[TUTORIAL] How To Unlock Nand Protection ~ Part-2 [Gaining RW Access/Full Root]

Search This thread

frankenstein\

Jun 5, 2010
so does this mean we can install the OTA update from sprint after doing all this rooting?

a bit off topic but... I wouldn't install any updates from sprint / htc after rooting. Wait for the devs here to release a rom with the updates integrated to be sure you can maintain your root.

Flipz has released the default ROM as released by sprint with the OTA update that is rooted here. Install this rom to get the update with the default sprint / htc config down the wire and maintain root. Most all of the other roms posted here are based on the latest OTA release as well so any of them like OMJ's or Flipz fresh release, etc... have the update incorporated already as well.

Here is the xda wiki with currently released ROMS and links to them. These will all maintain your root access.

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...C Evo ROMs

frank

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
No you would want a custom rom that incorporates the OTA SD fix, performing the OTA would nullify your root.

awesome thanks

a few more questions please

1. do I have to do all that adb shell stuff....can't I just drag and drop the files over to my SD card? Thanks

2. Say if Sprint comes out with a 2.2 froyo with HTC Sense...can we install that and it will overwrite everything? or will we always have to get "custom roms" from now on...

3. say sprint comes out with a Froyo HTC sense upgrade that is unrootable ....will that mean we will have to keep our root ..and then wait for someone to make a custom Froyo rom with Sense and then install that? Thanks

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
a bit off topic but... I wouldn't install any updates from sprint / htc after rooting. Wait for the devs here to release a rom with the updates integrated to be sure you can maintain your root.

Flipz has released the default ROM as released by sprint with the OTA update that is rooted here. Install this rom to get the update with the default sprint / htc config down the wire and maintain root. Most all of the other roms posted here are based on the latest OTA release as well so any of them like OMJ's or Flipz fresh release, etc... have the update incorporated already as well.

Here is the xda wiki with currently released ROMS and links to them. These will all maintain your root access.

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...C Evo ROMs

frank

Thanks...

Now with all these roms such as the Flipz one....do those incorporate this step #2 for full root access...meaning they will work once we have completed this step?

Now that we have 2 different roots (step 1 and step 2)....do these new ROM makers specify which steps of the root it will work on? root 1 or root 2?

Or will all ROMS that work on Root 1 automatically work with Root 2? Thanks

PS: the link doesn't work

frankenstein\

Jun 5, 2010
awesome thanks

a few more questions please

1. do I have to do all that adb shell stuff....can't I just drag and drop the files over to my SD card? Thanks

2. Say if Sprint comes out with a 2.2 froyo with HTC Sense...can we install that and it will overwrite everything? or will we always have to get "custom roms" from now on...

3. say sprint comes out with a Froyo HTC sense upgrade that is unrootable ....will that mean we will have to keep our root ..and then wait for someone to make a custom Froyo rom with Sense and then install that? Thanks

1. you can drag and drop the files over to your SD Card via windows/mac but you will have to switch from HD mode to charge only mode in order to apply them. The only commands you can leave out if you do this are those that "push" the files to the SD card... like "adb push file_name /sdcard/file_name". The rest of the adb commands will need to be executed as you see them in the instructions.

Note: if you forget to change from HD mode to charge mode you will get errors with the other commands indicating the files your trying to copy don't exist, etc... You will likely have to mount the fs in adb before trying to copy the files as well. just do

- adb shell
- mount -a

and all you need will be mounted. Then you can run the other commands as listed.

2. No don't install a release directly from htc / sprint, wait for the developers here to release it once they have rooted it. It's more likely that the devs here will release a stable froyo build before HTC does anyway but it likely won't be based on Sense. At lease not initially. If you want Sense, wait for the devs here to root it, then get it from here, not from sprint/htc.

3. Yes. if you want to maintain root you will need to wait for one developed here or on one of the other boards. If you want sense, you'll likely have to wait for one of the devs to create a rooted version of the HTC release.

frank.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
1. you can drag and drop the files over to your SD Card via windows/mac but you will have to switch from HD mode to charge only mode in order to apply them. The only commands you can leave out if you do this are those that "push" the files to the SD card... like "adb push file_name /sdcard/file_name". The rest of the adb commands will need to be executed as you see them in the instructions.

