Question HTC M7 vs HTC DROID DNA...

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Interesting. If the leak is real and VZW hobbles the memory to 16GB again that would suck. How on earth would they position both phones in their line up?

Verizon's HTC M7 could come to life as a Droid DNA refresh

New details suggest that Big Red may offer the rumored HTC M7 as an updated Droid DNA.

by Scott Webster | February 4, 2013 1:55 PM PST

Verizon may soon debut a refreshed version of the HTC Droid DNA smartphone, according to newly uncovered details leaked by software developer and HTC insider @LlabTooFeR.

Hardware specifications for a model known as DLXPLUS suggest that the nation's largest wireless provider could be readying a device with details that are not unlike the rumored HTC M7.

The hardware list points to an Android Jelly Bean device with Sense 5.0, a 4.7-inch 1080p display, a 13-megapixel camera, and a quad-core 1.7GHz Snapdragon S4 processor. Said to also have 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage, the DLXPLUS has all the makings of an M7.

The Droid DNA, for its part, was known by the code name of DLX in the months leading up to announcement.

Interestingly enough, Verizon is not thought to be one of the carrier getting ready to offer HTC's flagship smartphone. Perhaps Big Red wants some breathing room between the Droid DNA and the next big HTC thing.

Another explanation for this fork is that AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile will carry the M7 under a single name, while Verizon bucks the trend with its own version. Logic suggests that the DLXPLUS could be to the Droid DNA what the HTC One X+ is for AT&T's current model. In other words, a beefier, more powerful experience with the same outward appearance. But so soon?

Given just how new the Droid DNA is, I find the scenario of an upcoming M7 competitor potentially confusing to customers. One of the Droid DNA's key selling points is its 5-inch display, something that neither the M7 or DLXPLUS is expected to offer. Will buyers view this as an upgrade if it has a smaller screen? Will Verizon cannibalize sales of the HTC Droid DNA smartphone?

Let's hope that some of this is cleared up come February 19, when HTC takes the stage to unveil its next superphone.​

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...m7-could-come-to-life-as-a-droid-dna-refresh/

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
Wow, that post was close to incomprehensible. The m7 is not a "droid" branded device, and will not be a flagship phone. Samsung has their s3 series, sure they make other phones, but the s3 line is their top product. For Htc, it is there incredible series, usually distinguished by the name, or the red highlighting. The dna is latest phone in that series of great phones.

The m7, while a capable device, is not in the same league as the dna. Regarding s-off, I assume you have not had Htc devices before. S-off always comes, and honestly it's really not that big of a deal anyway. Like others have mentioned, it only makes things slightly easier.

Good luck on your purchase

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Do you know what the meaning of flagship is? Its their top of the line device. The m7 equals or beats everything the DNA has to offer. How is that not a flagship? Nobody cares about "droid" branding........the only thing that encompasses is the obnoxious droid sound along with some red accents. Yes, the accents are nice but I'm not buying a phone based on that at all. The DNA is in the incredible series? Are you drunk? Sorry, but not in the same league because it has better specs? Regarding S-off.....have you ever owned an HTC device without sd card? FYI, not a single HTC phone EVER produced without an sd card has gotten s-off yet.....

Sorry for the rant but there wasn't any facts in any of that.....

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I thought and don't quote me on this that the M7 has additional storage 32GB, a removable battery and an SD Card slot. All the stuff that the DNA is kinda lacking.

Good thing nobody quoted you........because the m7 has NEITHER the removable battery OR the sd card.....

atishpatel2012

Jan 23, 2013
Well this is interesting. I haven't bought a DNA yet so i hope this phone, the "DNA+", will be ready at launch on Feb 19. Has the no SD card thing been confirmed or anything? all just speculations? It'd be awesome to get CM on whichever phone i get so *hopes up* :)

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
Verizon is being stupid. They should've let the Butterfly be the DNA, but they told HTC to hold back a few things. Now they release an "improved" version with marginally better battery and possibly better camera (it is not 13mp but a three layer sensor or something like that).

