Unrecoverable bootloader error but not Bricked!

Search This thread

doobscoob

Sep 8, 2012
So I unlocked my tf300t and flashed cwm to recovery.
Everything seemed to go fine.

When I would go into cwm it was not able to mount or access any other part of my tab. I figured ok erase/format the recovery partition and try TWRP. So I booted to the bootloader, using fastboot I erased recovery but now whenever I go to flash a new recovery my bootloader either freezes or I get an Unrecoverable bootloader error 0x00000000 (not sure if thats the right amount of zeros but there are no other digits in the error code.) I can access fastboot and adb but it doesn't seem like I can flash using fastboot and I just don't feel comfortable trying with adb. Also I can access fastboot only from the bootloader screen and adb only after I boot into my current rom (stock 4.2.1)

I guess my questions are this:
How can I format my recovery or flash a new recovery?
Were the mount issues I originally encountered going to be solved with a new recovery?

Please help!

spenat

Jun 27, 2012
Have you tried installing stock rom (from Asus support page) using Fastboot? It should also put stock recovery in your tablet.

Not sure if it is going to work, but it's worth trying though.

Reactions: phrozenflame

mikaole

Jan 14, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
1st this is not for the dev section. You should ask questions in the Q&A section.

Go to Asus and dl the latest Stock. Unzipp it 2 times. You should have a blob file now in the extracted folder. put this blob in your fastboot folder.
Open cmd and type:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob

let it run. It seems that nothing is happening for about 5 Minutes. The whole thing can take up to 20 Minutes, so just stay calm and wait till its finished.
Now you should be back to full Stock with Stock recovery.

chanhny

Nov 19, 2009
1st this is not for the dev section. You should ask questions in the Q&A section.

Go to Asus and dl the latest Stock. Unzipp it 2 times. You should have a blob file now in the extracted folder. put this blob in your fastboot folder.
Open cmd and type:

let it run. It seems that nothing is happening for about 5 Minutes. The whole thing can take up to 20 Minutes, so just stay calm and wait till its finished.

I had this problem too. But on 4.2.1 you can push file blob, and then it's can't run because stock recovery dead.

lomoski

Apr 10, 2013
No, I was not. I also have the unrecoverable bootloader error but I have a working device. I downloaded the latest firmware, followed the steps through fastboot and the same thing keeps happening where as soon as you try to enter a command through fastboot the green box stops flashing over rck and even though the cmd prompt window tells you something is going on nothing happens on the tablet end. It freezes. hard reboot and you end up back with a normal working device, no changes and a corrupt bootloader.

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
No, I was not. I also have the unrecoverable bootloader error but I have a working device. I downloaded the latest firmware, followed the steps through fastboot and the same thing keeps happening where as soon as you try to enter a command through fastboot the green box stops flashing over rck and even though the cmd prompt window tells you something is going on nothing happens on the tablet end. It freezes. hard reboot and you end up back with a normal working device, no changes and a corrupt bootloader.

I have same issue.. has anybody managed to get a fix for this?

mister363

Jul 26, 2012
I've same problem, how can i fix it?
i've a working device but without recovery mod! I can't flash anything via fastboot because it freezes, i always have "Unrecoverable bootloader error" when press RCK.
Can somebody help me? :(
Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

rsox

Apr 28, 2010
Oxford
I've same problem, how can i fix it?
i've a working device but without recovery mod! I can't flash anything via fastboot because it freezes, i always have "Unrecoverable bootloader error" when press RCK.
Can somebody help me? :(
Thanks in advance ;)

I was having this problem earlier - a new bootloader came out when they went to 4.2, but most of the instructions online don't reflect this. You need an updated recovery image, which usually has the name recovery-jb.img instead of recovery.img. When you're searching make sure the instructions mention 4.2 and jelly bean.

However, I've only managed to get one step further - have now get into clockworkmod recovery, but as with the OP I then couldn't mount anything inside CWM. I tried another instruction set which involved unzipping the ROM and using adb to push over the .blob. This hasn't worked and I have now got a pretty much bricked device - it either bootloops on the asus splash screen, or loads into CWM.

I've found that even when youre in CWM you can type "adb reboot-bootloader" into the terminal, which forces the RCK/android/wipe data page and fastbook to appear. I've also tried to download the latest stock firmware from ASUS, unzipped it to get the stock .blob out and into my fastboot directory, then run "fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob" in the terminal, as per mikaole's suggestion. This takes a while to push over the 80mb .blob, but after it says it's staged it says "done" then nothing happens and it's still bricked. hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: ebonit

Buster99

My solution

I have the same on my TF300t and A700 - but it seems i just managed to get my TF300t back

i tried all fastboot (reflashing recovery, boot, system etc) no dice - especially since writing system was done after 3 secs all the time.

Here how i restored my TF300T JB

download your appropriate lates firmware from Asus (WW, US etc.) and extract the zip twice so you have your blob file

install your device drivers if needed (i used Google SDK ones) (and as a Tip Win8 sucks for Fastboot stuff so try to get Win7 Vista XP for this)

Reset your device with a paperclip/needle (about 2 cm down of your sdcard slot) and hold vol-down to enter fastboot

(the folowing i did at least 10 times already but didn't erase misc)

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase misc
fastboot erase cache
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob (this is my path - your's may vary depending where you stored your blob) ((also this was the first time i saw the loading bar while flashing)*
fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

* it also took a lot longer as it should:
C:\>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.695s]
sending 'system' (800935 KB)...
OKAY [133.121s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [153.973s]
finished. total time: 288.789s

im now setting my tab up to get back to CM (which initially caused this sh1theap due to autoupdate error, same as my A700 got bricked )

hope i could help you out!

cheers
-Buster

BigK

Dec 6, 2005
IT WORKS!!!

