[FIX][LEAKED 4.4]External Sdcard Mount Perms fix

Search This thread

deathnotice01

Feb 19, 2012
Cebu
Okay so I added a new method to those who want a easy flashable zip without root.

However custom recovery is required.

Method 1
1.) Download the extsdcardfix-flashable.zip below and save to sdcard
2.) Reboot to recovery (CWM/TWRP)
3.) Flash the zip
4.) Reboot

Also OP is updated

[A gorilla dies for every smartphone.
Stop using gorilla glass and save planet earth]

Rawand Kurdy

Jul 10, 2011
As Sulaymanyeah
www.rky.cu.cc
Just tested bluetooth no problems here. Stock Official firmware. I didnt use the platform.xml in the OP, I edited the one on the phone.
Take what happened as a lesson to back-up the original file in future, just in case something happens like it did.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
Hhhh , what lesson ?
Anyway maybe the xposed framework , modules caused the problem (was working fine before touching the file ), and I did a backup of course , restored the original file but didnt worked (tried alot of thing but didnt worked)
Are you using the leaked one ? Or the official one ? (Mine was Official XEO one)

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
None of these 3 fixes (Vivelafrance, TheJeremyWhite nor deathnotice01) work for me! Please help me as I'm lost and I really need my memory card!

Apps still cannot use the external SD card!
Some can use it normally (Gallery can see, modify, add, delete, etc);
Some can see it but not modify (File ExpertHD, DropSync)
Some cannot see it but can use it (Poweramp *)
Some cannot even see it...

* Poweramp can play all the songs, even though it still shows a warning: "Some storage(s) unmounted" and cannot see the ExtSD.

Reference:
Note 3 N9005 (originally Middle East)
Now Polish 4.4.2 (N9005XXUENA6_N9005OXXENA5_N9005XXUENA2_OXX)
+ root (CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar)

@ TheJeremyWhite
In the /mnt directory like so /mnt/media_rw
Set permissions to 777 or rwxrwxrwx, see screenshot

This fix does not work for me.

I followed all the instructions of post #1 + yours.
- swapped the platform file;
- set 644 permissions to it;
- set 777 permissions to the /mnt/media_rw folder.
Furthermore, the permissions to the /mnt/media_rw expire everytime I reboot and I have to go through all the hassle again. not a solution for me...

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

@ deathnotice01
Okay so I added a new method to those who want a easy flashable zip without root.
However custom recovery is required.
Method 1
3.) Flash the zip
4.) Reboot
Also OP is updated

This fix does not work for me

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

@ vivelafrance

This does not work for me.

I'm really upset. I don't understand how it is possible!
Maybe the Polish 4.4.2 cannot be flashed on every M9005?
Maybe Goggle started to implement some Apple style crap?

Please help!

Last edited:

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
Hhhh , what lesson ?
Anyway maybe the xposed framework , modules caused the problem (was working fine before touching the file ), and I did a backup of course , restored the original file but didnt worked (tried alot of thing but didnt worked)
Are you using the leaked one ? Or the official one ? (Mine was Official XEO one)
Sorry bro, I assumed you didn't back up the orig file:eek:.
Give that link that @vivelafrance posted a try, it worked for me.
I'm on the Official XEO(non leaked) rom aswell.

diddsen

May 13, 2009
ok, so i read that only poweramp have still problem...or we dont know what apps or something has same problem?!

i think thats unsure at this time to go to KK.

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
ok, so i read that only poweramp have still problem...or we dont know what apps or something has same problem?!

i think thats unsure at this time to go to KK.

Untill the app(poweramp) gets a compatability update you will have to change permissions on the media_rw folder that @TheJeremyWhite mentioned, and again after every reboot. This is assuming that the platform.xml is fixed aswell.
Edit: There are still apps that dont work after this fix!

Poweramp will still display some storage (s) unmounted but the extsd will pop up under the mnt/media_rw on the select folder menu. Check the screenshot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390047034796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390047034796.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

vivelafrance

Sep 28, 2012
United Kingdom
None of these 3 fixes (Vivelafrance, TheJeremyWhite nor deathnotice01) work for me! Please help me as I'm lost and I really need my memory card!

Apps still cannot use the external SD card!
Some can use it normally (Gallery can see, modify, add, delete, etc);
Some can see it but not modify (File ExpertHD, DropSync)
Some cannot see it but can use it (Poweramp *)
Some cannot even see it...

* Poweramp can play all the songs, even though it still shows a warning: "Some storage(s) unmounted" and cannot see the ExtSD.

Reference:
Note 3 N9005 (originally Middle East)
Now Polish 4.4.2 (N9005XXUENA6_N9005OXXENA5_N9005XXUENA2_OXX)
+ root (CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar)

@ TheJeremyWhite

This fix does not work for me.

I followed all the instructions of post #1 + yours.
- swapped the platform file;
- set 644 permissions to it;
- set 777 permissions to the /mnt/media_rw folder.
Furthermore, the permissions to the /mnt/media_rw expire everytime I reboot and I have to go through all the hassle again. not a solution for me...

