[Android 1.6+] External Keyboard Helper Pro

Search This thread

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Just some info about what I'm working on:

- Possibility to turn off the device filter - DONE
- Option to manually enter the scancode instead of reading it from keypress - DONE
- Option to increase the delay before keyrepetition kicks in, and even disable key repetition completely - WIP but looks good so far.

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
Just some info about what I'm working on:

- Possibility to turn off the device filter - DONE
- Option to manually enter the scancode instead of reading it from keypress - DONE
- Option to increase the delay before keyrepetition kicks in, and even disable key repetition completely - WIP but looks good so far.

is it possible to map function specified to each android roms (i.e. calling app drawer)?

(*i havent see the documentation of android sdk, and keymap, so just ignore me if this is written on those manuals. ;) )

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
is it possible to map function specified to each android roms (i.e. calling app drawer)?

(*i havent see the documentation of android sdk, and keymap, so just ignore me if this is written on those manuals. ;) )

You have all the available keycodes here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html

You can also see in which API level they appeared.

Some keycodes can be remapped but others like "Home" are handled before the Input Method gets a chance to change them.

I do not think there is a keycode for the appdrawer but you can probably have some success with mapping other stuff like the volume keys.

EDIT: Here's the API levels explained: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/api-levels.html

Reactions: indiziert

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
What I'm working on now for 2.7:

* DVORAK layout - DONE
* Switch key now switch between primary and secondary layout - Almost done
* s with diaresis now produces the german "sharp s" - DONE

xmau

May 7, 2012
apostrophe

Hello, I am using External Keyboard Helper with a US-layout hardware keyboard and the default us-international logical layout, since I am used to this to write Italian accented letters like àèìòù. Unluckily it seems that apostrophe ' and double quote " do not work as dead keys. Is it a'fault of my keyboard, or there is something I am missing?

samslembas

Jan 18, 2011
Remapping capslock

I generally map my capslock key to ctrl. However, this app doesn't seem to be giving me the option to remap capslock (or any modifier keys). The debug window reports capslock presses as scancode 58, but the "Customize keyboard mappings" window only goes up to keycode 53.

I am operating on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet with the Lenovo keyboard folio and Android 3.1 (stock). I have the "Override special keys" option checked, but it is not clear that it is doing anything.

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
I generally map my capslock key to ctrl. However, this app doesn't seem to be giving me the option to remap capslock (or any modifier keys). The debug window reports capslock presses as scancode 58, but the "Customize keyboard mappings" window only goes up to keycode 53.

I am operating on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet with the Lenovo keyboard folio and Android 3.1 (stock). I have the "Override special keys" option checked, but it is not clear that it is doing anything.

At the top of the list you can add a new keymapping. The list only shows the current mappings.

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Hello, I am using External Keyboard Helper with a US-layout hardware keyboard and the default us-international logical layout, since I am used to this to write Italian accented letters like àèìòù. Unluckily it seems that apostrophe ' and double quote " do not work as dead keys. Is it a'fault of my keyboard, or there is something I am missing?
Hmm... you are right. ' and " normally are not combining characters but according to this http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/goglobal/keyboards/kbdusx.html they are on the US-international layout. I'll try to work something out for the next release.

Meanwhile you can do a custom layout and add ´ and ` to some keys. They should be combining by default. In fact you should be able to use they key left of "1" to add the grave accent to letters.

atonal

May 21, 2012
need help at ics problem with ekhp

Hi there.....
I'm using ekhp on my galaxy note,with a rapoo 6300 bt keyboard....
The keyboard have a stupid time out function after a not using time of 2 minutes or just less..........
On 2.3.6 it wasn't such a problem,cause the bluetooth driver and ekhp reconnect it just after awakening........

But now i change to ics and also Bt have changed.....:-(
Every time if i want to use the keyboard,i have to pair it completely new......and if it powered of and i try to awake and reconnect,ekhp said "bluetooth keyboard connected",but the bluetooth symbol in task bar won't change to connect,then theinput selection board goes on but no connection......
And this again in 10 second periods.......

