Debian on the X10

Search This thread

tina333

Sep 6, 2010
Cornwall
linux insaller app

Hey :)

Has anyone tried l"linux installer" app?

(web add) android.galoula.com/en/LinuxInstall/

Its on the market and has the "tux" penguin icon. I've just started trying to install it but I seem to be having problems with the file directories?? I was hoping there might be some info on this thread :)

Tina :) x

X10i (rooted)

pataxda

Aug 6, 2010
München
I tried to install ubuntu with the xperia-fix from post 25 but I always get:
bootubuntu: not found

I already searched the web but I can't find a solution (only other people having the same problem and getting no answers X_X)
I hope some of those who got to run ubuntu on their x10 can help me out here :)
It would also be great if someone could make a small tutorial on how to get it working for the x10

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
I had it running but had to wipe everything off my x10 and now I can't get it to work anymore. BTW, we should make a lighter, faster and better optimised for touchscreen version off ubuntu =D

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

plinius10

Aug 31, 2010
Why Ubuntu?? it's big and bloated and huuuge, did i mention it's big?

There are numerous smaller linux versions dsl, puppy and so on.

Why don't use a smaller, less memory eating os?

just my thoughts. i like the work!

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
Why Ubuntu?? it's big and bloated and huuuge, did i mention it's big?

There are numerous smaller linux versions dsl, puppy and so on.

Why don't use a smaller, less memory eating os?

just my thoughts. i like the work!

The reason why we use ubuntu is because it has an ARM-port;)
DSL and puppy don't have ARM-ports, and without an ARM-version of a linux distribution, it can't be installed on our phones;)

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
I'll try to get ubuntu running again and when that's done, I'll make a tutorial on how to do this. After that I hope to start some sort of "hype" about customizing ubuntu for phones so it becomes more touchfriendly, faster etc. (like a UI similar to the netbook version of Ubuntu, with lxde as desktop environment and replacing big programs which use a lot of memory for lighter alternatives). Than ubuntu might actually become really usefull for phones.

What do you guys think? And is there anyone who would like to help creating this customized ubuntu-version?

pataxda

Aug 6, 2010
München
That's a great idea...I totally support that and would like to help.
I have spare time now, so I can start to learn a bit about ubuntu. I was also thinking about doing the android tutorials :D but if you get ubuntu running on x10 again then I'll be the first to sign up (well maybe not the first one...oktoberfest begins tomorrow xD)

pataxda

Aug 6, 2010
München
@tina:
I tried "linux installer" but after the first step when you create the loop the app is laggy and I can't go further and get an error when trying to extract and install into loop. :(

Cablekevin

Jan 27, 2010
www.cablekevin.nl
I'll try to get ubuntu running again and when that's done, I'll make a tutorial on how to do this. After that I hope to start some sort of "hype" about customizing ubuntu for phones so it becomes more touchfriendly, faster etc. (like a UI similar to the netbook version of Ubuntu, with lxde as desktop environment and replacing big programs which use a lot of memory for lighter alternatives). Than ubuntu might actually become really usefull for phones.

What do you guys think? And is there anyone who would like to help creating this customized ubuntu-version?

I'd help, i'm Dutch too, get in touch with me.

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
OK, this is strange. When I copied the ubuntu files to my SDCard and I disabled the connection between the SDCard and the computer, it says my SDCard is damaged and needs to be reformatted:mad: And another problem is that when I get to the command "bootubuntu" it says it's failling to shut down ubuntu, which is strange. Anyone any idea on how to solve these problems?

BTW, sorry for my English, I'm Dutch

Mostaqeel

Apr 9, 2009
Doha
Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong here?

1- I downloaded the image and extracted to the sdcard and renamed to debian.img
2- copy the first script into a file named startdeb.sh into the sdcard
3- open a terminal and use the following commands
$ su
# cd /sdcard
# chmod 777 ./startdeb.sh
# ./startdeb.sh

then i receive this:

./startdeb.sh: permission denied

I don't really know what i'm doing wrong, please anyone help.

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
Are you installing debian or ubuntu? And are you following the tutorial of nexusonehacks or any other site?

