FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOLS][ZIPS][SCRIPTS] osm0sis' Odds and Ends [Multiple Devices/Platforms]

13,801 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,581

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 18th April 2013, 01:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th November 2019, 06:05 AM |#2531  
Thanks Meter: 764

More
@osm0sis
I've been meaning to ask for a few weeks now.
Definitely not nitpicking but a request if possible.
Seems good old fashion zip is gone in SDK29.
Might be a question/request for busybox team but, could you include a zip binary in your busybox builds?
The Following User Says Thank You to ipdev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ipdev Ad-Free
16th November 2019, 06:18 AM |#2532  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,391

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

@osm0sis
Might be a question/request for busybox team but, could you include a zip binary in your busybox builds?

Hmm. You're right. unzip is still there, but zip is missing

Setenforce and getenforce are also missing, but you can recreate those by creating a symlink to toybox. The applets still exist, just the symlinks are missing.

Edit: while on the subject of compression utilities I noticed that xz (which is a busybox applet) is decompress only?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
16th November 2019, 06:34 AM |#2533  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Your point? "Missing" is a pretty strong word to use about something built from a fully customizable configuration, and arguably most of those are totally useless on Android. Is there some specific applet you have a use for which you would like included, or are you just nitpicking?

I'm sorry if my post upset you. I didn't mean anything critical by it, nor was I asking you to add anything. I was just confused about the status of these applets and I wanted to know more.

I really appreciate your busybox port as well as all the other projects you've done.
16th November 2019, 04:04 PM |#2534  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

@osm0sis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Hmm. You're right. unzip is still there, but zip is missing

Setenforce and getenforce are also missing, but you can recreate those by creating a symlink to toybox. The applets still exist, just the symlinks are missing.

Edit: while on the subject of compression utilities I noticed that xz (which is a busybox applet) is decompress only?

Busybox has never contained zip (only unzip) and the xz applet has always been decompress only. That's why I include full builds of xz from official source in AIK, and made my ZipSigner, Zip + ZipAlign Installer/Module.

My busybox also never had get/setenforce utilities since I haven't built with SELinux enabled (it's on my to-do to look into but I'm still of two minds about it since the system toybox utilities should be able to do a better job).

Here's the latest official document on what should be included/linked in each Android version, looks like get/setenforce should still be present in system (they are on my OP6T on Android 10): https://chromium.googlesource.com/ao...and_utilities/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnBeyondBeing

I'm sorry if my post upset you. I didn't mean anything critical by it, nor was I asking you to add anything. I was just confused about the status of these applets and I wanted to know more.

I really appreciate your busybox port as well as all the other projects you've done.

My config has always been based on the old (previous patchset maintainer) Tias Guns' "Stericson-like" config, and has since been updated with each new version of busybox to add new sensible default applets but also avoid pointless applets that would just bloat the binary.

So if I had to guess, the ones you list were either not included in the old config or skipped during the many bring-ups for the latter reason.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2019, 08:16 PM |#2535  
Thanks Meter: 86

More
Quote:

Now see, that was actually useful. Please try to provide better information in the future. If you had said that at the beginning it would have wasted much less of all of our time (yours included).

So, all that output means is that whatever zip you tried to flash with it failed to flash. My script worked fine and reported that to you.

P.S. For future reference, the recovery.log you uploaded was from the current recovery session you took it from, not the OTA session, which is why it's basically empty.

I had written in my first two posts that in TWRP your script breaks off with exit code 127. I must have expressed myself incomprehensibly. I didn't want to say that your script is to blame, I just wanted to know what can go wrong and what I can try to make it work. After some tries I found the error now. The zip-file I wanted to install I had to sign first, now everything works as it should. Thanks for your script.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humaxxx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Humaxxx Ad-Free
16th November 2019, 11:17 PM |#2536  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,031

More
Quote:

Here's the latest official document on what should be included/linked in each Android version, looks like get/setenforce should still be present in system (they are on my OP6T on Android 10): https://chromium.googlesource.com/ao...and_utilities/

My config has always been based on the old (previous patchset maintainer) Tias Gunn's "Stericson-like" config, and has since been updated with each new version of busybox to add new sensible default applets but also avoid pointless applets that would just bloat the binary.

Totally out of curiosity only, is there any kind of official/agreed list of what "should" be included in busybox implementations? I noticed you included one for the standard utilities for stock android.
16th November 2019, 11:26 PM |#2537  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

Totally out of curiosity only, is there any kind of official/agreed list of what "should" be included in busybox implementations? I noticed you included one for the standard utilities for stock android.

Not really. Stericson kept his config and patches private (which is ridiculous and violates GPL), but Tias tried to roughly replicate it with the open source patches he could gather, and I've followed that plus expanded to the new useful applets being added plus fixed more applets that Stericson left broken like wget, etc.

I've kept the old original configs available for reference on my repo: https://github.com/osm0sis/android-b...ter/old_config

Then I just currently maintain configs for NDK with and without patches, and Unified and Deprecated headers. Any time someone asks me to include something I look into it and generally have been able to do so, so I think we have a pretty good full config right now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2019, 07:30 PM |#2538  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
My bank seems to detect busybox whenever I install it, is there anything I can do other than uninstalling the busybox? It does work when I uninstall it but I'd like to use busybox.
18th November 2019, 09:45 PM |#2539  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfood

My bank seems to detect busybox whenever I install it, is there anything I can do other than uninstalling the busybox? It does work when I uninstall it but I'd like to use busybox.

If you're just using it on the command line, you could try deleting all the symlinks and renaming it from busybox to bbox bb or box in the Magisk module then reboot. Then you can just call it manually by that name whenever you need it.

Alternately, just keep the busybox binary itself in /data/local/tmp and call it with full path.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2019, 01:51 PM |#2540  
Thanks Meter: 316

More
Can someone help me out please with trying to uninstall Busybox from the system and use the Magisk module version instead

As you see from the screenshot attached I can't remove it as the system cannot be set to RW, I've even tried setting system to RW in Root Explorer and then running the uninstall option from the Busybox app but all it removes is the applets

I'm running a Mi Mix 3 with Arrow OS GSI Pie Rom and Magisk v20.2 with Preserve AVB2.0/dm_verity option turned off

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_BusyBox_20191121-124508.png
Views:	252
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	4882937  
21st November 2019, 01:56 PM |#2541  
Thanks Meter: 3,457

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy2021

Can someone help me out please with trying to uninstall Busybox from the system and use the Magisk module version instead

As you see from the screenshot attached I can't remove it as the system cannot be set to RW, I've even tried setting system to RW in Root Explorer and then running the uninstall option from the Busybox app but all it removes is the applets

I'm running a Mi Mix 3 with Arrow OS GSI Pie Rom and Magisk v20.2 with Preserve AVB2.0/dm_verity option turned off

Thanks in advance

Flash my zip, it will install Busybox magisk module and remove busybox system

https://mega.nz/#!m9cDAAaL!g01g6JLtT...g0zcAGava85hjc
The Following User Says Thank You to edzamber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift edzamber Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
automation, batch, flashable zip, script, tool

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)