[ROM] Jelly Bean / CyanogenMod 10 on HTC ChaCha

Search This thread

mobilepgk

Nov 24, 2009
QuickSearchBox.apk

For direct use please find attached QuickSearchBox.apk (extracted from CM10 package from OP). Please Refer last post for details.

Attachments

• QuickSearchBox.apk
    955 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: adlx.xda

empy16

Mar 21, 2009
I'll contribute to this awesome projects by pointing out some of the bugs and fixes:

1. Fixing home button and search button inactivity, lack of message sound:

I had this problem when I installed the rom and the gapps at once, without restarting. Then I had the most problems mentioned in the OP post.
After the install I wiped data/cache and re installed the rom without flashing Gapps and restarted, waited for it to load, removed some apps and booted in CWM. THEN installed Gapps and everything seemed to work fine.

2. Lack of space for gapps.

I'm from Europe, so I don't really need any other keyboards, but stock. So I removed the "Android Latin IME (AOSP)" which took 23MB of space, removed all the live wallpapers and apps that crash. I use Nova launcher (~3MB) instead Trebuchet (~12MB). This saved me more than 30MB and Gapps installed properly. I still have some spare space left (around 20-25MB)

The only thing that really annoys me is the rotation issue. I use Rotation Locker for now, but it's annoying to keep that app running for it to lock the rotation. I'll try to look into this myself.

Cheers guys, this is an amazing ROM: fast, durable and power-saving. (5h on battery and 92% left! And I'm using the phone quite extensively!)

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, I'm having some Wi-Fi problems. Poor reception is one of the problems, but the main one is when I go out of range, it does not reconnect once I'm back in the range. Wifi On-Off does the trick. One more thing - it usually shows poor reception (a dot) in the Wifi dialog, but once connected - it quickly jumps to full reception. Pretty weird.

Last edited:

kronflux

Jun 6, 2012
Edmonton
Samsung Galaxy S7
Google Pixel 2
Lack of space for gapps.
I use Nova launcher (~3MB) instead Trebuchet (~12MB). This saved me more than 30MB and Gapps installed properly. I still have some spare space left (around 20-25MB)

The only thing that really annoys me is the rotation issue. I use Rotation Locker for now, but it's annoying to keep that app running for it to lock the rotation.

Here's how I saved a bunch of space and also got the benefits of installing gapps:

I got ES File Explorer on my device by moving it from my sdcard to my /system/app folder via the terminal.
(you can download the file manager here: http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html )
Here's how I did this:
open terminal emulator
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/esfileexplorer.apk /system/app/esfileexplorer.apk
chmod 0644 /system/app/esfileexplorer.apk
mount -o remount,ro /system
sync
reboot

After reboot, I used ES File Explorer(changed settings to allow root access and default directory to root) to delete the following:

Bluetooth.apk - because I don't use Bluetooth at all
Calculator.apk - it crashes currently
CMWallpapers.apk - can use my own or a default wallpaper
CMUpdater.apk - doesn't currently work, as CyanogenMod doesn't currently support the ChaCha officially
Galaxy4.apk - don't use it
HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk - don't use it
LatinIME.apk - I don't need it
LiveWallpapers.apk - I don't use it
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk - I don't use it
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apl - I don't use it
NoiseField.apk - I don't use it
PhaseBeam.apk - I don't use it
PicoTts.apk - I don't need TTS
QuickSearchBox.apk - I'll be installing gapps, then replacing it's copy with this one afterward. so for now I don't need it.
SoundRecorder.apk - I don't use it
SpeechRecorder.apk - I don't it
ThemeChooser.apk - I don't use themes
ThemeManager.apk - I don't use themes
Trebuchet.apk - I'll be adding Apex Launcher(since it's smaller and I prefer it). Deleting this will cause issues, but I'll be flashing apex launcher via CWM so I don't need it.
VideoEditor.apk - I don't take video, let alone edit them on my phone
VisualizationWallpaper.apk - I don't use them
VoiceDialer.apk - I don't use it

I then rebooted and proceeded to flash GApps via CWM, as well as Apex Launcher
(I have uploaded the apex launcher zip to flash with CWM to my dropbox:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23350/Apex_Launcher.zip )