Cablekevin

Jan 27, 2010
www.cablekevin.nl
I've got a ubuntu distro up and running with Netbook Remix, managed to get a img file, the only problem is when i run the debian .sh file a load of errors pop up. Meikrekel do you have another .sh file set up to do that thing?

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
That img is probably not optimized for ARM and especially not for our qualcomm ARM.

Cablekevin

Jan 27, 2010
www.cablekevin.nl
Filefactory isn't doing it for me so is Megaupload for me, but i grabbed an img from the web "lucid-on-android-0.1". I've got a cross cursor now and a black and white background, no login no nothing, but i've got some progression now. Need to grab that Megaupload file in a moment.

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
Awesome, can you open up a terminal in android, boot up that ubuntu and then install a few things like LDE (that launcher i told you about, this is great because it is 10.04 and that has an interface build in like the netbook version of ubuntu but in 2D and so it should run on ARM devices) and a vncclient?

Cablekevin

Jan 27, 2010
www.cablekevin.nl
Awesome, can you open up a terminal in android, boot up that ubuntu and then install a few things like LDE (that launcher i told you about, this is great because it is 10.04 and that has an interface build in like the netbook version of ubuntu but in 2D and so it should run on ARM devices) and a vncclient?
I'm going to put "lucid-on-android-0.1" aside for now, downloading the 700mb one, hopefully my X11 starts up correctly this time, i'll delete stuff from it by myself, i think the lucid one has to plenty files to operate normally.

Meikrekel

Jul 15, 2010
Bergen
Hmm.. that means that u use ubuntu 9.x and I liked the fact that you had 10.04 because that ads the possibility to install that look of the netbook edition of ubuntu in 2d, which isn't possible in 9.x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MESSAGE TO MODS, I could not include urls so have added spaces to pass spam filter.. please change?]
    Well now we finally have root on our shiny devices I decided to crack open
    the beers and get to work getting debian running on the X10..
    the process is actually pretty straight-forward.
    (as it turns out the x10's kernel already has support for most things needed
    such as the ext2 filesystem)

-- step 1--
    firstly we need to create a debian image for the phone, there are a few already out there but you can use the following to create your own
    Code:
    apt-get install debootstrap
    dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img seek=749999999 bs=1 count=1
    mke2fs -F debian.img
    mkdir debian
    mount -o loop debian.img debian
    debootstrap --verbose --arch armel --foreign lenny debian [ht]tp:[//]ftp. de. debian. org/debian
    umount debian

how ever if you would prefer to use a ready built one (recomended for less techies ;) ) you can get one from: rapidshare. com/files/161776007/debian-armel-750.img.bz2

(had to include spaces in the url to pass spam filter, could a mod please change this?)

now copy this too the root of your sdcard and make sure its called debian.img

-- step 2 --

I have created a script to do most of the other work for you:

Code:
    alias b=busybox
    export PATH=/data/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:$PATH
    b mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0
    b mount -o loop,noatime /sdcard/debian.img /data/local/mnt
    echo 'nameserver 4.2.2.2' >data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf
    b chroot /data/local/mnt
    mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
    mount -t proc proc /proc
    mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
    rm -f /etc/mtab
    ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

put this in your sdcard to.

-- step 3 --

Finally in any terminal emulator cd to the location of the startdeb.sh file
    and do the following:
    Code:
    chmod  777 ./startdeb.sh
    ./startdeb.sh

!! and your done !!
    you should now be within the debian system.. i suggest running
    Code:
    apt-get update
    and installing what ever apps you want
    (my first choices were gcc, python and tightvncserver)

[ EXTRA ]
    now your on debian you can use
    Code:
    apt-get install tightvncserver
    to get the xwindow system and the vnc server
    now set both your HOME and USER variables
    Code:
    export HOME=/root
    export USER=root
    (or what ever user you choose)
    and run
    Code:
    tightvncserver
    (your also gonna have to download lxde and do a few other bits of setup
    have a look around for X11 "Ported" to android post on these forums)
    you could also change the config so that the desktop is displayed
    at the right size for the screen :)
    just use a vnc client from the market to connect to your GUI :D