
    --New messages are bolded instead of highlighted
    --Current conversation is marked in inbox
    --Nice, subtle fade animation when opening conversations
    --Chat "bubbles" have a smaller maximum width
    --"Modern" settings on devices with Honeycomb and above
    --Much better help section
    --Etc

-More useful pop up menu when pressing connect button
    --Quick WiFi/Bluetooth toggle
    --In Wifi mode, quick access to port/IP settings
    --In Bluetooth, quick access to run connection setup on tablet and to enable discovery on phone

-Much more functional caller ID*

-Messages sent from the phone while connected sync to the tablet

-New Wifi user experience
    --No more "Connection wizard" hassle
    --Phone's IP is remembered for each network for quick reconnecting
    --If the phone's IP address changes or on a new network then no further action is necessary. Tablet Talk will automatically find phone

-Much more

*Shortly after 1.3.2 is released, 1.3.3 will be released to fix new bugs and "complete" the caller ID's abilities

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
    I've read it not possible to answer calls on the tablet because of security permissions on 2.3
    Is it possible between ICS tablet & ICS phone?

Also in that regard
    with WebKey you can press the answer button
    Can you check out they make it? it works between my ICS tablet & CM7 phone ( of course it supports every browser )
    I understand that it's a bit different application but I thought it might help

The next version enhances the caller ID feature... and yes the biggest hurdle is 2.3. I don't want to say too much yet. Once ignoring/muting calls (and ending calls) is stable with 2.3 then the whole package will be there.
    Quick update to fix crashes and a few other things! Check OP. Logging will be an option in the next version.

For those of you running custom ROMs, connectitivity might be an issue with the ROM itself. I ran virtuous galaxy on my Acer a500 and would not connect. Now using Virtuous Picasso and connects perfectly. If you have such issues, try flashing a different ROM to determine whether the issue needs to be reported to the ROM developer or with Aaron here. Also look into any issues with Bluetooth or wifi that may have been reported with your specific custom tablet ROM or custom phone ROM.

I've been helping Aaron test thoroughly and reporting issues as they come up. I can tell you that he has been working extensively at all hours of the day to fix bugs as well as pack as many useful features into this baby. So please continue to report any issues as well as opinions/thoughts, you're help is greatly appreciated I'm sure we are all looking forward to a final release.

Just so everyone knows, Motempo is a good friend and the one who contacted me back in May to ask if I could make this app. So if you like Tablet Talk, be sure to thank him, too. He has helped test and think of new features from the earliest of versions.

My issue wasn't with the ROM but the application itself :p

Thank you for helping solve the problem, let me know if this update fixes the FC even when your notifications are set to silent.

I need some help. I have a nexus s, stock rom, trying to connect to my xoom, stock, to run the program. I tried connecting the Bluetooth and the program never connected, tried wifi and entered my IP address of my phone and program did not find it.

Please try the newest version. For Bluetooth, have your devices previously been paired? If not, did you run the connection wizard on the tablet while the phone had discoverable mode enabled?

For WiFi, could your tablet find your phone's IP address when running the setup wizard and the phone was in discoverable mode? If not, then the default port is probably no good. Try 8080 instead (be sure to change the port on both devices)

Also, a general note I forgot to emphasize, for discoverable mode to work in conjunction with the tablet's connection wizard, the phone has to be in the same mode as the tablet.

Do you think you could use the MAC addresses of the devices to connect since that's always static no matter what connection you're on? Just a thought.

To be honest, I don't really know. It probably depends if you can ask your router for a client's IP address based upon its MAC address. I'll try to find out.