When do you think ICS is going to be released; should I install an ICS-based ROM?

Search This thread

Buddy39914

Aug 31, 2011
When do you think ICS is going to be released for the Note? I've been holding out on installing custom ROMs, but if it's still going to be a while, I might as well do it.

Also, which ROMs (ICS) are the best? Is the battery life better or worse? Are there a lot of bugs?

abakarxda

Apr 11, 2012
san francisco
I never try any custom Rom yet but usually there is always bugs on custom roms. I just suggest u wait for the official ics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Android The Greek

Mar 7, 2012
New Castle
I tried waiting..... saurom> than stock gb. If you think you will eventually use a custom rom then do it

Buddy39914

Aug 31, 2011
Also, what about ICS roms? Is the battery good?

dvdivx

Feb 3, 2009
I'm using the unofficial. Then stripped out every last bit of bloat before installing apps. Vastly better than stock and only one rom flash. Plus the -k holokernel. My guess is ICS official won't come out until late May or June at the earliest. Even after that there will be custom roms based on it so I'm not going to bother until a good custom rom based on the official ICS comes out.

fbauto1

Mar 27, 2012
That's nuts. Don't take advice from people who don't know what they are speaking about.

There are some great custom roms. Much better then any Sammy crapwiz stock rom.

Try them yourself. You will be glad u did. Just read and follow all instructions. Exactly

Be nice. Everything in any kind of forum is subjective.
I could also say you dont know what you're talking about if that's my opinion.
Im a senior software engineer who simply does not have the time to even look at Roms.
Does that make me "nuts?"

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
ICS seraphim is awesome. Works very smooth and is polished. There are very few known issues with most of these roms, nothing that should be a deal breaker for anyone.

Apex launcher is infinately better than touchwiz.

Also, ics stock revamped is another great rom ported over by smartguy044.

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
Be nice. Everything in any kind of forum is subjective.
I could also say you dont know what you're talking about if that's my opinion.
Im a senior software engineer who simply does not have the time to even look at Roms.
Does that make me "nuts?"

it takes about a half hour to read what you need to know, and another half hour to root, flash cwm, and flash a ROM...are you seriously that busy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
Also, what about ICS roms? Is the battery good?<br />
<br />

Reading will tell you all of the features in less time than it takes somebody else to look them up for you, type a response, and for you to read their response. Trying out the roms yourself will show you everything and you can figure out your own likes and dislikes of every ROM.

giantenemybird

Oct 28, 2011
Austin, TX
it takes about a half hour to read what you need to know, and another half hour to root, flash cwm, and flash a ROM...are you seriously that busy?

And then the time to set up the rom, try different roms, discover compatibility issues, find out which apps cause battery drain..etc...

It can be much more time consuming than what you're describing.

Reactions: i_max2k2

Buddy39914

Aug 31, 2011
Reading will tell you all of the features in less time than it takes somebody else to look them up for you, type a response, and for you to read their response. Trying out the roms yourself will show you everything and you can figure out your own likes and dislikes of every ROM.

Yeah, im asking different people who tried the ROM, hows the battery for them.

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
Yeah, im asking different people who tried the ROM, hows the battery for them.

I can get 2-3 days, maybe even more if I keep the power off. But less if I actually turn on the screen and use it.

What are you trying to find out here? The battery on the Note is what it is.

jb0nd38372

Feb 11, 2011
Savannah, Tn
Moto G Power
+1 for Stock Revamped, I am running it, and waiting to see how NoteWorthy turns out.

ICS seraphim is awesome. Works very smooth and is polished. There are very few known issues with most of these roms, nothing that should be a deal breaker for anyone.

Apex launcher is infinately better than touchwiz.

Also, ics stock revamped is another great rom ported over by smartguy044.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never try any custom Rom yet but usually there is always bugs on custom roms. I just suggest u wait for the official ics.

Then Why do you even have an xda account??
    That's nuts. Don't take advice from people who don't know what they are speaking about.

There are some great custom roms. Much better then any Sammy crapwiz stock rom.

Try them yourself. You will be glad u did. Just read and follow all instructions. Exactly
    aw geez, not ANOTHER "how's the battery" thread....

NO ONES BATTERY WILL BE THE SAME AS YOURS...THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TRY IT YOURSELF!!

sorry about the caps, but this question just makes me crazy...

And then the time to set up the rom, try different roms, discover compatibility issues, find out which apps cause battery drain..etc...

It can be much more time consuming than what you're describing.
    Truth be told, personally, all you need is root right now. Once you get root, rename the bloatware apps from *.apk to *.bpk and do a factory reset.

Getting root is extremely easy, there are several threads in the development section.

Important!!! As far as what apps to rename, only rename what is safe to rename. If you dont know what it is, leave it alone!! I havent seen a list anywhere of the bloatware but its pretty easy to figure it out. Renaming the apps is effectively the same as uninstalling them (after you do a factory reset) but still allows you to put them back should you want to update to the official ICS - just rename the *.bpks BACK to *.apk and remove the root (instructions are on the development boards).

The factory reset is easily done by going to settings->Privacy-Factory Data Reset. This will clear out any apps that are still loading from the pre-cached data created by Android (any apps you renamed may still continue to load due to the pre-cached data - the factory reset removes this pre-cached data and the files renamed to *.bpk will not be rebuilt). A factory reset will still retain your root access.

There are other things you can do as well such as installing CWM (which you should do before you do anything other than rooting or renaming apks), installing custom kernels, installing custom scripts, and installing new roms. But truth be told, most people would probably be happy with the bloatware removed and if that isnt enough, CWM with a different kernel and possibly some script installs. Flashing a new rom right now doesnt really bring much to the table.