[How-To] Update to G900V_PF4 - 6.0.1

Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

Downloads:
- G900V_PF4_Stock_ROM.zip (For "Locked" Bootloaders - Unrooted)
- G900V_PF4_Stock_Deodexed_Debloated_ROM.zip (For "Locked" Bootloaders - Unrooted)

- G900V_PF4_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip (For "Unlocked" Bootloaders Only!)
- G900V_PF4_Stock_Deodexed_Debloated_Rooted_ROM.zip (For "Unlocked" Bootloaders Only!)

Instructions for "Locked" Bootloaders:
1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to "Download."
6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the **flash.
7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the G900V_PF4_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.
**The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition.

Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the Verizon splash screen for 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for deodexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Instructions for "Unlocked" Bootloaders: (Your Knox Warranty Bit will be tripped!)
1. Use the following guide however the above ROM's for "Unlocked" Bootloaders are pre-"system rooted," therefore there is no need to flash the SuperSu .zip file: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/development/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
- None!

Notes:
1. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Recovery, and Bootloader.
2. Native tethering is enabled on all of the ROM's.
3. No need to wipe prior to flashing, the ROM will automatically wipe User Data.
4. The Debloated version has all Google, most Verizon, and all Knox apps removed.
5. If you do not already have root access follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/root-method-og5-ok3-t3290370
6. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2

Last edited:

Dudash

Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati
Confirmed that after about 7min on the VZW boot animation, the deodexed version works just fine.
I wonder how long we'll get away with using the OD5 bootloader. lol.

Reactions: muniz_ri

jdrch

Jun 18, 2014
Quad Cities, IA
however the G900V_OD5_Bootloader is required for the ROM's to run (flash using Odin's AP slot).

This strikes me as very important information that should be included in the steps before it instead of being a footnote. Can anyone clarify the complete steps/process? Also, any idea what the changelog is?

EDIT: I'm on the rooted OD5 ROM from here http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/how-to-update-to-g900vod5-5-0-keeproot-t3136945 Just trying to make head or tail of the instructions in this post. Do I need to flash the OD5 bootloader since I'm already on OD5, or what?

Last edited:

chetqwerty

Jan 10, 2009
I'm a little confused why the first 3 steps in the FlashFire process is necessary (Google+ signup part) when you include the link for v19 just below, am i missing something here? Also, not being familiar with FlashFire, once i flash OE1 will i be given the option to boot into download mode to Odin the OD5 bootloader? I'm coming from OC4 so order is crucial here I'd imagine. Another also, i generally like deodexed roms, any caveats associated with this one? advanced voice features? My Verizon access? Thanks

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I'm a little confused why the first 3 steps in the FlashFire process is necessary (Google+ signup part) when you include the link for v19 just below, am i missing something here? Also, not being familiar with FlashFire, once i flash OE1 will i be given the option to boot into download mode to Odin the OD5 bootloader? I'm coming from OC4 so order is crucial here I'd imagine. Another also, i generally like deodexed roms, any caveats associated with this one? advanced voice features? My Verizon access? Thanks

I left the links to the FF thread for reference as it contains good discussion re: FF's progress.

As for the bootloader instructions, I will add the steps to the instructions. I mistakenly assumed most people already had that level of understanding.

And the deodexed version is only intended for those that plan to use xposed or themes. If you do not plan on doing either use the regular rom.

Reactions: torr310 and jdrch

Dudash

Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati
Any way to flash without losing data?

Use FF's backup function to backup then restore your data after flashing.

Although I would recommend just following the backup/restore method as it is faster and safer, you could open the ROM with Winzip/7zip, navigate through the META-INF folder until you get to the updater-script, then open it with Notepad, and remove this part of the script:

package_extract_file("wipedata.sh", "/tmp/wipedata.sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/tmp/wipedata.sh");
run_program("/tmp/wipedata.sh");

then save the file and if you used Winzip, close the program and choose "Update Zip file with changes". If you used 7zip, when you close Notepad, it will ask if you want to update the file in the archive and just choose "Okay".

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Thanks for the link, but I still have the same problem with it that I had on the OD5 thread: Checksum mismatch. I tried 3 different mirrors. Either it's a bad file or a bad checksum.

It works fine for me. Search xda for a different version.

It works fine for me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrtid54

aurfawce

Sep 9, 2007
I left the links to the FF thread for reference as it contains good discussion re: FF's progress.

As for the bootloader instructions, I will add the steps to the instructions. I mistakenly assumed most people already had that level of understanding.

