[KNOX] S4 mini and Knox

Search This thread

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Disclaimer: I'm not liable to any demage to your device, including Knox. The information here is as good as I know, there is no guarantee.

(If you like to provide extra information or have a correction, I'll add it to the OP)

Read this first:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2447832

Additional information:

- How to view if I've Knox enabled or not? Enter download-mode (Power the device off and then press volume down + home + power, then press volume up if the triangle screen appears) If it says Knox 0x1 instead of 0x0, you tripped knox

- You'll get Knox 0x1 (warranty void) when you flash: custom kernel (which is included in many roms) or custom recovery (Update: @gladson1976 claimed a custom recovery didn't trip Knox at him. But at me it did)

- The device will be functional as before, nothing changes, all apps work etc. (Just at booting recovery or system it says "Set warranty bit, custom recovery" and "Set warranty bit, custom kernel" (depending on if you use a custom kernel or recovery)) info provided by @rpgdev (It's been said though, that Knox related app's will stop working.) (Upate: @fburgos claims that tripping knox caused him signal issues)

Another thing is, that if you've Knox apps still installed, they'll give you a message when giving root rights to apps "there is something wrong with the app", as reported by @Flatric

If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

KNOXAgent.apk
KNOXStore.apk
ContainerAgent.apk
(Use a root browser app for deleting the files)
(information provided by @arco68 throught @R_a_z_v_a_n , thanks.

- Can I reverse Knox? So far it's impossible, but maybe one day there is a workaround (Update: workaround for Exynos CPU available, but not s4 mini yet. (see at buttom))

- Will there ever be a workaround? Knox uses and eFuse chip according to @rogier666 so there will be probably no workaround.

- I heard that in Europe your warranty will not be void, even if it's Knox 0x1 (no guarantee) check this thread for germany: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-mini/general/warranty-knox-warranty-void-behaviour-t2919994

- It's been reported that even flashing a newer stock firmware with Odin could cause Knox active @tinko975 (I assume this happens because of Odin update of the recovery and kernel (Use in phone Samsung updater to stay safe)

- Reflashing the firmware doesn't cause KNOX 0x1 as reported by @Gloris, confirmed by @Bullet92

- Many rooting method will enable KNOX too, thanks to @afme89 for the info.

Extra:

- People claimed that if you flash a certain rom and remove the custom kernel from it and flash it with odin then it doesn't get Knox (because no custom kernel, no custom recovery.)

Knox workaround news:

@masinj claimed claimed to has found a workaround for Exynos CPU (Not S4 mini) Further info about this:

How does Knox work? Because Knox is both in the OS (apps) and in the firmware (bootloader) it works in two ways. The OS components prevent attempts to obtain root access and make rooting with these Knox apps a pain in the butt. Fortunately they can be removed. In the firmware component (bootloader), Knox works to prevent the flashing of custom kernels and recoveries. If you flash a custom rom or custom recovery WHILE on the Knox bootloader, your Knox flag will be tripped and your Warranty Bit will go from 0x0 to 0x1. The Knox bootloader cannot be downgraded to, say, the MD4 bootloader because of special protections built into it. If you attempt to downgrade it, your phone will instantly brick. Info provided by @R_a_z_v_a_n , thanks.

Credits:

XDA developers
Me
@tinko975
@Gloris
@Bullet92
@afme89
@rpgdev
@Flatric
@R_a_z_v_a_n
@arco68
@masinj
@gladson1976
@fburgos
@rogier666

Last edited:

tinko975

Dec 3, 2013
Zagreb
my device turns knox to 0x1 in the beginning when i flash newer stock firmware with odin..
in Croatia (Europe) Warranty is void if your knox is 0x1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aronuser

leripe

Mar 18, 2012
I think there could also be a list of firmwares which have knox.

Example mine doesn't have one, l9195XXUAMF5.

Edit: Added link to this to few of my threads, also linked this to my signature, thanks!

Last edited:

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
I think there could also be a list of firmwares which have knox.

Example mine doesn't have one, l9195XXUAMF5.

Edit: Added link to this to few of my threads, also linked this to my signature, thanks!

First off, thank you for adding the link to your signature, i really appreciate it.

About the firmware list, well the idea is good but I don't have time for doing that. If you like to provide it I'd add it to the thread if you like (second post).