After rebooting, I deleted the following(using es file manager again):

GoogleFeedback.apk - Not needed
GoogleTTS.apk - I don't use TTS
Microbes.apk - I don't use it
QuickSearchBox.apk - after deleting some files, I'll be copying the QuickSearchBox.apk from the CM10 zip to this location
Talk.apk - I don't use it
Talkback.apk - I don't use it
Thinkfree.apk - I don't use it
VoiceSearchStub.apk - I don't use voice search

I then deleted the /system/tts folder
Optionally you can also delete the bootanimation.zip from /system/media, but this will cause it to show "android" default boot logo.
You could also delete some stuff from /system/media/audio and /system/media/video to free some more space if you're desperate.

I'll likely delete ES File Manager later on, so I can reinstall it as a non-system app via the play store so I can move it to my SD Card.

kronflux

Jun 6, 2012
Edmonton
Samsung Galaxy S7
Google Pixel 2
For a stripped version of GAPPS(with basic ones and some crap removed),Try THESE!!!!!!

This will probably give more space than flashing the regular GAPPS

Thanks for the good find!

which one I have downloaded to?
lite or lite rebased?

rebased is smaller - although the only difference in files(aside from possibly their content) I could find is that they removed the gmail app.

you can also remove GoogleFeedback.apk from it as it shouldn't be needed AFAIK

Flexmaen

May 17, 2011
Great! I'll wait a little bit and then will chance to CM10.

@adlx
Any chance, getting this kernal to work where you can do call recording?

unreal64

Feb 17, 2010
Rome
www.unreal64.it
Hi there!!

First of all congratulation for this awesome goal!!! JB on the HTC Chacha, great!! :laugh:
Unfortunally i cant help testing, my sister won't let me install this on her phone, not until the camera is fixed (females..... buying phones only for the camera! :p )

Anyway i'm not posting here just to congratulate, but also to give some tips. Maybe you (mean adlx, Alex C.) are already aware of it, but if not this could help you a bit :)

Even if i don't send anything to contribute to cm10 (my java knowledge is poor and my spare time is almost equal to 0) i usually walk through their gerrit to look at the sent patches and to learn something new. I noticed that there is a guy, Rashed Abdel-Tawab which is trying to get approved some patches that will help compatibility for old devices to let some graphic and cameras work with cm10.
In particular i looked that this http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25118/ could be useful for something related to our phone (it says it does apply to MSM7x27 phones)
Then these could be useful for the camera problems:
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25115/
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25113/
as it seems that camera works with third party app, maybe using the legacycamera with this patches could solve the problem.

Also (but is not so important as Alex C. said) this commit, once merged, will probably fix calc out of the box
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/24440/ (it says: Fixed crash on mdpi devices)

I hope this could be useful!! Have a nice week! :good:

Nicois

Dec 30, 2009
Melbourne
Here's how I saved a bunch of space and also got the benefits of installing gapps:

That's a really good recipe for freeing up memory and getting gapps on.

Is it possible to remove APKs from the shell? If so, I could try to make a script which automates everything you do. On the one hand I would love to do it all myself and see just how good this build of JB is, but I don't want to have to do it all again later, when the camera etc is more reliable.

I also have no experience with prepping zips for installation, but I wonder if the gapps and CM10 zip files could have files deleted from them before we flash, to make it even better. Or are there hashes in the zips too somewhere, which are hard to regenerate?

atrix4g18

Jun 23, 2012
Thanks for the ROM.

I installed it without GAPPS then removed some system apps to free up space and flashed the LITE GAPPS.
Everything works smoothly. Although an Alpha Build this runs smoother than CM9.

I tried to flash PIMP MY ROM over this and ran into some issues. Would you be able to add some of the tweaks included?
Here is a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1908269

It flashed fine on the CM9 ROM.

Keep up the great work. This ROM runs as smooth as jellybean on my Dual Core Atrix 4G.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

That's a really good recipe for freeing up memory and getting gapps on.

Is it possible to remove APKs from the shell? If so, I could try to make a script which automates everything you do. On the one hand I would love to do it all myself and see just how good this build of JB is, but I don't want to have to do it all again later, when the camera etc is more reliable.

