IPhone touch screen much more accurate than atrix

Search This thread

Dillsnik

Nov 29, 2006
yeah but the iphone side of the hair is better right? i mean it has to be, steve jobs said so

wow...sensitive? ha, :rolleyes:

but seriously a fact is a fact...i'm no phanboy and i love my atrix, but typing is probably the single most important feature of a smart phone...if i can't do that without getting frustrated i'm not gonna be happy with the device. for now i stil miss my hard keybd (or kb Bravomotorola)

i just hope my difficulties are do to inexperience on a touch screen kb and i'll get better as i go

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011

but seriously a fact is a fact...i'm no phanboy and i love my atrix, but typing is probably the single most important feature of a smart phone...if i can't do that without getting frustrated i'm not gonna be happy with the device. for now i stil miss my hard keybd (or kb Bravomotorola)

i just hope my difficulties are do to inexperience on a touch screen kb and i'll get better as i go

I would like to have a physical also, but I started using SlideIT and it works wonders for me. I tried the preinstalled swype (which got me liking the sliding method of typing) but I didn't like the functional aspects nor the dictionary.

Dillsnik

Nov 29, 2006
nice i'm goona try it, do you have lite or full version (it's like $7!)

btw, can add to swype dictionary, and newer version is supposedly better...i think i would like swype if it knew all my words i wanted and i got rid of some i'd never use

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
nice i'm goona try it, do you have lite or full version (it's like $7!)

btw, can add to swype dictionary, and newer version is supposedly better...i think i would like swype if it knew all my words i wanted and i got rid of some i'd never use

Try the trial version first to see if you like it. if you end up buying it you can download the language pack of your choosing and you can add AND delete words from the dictionary.

Also, watch the tutorial video as well, its very informative.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com

lol no. i had iphones for a few years. i actually find swype to be a superior keyboard in almost every way to the iphone keyboard...

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
I just came from an iPhone 4 and before that the 3G and the typing on the Atrix is just as easy and accurate for me as it was on the iPhone.

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
Yeah, i think it boils down to preference.

Exactly. That's what people need to realize. Some people like option A and other option B. God forbid someone not agree with you though. That creates a huge spam war haha.

Oh and the beta swype IMO is awesome! I've finally become used to it and have gotten quite fast at typing now.

Last edited:

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
i dont think i have a problem with the keyboard on iphone 4, nexus S or atrix.

my main problem was/is during the web browsing. it doesnt detect my finger correctly.

for example, when i am browsing neogaf or xda through the web browser. and i want to click on page number 4 , or last page. on the iphone 99% of the time detect what i want to click correctly. on andriod, i have to zoom in for it to click otherwise it will click on page 3 or something.

long time ago , there was a video showing how the iphone detect your fingers. the person was drawing straight line slowly across the screen. and the iphone was the only phone that was drawing straight lines while the droid " at that time " was drawing zig zag lines.

implying that the detect sensors of the screens where much more than the droid at that time " compared with 2g"

i am not sure how much this evolved since then. or whatever this is a software related issue or a hardware.

Last edited:

bfksc

Dec 13, 2010

I guarantee you will (and so does Motorola or any other manufactuer).

The reason is simple...the keyboard software learns as you use it, so it predicts the words you type more accurately the more you use it. That's why someone coming from a BlackBerry with its physical keyboard or iPhone with its software keyboard initially has issues with inaccuracy - the phone is simply new and needs to learn your typing patterns. You can't compare a year of learned usage on one device and then pick up a new device and expect it to handle your typing patterns the same way.

I used to have an iPhone 3G (my first smartphone since the BB I had wasn't really smart) and went to Android using the HTC Legend, HTC Desire, and now Motorola Atrix. Each and every time the keyboard was somewhat "sloppy" out of the box (including the iPhone). But in a week or two it begins to learn your patterns and accuracy increases quite a bit.

So just give it some time and be careful of your typos, and in a while the phone (any smartphone really) will be just as good as any other.

Also note that many Android phones (not the Atrix though) have a calibration for the touchscreen to help optimize your typing pattern. Finger size and shape, along with dexterity affects accuracy, so while calibration helps some, others it does little.

bfksc

Dec 13, 2010
i dont think i have a problem with the keyboard on iphone 4, nexus S or atrix.
Same here...give it some time and all are decent.
my main problem was/is during the web browsing. it doesnt detect my finger correctly.

for example, when i am browsing neogaf or xda through the web browser. and i want to click on page number 4 , or last page. on the iphone 99% of the time detect what i want to click correctly. on andriod, i have to zoom in for it to click otherwise it will click on page 3 or something.

long time ago , there was a video showing how the iphone detect your fingers. the person was drawing straight line slowly across the screen. and the iphone was the only phone that was drawing straight lines while the droid " at that time " was drawing zig zag lines.

implying that the detect sensors of the screens where much more than the droid at that time " compared with 2g"

i am not sure how much this evolved since then. or whatever this is a software related issue or a hardware.
I would say it's software related, and that the iPhone is averaging touches while Android is simply relaying direct info, as the Google moto implies.

It's like the GPS in the iPhone, it tends to be less accurate "at the moment" but slightly more accurate "overall" as it averages your location rather than showing actual GPS results. I've compared the iPhone 3G and 4 with the HTC Desire and Legend and found the iPhones are less accurate for pinpointing a specific location (like that needed for geocaching). But generally more accurate for driving routes and overall tracking results (although the accuracy of the HTC phones is quite good too).

So what I'm saying is Apple tends to focus more on overall accuracy for a more pleasing and simple experience, while Android focuses more on immediate accuracy and direct results for those who want the exact data. Both work just fine in my opinion.

YMMV.
:)

Last edited:

cpshoemake

Mar 12, 2011
Try SwiftKey. My typing speed has more than doubled since I started using it.

The predictions are much more accurate than on an iPhone since it predicts based on previous words in the sentence instead of just the current word.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

wouwout

Aug 18, 2009
Sydney, AU
Try SwiftKey. My typing speed has more than doubled since I started using it.

The predictions are much more accurate than on an iPhone since it predicts based on previous words in the sentence instead of just the current word.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Definitely Swiftkey. Its predicition is amazing, word based (it checks all your sms and mails and gives you 3 options for the next word).