!!!htc one uag warning!!! Case scratches phone

Search This thread

IcOpRo

Nov 30, 2007
Cape Coral
Ive been using it for a week now on my black HTC one and so far no issues, I do take my phone out of it every other day, its been a habit of mine for a long time with all my devices.

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't know why companies don't powdercoat their devices. It gives you the color you want, along with a durable, plastic-like finish.

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
Well any case can scratch your phone if you don't clean inside it if any dirt and stuff gets in there and rubs against it it'll probably end up leaving really bad marks. For me this happened on my galaxy nexus with an otterbox defender the top cover goes around the speaker and camera and I didn't really clean it much result after a few months use around the speaker and camera where many scratches where the plastic touched the screen and dirt got in there and rubbed against it. Just clean your cases every so often and you'll be fine

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2

dsntree

Aug 10, 2010
Well today was the 1st time in about 2 weeks since buying my uag that i took the case off. And immidiately i noticed and the upper left corner there were scratches. I have a pretty good suspicion its from pressing the power button which then rubs the case agsinst the metal. You dont notice it when the case is on but this is redicilous. Definitely maked me angry i paid $35 for a case that ended up damaging my phone. Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

I have the silver edition and been using my UAG for about 3 weeks, looks just as good as when I first put it on.

Khilbron

Oct 28, 2010
Brentwood, TN
I put the case on right out the package. Cleaned the phone pretty good. The case is very snug so its really hard to get dirt in there. Also i bought it directly from uag so its not a knock off. I honestly dont know what did it but i remember before i even saw the marks when hittin the power button i always thought it was odd how the whole case kinda pushed down.

I own the Black HTC One, and a Black UAG, as others have mentioned I periodically remove mine from the case to blow out anything that may get in there. However as to your comment. Yes the case is snug, but it is Extremely easy for sand, metal shavings, ect... to get into the case, considering the power button is wide open, that is the design feature that drew me to the case, the wide open power button that allows the IR to transmit. It is also why you need to periodically remove your device from the case and clean it out.

Think of it like walking down the road. You have socks covering your feet, and shoes covering the socks, yet somehow you always get a pebble inside your sock at the bottom of your foot the irritates you until you remove your shoes and socks to get it out.

Jun 10, 2013
I've always had the Dropsuit from body glove mobile for my black One and I haven't had any complaints. I drop it all the time cause I'm super accident prone, but you would never even know it. And there's no scratches inside at all when I take it off. ALthough it's a little more bulky, I still think it looks sharp and it fits easily into a pocket

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
I own the Black HTC One, and a Black UAG, as others have mentioned I periodically remove mine from the case to blow out anything that may get in there. However as to your comment. Yes the case is snug, but it is Extremely easy for sand, metal shavings, ect... to get into the case, considering the power button is wide open, that is the design feature that drew me to the case, the wide open power button that allows the IR to transmit. It is also why you need to periodically remove your device from the case and clean it out.

Think of it like walking down the road. You have socks covering your feet, and shoes covering the socks, yet somehow you always get a pebble inside your sock at the bottom of your foot the irritates you until you remove your shoes and socks to get it out

This is a great analogy! We call this FOD invasion (Foreign Object Debris).
If there is anything between the case and the phone particularly sand or dust containing harder particles (silica, metallic dusts, etc.) you will have this type of pitting damage. Even if the phone was protected with Type III hard anodizing (HA III) the pitting can still occur as the aluminum below is softer. Keeping the protected surface clean is absolutely paramount!

It's common to see a "ring" (of dust) right inside the edge of a case such as an otterbox commuter when removed after just a few days of use outdoors (ATV riding, etc.) This dust if allowed to stay in the gap will grind away at your device. I have an original iphone from 2007 that has pitting around the rim because it was left in a silicone case for years! The back, however, looks as good as new. (metal case, original iphone 8GB)

My phones are never in a case more than a few days since I'm always trying different ones, etc. It's kind of ridiculous but hey the finish looks new so far. ;)

akwingnut

Dec 19, 2008
Anchorage
Ouch that looks really bad! Anyone else with a Silver One get scratches because of their UAG case?

Yeah i have noticed scratches on mine too, around the headphone plug-in, down the SIM card side there are two really noticable sized dents/scratches in the white part of my phone. Also all down the Aluminum sides. Going to send an email to UAG and see what they say about it along with this thread from XDA.

Thanks again

-AkWingnut

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well today was the 1st time in about 2 weeks since buying my uag that i took the case off. And immidiately i noticed and the upper left corner there were scratches. I have a pretty good suspicion its from pressing the power button which then rubs the case agsinst the metal. You dont notice it when the case is on but this is redicilous. Definitely maked me angry i paid $35 for a case that ended up damaging my phone. Anyone else having this issue?

yep I had the same with the official double dip case. Also black phone.

What do we learn from this? The black One is better protected when it's naked than when it's in the case :p

seriously though, I'm using a pouch now. Much better, doesn't do any damage.
    Contact the company and have them pay to get your phone fixed. That's BS.

If there's some defect in the case then probably. But I doubt it's the case. He most likely had some gunk in the case. Take one tiny spec of sand and place it between your case and your phone and that one tiny piece will jack your stuff up. I don't see how that piece of dirt/sand is UAG's responsibility unless they have some kind of "no dirt on the inside guarantee" which they dont.