FORUMS

[TOOL] Android Image Kitchen - Unpack/Repack Kernel Ramdisk [Win/Android/Linux/Mac]

14,151 posts
Thanks Meter: 31,594

By osm0sis, Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 30th December 2012, 03:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th January 2013, 07:44 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
First thank you for your nice work!

And it is possible to add support to samsung devices ( I have a Captivate i897 myself)? Tried some CM base Captivate kernels and it dosen't work.
Samsung devices are using particular kernel image layout perhaps, as well as various compress methods like bzip, lzo, etc as far as I know.

Semaphore thread for your reference. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816087

P.S. Tool works without problem with Galaxy Nexus kernels~
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmanzero For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fishmanzero Ad-Free
28th January 2013, 11:56 PM |#22  
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Is anyone having a problem that the program cannot find the boot.img? It says "no image file supplied" clearly though I have the boot.img on the root of the folder.

Barnes and Noble Nook Tablet, kernel 3.0.58
29th January 2013, 12:21 AM |#23  
Quote:
Originally Posted by NookTabletsPower

Is anyone having a problem that the program cannot find the boot.img? It says "no image file supplied" clearly though I have the boot.img on the root of the folder.

It maybe because the boot image is signed. much like some htc boot.img can you upload an example so I can talk a look, alternatively you can look yourself by loading the image into an hex editor. and looking for the ascii string ANDROID! , that's the real start of the boot image.

@osm0sis - Which remains me If you want to handle kindle fire images the boot image is offset by 808 bytes.
29th January 2013, 12:41 AM |#24  
OP Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmanzero

And it is possible to add support to samsung devices ( I have a Captivate i897 myself)? Tried some CM base Captivate kernels and it dosen't work.
Samsung devices are using particular kernel image layout perhaps, as well as various compress methods like bzip, lzo, etc as far as I know.

Semaphore thread for your reference. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816087

Thanks! I'll take a look on my day off Wednesday hopefully to see if it's something bizarre like the HTC images or what.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevd

It maybe because the boot image is signed. much like some htc boot.img can you upload an example so I can talk a look, alternatively you can look yourself by loading the image into an hex editor. and looking for the ascii string ANDROID! , that's the real start of the boot image.

@osm0sis - Which remains me If you want to handle kindle fire images the boot image is offset by 808 bytes.

That's actually the error text from my batch file, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't read it. Make sure the zip is unzipped correctly and the boot.img should be in the same dir as the .bat files. Drag and drop to unpackimg.bat. By your sig it should work for all your devices except maybe the Nook. Also please point us to a thread/link with the boot.img in question and I'll attempt to reproduce myself.

@trevd: Man, so many foolish offsets! Not sure how I'd support them unless the split_img became more intelligent and spit out an offset file as well (hint hint ).. also, I was wondering what your thoughts were on that one byte difference with the repacked htc images that weren't working on the last page?
29th January 2013, 02:10 AM |#25  
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Thanks! I'll take a look on my day off Wednesday hopefully to see if it's something bizarre like the HTC images or what.

That's actually the error text from my batch file, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't read it. Make sure the zip is unzipped correctly and the boot.img should be in the same dir as the .bat files. Drag and drop to unpackimg.bat. Also please point us to a thread/link with the boot.img in question and I'll attempt to reproduce myself.

@trevd: Man, so many foolish offsets! Not sure how I'd support them unless the split_img became more intelligent and spit out an offset file as well (hint hint ).. also, I was wondering what your thoughts were on that one byte difference with the repacked htc images that weren't working on the last page?

LOL , I feel the elbow In my ribs... Don't worry it's going to scan the full image looking for the android magic..... been working on it today.

Anyways, To your weird byte problem... Can you upload the image ( either one will do ) I just want to make sure but it looks like it's changing the ramdisk_addr which would obviously explain why it doesn't boot afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to trevd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift trevd Ad-Free
29th January 2013, 02:23 AM |#26  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cordoba, Argentina
Thanks Meter: 4,274

Donate to Me
More
I am getting this:

Quote:

Splitting image to "/split_img/" . . .

BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE ☺
BOARD_KERNEL_BASE e19f8000
BOARD_PAGE_SIZE 24061976

Unpacking ramdisk to "/ramdisk/" . . .

gzip: ../split_img/siri.bin.md5-ramdisk.gz: unexpected end of file
../android_win_tools/cpio: premature end of archive

Done!

i9070 boot image
The Following User Says Thank You to frapeti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift frapeti Ad-Free
29th January 2013, 12:59 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 2,974

More
R: [DEV][TOOL] Android Image Kitchen - Unpack/Repack Kernel/Recovery + ramdisk [Win32
I dont get ramdisk !
Sony xperia u cm 9.1 fxp boot.img / kernel .elf
The Following User Says Thank You to GEKTHEBOSS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GEKTHEBOSS Ad-Free
29th January 2013, 03:49 PM |#28  
Re: [DEV][TOOL] Android Image Kitchen - Unpack/Repack Kernel/Recovery + ramdisk [Win3
Hi folks.
Can I suggest, if you run into problems that you upload the boot image in question.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to trevd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift trevd Ad-Free
30th January 2013, 09:22 AM |#29  
Flag Aurangabad
Thanks Meter: 4,674

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEKTHEBOSS

I dont get ramdisk !

+1 But for Samsung device
30th January 2013, 03:05 PM |#30  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_frd2002

+1 But for Samsung device

You're going to have to be more specific. Did you even try it yet on your device?

Link me to an image at least.

Edit: Sleuth that I am, I checked out where you post and it looks like you own a Samsung Vibrant, so another Galaxy S basically, check out my posts on the next page, since it's a reasonable assumption that you've got the same issue as the Captivate and Advance.

Quote:

Still need to know what device you were talking about as well. Like I said, from your sig., it should work on all your devices except maybe the Nook.
30th January 2013, 04:01 PM |#31  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmanzero

Actually this is pretty straight forward. Android recovery/boot.img's usually contain both the zImage (kernel binary) and the ramdisk. Those Semaphore zips don't contain a boot.img, only the zImage, so there is nothing to split and no ramdisk to unpack. Same seems to be the case for the other kernel I looked into for this device, SpeedMod. I also tried Devil3 (from Hellybean), which has a legitimate boot.img and it actually has the same output as the Galaxy S Advance, so please also read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frapeti

I am getting this:

i9070 boot image

Okay, so Samsung Galaxy S Advance. The kernel image I tried (CoCore) produced the same result (smiley face cmdline and eof for gzip since it didn't split correctly), so it does seem to have something different going on, possibly Samsung specific packaging for ODIN that unpackbootimg can't handle, and it's also possible it just doesn't contain a ramdisk. I'll try to look into it to be sure. Thanks for the report. For reference, the cwm recovery zips I found for this device also don't contain proper images, they only replace the recovery binary/system files, so would not be the right type of file for this project either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEKTHEBOSS

I dont get ramdisk !

Model/variant name kumquat. I'll post on this in a bit since FXP is taking a million years to download.

Edit: Okay, unpackbootimg crashes trying to unpack the boot.img from FXP204-cm-9-20130126-UNOFFICIAL-kumquat because it has the wrong "magic" at the top. trevd pointed this out as a definite incompatibility for some devices a couple pages back. Trying trevd's split_img from the first page, it actually reports the "Wrong magic" error and shows that the file has an ELF header not an ANDROID!. Opening in HxD shows that there is no ANDROID! header later on as with some HTC devices, so ELF is the only header, and we're basically dealing with a different, unsupported filetype here. On the upside, there is no real gap in the data, so there might not be a ramdisk packed with it anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, ramdisk, recovery, repack, unpack

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)