Note: if you forget to change from HD mode to charge mode you will get errors with the other commands indicating the files your trying to copy don't exist, etc... You will likely have to mount the fs in adb before trying to copy the files as well. just do

- adb shell
- mount -a

and all you need will be mounted. Then you can run the other commands as listed.

2. No don't install a release directly from htc / sprint, wait for the developers here to release it once they have rooted it. It's more likely that the devs here will release a stable froyo build before HTC does anyway but it likely won't be based on Sense. At lease not initially. If you want Sense, wait for the devs here to root it, then get it from here, not from sprint/htc.

3. Yes. if you want to maintain root you will need to wait for one developed here or on one of the other boards. If you want sense, you'll likely have to wait for one of the devs to create a rooted version of the HTC release.

frank.

1. So..even if I do drag and drop..I will still have to run the shell commands? but just leave out the push commands? So there is no getting out of using adb shell?

2. If i did install the Official Sprint 2.2 Froyo with Sense and i did want to sort of "wipe" my phone to original factory settings (just as a regular consumer), then can I go ahead and do this without messing up my phone?

or do I have to permanently avoid Sprint updates even if i want to install them knowing they will overwrite my root?

thanks so much!

frankenstein\

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks...

Now with all these roms such as the Flipz one....do those incorporate this step #2 for full root access...meaning they will work once we have completed this step?

Now that we have 2 different roots (step 1 and step 2)....do these new ROM makers specify which steps of the root it will work on? root 1 or root 2?

Or will all ROMS that work on Root 1 automatically work with Root 2? Thanks

PS: the link doesn't work

These aren't different root methodss, they are two parts of the same root. You must do part 1 before you do part 2.

Part 1 gives you a rooted ROM version but leaves parts of the system still locked such that you can only write to them in recovery mode. You will actually apply one of the rooted ROMS at the end of this part of the process. Check them out and pick the one you like.

Part 2 unlocks the bits that remain locked after part 1 is completed. The first step here is to run a nandriod backup of the rooted rom you applied after Part 1, the last step is to restore it.

Although I suppose you could do part 1 and then jump right to part 2, then apply the rooted ROM of your choice. If you do that you'll have to customize the process laid out to account for the fact that you haven't applied a rooted rom prior to starting part 2.

The wiki is listed in a sticky thread at the very top of the dev forum. just look for it there.

frankenstein\

Jun 5, 2010
1. So..even if I do drag and drop..I will still have to run the shell commands? but just leave out the push commands? So there is no getting out of using adb shell?

2. If i did install the Official Sprint 2.2 Froyo with Sense and i did want to sort of "wipe" my phone to original factory settings (just as a regular consumer), then can I go ahead and do this without messing up my phone?

or do I have to permanently avoid Sprint updates even if i want to install them knowing they will overwrite my root?

thanks so much!

1. Yes, you still have to execute adb shell commands to complete the process. Even if you don't do the "push" commands. It's good to know something about adb though and the commands are well documented in both parts 1 & 2 of the root process and are fairly simple. just put them in as they are laid out in the directions and you'll do fine.

2. I'd recommend you permanently avoid sprint updates although you don't have to. If your willing to give up your root access you can install the sprint update but keep in mind that doing so could permanently lock you out of the ability to customize your phone by denying you root for life.

Also, be aware that some of the roms are built to disallow the ability to install sprint updates by removing the certs necessary to validate them. If you choose one of them then you'll have to manually apply the sprint released upgrade if you want to do so.

This won't be a problem though as they will likely wind up available for dl here or on one of the other boards shortly after release in the update.zip format. The first sprint OTA was incorporated and released within a matter of a couple of days for example, both the rooted version and the stock version.

applying a stock version of the rom later will restore the certs and re-enable the ability to get sprint / htc updates. there is also a copy of the original released version here that you can dl and keep just in case you want to restore the phone to factory default.