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase misc
fastboot erase cache
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system c:\adb\TF300t\blob (this is my path - your's may vary depending where you stored your blob) ((also this was the first time i saw the loading bar while flashing)*

Thank you very much. It works beautifully.

Reactions: mseck

mister363

Jul 26, 2012
I have the same on my TF300t and A700 - but it seems i just managed to get my TF300t back

i tried all fastboot (reflashing recovery, boot, system etc) no dice - especially since writing system was done after 3 secs all the time.

download your appropriate lates firmware from Asus (WW, US etc.) and extract the zip twice so you have your blob file

install your device drivers if needed (i used Google SDK ones) (and as a Tip Win8 sucks for Fastboot stuff so try to get Win7 Vista XP for this)

Reset your device with a paperclip/needle (about 2 cm down of your sdcard slot) and hold vol-down to enter fastboot

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase misc
fastboot erase cache

erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.695s]
OKAY [133.121s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [153.973s]

im now setting my tab up to get back to CM (which initially caused this sh1theap due to autoupdate error, same as my A700 got bricked )

cheers
-Buster

Now i' m busy because of my Job. But next week i want try your method.
I hope it work for my device! :)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO

fastboot erase system
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase misc
fastboot erase cache

erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.695s]
OKAY [133.121s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [153.973s]

cheers
-Buster

Did your tablet seem to freeze after flashing via fastboot? When I push blob, the console shows that it wrote, but then fastboot on the tablet freezes & I have to manually reboot, putting me right back to the drawing board.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kcj718 and Reznott

mister363

Jul 26, 2012
Until now my device freezes. Fastboot seem to work but nothing happens. :banghead:

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

Buster99

Did your tablet seem to freeze after flashing via fastboot? When I push blob, the console shows that it wrote, but then fastboot on the tablet freezes & I have to manually reboot, putting me right back to the drawing board.

nope. do you use the original cable on usb 2.0 and connected to your pc not a usb hub? should work. if not try a diffrent pc - sometimes usb chipsets make problems.

d3fiant

Aug 27, 2010
nope. do you use the original cable on usb 2.0 and connected to your pc not a usb hub? should work. if not try a diffrent pc - sometimes usb chipsets make problems.

I get invalid argument to all of the erase attempts and the minute I try to push the blob the flashing green icon in fastboot mode on the tablet stops. The command windows says the flash went fine but the tablet is unresponsive and must be reset. Infact any fastboot command that pushed something to the tablet causes it to look up ( indicated by the green flashing RCK icon freezing on whatever phase of green it had at the time)

E:\asus>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system e:\asus\blob
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.975s]
OKAY [134.565s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 2.040s]
finished. total time: 138.583s

I think its time to bin this doorstop and break something new :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Billion123

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO
I get invalid argument to all of the erase attempts and the minute I try to push the blob the flashing green icon in fastboot mode on the tablet stops. The command windows says the flash went fine but the tablet is unresponsive and must be reset. Infact any fastboot command that pushed something to the tablet causes it to look up ( indicated by the green flashing RCK icon freezing on whatever phase of green it had at the time)

E:\asus>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system e:\asus\blob
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 1.975s]
OKAY [134.565s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 2.040s]
finished. total time: 138.583s

I think its time to bin this doorstop and break something new :)

Mine does this same thing.....think it's done for?

P05TMAN

Aug 15, 2011
Boulder, CO
Buster99, your instructions saved my device. I missed erasing /misc even though you put it in the directions and my tablet's back! I owe you.

Reactions: captsakis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My solution

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase misc
    fastboot erase cache

erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [ 1.695s]
    OKAY [133.121s]
    writing 'system'...
    OKAY [153.973s]

cheers
    -Buster

Open cmd and type:

Thanks you Ebonit and berndblb, I got as far as typing in "fastboot devices" and it says "waiting for device". I assume USB drivers. Found a link to them on this site but page not found came up. I could not find in asus website. Tried another link which hijacked my browser.. messed with this all day. Uggg. Anyone know a good link for the USB drivers if that is my problem? Thanks, Cindy

This can be an annoying problem and you may have to try several driver packages, uninstall them if they don't work and try other ones. The drivers from the Asus PC Suite were for Windows XP. They may and may not work anymore - depends on your Windows version.
    As you found out, you want to stay away from all these driver downloads sites - they are usually infested with malware.
    You could try the Universal Naked Drivers from here: https://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/adb-fb-apx-driver-universal-naked-t2513339
    I believe those are the ones I used when I moved to Win 8 and then Win 10. If you have the 64 bit version of Win 8 or 10 you have to disable Windows driver verification feature to install them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YAIw7_-kg

I think I can't get into recovery from inadvertently hitting wipe data when I had those 3 icons. Now it loops from twrp splash page to 4 peguins says Old FW. Continuous reboot of this. Can't get into anything else holding power and volume down. Can't even power it off.. I think I'm bricked. See my attempts to fix this further down.. thank you!

Oh my... You do need to get adb working, I know only of one way to get out of that loop and it involves a couple of steps in adb. Check out this guide: http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...my-transformer-tf700-boots-only-recovery.html
    Somebody recently used this method to get out of the loop and he had only a few seconds connection in adb to perform the steps described. He created a script to run the two commands in that tiny window. Let me try to find the posts, maybe I can hook you up with him.

Edit: Here it is, last post: https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/help/tf700t-bootloop-twrp-install-official-t3584529
    Try to PM @andyf@n, maybe he can send you the script he created
    No one's figured this out? I tried flashing the blob file and my system won't boot at all

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase misc
    fastboot erase cache

erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [ 1.695s]
    OKAY [133.121s]
    writing 'system'...
    OKAY [153.973s]

cheers
    -Buster