I also have no experience with prepping zips for installation, but I wonder if the gapps and CM10 zip files could have files deleted from them before we flash, to make it even better. Or are there hashes in the zips too somewhere, which are hard to regenerate?

1. Just FLASH ROM first.
2. After that REBOOT and DELETE SOME APPS. You could use the terminal, but I just connected to my wifi network and download a file manager with root access. Google "es file explorer apk".
3. After deleting a few apps in /system/app there was enough space to FLASH LITE GAPPS from here: http://goo.im/devs/OliverG96/gapps-lite Not much space needs to be freed; it is only the /system/ partition that is close to full. The /data/ partition is just fine. I have over 60mb free with a couple small apps installed. Of course with a proper app2sd you wouldn't need to worry. Just get enough space for the LITE GAPPS. The ZIP is under 12mb so it shouldn't take up much more than that on the /system partition. After that you have a smooth running ROM. No camera but that will be fixed shortly.

Last edited:

Nicois

Dec 30, 2009
Melbourne
I put my money where my mouth is, and have quickly thrown together a script which might transform the CM zip and the gapps zip into smaller zip files. Passing in the two files in the first post, it brings the 153mb CM file down to 96mb and the gapps from 84mb down to 70mb. It does this by following Kronflux's suggestions, more or less: deleting lots of APKs (couldn't find ThinkFree or Microbes so skipped them), some larger audio and video files and all the TTS files except for the one specified on line 6 of the script.

The script is here. Running ubuntu linux here, but as long as you have bash you should be fine. Just pass in the CM zip file's location as the first argument and the gapps as the second.

Important: As it stands, this script is not working. I need to understand the META-INF stuff a bit better, so don't try using it just yet. I might not have the time to get the script working until tomorrow but I wanted to share it with you now, as we're all impatient to get JB working on our ChaChas!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilepgk

atrix4g18

Jun 23, 2012
I put my money where my mouth is, and have quickly thrown together a script which might transform the CM zip and the gapps zip into smaller zip files. Passing in the two files in the first post, it brings the 153mb CM file down to 96mb and the gapps from 84mb down to 70mb. It does this by following Kronflux's suggestions, more or less: deleting lots of APKs (couldn't find ThinkFree or Microbes so skipped them), some larger audio and video files and all the TTS files except for the one specified on line 6 of the script.

The script is here. Running ubuntu linux here, but as long as you have bash you should be fine. Just pass in the CM zip file's location as the first argument and the gapps as the second.

Important: I have not tried to install these zips yet, and I don't really understand what I'm doing. From what I quickly googled it sounds like I can just delete the files in META-INF, but maybe that's incorrect information. I might not have the time to test the script until tomorrow but I wanted to share it with you now, as we're all impatient to get JB working on our ChaChas!!

That's great man, but read my post above. LITE GAPPS 11.36mb. That's what people should use. They get the working Play Store and can then install maps and other google apps. Also if your script deletes trebuchet then people will need to flash a new homescreen and could run into issues.

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
Important: As it stands, this script is not working. I need to understand the META-INF stuff a bit better, so don't try using it just yet. I might not have the time to get the script working until tomorrow but I wanted to share it with you now, as we're all impatient to get JB working on our ChaChas!!

META-INF signature is created by signing the zip:

- You should be able to flash a non re-signed zip by using the "Toggle zip signature verification" option in CWM,

- You could resign the zip after generating it. Tip: Google "testsign.jar sign zip".

Reactions: unreal64

mobilepgk

Nov 24, 2009
ROM size reduction : /system OK but /data NOT OK

Thanks Nicois
I did similar reduction in /system memory. Have installed my most used apps into /system memory as below

- From ROM: Apollo, Talk, Torch
- BatteryFu (helps to control sync patterns, thus battery)
- ES File Manager
- Gmail
- GTasks
- Link2SD
- Google Maps
- Nova Launcher (removed Trebuchet.apk and reclaimed about 10Mb)
- SMS Popup
- TeamBHP (forum reader)
- Terminal Emulator
- Voice Recorder
- XDA premium

