[NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]

Search This thread

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK
[NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pics]

In a stituation where you are semi bricked or you need to restore your phone to stock on a locked bootloader for warranty reasons, what do you do?

You can flash an FTF in flash tool to restore your phone to stock without losing your data, but downloading from the firmware links can be a pain in the neck with slow downloads and also the firmware to restore your phone to stock may not even be available for your particular device due to branding, country, carrier etc.

You can flash using SUS (Sony Update service) and it will be much quicker plus your firmware will always be available but you will end up losing your data

After reading online i found you can download the official firmware for your specific device using SUS, package it into an FTF then flash through flashtool. And you can keep your data.

Most users may not know how to fully do this and your average noob is probably already lost and confused.
So i created this noobs guide with all you need to know

Stage 1 = Installation
Stage 2 = Getting files to create an FTF
Stage 3 = Creating FTF
Stage 4 = Flashing FTF

PLEASE FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO AVOID DATA LOSS

Tools required:
1. Flashtool . Latest version can be found here
2. Sony Update Service Direct link to download is here
3. JRE may be required if Sony Update Service doesn't install it for you, can be found here

4. LOCKED BOOTLOADER is required otherwise sony update service will reject your phone.

Currently there is no way to relock bootloader, if you are unlocked you will need to wait till we have a relock procedure

Stage 1 - Installation

Step 1. Install Flashtool using the installer file downloaded above, this should normally install in C:\Flashtool

Step 2. Install Sony Update Service, IT is better if you install it to the directory C:\Sony Update Service\
when it asks you where to install, This will make things easier and quicker when creating the FTF. and this is what i will refer to in this guide

*Step 3. Install JRE ONLY if Sony Update Service fails to install it or it does not run.

Stage 2 - Getting files to create an FTF

Step 1. Load up Sony Update Service, will ask you to accept license whenever you run it with some tips before you start, CLICK START

susf.jpg

Step 2. Next it will ask you to connect your phone, Switch off your phone, Keep hold of volume down and plug your usb into the phone. Your phone LED will briefly flash Red then Green
sus2f.jpg

Step 3. SUS will tell you, you are already up to date, Tick the box and Click install

sus3.jpg

Step 4. SUS will ask you to confirm data removal, and inform you all DATA will be lost, CLICK YES
NOTE: You will not lose your data if you click yes and then follow the rest of the instructions,

Step 5. SUS will start to download the official firmware for your device, it will not install anything to your device till it has finished downloading all the firmware,

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON IT AS SOON AS IT HITS 100%, PULL YOUR USB OUT OF YOUR PC ASAP, RAPID, QUICK, FAST WHATEVER OTHERWISE YOU WILL END UP FLASHING FACTORY FIRMWARE AND LOSE DATA

ftfx.jpg

If you pull it out before 100% the download will stop and you will have to follow steps 1 to 5 again, it will resume from where it left off.

ftf2.jpg

At this point i pulled my USB OUT STRAIGHT AWAY ! BEFORE IT TRIED FLASHING MY PHONE

Your Download will be saved in your C Drive > Sony Update Service > DB > some numbers (mine was 13740270) > blob_fs
But at this point it is not in FTF and will need decrypting

sus4.jpg

Stage 3 - CREATING YOUR FTF

Step 1. Load up flash tool. Once it has opened, click Tools on the menu bar at the top THEN SUES/DECRYPT

Step 2. Click Browse and select your blob_fs folder we discussed above C: > Sony Update Service > DB> ####some number#### > blob_fs
This will show you 4 files, not sure if some might show more or less, but generally 4 on the left in Available files

flashtool.jpg

Step 3. Click on each file then the arrow to send it to files to convert then click convert, Note if it is not doing anything be patient, Decrypting can take several minutes and it will not update you until each file is fully decrypted.

flashtool2.jpg

Step 4. Once it has decrypted, it will automatically bring up the Bundler. Give your FTF a name, Version and Branding, see how i named mine.
Move across everything EXCEPT LOADER.SIN from the folder list on the left to the firmware content on the right using the arrows.

flashtool3.jpg

If you include loader.sin then you get an error when flashing with flashtool and flashing aborts! this is why i have requested you do not move/include it

Step 5. Click create, a little box will pop up with devices, just double click on C660X SONY Xperia Z or press ENTER

flashtool35.jpg

Step 6. Flash tool will then create your FTF, It will automatically save it in C:\Flashtool\Firmwares and also whenever you load flashtool and flash in flashmode it will show you the one you created.
flashtool4.jpg

flashtool5.jpg

Stage 4 - FLASHING

Step 1. Load Flash tool if you haven't already done so and click the black lightning icon. Then make sure flash mode is checked and click ok.