Just after pairing the keyboard completely new,i got connection again.......so what's going wrong?

Is it possible that ekhp have a problem with ics....today i will try to deinstall ekhp and look,what ics will do alone......

And maybe do it make sense to install the GB BT System Tools? Or is it dangerous about system crashes?

I really often need the external Keyboard and was so happy about Ekhp,but at the moment,it's unusable.......pls could you help me anyway.....?

Thx and greets from germany.....steff

MDCore

Jun 14, 2007
Hey, bought pro (thanks for having a demo of this or I'd never have tried it) and was busy reconfiguring and testing my mappings. While testing one it seems to have gone into "select input method when run" mode. I've tried everything bar reinstalling. How do I get back to the settings again?

atonal

May 21, 2012
Go to Menü, Speech and Input Settings, there are the whole Keyboards, also the external keyboard helper pro, and there klick at the settings, here you are....... :). Greetz

trungus

May 24, 2012
I can't remap some keys

Hi guys,

Some days ago I buy a usb keyboard from noganet, right now I'm using it on my Titan 7005 (Android 2.1).
The keyboard has es_ES layout, alt gr is missing ... :eek:, with this apps I successfully remap the layout to es_ES and map one key as AltGr Key.

Right now my problem is with 3 keys, these keys launch an android function I don't use.
1- CapsLock: Launch Email Configuration.
2- Fn+Left Cursor: Android Home
3- Fn+Right Cursor: Lock Screen

I try to scan keys with debug function without success, there is any way to remap this keys ?

Thank you in advance.
Trungus

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Hi there.....
I'm using ekhp on my galaxy note,with a rapoo 6300 bt keyboard....
The keyboard have a stupid time out function after a not using time of 2 minutes or just less..........
On 2.3.6 it wasn't such a problem,cause the bluetooth driver and ekhp reconnect it just after awakening........

But now i change to ics and also Bt have changed.....:-(
Every time if i want to use the keyboard,i have to pair it completely new......and if it powered of and i try to awake and reconnect,ekhp said "bluetooth keyboard connected",but the bluetooth symbol in task bar won't change to connect,then theinput selection board goes on but no connection......
And this again in 10 second periods.......

Just after pairing the keyboard completely new,i got connection again.......so what's going wrong?

Is it possible that ekhp have a problem with ics....today i will try to deinstall ekhp and look,what ics will do alone......

And maybe do it make sense to install the GB BT System Tools? Or is it dangerous about system crashes?

I really often need the external Keyboard and was so happy about Ekhp,but at the moment,it's unusable.......pls could you help me anyway.....?

Thx and greets from germany.....steff

EKHP has no effect on the Bluetooth pairing. That part will work exactly the same without EKHP installed.

snoeyink

May 27, 2012
migrate custom from demo to pro? Arrow keys?

I used the demo version to see if this would work to remap an alphagrip keyboard (a game-controller-like kbd for which I make two shift keys to chord all characters on the back of the device) and was pleased that it nearly does. (I haven't yet figured out how to map arrows to alt-n, alt-h, alt-u, and (the hard one) alt-altgr, but otherwise it did what I wanted.)

I purchased the pro version through slideME: is there a way to migrate my demo mapping of custom 1 to the pro version?

Thanks.

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
I used the demo version to see if this would work to remap an alphagrip keyboard (a game-controller-like kbd for which I make two shift keys to chord all characters on the back of the device) and was pleased that it nearly does. (I haven't yet figured out how to map arrows to alt-n, alt-h, alt-u, and (the hard one) alt-altgr, but otherwise it did what I wanted.)

I purchased the pro version through slideME: is there a way to migrate my demo mapping of custom 1 to the pro version?

Thanks.

Oops. Seems I have forgot to update SlideMe to version 3.4. Get the 3.4 version of the demo from Google Play and I will update SlideME ASAP. In 3.4 you can use the menu button to backup and restore custom layouts.