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
it is not 13mp but a three layer sensor or something like that

That's actually an interesting twist. It was pretty much assumed HTC would use the new 13MP Exmor RS sensor just released like everyone else. They are going their own way and using three layered 4.3MP sensors each dedicated to red/blue/green individually like a Nokia PureView hybrid. Samsung uses Sony sensors so the SGS4 will probably have Exmor RS. It'll be interesting to see which of the two approaches delivers the best stills and videos.

If this news is true, I don't even see why anyone would buy the DNA at this point. If true, it means that HTC has already moved on from the DNA. And if you don't have the DNA yet, it would be foolish not to just wait a bit and get the M7 instead.

It takes at least six months to develop a new device so there was overlap between the Butterfly and M7. While we're confused HTC had to have known their positioning strategy for the two devices all along. If you think about it, if the Japanese carriers and VZW both wanted HTC to build a 1080P phone for their markets there's more than enough volume between the two to justify whipping one up. So it may have always been a carrier-sponsored device that HTC just decided to milk since the costs were already covered to launch it in the Asian countries and pick up some incremental sales until the M7 arrived.

To your point, February 19th is only two weeks away and VZW's plans (if any) for the M7 will be known then so it makes sense to wait.

NSammut

Dec 25, 2012
I hate big companies . They always get you with their newest thing, but then invent another thing only a few months later

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
I hate big companies . They always get you with their newest thing, but then invent another thing only a few months later

That's just how technology works. It had nothing to do with 'big' companies. Newer technology is always in the works.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

the_passenger

Aug 25, 2006
so if the rumor is true then model for new phone would be HTC6440LVW instead of HTC6435LVW for the Droid DNA. :D
dang, and it has microSD card support. Anyone wanna buy my 99% new DNA ?

Last edited:

NSammut

Dec 25, 2012
so if the rumor is true then model for new phone would be HTC6440LVW instead of HTC6435LVW for the Droid DNA. :D
dang, and it has microSD card support. Anyone wanna buy my 99% new DNA ?

Haha I was just thinking about this, I heard the s4 coming out is supposed to be pretty sweet too.. But whatever, already unlocked and everything might as well as keep it

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

That's just how technology works. It had nothing to do with 'big' companies. Newer technology is always in the works.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

They definitely a hold the newer model back so people get sucked into the old one then make evn more money on the newer one

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
That's actually an interesting twist. It was pretty much assumed HTC would use the new 13MP Exmor RS sensor just released like everyone else. They are going their own way and using three layered 4.3MP sensors each dedicated to red/blue/green individually like a Nokia PureView hybrid. Samsung uses Sony sensors so the SGS4 will probably have Exmor RS. It'll be interesting to see which of the two approaches delivers the best stills and videos.

It takes at least six months to develop a new device so there was overlap between the Butterfly and M7. While we're confused HTC had to have known their positioning strategy for the two devices all along. If you think about it, if the Japanese carriers and VZW both wanted HTC to build a 1080P phone for their markets there's more than enough volume between the two to justify whipping one up. So it may have always been a carrier-sponsored device that HTC just decided to milk since the costs were already covered to launch it in the Asian countries and pick up some incremental sales until the M7 arrived.

To your point, February 19th is only two weeks away and VZW's plans (if any) for the M7 will be known then so it makes sense to wait.

You keep forgetting about one very small market, China. I know the population of 1.3 billion, and the largest buyers of smartphone's is easy to overlook at times :p

China Unicom wanted to add a 1080p android device to their lineup as the decline of iPhone and the huge demand for Android has been a suprising twist. China Unicom wanted it to be released the same time as the J Butterfly went on sale but the Chinese Government has quite a number of hurdles for OEM's to jump through so it got delayed. There is rumors that China Mobile might pick up the M7 but their home grown version of CDMA has been a royal pain in the butt. The SGS3 on china mobile is still on ICS because JB is unstable when combined with TD-CDMA. China mobile has targeted a March release of JB for the SGS3 but getting reliable information from carriers here is like hoping for rain in the Sahara.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
You keep forgetting about one very small market, China.

