[NST][CWR][RC2] Clockworkmod based Recovery - fixed backup issue

Search This thread
A

ace7196

Can this be done manually using noogie? Or perhaps you could make a 4gb image (or tell me how to :)

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Can this be done manually using noogie? Or perhaps you could make a 4gb image (or tell me how to :)
I'm not sure what you want to do. If you want to replace the recovery on your nook, you can use noogie, just replace the files uRecRam and uRecImg with uRamdisk and uImage from the install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip. The SD-Card Images boot directly from the SD-Card and don't change the devices recovery.
You can write the 2GB-Image to a 4GB Card and use it with the only downside that only 2GB of space are useable.
If you want a SD-Card with the full 4GB of space, write the attached img onto your card and extract the attached boot-files on the card.

Attachments

• 1gb_blank.tar.gz.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 4gb_blank.tar.gz.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 8gb_blank.tar.gz.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 88
  • boot-files-rc2.zip
    4 MB · Views: 150
A

ace7196

Thanks!
Yeah, I was referring to using Noogie. I saw uRecRam and uRecImg, but wasn't sure if you had to do anything else to replace it :)

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I feel a need to point out that if you replace the current recovery files on the NST's Boot Partition then you won't be able to use the recovery disk if anything goes wrong you'll be stuck relying purely on CWM.

With that in mind, I'd also wait til it's in an actual release, not just RC before you decide to replace your device's recovery files.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
I feel a need to point out that if you replace the current recovery files on the NST's Boot Partition then you won't be able to use the recovery disk if anything goes wrong you'll be stuck relying purely on CWM.
Thats correct, but its easily possible to switch back to the stock recovery using install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip from CWM.

With that in mind, I'd also wait til it's in an actual release, not just RC before you decide to replace your device's recovery files.
The only reason that it is still RC is that I can't fix the sstuck after restore bug. Everything else works fine (at least no one reported any problems, and I also didn't experienced any).

Anyway, I will add a short warning.

Reactions: herofmm

than33

Sep 20, 2006
Świdnica
Google Pixel 7 Pro
THANK FOR THIS!

Now we have properly hacked android device. Now it is time to cook proper ROM to flash from CWM recovery.

Please tell me if ADB should work from recovery. Beacause ADB says there is no device.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
ADB works fine from cwm, but you have to add the usb-id to a config-file. You should find the necessary informations in the threads about adb over usb.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Thats correct, but its easily possible to switch back to the stock recovery using install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip from CWM.

The only reason that it is still RC is that I can't fix the sstuck after restore bug. Everything else works fine (at least no one reported any problems, and I also didn't experienced any).

Try heading into #nookcolor on irc.freenode.net and see if nemith can help you out with the issue. He may just have an idea about what causes it or could probably point you in the right direction about the cause.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
no, there is no ADB device at all. There are only two devices for external usb drives. nothing more.
Then there is something wrong with your adb installation. Do you see the nook when it is normally booted?

Attachments

• P1000846.jpg
    P1000846.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 286

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
You write the img-file to an SD-Card (NOT DIRECTLY ON TO THE NOOK), as you did when you made your touchnooter SD-Card.
When you insert the SD and reboot, CWM will start (this will not install CWM, just start it from the SD-Card). There is really no need to install CWM on the device as long as you aren't developing and need it constantly.

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005
You write the img-file to an SD-Card (NOT DIRECTLY ON TO THE NOOK), as you did when you made your touchnooter SD-Card.
When you insert the SD and reboot, CWM will start (this will not install CWM, just start it from the SD-Card). There is really no need to install CWM on the device as long as you aren't developing and need it constantly.

I tried WinIMA method but it didn't work.

traycold

Aug 9, 2010
OPPO Find X3 Pro
hi,
would it be possible to modify the CWM in order to implement a new feature in the storage or advanced menu?
I would need something like "fix system filesystem", that would run e2fsck command:
Code:
e2fsck -p /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
(please consider that in my case the automatic repair just worked, but maybe you know a better/safer way to set e2fskc, in order to fix system filesystem).

Currently, i have to: either boot with CWM sd-card, and launch the command through ADB; or boot with Noogie on linux, unmount system and launch the command from linux shell.
Having this feature directly in CWM would be way most easier! :cool:

I need sometimes to launch e2fsck since i'm making some experiment with framework.jar, involving several "push" of the file to Nook (using ADB): i found that this way, probably due to this file being in use, the disk space of the previous version of the file is somehow "corrupted", and after some time i run out of space on system filesystem ('df -h' says /system is full; while 'du -h /system' tell me that it is full only at 60-70%, i.e. what normally would be for system dir, without corrupted file!). Running the above e2fsck command reveal some corrupted files (something wrong with atime, if i remember well) and fix the issue.

