nexus media importer, accessing subtitles

Search This thread

neo5468

Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone know how to access nexus media importer location of usb drive, via file manager? Where is location located? Because when I am watching a movie, I want to enable subtitles for it. In MX Player, when I try to select subtitles, I am just directed to the internal sd card by default. But I cant select my subtitles because I cant find the folder where they are located. I tried "mnt" and almost all other folders aswell but there is no usb folder where my usb content is in.

Some movies have built in subtitles so I can just enable them (white cloud in the top right corner in mx player), but most of the time, I have to do it manually. When I am browsing in nexus media importer app, I can see subtitles there. But I cant copy them off to sd card. Seems like it is read only.

I also tried to rename subtitles to the same name as movie name, because this trick enables subtitles on older dvd players, but here, there is still no white cloud in mx player so I still have to enable them manually.

I am rooted and I tried stickmount app and a lot of similar ones aswell, but they dont work. They dont even show contant of the USB (but they do detect it).

Nexus media importer works flawlessly, and reads big 12gb with over 10 mb bit rate movie without any problems. It just works. Other apps, not so much.

I am using nexus 7 2013 and usb stick is A-Data S102 Pro Advanced 64GB formatted to NTFS.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

edit: I think that "Nexus 7 (2013) Themes and Apps" would be more appropriated section so mods should move it. Sorry

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Does anyone know how to access nexus media importer location of usb drive, via file manager? Where is location located? Because when I am watching a movie, I want to enable subtitles for it. In MX Player, when I try to select subtitles, I am just directed to the internal sd card by default. But I cant select my subtitles because I cant find the folder where they are located. I tried "mnt" and almost all other folders aswell but there is no usb folder where my usb content is in.

Some movies have built in subtitles so I can just enable them (white cloud in the top right corner in mx player), but most of the time, I have to do it manually. When I am browsing in nexus media importer app, I can see subtitles there. But I cant copy them off to sd card. Seems like it is read only.

I also tried to rename subtitles to the same name as movie name, because this trick enables subtitles on older dvd players, but here, there is still no white cloud in mx player so I still have to enable them manually.

I am rooted and I tried stickmount app and a lot of similar ones aswell, but they dont work. They dont even show contant of the USB (but they do detect it).

Nexus media importer works flawlessly, and reads big 12gb with over 10 mb bit rate movie without any problems. It just works. Other apps, not so much.

I am using nexus 7 2013 and usb stick is A-Data S102 Pro Advanced 64GB formatted to NTFS.

Thanks

edit: I think that "Nexus 7 (2013) Themes and Apps" would be more appropriated section so mods should move it. Sorry

Nexus Media Importer is just an app that reads the contents of the USB Drive and forwards/streams the selected file to another app, which in your case is MX Player or saves/copies the selected file to internal storage. Nexus Media Importer works like a file server to MX Player. The contents of the USB drive is invisible to the Android ecosystem. On the other hand, Stickmount mounts the usb drive to a specific directory like /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 and makes it available to the whole Android ecosystem.

To solve your problem, you can select the video file from Nexus Media Importer then tap the save button. Do this as well for the subtitle file. The copied files will then be located at the \mnt\sdcard directory. You can directly open it with MX Player and load the subtitle as long as they have the same filename.

A better alternative is to re-install Stickmount and then flash a custom kernel (search for elementalx) to enable NTFS Read/Write functionality.
If you don't want to install a custom kernel, your last option is to re-format the USB Drive to FAT32 and splitting you videos into 4GB files.

Reactions: neo5468

thenrik

Feb 26, 2012
San Francisco
Hi:

FYI, Nexus Media Importer also supports NTFS, just not for the advanced write feature. NTFS works fine for streaming and can be easily manipulated on a pc.

Tom

Reactions: neo5468

neo5468

Oct 9, 2012
Thanks I figured a way to download subtitles from USB to sd card and than add it to the movie.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Nexus Media Importer is just an app that reads the contents of the USB Drive and forwards/streams the selected file to another app, which in your case is MX Player or saves/copies the selected file to internal storage. Nexus Media Importer works like a file server to MX Player. The contents of the USB drive is invisible to the Android ecosystem. On the other hand, Stickmount mounts the usb drive to a specific directory like /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 and makes it available to the whole Android ecosystem.

To solve your problem, you can select the video file from Nexus Media Importer then tap the save button. Do this as well for the subtitle file. The copied files will then be located at the \mnt\sdcard directory. You can directly open it with MX Player and load the subtitle as long as they have the same filename.

A better alternative is to re-install Stickmount and then flash a custom kernel (search for elementalx) to enable NTFS Read/Write functionality.
    If you don't want to install a custom kernel, your last option is to re-format the USB Drive to FAT32 and splitting you videos into 4GB files.
    Hi:

FYI, Nexus Media Importer also supports NTFS, just not for the advanced write feature. NTFS works fine for streaming and can be easily manipulated on a pc.

Tom