How to ROOT Galaxy Note 10.1 3G/Wifi! [N8000/N8013/N8010]

Search This thread

Mhbr549

Feb 27, 2012
Help Please?

I rooted via RootInjectionSystem.tar using Odin ,but once I tried cleaning up some of the bloat, I couldn't get titanium backup removal of bloat apps to stick. I verified root access with rootverify and had root. I thought maybe it was to to SuperSU, so I installed Superuser.apk and switched to it. I updated binaries in superuser and figured I'd reboot to make sure everything stuck. Now I'm in a bootloop. I've re-flashed with Odin multiple times with no luck. I even flashed CWM and tried wiping cache, dalvik, user data as well as formatting everything I could format, and then reflashed again with still no change. My fancy new Note Tablet GT-N8013 is a pretty expensive paperweight right now. I would really appreciate any ideas you all might have.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I rooted via RootInjectionSystem.tar using Odin ,but once I tried cleaning up some of the bloat, I couldn't get titanium backup removal of bloat apps to stick. I verified root access with rootverify and had root. I thought maybe it was to to SuperSU, so I installed Superuser.apk and switched to it. I updated binaries in superuser and figured I'd reboot to make sure everything stuck. Now I'm in a bootloop. I've re-flashed with Odin multiple times with no luck. I even flashed CWM and tried wiping cache, dalvik, user data as well as formatting everything I could format, and then reflashed again with still no change. My fancy new Note Tablet GT-N8013 is a pretty expensive paperweight right now. I would really appreciate any ideas you all might have.

After flashing CWM, exactly what did you reflash? You said RootInjectionSystem.tar? Do you mean N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar? (That's the exact file name I have).

I had the following hapen:

Flashed system.img from N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar with Heimdall 1.3.3 - Flash failed
Downgraded to Heimdall 1.3.2 due to reported issues with 1.3.3
Reflashed, flash succeeded
Things seemed fine initially, but eventually I noticed Settings was FCing if I tried to enter it
Wiped data/factory reset in stock recovery
Setup now FCs
Reflashed system.img with Heimdall 1.3.2
Setup still FCs

Testing another approach...

OK... This seems to work:

You must flash it using Odin, not Heimdall.
After flashing with Odin - Reset using STOCK recovery, not CWM

Seems to be working now...

Last edited:

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
After flashing CWM, exactly what did you reflash? You said RootInjectionSystem.tar? Do you mean N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar? (That's the exact file name I have).

Flashed system.img from N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar with Heimdall 1.3.3 - Flash failed
Things seemed fine initially, but eventually I noticed Settings was FCing if I tried to enter it
Setup now FCs
Setup still FCs

Use ODIN, Heimdall has issues in general when flashing big files like this anyways, I think the error is probably coming from Heimdall more likely, I only use Heimdall for recoveries but never system tar files.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Use ODIN, Heimdall has issues in general when flashing big files like this anyways, I think the error is probably coming from Heimdall more likely, I only use Heimdall for recoveries but never system tar files.

Yeah. I always use it for kernels, but for flashing /system it seems funky...

Not going to need /system flashing much longer though. :)

Mhbr549

Feb 27, 2012

Setup now FCs
Setup still FCs

Thanks for the response. I only use Odin for flashing (well, until I put CWM on). After flashing CWM and wiping cache, data, dalvik etc... I immediately flashed the N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar with Odin again. The dang thing just sits at the Galaxy Note 10.1 screen forever. When you try to shut it off by holding the power button, it just restarts and sits there again. It sat all night until the battery was finally drained this morning. Tried a fresh N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar flash with odin this morning and got the same results of no booting. Every flash with Odin has resulted in a PASS. I have my old GS2 and two GS3's right now, and have flashed, reflashed, tried different kernels, modems etc... more times than I can count, and have never had any issue. In the past, as long as I could get odin to recognize I've always been able to bring a device back. This is a head scratcher for me.

Last edited:

tmaurice

Dec 9, 2007
Baltimore
Ok, i did the root injection method and i am trying to mount system as r/w but it fails to mount. I am not able to write to the system file.

Same thing here. And as another user posted, also can't permanently remove bloatware via Titanium, although it says root is granted. I haven't installed CWM, just did ODIN flash of the N8013 root injected tar file. Interesting.

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD
As i said on the other post, I'll provide a system dump if someone tells me the process to make sure it gets done right. I know i can CMW > root > dd /system out, but I want to make sure that will result in what we need.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Thanks for the response. I only use Odin for flashing (well, until I put CWM on). After flashing CWM and wiping cache, data, dalvik etc... I immediately flashed the N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar with Odin again. The dang thing just sits at the Galaxy Note 10.1 screen forever. When you try to shut it off by holding the power button, it just restarts and sits there again. It sat all night until the battery was finally drained this morning. Tried a fresh N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar flash with odin this morning and got the same results of no booting. Every flash with Odin has resulted in a PASS. I have my old GS2 and two GS3's right now, and have flashed, reflashed, tried different kernels, modems etc... more times than I can count, and have never had any issue. In the past, as long as I could get odin to recognize I've always been able to bring a device back. This is a head scratcher for me.

