Undervolt Kernel without lack of HSPUPA? Or battary reduction options?

Search This thread

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
Hello I have run both the stock cm7 and cattleprods 4.3.1 with smartass
Even going as far as to use SetCPU profiles to reduce CPU to 245 min/Max on screen lock. Im able to squeeze 11-12 hours with decent usage
from what I unslderstand reading the lord UV kernal people are lacking hsupa which is something I rather like. And while im ok with 12hours usage if something unexpected it long dinner party after work, im SOL
Any help or tips would be great

Thanks

Drew
Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

helushune

Mar 23, 2011
Seattle
helushune.net
HSUPA seems to be hit or miss on the LorDmod kernel which is strange because it's based off the CM7 kernel by Kali-. I changed my APN and my HSUPA speeds came back, at least what's normal for me in my area (3.5mbps down/2mbps up).

I was pulling a little over 48 hours out of the -25mV undervolt BFQhs version before it needed a charge or it wouldn't last the next day. I'm currently running the Pinky Ultra Undervolt version and will see what kind of battery life I can pull out of it.

Reactions: drewdatrip

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
Wrong forum for this. It should be in general but the lordmod kernel probably isn't the hsupa killer it was probably the radio swap I did. I fixed it but it was a PITA!

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G running CyanogenMod 7 using Tapatalk.

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
HSUPA seems to be hit or miss on the LorDmod kernel which is strange because it's based off the CM7 kernel by Kali-. I changed my APN and my HSUPA speeds came back, at least what's normal for me in my area (3.5mbps down/2mbps up).

I was pulling a little over 48 hours out of the -25mV undervolt BFQhs version before it needed a charge or it wouldn't last the next day. I'm currently running the Pinky Ultra Undervolt version and will see what kind of battery life I can pull out of it.

Can I get a little assistance? I read throughout the your thread and the one u linked. There are about 15 different kernals and UV zips

Thanks. Im really interested in trying this out

Drew

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
Wrong forum for this. It should be in general but the lordmod kernel probably isn't the hsupa killer it was probably the radio swap I did. I fixed it but it was a PITA!

Sorry I couldent figure which forum would be most appropriate
anyone can move it if they are so inclined.

Drew

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal

Do you just flash the lordmodV4.4.1-BFS-BFQ.zip file in recovery?
What do you do with lowervoltages-25.zip?
Thanks for the assistance this will be my first UV type kernel

Drew

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA

Drew

Wipe Cache and load the 2 .zip files just like a ROM. Hopefully you won't lose HSUPA like I did (I still think it was the radio swap but I refuse to try this again as it was a pain to fix).

Reactions: drewdatrip

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
Sounds good. Ill report back with my findings regarding the HSUPA and overall batt improvements.
Thanks

Drew

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
Sounds good. Ill report back with my findings regarding the HSUPA and overall batt improvements.
Thanks

Drew

I'll tell you the -50mV kernel mod froze the phone numerous times when opening an app to where I had to pull battery. The -25mV mod didn't help at all for my battery life. My phone drained same as always which is terrible but not great either.

helushune

Mar 23, 2011
Seattle
helushune.net
Can I get a little assistance? I read throughout the your thread and the one u linked. There are about 15 different kernals and UV zips

Thanks. Im really interested in trying this out

Drew

I'd say go with BFQhs CFS or the V(R) I/O flavor (edit: scratch that, looks like he pulled the VIO one until tomorrow), they're supposed to be faster than the others. The non-undervolted kernel might give you fine battery life so there's a possibility you won't need to undervolt at all. Also, flashing an undervolt patch is optional.

Unlike Mustang, my phone responded extremely well to the -25mV but seemed to go back to typical drain when I switched over to -50mV. And it seems like it's enjoying the Pinky ultra undervolt so far. Like LorDmod says, try them out and see what works.