With above apps, this is how my system/ and /data folder looks like
Code:
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/system                269M   190M    [COLOR="Red"][B]78M[/B][/COLOR]   4096
/data                  150M   116M    [COLOR="red"][B]33M[/B][/COLOR]   4096
/cache                  35M     1M    33M   4096

I removed following parts from system/
  • removed some big fonts. Just kept Roboto* and DroidSans* fonts. Folder size reduced from 19.5Mb --> 2.2Mb
  • removed almost all files from /system/media/audio and /system/media/video and just kept two files one for working ringtone and one for notification sound. (video files are useless anyways. Audio files you can copy to Sdcard, and android will still use them allow you to set them as ringtones etc). Folder size reduced from 20.4Mb --> 2.4Mb.
  • removed the boot animation system\media\bootanimation.zip. Saved 1.4Mb
  • removed following apps from system\app
    LatinIME.apk , gained 24Mb ! So far I don't see any issues because of removing it.​
    CMWallpapers.apk, VideoEditor.apk, Email.apk and other small unwanted apks. Saved about 15Mb​

As you see, overall I could reclaim about 75Mb from /system easily.

I like philosophy of
  • keeping apps in /system
  • and avoid app2sd or using ext partition as much
you may say personal taste, but I like additional benefit we get of ability to do Factory-Reset anytime and have a clean start with all apps intact!

So far so good. Now /system is fine but problems are with /data. As I installed many apps (as above), Hardly 33Mb left! Almost 75Mb going to Dalvik-cache and about 40Mb to /data/data. Thinking on how to solve this problem...:confused: Have two options :
  • Making /system writable and moving/linking Dalvik-cache to /system. Hmm...Risky? as well, it is just very very tight to fit the whole /data/dalvik-cache (which is 75Mb alread) into /system (just 75Mb left).
  • moving/linking apps/data/dalvik to SDcard. But this is against my preference of no-SDcard-usage :(

btw, our chacha have 512Mb of ROM, out of which /system takes 269M. How much other sections take, any chance of using/re-sizing other sections?

Last edited:
Reactions: bellus_charm

adlx.xda

Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
Thanks Nicois
I did similar reduction in /system memory. Have installed my most used apps into /system memory as below

- From ROM: Apollo, Talk, Torch
- BatteryFu (helps to control sync patterns, thus battery)
- ES File Manager
- Gmail
- GTasks
- Link2SD
- Google Maps
- Nova Launcher (removed Trebuchet.apk and reclaimed about 10Mb)
- SMS Popup
- TeamBHP (forum reader)
- Terminal Emulator
- Voice Recorder
- XDA premium

With above apps, this is how my system/ and /data folder looks like
Code:
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/system                269M   190M    [COLOR="Red"][B]78M[/B][/COLOR]   4096
/data                  150M   116M    [COLOR="red"][B]33M[/B][/COLOR]   4096
/cache                  35M     1M    33M   4096

I removed following parts from system/
  • removed some big fonts. Just kept Roboto* and DroidSans* fonts. Folder size reduced from 19.5Mb --> 2.2Mb
  • removed almost all files from /system/media/audio and /system/media/video and just kept two files one for working ringtone and one for notification sound. (video files are useless anyways. Audio files you can copy to Sdcard, and android will still use them allow you to set them as ringtones etc). Folder size reduced from 20.4Mb --> 2.4Mb.
  • removed the boot animation system\media\bootanimation.zip. Saved 1.4Mb
  • removed following apps from system\app
    LatinIME.apk , gained 24Mb ! So far I don't see any issues because of removing it.​
    CMWallpapers.apk, VideoEditor.apk, Email.apk and other small unwanted apks. Saved about 15Mb​

As you see, overall I could reclaim about 75Mb from /system easily.

I like philosophy of
  • keeping apps in /system
  • and avoid app2sd or using ext partition as much
you may say personal taste, but I like additional benefit we get of ability to do Factory-Reset anytime and have a clean start with all apps intact!

So far so good. Now /system is fine but problems are with /data. As I installed many apps (as above), Hardly 33Mb left! Almost 75Mb going to Dalvik-cache and about 40Mb to /data/data. Thinking on how to solve this problem...:confused: Have two options :
  • Making /system writable and moving/linking Dalvik-cache to /system. Hmm...Risky?
  • moving/linking apps/data/dalvik to SDcard. But this is against my preference of no-SDcard-usage :(

You could wipe dalvik-cache from CWM Recovery, so it will rebuild it on next boot (which will clean all the obsolete files corresponding to apks that you have removed).

