Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
Is there a way to root a stock ICS (4.0.4) GT-P7510 WITHOUT a computer? I don't have access to a windows machine to use Odin, and my attempts to get my device recognized via MTP/ADB on my Gentoo Linux box have not been successful.

Nope, you need a computer to flash the custom recovery,

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

digibill

Jan 8, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab II 10.1 (P5100) with Android 4.1.2.
I tried the file that is uploaded at the first message of the thread and I got an error message:
Code:
E: signature verification failed
Has anybody managed to root the P5100 with this method?

Last edited:

MichaelMcC

Sep 11, 2011
This method is old and written for the original ROM, Honeycomb. It doesn't work for anything newer than that. Several YouTube videos have methods.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ath67

Jan 19, 2014
I just made all the first step and already have superuser. But When I try download CyanogenMod it have an erro. Im feeling like noob but Cyanogen its for what in the root?

EDIT
The ROOTchecker says that its not instaled and BusyBox says that my SuperUser is instaled wrong or something like this.

Someone help???

Last edited:

PenTestSM

Jan 30, 2014
Anyone figure out Rooting Newest OS on SCH-i905 10.10 Tab?

This guide was written for Honeycomb, so you'll have to skim through the posts to see how others have modified this method to work with ICS. I no longer have a Tab 10.1 so I'm unable to help troubleshoot :(

Maybe this will help?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1807219

Guys. Nothing is out there. I have the Verizon Galaxy tab 10.1 sch-i905 and I get the verification failed.

The methods I see to turn off verification are for older tablets. I need to root this device so I can install Kali linux on it.

Please anyone that has the ACTUAL method help me. I'd pay for your time.

spiv53

Sep 17, 2013
Perth
ezTab NB-1460 10.1" Root please

Hello everyone,

I purchased an 'ezTab NB-1460-8GB' 10.1" from a stall.
I was told it has a Samsung screen and hardware, but custom (China) made case and charger, hence cheap.

It worked OK for sometime, I added a few programs, downloaded stuff and it become very, very sluggish, I tried to reset it to factory settings, but it did not work, so I would like to root it and update its software.

At the moment it has the following:
Android 4.0.4
Baseband v: 1.5_201212
Kernel: 3.0.8+ inet_paco at supportFAE #2 (whatever that means....)
Build No: A10_10_M1005D.20121215​

Can anyone help me please?

Keep smiling :)
Spiv

MichaelMcC

Sep 11, 2011
Hello everyone,

I was told it has a Samsung screen and hardware, but custom (China) made case and charger, hence cheap.

It worked OK for sometime, I added a few programs, downloaded stuff and it become very, very sluggish, I tried to reset it to factory settings, but it did not work, so I would like to root it and update its software.

Android 4.0.4

Spiv

This method will not work for you. It's very specific for a particular device and android version. Sorry but I don't know where to send you to find what you need.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Olivier V

Jan 25, 2013
Hello everyone,

Android 4.0.4

Spiv

You could try framaroot or towel root. I'm not saying that they will work but you could try it.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: spiv53

Olivier V

Jan 25, 2013
Olivier,

Towel Root worked, thank you.
Did not try Framaroot.

Any late ROM recommendations?

Keep smiling ;)
Spiv

Sadly no since you don't have a real galaxy tab 10.1. But now that you're rooted you can remove all the bloatware and install greenify.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using XDA Free mobile app

bluedawgalex

Jul 7, 2008
i have to galaxy tab 10.1 for us cellular and would like to know if i can root with this method

they are running android 3.2 and the model number is SCH-I905

thanks in advance i wanna root because i get an error saying fota service is not available when i try to update

joshheil

Dec 6, 2014
rooted mine today

I was able to root mine using the suggestion above of kingo root. I was not able to root mine using towel root. Thanks to those for the suggestions!

fogdiver

Dec 24, 2014
Phoenix
I've tried this numerous times and am not able to install the TWRP.
There is no error message or symptoms of issues but when I restart, it's the stock recovery.

I have the SCH-I905 running 4.0.4 Kernel 3.1.10 (if that makes a difference).
Is there something I'm missing, or am I in the wrong thread?

hoovnick

Mar 18, 2010
Tab not recognized

Needing some help guys. I've tried numerous cables, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, reboots, factory resets. I can't get my computer to recognize my tab. Keeps saying USB device not recognized from any USB port I try. Is there any possible way to root without a PC? I've tried towelroot, and any other .apk I could find with no luck. Any help is appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.