Thanks for your help.

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
hi traycold,
i made you an update.zip that executes
Code:
e2fsck -p /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
Just put it on your sd-card and use the install zip from sd-card option in CWM. I tried it and it should work, if you have any problems, let me know.

Attachments

• e2fsck.zip
    154.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: traycold

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Would it be possible to get a copy of this that mounts internal /media too so you could put zips there and shrink down the image size required by an sdcard version of CWM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hv5duw.png

DISCLAMER and WARNING:
    • I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data. Make a backup before you try anything described here!
    • Making a backup with CWM only includes the following partitions: boot, system, data, cache. It doesn't include the /rom partition which contains data thats unique for every device. Use this backup method to make a full device backup.
    • Please do not use the restore backup function to restore backups made with versions prior and including RC1. They are faulty and restoring them damages an important bootfile of your nook. It isn't important with which version you restore, if the backup was made with Beta1, Beta2 or RC1 it will fail! Please read http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19945955&postcount=37

Changelog:
    • RC2
      • changed mount options of the boot partition (fixes the bad backup issue)
      • updated sources to the newest ones from CM
      • some internal changes for the screen refresh
    • RC1
      • reboot recovery in the advanced menu is now working
      • boot to recovery is now a bit faster
      • switched to automated build environment
      • moved some files to the appropriate place
    • Beta2
      Added page refresh after pushing back or select buttons, to get rid off the ghosting. Still not perfect, but good enough for a recovery.
    • Beta1
      First release

Hi,
    after some trying and hacking I was able to build a working Clockworkmod based recovery for the Nook Simple Touch.
    It is still a beta-version, but everything I tested (backup, restore, mount USB, install zip) works.

If you want to try it, just write one of the imgs from the sd_xx_clockwork-....zip to a SD card with at least the capacity mentioned in the filename. Put the card in your N2E and reboot. Do not write these images directly to the Nook, it will brick your device permanetly!

To replace the standard recovery of the N2E, copy also the install_cwm_recovery_xx.zip to the sdcard, boot into CWM and use the install zip from sdcard option to install it (it just replaces uRecRam and URecImg in the /boot partition, so you can also do it manually, if you want).
    There is really no need to install CWM on the device as long as you aren't developing and need it constantly. Please keep in mind that replacing the stock recovery will remove the restore function, that can be triggered by pressing the two lower buttons (or by eight failed boots). Restoring the stock recovery with install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip will bring back this function.

How to boot into recovery:
    • Power down the N2E
    • Press the power button for ca. 3 seconds, so that the device boots (you don't have to hold the power button after the 3 seconds)
    • As soon as the display changes to the "read forever" screen , push and hold the lower left and the lower right button until the screen changes again
    • Wait until you see the recovery

If you want the standard recovery back, use the install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip (See next post).

Button layout:
    • Both Buttons on the left: BACK
    • Upper button on the right: UP
    • Lower button on the right: DOWN
    • n button: SELECT
    • Power button: TOGGLE DISPLAY

Known bugs:
    • after restoring the boot partition, most of the times the recovery ends in an unresponsive state. The nook has to be rebooted by holding the power button. This is not affecting the restore!
    • "reboot system now" doesn't work always (sometimes you have to power cycle), experienced it only when booting from SD
    • Reboot to recovery by using adb reboot recovery doesn't work. (needs a new adbd binary in the uRamdisk)

DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, lost data. Make a backup before you try anything described here!

Credits go to:
    Useful update.zip's

rom_backup.zip
    Makes a backup of all the files that are on the /rom partition. Saves it to the SD-card /backup/rom_backup.tgz.
    This partition contains some important data, that is unique for every device (serial, MAC, ...).

install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip
    Installs the recovery from the stock 1.1 update.

MinimalTouch
    Automatic Rooting + Gapps by eded333

install_remount_commands.zip
    Adds the commands systemrw (remount /system rewritable) and systemro (remount /system readonly).

If you have useful update.zip's that should be included here, please let me know.
    New version is online!

I managed to get the recovery build by the CM-Buildenv, which means a step closer to going upstream.

Rebooting to recovery on the NC is done by writing the string "recovery" to the address 0x40 of the BCB file, I implemented it the same way to the NST. Use the install_reboot_to_recovery.zip to use this function.
    Which zip is the new, fixed one? The one at the bottom of the above posting, labeled zoom2?
    zoom2_source_rc2.zip are just the files to build the recovery yourself. The new recovery is in the opening post.