Actually I'm going to push the new 3.5 version and skip 3.4. Check in 30 minutes or so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ExternalKeyboardHelperPro.jpg

Get it from Google Play: External Keyboard Helper Pro

Make your Android device play nice with your non-US external keyboard.

A non visible soft keyboard (Input Method) intended to be used with hardware Bluetooth and USB keyboards. It automaticly detects Bluetooth keyboards (and in some cases also USB keyboards) and brings up the Input Method dialog. It also supports a lot of different keylayouts for non-US external keyboards.

This app does NOT require a rooted device.

Features
    • International keyboard layouts.
    • Remaps the Escape key to BACK (optional)
    • Allows you to control which characters should be threated as combining characters.
    • A "null" Soft Keyboard to use with hardware keyboards (Bluetooth & USB).
    • Automaticly brings up Input Method selection dialog when Bluetooth keyboard connects or disconnects.
    • Automatic detection can also work with USB keyboards on some platforms (experimental)
    • App that brings up Input Method selection (for easy access)

Currently supported keyboard layouts
    • Austrian
    • Belgian
    • Bosnian
    • Croatian
    • Czech
    • Danish
    • English (GB)
    • English (US-International)
    • Estonian
    • Faroese
    • Finnish
    • French (Canada)
    • French (France)
    • French (Switzerland)
    • German
    • German (Switzerland)
    • Greek
    • Hebrew
    • Hungarian
    • Icelandic
    • Italian
    • Latvian
    • Lithuanian (Numeric)
    • Norwegian
    • Portuguese (Brazil)
    • Portuguese (Portugal)
    • Romanian
    • Russian
    • Serbian
    • Slovak
    • Slovene
    • Spanish (Latin America)
    • Spanish (Spain/Int)
    • Swedish
    • Turkish (Q)
    • Vietnamese

All layouts are based on standard USB Keyboard layouts. Bluetooth keyboards sometimes do not follow the standard completely but you can customize the layout yourself if it doesn't match perfectly.

Characters that can be threated as combining characters
    • acute
    • breve
    • caron
    • cedilla
    • circumflex
    • diaeresis/umlaut/dialytika
    • dialytika tonos
    • dot above/dot below
    • double acute
    • grave
    • ogonek
    • ring
    • tilde
    • tonos

What it does NOT
    • It won't fix your Bluetooth or USB connected keyboard if it wasn't working in the first place.
    • It does not automaticly switch Input Method. It only shows the dialog and you will have to choose Input Method manually. This is an intentional limitation built into Android by Google. No app is allowed to change Input Method without user interaction (unless the app is a system app).

Planned features
    • Support for more keyboard layouts.
    • DONE!Support for manually remapping keys.
    • DONE!If requested I may also make it work on Android versions lower than 2.3.
    Also works on my Xperia s android 2.3.6

USB or Bluetooth keyboard?
    Didn't work anymore after upgrade Android 8.0 to 8.1
    Please fix this.
    I can open EKH Settings, and I can choose EKH Switch in Keyboard settings for external keyboards, but EKH Switch didn,'t work anymore on 8.1
    Yesterday, before upgrade to 8.1 all works like a charm.
    Please fix this.
    I've noticed that there is a "cracked" version of my app floating around. I honestly don't care if anyone cannot afford $3 to get their $50-$100 dollar keyboard to work correctly but what worries me is that this "cracked" version I found has been modified and resigned. About 30kb (or more) code has been added and I have no idea what the added code does because I have no intention to install that version.

I've added none of Googles Licensing code so there is nothing to "crack" in the app so there should be no reason whatsover for anyone to add about 30kb to the executable.

The site where I found it also offers tons of other "cracked" apps and most likely they have also been modified. Maybe they've "only" added advertisment code to profit from the "cracked" apps but I guess a more likely scenario is that they've added malicious code. If you for some reason choose to download a "cracked" version of an Android app, a "cracked" Input Method is propably the worst possible choice of app to pirate.

I've written a blog post about it with some more information about it.
    Go to Menü, Speech and Input Settings, there are the whole Keyboards, also the external keyboard helper pro, and there klick at the settings, here you are....... :). Greetz