flashingc.jpg

Step 2. Click your firmware, this should show up by default, if it doesn't then browse to your firmware folder by clicking browse at the top

flashing2i.jpg

Step 3. UNTICK DATA & CACHE under wipe if you would like to keep your data
otherwise leave it ticked if you want to restore everything to stock and lose data as well

Step 4. Click Flash and then Flashtool will ask you to connect your phone in flashmode
Power off your phone if it is not already off, Hold Volume down button and then plug your USB in

flashing3.jpg

Step 5.Wait for it to flash then disconnect your phone and boot, Note: keep hold of power button till it vibrates once then it should boot up.

flashing4.jpg

I just recovered from a semi brick/bootloop while testing Krabappels recovery for locked bootloaders.
Successfully downloaded from Sony Update Service within 20 minutes, created the FTF and then flashed the phone without losing my data. Firmware links on the forum were showing 1 hour or more to download
Phone is back to normal and working with all my data and settings still there.

Don't forget to click thanks if this helped

As this is my first Xperia device i have worked on. (X10 was always stock) Credits go to: Androxyde, Bin4ry, Krabappel2458, DooMLoRD for all they have done and are doing!

Last edited:

fesar

Mar 31, 2005
Chennai
How to download for unlokced Bootloader

Hi,

I tried your method for SUS to download my correct firmware. But I got an error saying you can use SUS as you are using a modified system. How do I proceed to get the correct firmware to relock and restore to stock

Francis.

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK
Re: [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pic

yes sorry I forgot to mention you will need to relock before you can. Sorry I forgot about that. I'll update post 1.

There is no way to relock yet. You will need to wait till a relock procedure is found below you can run this

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Last edited:

morgan_82

Feb 16, 2013
Ellesmere Port, UK
Re: [NOOBS GUIDE] Create your own stock firmware FTF & Flashtool flashing guide[+ pic

You can relock bootloader using latest version of flashtool.

I have tested that it works, by relocking and unlocking a few times.

It may say rooting status: unknown after relocking, but that may just be me as I relocked on the older version of flashtool . Not seen anyone else say there's say unknown after using flashtool to relock.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ajay83

Nov 6, 2010
N/A
Worked 100%, although when I disconnected cable at download completed, my phone wouldn't start. Kept getting sony logo and red light. Ended up going through the whole update process to get the phone on.

All good though now and have the FTF file to use incase anything happens in the future =)

Thanks VIPER. Your guide helped me on the Sensation and has helped again over here!!!

Last edited:

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK

Worked 100%, although when I disconnected cable at download completed, my phone wouldn't start. Kept getting sony logo and red light. Ended up going through the whole update process to get the phone on.

All good though now and have the FTF file to use incase anything happens in the future =)

Thanks VIPER. Your guide helped me on the Sensation and has helped again over here!!!

Thanks I'll update post one regarding the red light. It's handy having that FTF. It's from a trusted source, you know it is for your phone without a doubt as Sony would not use the wrong firmware. Lol otherwise everyone would use it to debrand.
And it didn't take forever to download. Hopefully I'm going to be more active in the Z forum. Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: gappank

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster

Hey Viper, sorry for the n00b question but this is my first Sony phone. I have a three locked handset if I follow your guide above this will make a backup of my firmware incase of warranty purpose, right? Then I can flash an unbranded firmware to remove three branded stuff yes?

As I said sorry for n00b questions lol :p

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

gm007

May 29, 2011

Hey Viper, sorry for the n00b question but this is my first Sony phone. I have a three locked handset if I follow your guide above this will make a backup of my firmware incase of warranty purpose, right? Then I can flash an unbranded firmware to remove three branded stuff yes?

Yes ;)

Sent from my C6602 using xda premium

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK

Just to clarify further. It would be three firmware. Three would be pised off if sony unbranded everyone lol. They have carrier agreements. So your ftf would be three branded

maverick1103

Jun 16, 2011
Kidderminster

Just to clarify further. It would be three firmware. Three would be pised off if sony unbranded everyone lol. They have carrier agreements. So your ftf would be three branded

Well the backed up firmware would be three branded, but I can still then flash an unbranded firmware right?

baskient80

Mar 23, 2005
Enschede
Great Tutorial

This really helped, my flash just finished (was stuck at sony logo). Now rebooting.

you're my hero!

kind regards,

boris slaghuis

dcoloane

Jul 18, 2006
Macau
Just one question, can I skip the kernal in the FTF? or the kernal is a must item for the FTF?

million thanks, now I have the most updated FTF for backup in case there are issues. But just to let all knowing that even unplug the phone when the downloading is completed, I have to flash the phone (just can't boot up normally).

shadstheman90

Nov 1, 2010
Aberdeen

Asome I managed to do this, but after I did it when I pulled out USB when at 100% , tried to boot phone ended up in boot loop !!!!???? So had to put in fresh install,could not even get cwm to boot but I had back up made any one else have this prob ??