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

@ deathnotice01

This fix does not work for me

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

@ vivelafrance

This does not work for me.

I'm really upset. I don't understand how it is possible!
Maybe the Polish 4.4.2 cannot be flashed on every M9005?
Maybe Goggle started to implement some Apple style crap?

Please help!
what I would sugges to do, is to do a clean install of your ROM again (reformat everything, clear all caches, factory reset etc....)
Then, DON'T replace the platform.xml file but manually change the 2 lines mentioned above and change the permissions on the file and on the media_rw folder.

When I first replaced the platform.xml file, nothing worked. I lost Wifi, BT, Solid Explorer couldn't see the content of the internal and external SDcard.... it was a mess! So I had to clean everything and try all over again.

Reactions: ascanio1

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
I'm on Echoe V13, so have root. Also have ES File Manager. When changing permissions on platform.xml I get "Job failed". Can't delete the file and can't replaced it with the downloaded platform.xml. Any suggestions?:confused:

i had to use Root Browser (ES file Explorer wouldn't work)

ES file explorer should work.
Check the screens for my settings.
@Bladerummer others have had probs replacing the platform.xml file, you might want to edit it yourself.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390058615319.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390058615319.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 446
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390058632275.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390058632275.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 451
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390058646387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390058646387.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 438
Reactions: TheJeremyWhite

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
what I would sugges to do, is to do a clean install of your ROM again (reformat everything, clear all caches, factory reset etc....)
Then, DON'T replace the platform.xml file but manually change the 2 lines mentioned above and change the permissions on the file and on the media_rw folder.
Hmmm... I tried this fix but without doing first a clean install. I have now fine a clean install + root but this today I was super busy. I'll try tomorrow to fix the 2 lines of code. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, thanks for not giving up on me! Do you think that there is a chance that some particular MPN models cannot receive 4.4.2 coded for different MPN models?
It is always the N9005 version but each region gets its own MPN model (which, BTW, I don't know exactly what these different MPN are - some say that the radios differ, some say that only the modem differs, some say only the languages and pre-installed apps...).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

vivelafrance

Sep 28, 2012
United Kingdom
Hmmm... I tried this fix but without doing first a clean install. I have now fine a clean install + root but this today I was super busy. I'll try tomorrow to fix the 2 lines of code. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, thanks for not giving up on me! Do you think that there is a chance that some particular MPN models cannot receive 4.4.2 coded for different MPN models?
It is always the N9005 version but each region gets its own MPN model (which, BTW, I don't know exactly what these different MPN are - some say that the radios differ, some say that only the modem differs, some say only the languages and pre-installed apps...).
Have you asked your questions in a Galaxy Note 3 thread? Maybe they have a solution that is more adequate to your device. As you know, this is a SGS4 thread here.
Alternatively, you can search for your device on http://www.samfirmware.com/ and see if there's the new leak for it (FNA5). This one has the Sdcard bug fixed already in it.

Last edited:

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
I apologize for posting here but when I experienced my ExtSD card problem I searched and found a solution here and I replied even if this is the wrong forum (Galaxy S4 instead of Note 3) but I also posted in the Note 3 forum but... nobody helped.

Last edited:

denski101

Jan 7, 2014

Im on a Note 3 32gb, region HK. I haven't heard of MPN models but there are some who are having troubles with just updating to 4.4.2 (polish official ROM). From memory it was 16gb HK note 3s. Anyway you could be right about there being differences between the different regions. When I updated to mj7 with a UK firmware I did get some new apps, but everything continued to function as it should. Got better signal and battery life too.

If you want I can upload my platform.xml(edited)?
Are you on a 32 gb note3?

And what app(s) did you first notice you lost the extsd, I'll see if it works on my end. I tried file expert hd, and there's an error when I tried to go the extsd from the main screen. But you (I) can reach it through sdcard/storage/extSdCard

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Have you asked your questions in a Galaxy Note 3 thread?
Yes, nobody replied.
Alternatively, you can search for your device on http://www.samfirmware.com/ and see if there's the new leak for it (FNA5). This one has the Sdcard bug fixed already in it.
I tried that fix but it did not work for me.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Today I had a bit of time and I tried exactly as described (after a clean install) but it did not work.

But, just to clarify, which is the exact path of the "platforms.xml" file?
1) root/ETC/PERMISSIONS/platforms.xml (as you describe) or
2) root/SYSTEM/ETCPERMISSIONS/platforms.xml (as the OP describes)

BTW ES File Explorer could not change the permissions. I received an error: "sorry, operation failed". I had to use "Root Browser"

I'm really at a loss! I really don't know what else to try! OMG, how can this be so impossible? I must be missing something really simple... but what? :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Thanks for helping me, denski101. I appreciate your time and vivelafrance's time and everyone else helping! Sorry for the late reply. I had a busy day as tomorrow I'm fllying to Italy from here (Japan) a 18hrs flight!

