[RECOVERY][addison] Official TWRP for Moto Z Play

Search This thread

Alberto97

Recognized Developer
Feb 6, 2012
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Unlocked bootloader is required.

README:
Code:
Our device comes with forced encryption and, more important,
verity which checks at every boot if /system partition has been changed or not.
If /system has been changed, verity won't allow booting your device which means
you can't flash anything unless you disable verity.

Installation
To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img
To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Disable Verity
Oreo
  • Flash this kernel (only compatible with latest oreo build, OPNS27.76-12-22-9) through fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot-noverity.img) or TWRP (Install -> Install image -> Select Boot -> Swipe to install)
  • Verity is now disabled, you can flash Magisk or anything else
Marshmallow/Nougat
  • If you aren't going to root your device, you can use my patcher (that disables forced encryption as well) else Magisk/SuperSU will do this for you.
  • In order to definitely get rid of encryption, if you wish to, you'll have to erase userdata with fastboot

Download
https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotozplay2016.html
AndroidFileHost (old/unofficial builds)

Credits
  • @squid2 for Moto msm8916 TWRP tree which I used as base and help in building binaries for my patcher
  • @vache for SDCard fix
  • arter97 for finding F2FS bug and fix that didn't allow TWRP flashing SuperSU
  • gladiac and Chainfire for some ideas from FED-Patcher and SuperSU

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto Z Play, Tool/Utility for the Moto Z Play

Contributors
Alberto97
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2016-11-07
Last Updated 2018-12-23

Last edited:

Really_Rekt

Jan 23, 2016
Seems to work just as decribed. Thank you so much!

EDIT: SuperSU SR3 seems to have trouble with the extracting the ramdisk...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunkn.Mynes

Xecu

Jan 19, 2014
I am having trouble getting the phone to start again.
Installing the stock firmware results in an error:
"Could not find 'META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary' in the zip file.
Error installing zip file '%path_to_zip'. "

Really_Rekt

Jan 23, 2016
Possibly a corrupt download? Looks like the updater-binary file didn't get to your hard drive in one piece...

diegochiva95

Jul 3, 2014
Jalisco
Does it work root from the recovery itself without needing to flash the .zip?

in the chinese twrp this method works without problem

Really_Rekt

Jan 23, 2016
Yeah, I tried this one, seems to work just fine until you try and flash SuperSU with it. For the official releases it fails to extract ramdisk and the system-mode ones it doesn't patch dm-verity. I ended up using the Chinese one to get a rooted addison.

DroneDoom

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, I tried this one, seems to work just fine until you try and flash SuperSU with it. For the official releases it fails to extract ramdisk and the system-mode ones it doesn't patch dm-verity. I ended up using the Chinese one to get a rooted addison.
Phh superuser works with our device. Flashed that instead of using TWRP auto root.

Really_Rekt

Jan 23, 2016
If it's the same one that you flash with magisk (which it should be???) then yes. Any ideas as to what's up with SuperSU then?

EDIT: whoops. See below

Last edited:

jatinkhatri

May 11, 2011
bhuj
where is chinese recovery ...???

can anyone provide a link to Chinese TWRP recovery .... I want to flash it as this version/edition of TWRP recovery does not allow to flash supersu ( though phhs usperuser works fine but I'm not able to install Busybox and adaway with superuser )

Thanks

pillopoulos

Jan 24, 2014
Can we root the device without unlocking bootloader and without flashing twrp?

Στάλθηκε από το moto z play μου

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Unlocked bootloader is required.

README:
    Code:
    Our device comes with forced encryption and, more important,
    verity which checks at every boot if /system partition has been changed or not.
    If /system has been changed, verity won't allow booting your device which means
    you can't flash anything unless you disable verity.

Installation
    To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Disable Verity
    Oreo
    • Flash this kernel (only compatible with latest oreo build, OPNS27.76-12-22-9) through fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot-noverity.img) or TWRP (Install -> Install image -> Select Boot -> Swipe to install)
    • Verity is now disabled, you can flash Magisk or anything else
    Marshmallow/Nougat
    • If you aren't going to root your device, you can use my patcher (that disables forced encryption as well) else Magisk/SuperSU will do this for you.
    • In order to definitely get rid of encryption, if you wish to, you'll have to erase userdata with fastboot

Download
    https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotozplay2016.html
    AndroidFileHost (old/unofficial builds)

Credits
    • @squid2 for Moto msm8916 TWRP tree which I used as base and help in building binaries for my patcher
    • @vache for SDCard fix
    • arter97 for finding F2FS bug and fix that didn't allow TWRP flashing SuperSU
    • gladiac and Chainfire for some ideas from FED-Patcher and SuperSU

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Moto Z Play, Tool/Utility for the Moto Z Play

Contributors
    Alberto97
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin

Version Information

Created 2016-11-07
    Last Updated 2018-12-23
    Thanks to @vache we have working SDCard now (a new build is up). Meanwhile omni team pushed a fix for adb backup to 7.1 branch so that's another working feature!
    A new build based on the oreo kernel with improved encryption support for oreo is out. There also is a possible fix for the touchscreen issue, let me know if you still hit it.
    The first official build is out (\o/) but there isn't any difference with the latest unofficial I posted few days ago right now.

Are there any drawbacks to be expected when using it in combination with Marshmallow or Nougat?
    I can't guarantee that encryption will work on Nougat (but it should), almost certainly it will not on Marshmallow

It looks like touch screen issue is fixed ;) .... is there any way to make backup faster to adopted storage - it takes for me 772 sek , avg. speed 13 mb/sek - while to internal memory it takes 407 sek,speed 24mb/sek ? (11.3 gb of data with digest ON)
    Nothing that I can do but there is an option to skip digest generation during the backup, that will save some time but if for some reason the backup gets corrupted you will not be warned
    A new version with improved support for Nougat encryption and fixed F2FS is available, it took me a while since I had to upgrade the build environment to 7.1.1 (local manifest here if you need a minimal omni one).

Also back in december I developed a patcher that disables verity and forced encryption. You don't really need it if you root your device though as these zips already disable verity and FE.
    I wanted to thank squid2 for helping me in building proper binaries to run in recovery, gladiac and Chainfire for some ideas I took from FED-Patcher and SuperSU.