FYI CWM With latest .14 ICS release

Search This thread

paronowitz

Apr 23, 2012
I went throught the process to root and install unlocked bootloader after upgrading from stock hc to stock 14 ics build. Everything seemed to work well untill trying to install CWM.

EVerytime I rebooted to try to get into CWM I got the old recovery. It seems I had to rename install-recovery.sh. However when I tried to rename with term emu apparently the easy root method no longer works and system remained ro. In order to resolve I had to mount -o remount, rw /system/ then rename install-recovery, then re-run the cwm script.

.Gibson.

Mar 24, 2012
Chicago
I went throught the process to root and install unlocked bootloader after upgrading from stock hc to stock 14 ics build. Everything seemed to work well untill trying to install CWM.

EVerytime I rebooted to try to get into CWM I got the old recovery. It seems I had to rename install-recovery.sh. However when I tried to rename with term emu apparently the easy root method no longer works and system remained ro. In order to resolve I had to mount -o remount, rw /system/ then rename install-recovery, then re-run the cwm script.

I'm confused. Even if the root script from ZN was installed successfully which I can confirm and many other members who have ran this rom have confirmed, you would still need to mount /system some how. Whether it is from rootexplorer, es file manager, or directly from the terminal emulator as you did. That script roots the tab and makes /system/ mountable in various apps it doesn't make /system/ RW constantly. I'm glad you got it taken care of though.

paronowitz

Apr 23, 2012
Yup that what I'm saying. I started with a freshly clean install. I tried running the an method several times. I was able to install unlocked boot loader howver I had no rw access to /system unless I manually remounted. Every time I reboot I have to remount again

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
Well I would think BEFORE updating to .014 you should remove bootloader.blob and anything else that relates to changing recovery from the .014 update before attempting to flash. Otherwise you would end up with a stock bootloader again.

pintek

May 10, 2011
don't forget to remove the installrecovery script from the etc folder too just a fyi

masr1979

Apr 5, 2006
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
@paronowitz

You might want to try rooting again. I'm currently on Zeronull's release, and I can mount /system fine from root explorer without having to mount it first through terminal emu. I've gotten into the habit of re-rooting roms on the tab.

paronowitz

Apr 23, 2012
I had not problem accessing /system. I could not change or delete anything in is specifically the install_recovery.sh without remounting it rw

pintek

May 10, 2011
if memory serves me right the install package for twrp removed the install recoveryinstall script.

.Gibson.

Mar 24, 2012
Chicago
The OP had said he was renaming install-recovery.sh from the terminal emulator. Like I said in my post earlier the root script doesn't make /system/ rw constantly and the terminal emulator does not auto mount /system/ rw. So even if the script is working, you would have to use the same commands if you are using the termnal to rename. Also, by making /system/ rw you are making /system/etc rw, and this allows you to edit the file you were attempting to edit. So when I am referring to mounting /system/ as rw, we are talking about the same thing. /etc/ is a shortcut to /system/etc.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia

It sounds like you may want to just execute the commands by hand. The script will make assumptions that may not hold true for your current configuration.

Look HERE

Check out the Eew245's root method. It give you the most control since you do it by hand. If you don't have adb you can use the one supplied in the ZeroNull easy unlock package(careful to not run the scripts at the wrong time and such though). Anyway Im out of time today. It sounds like as others have said you probably just need to

su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.BAK

Then reflash cwm if you overwrote recovery when you updated.

paronowitz

Apr 23, 2012
It sounds like you may want to just execute the commands by hand. The script will make assumptions that may not hold true for your current configuration.

Look HERE

Check out the Eew245's root method. It give you the most control since you do it by hand. If you don't have adb you can use the one supplied in the ZeroNull easy unlock package(careful to not run the scripts at the wrong time and such though). Anyway Im out of time today. It sounds like as others have said you probably just need to

su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.BAK

Then reflash cwm if you overwrote recovery when you updated.

That's exactly what I had to do.