And the deodexed version is only intended for those that plan to use xposed or themes. If you do not plan on doing either use the regular rom.

I noticed you mentioned if you already are on OC4 then you do not need to boot into Download mode, if I wanted to upgrade the bootloader to OD5 could I boot into download anyways and upgrade to OD5 (kill 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing?)

Reactions: WSumrell

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

Downloads:
    - G900V_PF4_Stock_ROM.zip (For "Locked" Bootloaders - Unrooted)
    - G900V_PF4_Stock_Deodexed_Debloated_ROM.zip (For "Locked" Bootloaders - Unrooted)

- G900V_PF4_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip (For "Unlocked" Bootloaders Only!)
    - G900V_PF4_Stock_Deodexed_Debloated_Rooted_ROM.zip (For "Unlocked" Bootloaders Only!)

Instructions for "Locked" Bootloaders:
    1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to "Download."
    6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the **flash.
    7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the G900V_PF4_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.
    **The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition.

Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the Verizon splash screen for 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for deodexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Instructions for "Unlocked" Bootloaders: (Your Knox Warranty Bit will be tripped!)
    1. Use the following guide however the above ROM's for "Unlocked" Bootloaders are pre-"system rooted," therefore there is no need to flash the SuperSu .zip file: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/development/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Notes:
    1. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Recovery, and Bootloader.
    2. Native tethering is enabled on all of the ROM's.
    3. No need to wipe prior to flashing, the ROM will automatically wipe User Data.
    4. The Debloated version has all Google, most Verizon, and all Knox apps removed.
    5. If you do not already have root access follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/root-method-og5-ok3-t3290370
    6. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2
    @muniz_ri

New OG4 update: Link

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

A little note for people, that is not a ROM. It's the official update.zip that has the "new" bootloader which prevents downgrading and cannot be rooted. Do not try to use it.

Thanks, I will work on it.
    I will make a post for those confused that still dont know how to properly update to PF4 rooted. The initial instructions for rooted arent too clear. I have asked for clarification from the source and others, and my questions have fallen on deaf ears.
    I had my brothers phone on PD1 rooted/unlocked, and by flashing the rooted version on the OP followed by stock PF4 bootloader, bricked the software. (The msg that it cant boot) and after D-king around for 4 hrs, i finally got it.

Anyways here is the steps i did ( i dont own steps, just trying to copy paste info to paint a clear picture)

Had to flash the PB1 full tar on ODIN
    Then i had to root the PB1 as mentioned here. http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/root-method-og5-ok3-t3290370
    After root i had to unlock bootloader. http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/development/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909
    I used Method 2: Unlocker via Safestrap Samsung_Bootloader_Unlocker.zip in safestrap or flashfire
    After this i verified i was on PB1 rooted and unlocked.

From there i went to Flashfire and flashed G900V_PF4_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip (For "Unlocked" Bootloaders Only!) as posted on the OP
    This placed me on PF4 ROM and firmware, but with a PB1 unlocked bootloader. (This is where the back button, recents and wifi dont work)
    I then flashed TWRP 3.0.0 via ODIN
    From there i followed the "If You Already Have Bootloader Unlocked And On A Samsung TW Rom" found here http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/development/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909
    In case instructions changed, like it has on the past, they are:
    In TWRP Flash TWRP_Prepare.zip
    Reboot to Download Mode
    In Odin Under AP slot load PB1_Firmware_Only_NK2_Kernel.tar.md5
    Now in Odin Under PIT load S5_KLTE_USA_VZW.pit If you have a 32gb phone instead of 16gb phone skip this step
    Click Start
    When finished on reboot watch for Safestrap Splash Screen and enter Safestrap
    Now goto Power Menu/Reboot Menu and reboot to Download Mode
    Make sure in download mode the current binary is Official. If it is not reflash In Odin Under AP slot load PB1_Firmware_Only_NK2_Kernel.tar.md5
    Now in Odin Under PIT load S5_KLTE_USA_VZW.pit
    Click Start on reboot enter Safestrap reboot back to download mode and make sure binary status is Official
    If Binary Status is Official Pull battery restart and enter SafeStrap
    Flash: SafeStrap_PF4_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip
    Phone will Power Off.
    Pull Battery enter download. Flash via ODIN TWRP 3.0.0 as the previous flash will install 3.2 which doesnt see the SD card.

There u go, thats it, this will have you on a rooted/unlocked PF4.
    Any way to flash without losing data?

Use FF's backup function to backup then restore your data after flashing.