Reactions: ndg_2000 and leripe

rpgdev

Jul 31, 2011
You can add that your phone will be functionally the same, I bought a 9195 (after owning the 9190) that had knox and went ahead and flashed something else (knowing that it could trip it, guarantee doesn't cover me anyways) and while it is tripped I can still flash anything, use all of my apps, etc. I had an s3 before and knox was tripped and I still could do everything I used to do.

The only really annoying thing about tripping knox is that on the first boot screen it will always show this little message announcing the "set warranty bit" which can be 'kernel' (if you're just normally booting the phone) or 'recovery' if you're booting into recovery. It shows up everytime you turn on your phone. It looks like this:
kUwdc8i.jpg

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
You can add that your phone will be functionally the same, I bought a 9195 (after owning the 9190) that had knox and went ahead and flashed something else (knowing that it could trip it, guarantee doesn't cover me anyways) and while it is tripped I can still flash anything, use all of my apps, etc. I had an s3 before and knox was tripped and I still could do everything I used to do.

The only really annoying thing about tripping knox is that on the first boot screen it will always show this little message announcing the "set warranty bit" which can be 'kernel' (if you're just normally booting the phone) or 'recovery' if you're booting into recovery. It shows up everytime you turn on your phone. It looks like this:
kUwdc8i.jpg

Thank you I'll add the info to the OP and give you credits :good:

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin

kUwdc8i.jpg

I've a question about that, I heard the knox app's will stop working. is this true or false?

rpgdev

Jul 31, 2011
I've a question about that, I heard the knox app's will stop working. is this true or false?

I know that sometimes on stock some persistent warning messages show up on the notification bar and to get rid of them you have to freeze some 'knox apps' or remove them from the system apps. I have yet to meet a useful 'knox app' but if there is let me know and next time I'm on stock I could try it out and report back.

issue5854

May 13, 2013
KNOX tripped

Hi, I like that there is someone taking care for this device.

I have a GT-I9192 (A Duos version of S4 Mini) and rooted it so the KNOX is 0x1
Also a friend of mine has one too, and I updated his phone to the latest stock rom (not rooted or anything other, just update) with Odin, and his warranty bit shows 0x1 :rolleyes:
but a couple of days ago, his phone had a hardware damage (I think so) there is a problem with the screen so the phone shuts down after 3 or 4 minutes, and then doesn't restart. Went to Samsung Costumer Care and they say that the phone has been rooted, so it's out of the warranty.

also about the knox and eFuse thing, as I could understand in some other topics ( like this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486346 ) the eFuse thing comes in use in Snapdragon N9000 and above chips, and this device has a Snapdragon 400 :eek:

however, it would be very good if we could make a Knox reset...

rpgdev

Jul 31, 2011

A knox reset isn't possible right now and probably won't be in a while (or ever). Tripping knox voids your warranty, in many people's cases (like mine) this isn't a problem because they aren't covered by it but if you are then you should probably think it twice before messing with something that could trip knox. There's no way around it sadly. I hope your friend can at least repair the device with a third party.

Reactions: issue5854

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I'm not liable to any demage to your device, including Knox. The information here is as good as I know, there is no guarantee.

(If you like to provide extra information or have a correction, I'll add it to the OP)

Read this first:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2447832

Additional information:

- How to view if I've Knox enabled or not? Enter download-mode (Power the device off and then press volume down + home + power, then press volume up if the triangle screen appears) If it says Knox 0x1 instead of 0x0, you tripped knox

- You'll get Knox 0x1 (warranty void) when you flash: custom kernel (which is included in many roms) or custom recovery (Update: @gladson1976 claimed a custom recovery didn't trip Knox at him. But at me it did)

- The device will be functional as before, nothing changes, all apps work etc. (Just at booting recovery or system it says "Set warranty bit, custom recovery" and "Set warranty bit, custom kernel" (depending on if you use a custom kernel or recovery)) info provided by @rpgdev (It's been said though, that Knox related app's will stop working.) (Upate: @fburgos claims that tripping knox caused him signal issues)

Another thing is, that if you've Knox apps still installed, they'll give you a message when giving root rights to apps "there is something wrong with the app", as reported by @Flatric

If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

KNOXAgent.apk
    KNOXStore.apk
    ContainerAgent.apk
    (Use a root browser app for deleting the files)
    (information provided by @arco68 throught @R_a_z_v_a_n , thanks.

- Can I reverse Knox? So far it's impossible, but maybe one day there is a workaround (Update: workaround for Exynos CPU available, but not s4 mini yet. (see at buttom))

- Will there ever be a workaround? Knox uses and eFuse chip according to @rogier666 so there will be probably no workaround.