HTC has 2% market share in China and there's no shortage of high-end choices available like the Oppo Find 5 which costs less. I didn't forget China, it's going to take HTC years (if at all) to become a serious player there. Consider that Samsung only has 26% market share after years in the market and enormous investment in partnerships. HTC saying they want to sell phones in China and selling them there in large quantities are two different things. You do business there so know how complicated navigating the market is. And the glacial pace that things move at when the Chinese are dealing with foreigners that directly compete with hometown companies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So whats the about ot jave thw aame stuff thw only diferrence is thw camera

Thw camera is diferrence but thw aame stuff like the storage, battery, and display tech is diferrence too. Hope that amswer your qiestion
    Being someone who just got the DNA, i kinda hope the m7 will have horrible battery life so i can still feel good about my phone lol.
    The m7 is not a "droid" branded device, and will not be a flagship phone.

Huh? The DNA/Butterfly is a regional interim release based on the One XL. The M7 will be HTC's "flagship" global phone to compete with the XZ, SGS4, and LG E940 and will include quad-band HSPA which the Butterfly intentionally did not. Here are features it's supposed to have (based on leaks) not in the DNA:

• First use of SoLux display technology in a mobile device
    • 32GB+ internal storage
    • 2,300 mAh battery
    • 13MP Exmor RS camera sensor
    • First official use of Sense 5
    It's supposed to follow Samsung's lead with the SGS3 and be released on multiple U.S. carriers without any changes (unlike the One XL, EVO 4G LTE) and Sprint's supposed to carry it so a CDMA version will exist. If VZW decides not to carry it then the DNA will remain the HTC "flagship" but only on VZW. There’s not one feature on the DNA that’s superior to the leaked specs of the M7. And while the M7’s display might be 3/10 of an inch smaller SoLux stands to set a new standard in brightness and outdoor usability. As it is, the DNA’s display is 30% dimmer than the OG One X.

If you’re on VZW wait until the HTC U.S. launch of the M7 on February 19th to see if their one of the carriers that’s going to carry it. If they don’t and you want an HTC device the DNA’s still a solid choice if you can live with the battery and storage constraints.
    The J Butterfly/Butterfly which are the generic versions of the DNA sold everywhere directly by HTC do not. All of HTC's "flagships" that they've sold directly globally do.

Global Butterfly

Global One X+

ok... I never said the butterfly had it, I was just commenting on the fact that you were wrong on stating that the dna does not have quad band hspa
    ... the DNA’s still a solid choice if you can live with the battery and storage constraints.

I'm so tired of this buzz word. The battery on the dna is fine. Myself, wife, and best friend all have dna's, we all get 15 hours of life easily. Who the hell is away from a charger for more than that anyway.. This is America not Africa.

The storage "constraints"? If you are not tied into at least one cloud storage service by now your doing it wrong. With Dropbox integrated into everything, as well as amazon Google, storing stuff locally on a device is freaking archaic. So other phones have 32gb, 64gb..Hell maybe they have a few TB of storage, who wants to store all that stuff on a PHONE that could be lost.. stolen, broken, bricked, wiped, broken, stolen.... You get the idea.

You also misunderstand the term "flagship" device. Just because a device comes out from a carrier that has a better number here, a smaller number there does not make it a flagship line device. The m7 is most certainly not in direct competition with the s4. If you pay attention to HTC's launch schedule, you will notice that they only release flagship devices approx once per year and usually towards the middle or later part of the year.

The dna is going to be outpaced just like every other phone is. But the m7 is not the successor, nor will it be "the next big thing", I consider it the "thunderbolt" of this year. Good phone, but not of "droid" stature

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2