Not sure what's going on but I think you should have just done one method, perhaps you might have installed the wrong injected tar file for your note 10.1?

The conversation with Entropy512 was unrelated to actual rooting, he needed system image for TriangleAway app but the root injected tar file works fine for rooting.

Mhbr549

Feb 27, 2012
Not sure what's going on but I think you should have just done one method, perhaps you might have installed the wrong injected tar file for your note 10.1?

The conversation with Entropy512 was unrelated to actual rooting, he needed system image for TriangleAway app but the root injected tar file works fine for rooting.

I only did one method until it bricked. I injected the N8013RootInjectedSystem.tar from the link on your website that took me here: http://stockroms.net/file/GalaxyNote10.1/rooted/N8013/StockROMs.net-GT-N8013RootInjectedSystem.zip. I only flashed CWM after the thing became unresponsive in a desperate effort to try anything to get it to boot. I think my issue was created from trying to use superuser on it while SuperSU was on there too. It refused to boot after I installed the superuser.apk from the market and tried to update it's binaries. I'm just still baffled why reflashing with Odin would not pull it out of it's non-booting state. Even before the brick though, I'm still also confused why it showed I had root, but refused to allow me to uninstall boatware with Titanium Backup or Root Uninstaller. It's like I had R/O and not R/W privileges. Oh and by the way, thanks for your attempting to help me here. You, Entropy512, and several other guys who put up with rookies like me help make our Android devices a heck of a lot more fun!

greenzkool

Aug 18, 2012
Huntersville
working fine here what app were u trying to remove?

Not sure about Tmaurice. I havent tried to remove an app yet with Titanium, but when using ES file explorer it fails to mount system as RW. i am trying to patch my email program to bypass the exchange rules and it wont let me replace the email apks with the patched apks. also i can not install busybox or update the host file with AdAway

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please goto rootgalaxynote.com for details, sorry I had to delete my content here.
    Hi... I'm folowing the steps, but can't root my device. I'm using a CWM-SuperSU-v0.94 root metod. Device connects to Odin, i'm flashing the CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip with Odin, and I after I'm rebooting in recovery, I still see the stock revovery... What I do wrong? I'm folowing all the steps, watched the video, doing everything like in video.
    Device is
    Galaxy Note..........10.1
    Model Number.......GT-N8000
    Android Version.....4.1.2.
    Baseband version...N8000XXCLL1
    Kernel version........3.0.31 - 1446185
    ............................dpi@DELL234 # 1
    ............................SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 22 17:30:43 KST 2013
    Build number.........JZO54K.N8000XXCMJ2

Please Help

I've been facing this problem myself this week. I found another post about this issue, and followed it, though I can't find it again. But here are the steps
    1. Before you flash the recovery, uncheck "Auto Reboot" in Odin (or use the --no-reboot switch for heimdall).
    2. Once it's done flashing, reboot straight into recovery by holding the volume up (farthest from power) and the power button (all while the "download" screen is still up).
    3. Release the power button when the splash screen comes up, but continue holding the volume button.
    4. Release the volume button once the recovery comes up.
    I was told that when rebooting after from the first installation using Odin, the tablet recovers the stock recovery (overwriting the custom recovery).

This was very frustrating for me before I came across that post. I think I installed CMW or TWRP a total of 10 times before I found the fix.
    reserved

reserved
    I was successful in rooting the 10.1 (N8013), But i've noticed that when i use the CWM recovery, i have actually purchased a premium app to show support. When i reboots it goes into the android recovery. So with your initial instructions i did the CWM recovery mode from odin and reboot manually. So now if i want to do custom rom flashed i have to do it though odin as well? Can i use GOO app or the CWM paid app?

Much appreciate you input, i will be ever so great ful.

Sincerely,

Just follow the below steps :

if you are still getting the stock recovery 3e follow these steps :

1. When flashing CWM through odin untick the "Auto Reboot" option within Odin.
    2. Flash CWM.
    3. When done , press power & volume up ( the one apart from power button ) until the Samsung logo appears, then leave both buttons.
    4. CWM will appear.
    5. Choose "Reboot System now "
    6. You will get a new screen with an option mentioning something like " disable flash recovery , press it & reboot.
    7. Now if you get back to pressing power & volume up you will have a permanent CWM.

Then you can install root through CWM.:)
    For development, I need both so I can testing everything, I don't want to see people bricking their $500-600 tablets because I didn't test it first.