Sent from my LT18i using XDA Premium HD app

S

shadowboy23

Thank you very much Viper!!! I manage to de-brand my XZ. because of your method Thank you once again!

Bender303

Feb 18, 2012
Thank you for the guide!

I do have a question, if i get an update in SUS like .434 most recently and update my phone and extract the .ftf file from that.
Will that work aswell or is there something diffrent with the fulll "factory data reset flash"?

I did a ftf from the update and then compared filesize from NL ftf and it differs in filesize, NL generic is 720MB and my Nordic unbranded ftf is 712MB.

arvin2212

Jan 30, 2009
I followed everything and had no problems until the flashing part.

Once my phone is detected as being in fast boot mode, nothing really happens. After awhile, the USB disconnect sound is heard from my computer and the red led light could be seen on my phone, and awhile later, the Sony logo appears and the phone boots up. Nothing was wiped. What could be the culprit? (I am trying to wipe the data and everything else). Just got the phone today.

LOG:

15/044/2013 21:44:27 - INFO - <- This level is successfully initialized
15/044/2013 21:44:27 - INFO - Flashtool Version 0.9.10.2beta5 built on 2013-04-13 22:50:00
15/044/2013 21:44:31 - INFO - Device disconnected
15/044/2013 21:44:38 - INFO - Selected C6603 / 4something (Latest) / Unbranded
15/044/2013 21:44:38 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
15/044/2013 21:44:50 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
15/045/2013 21:45:36 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
15/046/2013 21:46:33 - INFO - Device disconnected
15/046/2013 21:46:47 - INFO - Device connected with USB debugging off
15/046/2013 21:46:47 - INFO - For 2011 devices line, be sure you are not in MTP mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In a stituation where you are semi bricked or you need to restore your phone to stock on a locked bootloader for warranty reasons, what do you do?

You can flash an FTF in flash tool to restore your phone to stock without losing your data, but downloading from the firmware links can be a pain in the neck with slow downloads and also the firmware to restore your phone to stock may not even be available for your particular device due to branding, country, carrier etc.

You can flash using SUS (Sony Update service) and it will be much quicker plus your firmware will always be available but you will end up losing your data

After reading online i found you can download the official firmware for your specific device using SUS, package it into an FTF then flash through flashtool. And you can keep your data.

Most users may not know how to fully do this and your average noob is probably already lost and confused.
    So i created this noobs guide with all you need to know

Stage 1 = Installation
    Stage 2 = Getting files to create an FTF
    Stage 3 = Creating FTF
    Stage 4 = Flashing FTF

PLEASE FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO AVOID DATA LOSS

Tools required:
    1. Flashtool . Latest version can be found here
    2. Sony Update Service Direct link to download is here
    3. JRE may be required if Sony Update Service doesn't install it for you, can be found here

4. LOCKED BOOTLOADER is required otherwise sony update service will reject your phone.

Currently there is no way to relock bootloader, if you are unlocked you will need to wait till we have a relock procedure

Stage 1 - Installation

Step 1. Install Flashtool using the installer file downloaded above, this should normally install in C:\Flashtool

Step 2. Install Sony Update Service, IT is better if you install it to the directory C:\Sony Update Service\
    when it asks you where to install, This will make things easier and quicker when creating the FTF. and this is what i will refer to in this guide

*Step 3. Install JRE ONLY if Sony Update Service fails to install it or it does not run.

Stage 2 - Getting files to create an FTF

Step 1. Load up Sony Update Service, will ask you to accept license whenever you run it with some tips before you start, CLICK START

susf.jpg

Step 2. Next it will ask you to connect your phone, Switch off your phone, Keep hold of volume down and plug your usb into the phone. Your phone LED will briefly flash Red then Green
    sus2f.jpg

Step 3. SUS will tell you, you are already up to date, Tick the box and Click install

sus3.jpg

Step 4. SUS will ask you to confirm data removal, and inform you all DATA will be lost, CLICK YES
    NOTE: You will not lose your data if you click yes and then follow the rest of the instructions,

Step 5. SUS will start to download the official firmware for your device, it will not install anything to your device till it has finished downloading all the firmware,

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON IT AS SOON AS IT HITS 100%, PULL YOUR USB OUT OF YOUR PC ASAP, RAPID, QUICK, FAST WHATEVER OTHERWISE YOU WILL END UP FLASHING FACTORY FIRMWARE AND LOSE DATA

ftfx.jpg

If you pull it out before 100% the download will stop and you will have to follow steps 1 to 5 again, it will resume from where it left off.