- I heard that in Europe your warranty will not be void, even if it's Knox 0x1 (no guarantee) check this thread for germany: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-mini/general/warranty-knox-warranty-void-behaviour-t2919994

- It's been reported that even flashing a newer stock firmware with Odin could cause Knox active @tinko975 (I assume this happens because of Odin update of the recovery and kernel (Use in phone Samsung updater to stay safe)

- Reflashing the firmware doesn't cause KNOX 0x1 as reported by @Gloris, confirmed by @Bullet92

- Many rooting method will enable KNOX too, thanks to @afme89 for the info.

Extra:

- People claimed that if you flash a certain rom and remove the custom kernel from it and flash it with odin then it doesn't get Knox (because no custom kernel, no custom recovery.)

Knox workaround news:

@masinj claimed claimed to has found a workaround for Exynos CPU (Not S4 mini) Further info about this:

How does Knox work? Because Knox is both in the OS (apps) and in the firmware (bootloader) it works in two ways. The OS components prevent attempts to obtain root access and make rooting with these Knox apps a pain in the butt. Fortunately they can be removed. In the firmware component (bootloader), Knox works to prevent the flashing of custom kernels and recoveries. If you flash a custom rom or custom recovery WHILE on the Knox bootloader, your Knox flag will be tripped and your Warranty Bit will go from 0x0 to 0x1. The Knox bootloader cannot be downgraded to, say, the MD4 bootloader because of special protections built into it. If you attempt to downgrade it, your phone will instantly brick. Info provided by @R_a_z_v_a_n , thanks.

Credits:

XDA developers
    Me
    @tinko975
    @Gloris
    @Bullet92
    @afme89
    @rpgdev
    @Flatric
    @R_a_z_v_a_n
    @arco68
    @masinj
    @gladson1976
    @fburgos
    @rogier666
    Disclaimer: I'm not liable ....

- You'll get Knox 0x1 (warranty void) when you flash: custom kernel (which is included in many roms) or custom recovery

I am not sure about tripping KNOX with a custom recovery.
    I have a 9192 with BML1 (has KNOX). I have rooted it with Kingo (doesn't trip KNOX) and have flashed Philz Touch recovery using Odin. I am still on the stock ROM with stock kernel.
    My KNOX warranty is still 0x0.
    Am confused now :confused: :confused:

Screenshot_2014-06-06-15-56-48.png IMG_20140606_155158.jpg IMG_20140606_155441.jpg
    NOT FOR OUR PHONE! Is just for INFO.

Some hopes for resetting Knox, currently only for Exynos CPU. :cool:

NOT FOR OUR PHONE! Is just for INFO!

I have resetted knox to o using file BL_HA3GZS_CLEAR_WARRANTY_BIT-4.tar thanks using Odin I have done
    [Bounty] [05/20/2014]Reset KNOX counter to 0x0 (UPDATE: 3k +)

@Aronuser

You can add this info in OP, if you want of course. :D

How does Knox work? Because Knox is both in the OS (apps) and in the firmware (bootloader) it works in two ways. The OS components prevent attempts to obtain root access and make rooting with these Knox apps a pain in the butt. Fortunately they can be removed. In the firmware component (bootloader), Knox works to prevent the flashing of custom kernels and recoveries. If you flash a custom rom or custom recovery WHILE on the Knox bootloader, your Knox flag will be tripped and your Warranty Bit will go from 0x0 to 0x1. The Knox bootloader cannot be downgraded to, say, the MD4 bootloader because of special protections built into it. If you attempt to downgrade it, your phone will instantly brick.
    KNOX tripped

Hi, I like that there is someone taking care for this device.

I have a GT-I9192 (A Duos version of S4 Mini) and rooted it so the KNOX is 0x1
    Also a friend of mine has one too, and I updated his phone to the latest stock rom (not rooted or anything other, just update) with Odin, and his warranty bit shows 0x1 :rolleyes:
    but a couple of days ago, his phone had a hardware damage (I think so) there is a problem with the screen so the phone shuts down after 3 or 4 minutes, and then doesn't restart. Went to Samsung Costumer Care and they say that the phone has been rooted, so it's out of the warranty.

also about the knox and eFuse thing, as I could understand in some other topics ( like this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486346 ) the eFuse thing comes in use in Snapdragon N9000 and above chips, and this device has a Snapdragon 400 :eek:

I have Knox problem.When I open it,Ijust says "creating knox mode" and exits,"failed to create knox mode".