These are listed in the wiki as well.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
These aren't different root methodss, they are two parts of the same root. You must do part 1 before you do part 2.

Part 1 gives you a rooted ROM version but leaves parts of the system still locked such that you can only write to them in recovery mode. You will actually apply one of the rooted ROMS at the end of this part of the process. Check them out and pick the one you like.

Part 2 unlocks the bits that remain locked after part 1 is completed. The first step here is to run a nandriod backup of the rooted rom you applied after Part 1, the last step is to restore it.

Although I suppose you could do part 1 and then jump right to part 2, then apply the rooted ROM of your choice. If you do that you'll have to customize the process laid out to account for the fact that you haven't applied a rooted rom prior to starting part 2.

The wiki is listed in a sticky thread at the very top of the dev forum. just look for it there.

Oh ok, thank you very much for that clarification.

I already installed the rooted ROM Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip since I was following a YouTube Video for part 1, which I am finished with.

So now I want to go on to step 2...I am stuck at this whole ADB shell stuff. Can you please explain how to actually get into adb shell? I'm a complete noob here. I had to follow a youtube video for part 1 since the instructions were beyond me

also, I wanted to go with a more customzied ROM after doing step 2...how can I do that since I already installed Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip? thanks

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
If your willing to give up your root access you can install the sprint update but keep in mind that doing so could permanently lock you out of the ability to customize your phone by denying you root for life.

What if they come out with a NEW root for the 2.2 sense version? (or is that even a possibility?)

Say for example, official 2.2 with sense came out tomorrow and sprint stores also started shipping phones with 2.2 on them already....how would a person gain ROOT at that point? Would someone have to develope a new ROOT starting from 2.2?

Couldn't I just use that same ROOT method as that person even if I decided to upgrade to an official 2.2 Sprint version when I originally rooted with a 2.1 version?

Last edited:

frankenstein\

Jun 5, 2010
wtf y wont the pc36 install ? can some1 help

make sure it's all caps; exactly like this... PC36IMG.zip on the root of the SD card.

The file should be ~170M. windows explorer lists it as 175,073 in size. if yours isn't this size you may need to dl again.

I've also seen some people say they needed to mount the sd card as a hd and copy the file to the sd using windows explorer rather than using adb push to do it.

frank

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
sorry, but this may be off topic

in the final step, toast says get and flash the latest radio, what's the latest radio version and where can i get it from

thanks

scott314

May 30, 2010
What if they come out with a NEW root for the 2.2 sense version? (or is that even a possibility?)

Say for example, official 2.2 with sense came out tomorrow and sprint stores also started shipping phones with 2.2 on them already....how would a person gain ROOT at that point?

Couldn't I just use that same ROOT method as that person even if I decided to upgrade to an official 2.2 Sprint version when I originally rooted with a 2.1 version?

Sure you could. The issue is that root is a privilege not a right.

Dev's like toast are pouring over a device looking for a flaw to exploit that allows them to gain root. The current vectors will most likely be fixed by HTC in later firmware releases, so new methods will need to be found for devices that ship with those holes patched. There is no guarantee that new attack vectors will be present in latter firmwares, let alone found and exploited.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so this PC36IMG.zip is older, version 1.15 and engineering build with eng hboot where the other 1st posted PC36IMG.zip is version 1.32 and a userdebug build so no eng hboot?
    Correct.. the file MUST be named PC36IMG.zip, because that's what the radio looks for when doing an automatic RUU flash. Otherwise we would name them differently, based on what they are :) which would make it easier to keep track of
    where do you see these version numbers, 1.15 and 1.32?
    The version number is the "Build number" and "Software number" you see in About Phone. The eng one is called 1.15.651.1, and the stock one is "1.32.651.1". The misc.img replaces 1.32 with 1.15, and that allows it to flash.
    does this give me full s-off? I tried the revolutionary method and it doesn't work because there are some bad blocks on the nand.

You won't be able to use this. This was only for Froyo 2.2 if you have bad blocks there is nothing you can do about it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app