ftf2.jpg

At this point i pulled my USB OUT STRAIGHT AWAY ! BEFORE IT TRIED FLASHING MY PHONE

Your Download will be saved in your C Drive > Sony Update Service > DB > some numbers (mine was 13740270) > blob_fs
    But at this point it is not in FTF and will need decrypting

sus4.jpg

Stage 3 - CREATING YOUR FTF

Step 1. Load up flash tool. Once it has opened, click Tools on the menu bar at the top THEN SUES/DECRYPT

Step 2. Click Browse and select your blob_fs folder we discussed above C: > Sony Update Service > DB> ####some number#### > blob_fs
    This will show you 4 files, not sure if some might show more or less, but generally 4 on the left in Available files

flashtool.jpg

Step 3. Click on each file then the arrow to send it to files to convert then click convert, Note if it is not doing anything be patient, Decrypting can take several minutes and it will not update you until each file is fully decrypted.

flashtool2.jpg

Step 4. Once it has decrypted, it will automatically bring up the Bundler. Give your FTF a name, Version and Branding, see how i named mine.
    Move across everything EXCEPT LOADER.SIN from the folder list on the left to the firmware content on the right using the arrows.

flashtool3.jpg

If you include loader.sin then you get an error when flashing with flashtool and flashing aborts! this is why i have requested you do not move/include it

Step 5. Click create, a little box will pop up with devices, just double click on C660X SONY Xperia Z or press ENTER

flashtool35.jpg

Step 6. Flash tool will then create your FTF, It will automatically save it in C:\Flashtool\Firmwares and also whenever you load flashtool and flash in flashmode it will show you the one you created.
    flashtool4.jpg

flashtool5.jpg

Stage 4 - FLASHING

Step 1. Load Flash tool if you haven't already done so and click the black lightning icon. Then make sure flash mode is checked and click ok.

flashingc.jpg

Step 2. Click your firmware, this should show up by default, if it doesn't then browse to your firmware folder by clicking browse at the top

flashing2i.jpg

Step 3. UNTICK DATA & CACHE under wipe if you would like to keep your data
    otherwise leave it ticked if you want to restore everything to stock and lose data as well

Step 4. Click Flash and then Flashtool will ask you to connect your phone in flashmode
    Power off your phone if it is not already off, Hold Volume down button and then plug your USB in

flashing3.jpg

Step 5.Wait for it to flash then disconnect your phone and boot, Note: keep hold of power button till it vibrates once then it should boot up.

flashing4.jpg

I just recovered from a semi brick/bootloop while testing Krabappels recovery for locked bootloaders.
    Successfully downloaded from Sony Update Service within 20 minutes, created the FTF and then flashed the phone without losing my data. Firmware links on the forum were showing 1 hour or more to download
    Phone is back to normal and working with all my data and settings still there.

Don't forget to click thanks if this helped

As this is my first Xperia device i have worked on. (X10 was always stock) Credits go to: Androxyde, Bin4ry, Krabappel2458, DooMLoRD for all they have done and are doing!
    CAUTION! This guide is outdated/wrong:
    • It contains an old download link for Flashtool.
    • It uses Sony Update Service: risk of losing all your personal data!
    • It tells you to exclude the wrong file in Flashtool, causing incomplete FTF files.
    • It doesn't tell how to correctly specify the branding.
    I already mentioned this nearly four weeks ago, but it doesn't get updated.

Therefore I decided to write a better guide which uses Sony PC Companion to download the firmware (much safer) and which contains the right information:

[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Please use this guide, or you will be creating incomplete/bad FTF files and possibly losing all your personal data.
    Hi thank you for your wonderful tutorial, I tried today to make a backup of my current firmware as you described in your tutorial. All was ok but there was a problem when the decryption is finished. After selected all the file (without loder.sin) and moved to the right window to create my backup then i found that i cant give any device name!!! it's locked. I can give verision and Branding name but can't give the device name. if i click on Create button it says that "version, Branding And Device Name all should be filled" but i can't give the device name. What's wrong????

My OS is Windows 7 64bit, Flash Tool Version 0.9.16.0

Thank You

upload foto

double click it. a popup with device name will come out
    Hi thank you for your wonderful tutorial, I tried today to make a backup of my current firmware as you described in your tutorial. All was ok but there was a problem when the decryption is finished. After selected all the file (without loder.sin) and moved to the right window to create my backup then i found that i cant give any device name!!! it's locked. I can give verision and Branding name but can't give the device name. if i click on Create button it says that "version, Branding And Device Name all should be filled" but i can't give the device name. What's wrong????

My OS is Windows 7 64bit, Flash Tool Version 0.9.16.0

Thank You

upload foto
    Reserved for future use