Flashing the kernel's simple,
Do a backup
Reboot in to recovery
Clear /cache
Clear Dalvik cache
Install kernel zip
Install undervolt zip (optional)
Reboot and enjoy

Last edited:

henrybravo

Mar 31, 2011
Tulsa, OK
This is just my experience - during extensive testing for my APN modification thread I ran multiple versions of lordmod and never lost HSUPA speeds from the kernel itself. Any loss of speeds were due to other issues which were identified and corrected.

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
This is just my experience - during extensive testing for my APN modification thread I ran multiple versions of lordmod and never lost HSUPA speeds from the kernel itself. Any loss of speeds were due to other issues which were identified and corrected.

Yeah like I said I'm 99.9% sure it was the change in radio that did me in but it just so happened to be just before flashing the kernel and I didn't notice till the next day I lost HSUPA. I personally will stick with stock CM7 kernel just because I messed with my own head lol.

gordec

Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Unlike Mustang, my phone responded extremely well to the -25mV but seemed to go back to typical drain when I switched over to -50mV. And it seems like it's enjoying the Pinky ultra undervolt so far. Like LorDmod says, try them out and see what works.

I have only tried -50mV with the latest LordMod which after 2 days is giving about same battery life as stock CM7 (about 20-24hr with moderate use). I cannot explain how -25mV gave you better battery life. I don't understand how much the other 2 version undervolts.

As a whole now tried OC/UV on both the Captivate and the Inspire, I have not noticed a significant difference in battery life with either of these phones. Also it seems like all the ROMs give me about the same battery life, and the whole thing about re-calibrate your battery if you don't flash with a full battery hasn't held up for me either. I can flash a new rom with 30% battery or 100% my battery drain remains unchanged.

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
I have only tried -50mV with the latest LordMod which after 2 days is giving about same battery life as stock CM7 (about 20-24hr with moderate use). I cannot explain how -25mV gave you better battery life. I don't understand how much the other 2 version undervolts.

As a whole now tried OC/UV on both the Captivate and the Inspire, I have not noticed a significant difference in battery life with either of these phones. Also it seems like all the ROMs give me about the same battery life, and the whole thing about re-calibrate your battery if you don't flash with a full battery hasn't held up for me either. I can flash a new rom with 30% battery or 100% my battery drain remains unchanged.

My experience mirrors yours. No matter where my battery is when I flash a ROM the drain remains the same. I've also done the whole wipe of battery stats and no difference either. It lasts me long enough as I charge it overnight anyways while I sleep so oh well I'm not too worried about it anymore really.

I recently removed the battery percent from the status bar. All I ended up doing was obsessing over it and had to see where it was all the time. So now I just use the gauge and feel better about the battery lol and not even focus on battery too much unless I'm away from my charger for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

NikolaiT

Aug 20, 2010
I'll tell you the -50mV kernel mod froze the phone numerous times when opening an app to where I had to pull battery. The -25mV mod didn't help at all for my battery life. My phone drained same as always which is terrible but not great either.

That is because your device can't handle it, every device handles it differently.
As an example, my device handles UUV fine, but when attempting to use PUV it boots, but with any random reboots and application FCs.

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
That is because your device can't handle it, every device handles it differently.
As an example, my device handles UUV fine, but when attempting to use PUV it boots, but with any random reboots and application FCs.

Right which sucks cause I wanted to try the others lol. Oh well I guess.

helushune

Mar 23, 2011
Seattle
helushune.net

Trust me, it makes absolutely no logical sense to me either. It seems to really like the PUV version as well so I'm not complaining.

For me, there is a noticeable difference between the stock kernel and undervolting. Stock CM7, my phone drains at around 3% per hour. Undervolted, it's slightly less than 1% per hour and possibly even better with PUV.

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
With the CFS BFQhs and -25 UV I got another hour and change. I feel like I used it the same maybe more. Im gonna try another one of his kernel and maybe the -50 or UUV see if NY device can hang with it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Drew

Wipe Cache and load the 2 .zip files just like a ROM. Hopefully you won't lose HSUPA like I did (I still think it was the radio swap but I refuse to try this again as it was a pain to fix).