If you want I can upload my platform.xml(edited)?
Yes please. I'll try yours too. Thank you.

Are you on a 32 gb note3?
Yes

And what app(s) did you first notice you lost the extsd
File ExpertHD could not read the ExtSD, that's how I realized that I had problems. Then dropsync cannot download to the ExtSD card.

I'll see if it works on my end. I tried file expert hd, and there's an error when I tried to go the extsd from the main screen. But you (I) can reach it through sdcard/storage/extSdCard
Yes, so can I. But... that's not exactly making me happpy... I wish to use apps normally.

denski101

Jan 7, 2014

I think 1. is just a shortcut to the same directory, but NO.2 it is.

BTW ES File Explorer could not change the permissions. I received an error: "sorry, operation failed". I had to use "Root Browser"
You most probably saw my screenshots above about ES File. I would just use what works for you.
Just a side note: under settings/general/security/device administrators, untick Knox if its ticked.

[/COLOR]Thanks for helping me, denski101. I appreciate your time and vivelafrance's time and everyone else helping! Sorry for the late reply. I had a busy day as tomorrow I'm fllying to Italy from here (Japan) a 18hrs flight!
no worries man! glad to help. I know (and I'm sure you and others know) how infuriating it is to lose external SD support. Sadly this was no bug on Google's behalf.
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.4.html

File ExpertHD could not read the ExtSD, that's how I realized that I had problems. Then dropsync cannot download to the ExtSD card.

Yes, so can I. But... that's not exactly making me happpy... I wish to use apps normally.

I have a gut feeling you've already fixed it. There are going to be some apps that don't work as they should but this fix should make them work but not natively as they once did. I'll try dropsync. If you have fixed it and it still doesnt work, then you just need to wait for apps to get a KK compatibility update.
The changes to the platform.xml and the permission change on the media_rw folder have cleared up every app that I've had probs with.

Remember to Restart after you change the Platform.xml and then change the permissions on the media_rw folder once booted up. Once done these, go to your app that R/W to the extsd and choose the file directory again(look around if its not where it should be). Then Force close the app and see if its fixed.
Rename .xls to .xml on the attached Platform file.
I hope everything goes well:good:
(GS4 users this is(platform.xml) for N9005 Note 3 Snapdragon)

Attachments

• platform.xls
    7.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
@ascanio1
Dropsync wont download to the externalsd!, phone storage is fine though. So its not just you. Tried dropbox app and it works fine(bite your tongue solution)

Last edited:

vivelafrance

Sep 28, 2012
United Kingdom
Yes, nobody replied.

I tried that fix but it did not work for me.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Today I had a bit of time and I tried exactly as described (after a clean install) but it did not work.

N° 2 sorry.

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
@ Vivelafrance
Actually also the SYSTEM/ETC/PERMISSIONS/pltaforms.xml file was modified when I checked. They probably are the same file in 2 different locations and get modified together.
But still not PowerAmp and other apps still can't access the ExtSD card. :crying:

Flying off to Itlay! Will report back in 2 days...

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

@ desnki101
Again, thanks for your help! Now I'm flying off to Italy and I'm late so I'll try your fix in a couple of days and I'll get back to you with the outcome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so one of the issues currently with the leaked firmware is that some apps (e.g titanium backup, file explorers, etc) cannot save files to the extsdcard due to a incorrect parameter in the platforms.xml

So here is the fix:
    Method 1
    3.) Flash the zip
    4.) Reboot

Method 2
    1.) Download the platform.xml.zip attatchment and extract
    2.) Navigate to ~/system/etc/permissions
    3.) Replace the platforms.xml with this one
    4.) Set permissions as RW-R--R-- (644)
    5.) Reboot and test if apps now have access to external storage

And NOTE this may or may not work so do so at your own risk!
    this temporary solved my all problems.....works on both all S4 Versions i950.........

<permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="sdcard_all" />
    </permission>

or download the file and flash it via recovery
    plus set 744 permission on folder mnt/media_rw [on every reboot]
    Using root explorer manually

thx
    best regards
    For me, most apps are working now, but the solution was NOT to replace the platform.xml file with the one attached to this thread. This, on the contrary, made things worse.
    What I did, is just add a simple line to the platform.xml file:
    (the one added is the 4th line below, in bold)

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

And that's it. Now, I still have issues with Poweramp but I think that's because the path name of the ExtSdCard changed from 4.3, as they had changed it from 4.2 also.
    Other Music players are not working either because they can't find the sdcard. JetAudio Plus can find it though.
    Problem with Poweramp solved with atualization: 2.0.9.build 543: http://powerampapp.com/download/Poweramp-2.0.9-build-543-uni.apk
    Poweramp still a no go?

No it actually works doing the instructions mentioned in the link above and what TheJeremyWhite did (which is the same thing basically).
    I totally missed the part where I had to change the permissions on that folder. That FINALLY solves every single issues I had with my Ext SDCard now!