You can also do it with Titanium Backup. TB will also allow you to "move" some dalvik-cache files to /system IIRC, maybe you want to try that (I have never tried that).

Reactions: bellus_charm

mobilepgk

Nov 24, 2009
thanks Adlx.
yes, I have been doing operation clean-dalvik-cache very often. My freshly build one takes 75Mb or so :(
Will try moving partial dalvic-cache as you suggested.

Thanks Nicois
btw, our chacha have 512Mb of ROM, out of which /system takes 269M. How much other sections take, any chance of using/re-sizing other sections?

My bad here...
512Mb is split between major sections of /system, /data and /cache as 269Mb, 150Mb and 35Mb respectively. Accounting to 454Mb. I guess rest goes to bootloader etc sections. No idea.
We may try resizing partitions like here by Firerat, but we just have 35Mb of cache. Wont gain much.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

You can also do it with Titanium Backup. TB will also allow you to "move" some dalvik-cache files to /system IIRC, maybe you want to try that (I have never tried that).

Moving dalvik-cache *partially* to other section is possible. Say we have un-used /cache section of 35Mb. We may write script to move some dalvic-cache to /cache and add s-link to original place. We may do this till /cache is full upto 30Mb.

But there is flaw here. Say we wish to delete all dalvik and start all over. When we clean /data or /data/dalvik-cache, the s-links also are deleted. So the init process by default will try to populate /data/dalvik-cache to fullest (this is well before we can run our script to move out partial dalvik-cache out). And threre is a chance now that init will fail because dalvik-cache can not get enough space. :(

So if dalvik-cache is moved, we have to move *FULL* /dalvik-cache folder.
Or, avoid using CWM to clean /data/dalvik-cache and instead have one more script for it, which will delete everything else except s-links. But what happens when we un-install some app whose dalvik is moved out? hmm...becomes complex enough... :(

Last edited:

adlx.xda

Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
Moving dalvik-cache *partially* to other section is possible. Say we have un-used /cache section of 35Mb. We may write script to move some dalvic-cache to /cache and add s-link to original place. We may do this till /cache is full upto 30Mb.

But there is flaw here. Say we wish to delete all dalvik and start all over. When we clean /data or /data/dalvik-cache, the s-links also are deleted. So the init process by default will try to populate /data/dalvik-cache to fullest (this is well before we can run our script to move out partial dalvik-cache out). And threre is a chance now that init will fail because dalvik-cache can not get enough space. :(

So if dalvik-cache is moved, we have to move *FULL* /dalvik-cache folder.
Or, avoid using CWM to clean /data/dalvik-cache and instead have one more script for it, which will delete everything else except s-links. But what happens when we un-install some app whose dalvik is moved out? hmm...becomes complex enough... :(

I haven't tried the "Integrate Dalvik cache system elements into ROM" in TB, but I guess it's not done though symlinks. I'd say it's like odexing the apk.

Edit:
Version 4.6.4 [PRO] Added the ability to integrate Dalvik cache system elements into ROM (as odex files) which can save a lot of internal data storage space.

I could build the rom odexed (like CM9), which should give some more space on /data (less dalvik-cache). First builds I did, wer odexed, but they wouldn't fix in the /system part. So as a fast measure I rebuilt it deodexed, which is slimest, so it would fit in /system.

I guess I could build it odexed, and remove not oftenly used components (as you guys have shown earlier). So it would be "CM10-lite odexed".

Unfortunately, right now I can't build anything anymore as I have no machine to build on :(.

Last edited:

atrix4g18

Jun 23, 2012
Here is the ROM without LATINIME.apk and a few others. It won't require any apps to be deleted. GAPPS can be flashed right after.

INSTALLATION:

1. Reboot Into CWM Recovery
2. Wipe DATA, wipe CACHE
3. Flash ROM .zip file (CM10-20121023-CHACHA-LITE-atrix4g18.zip)
4. Flash GAPPS .zip file (gapps-jb-20120726-lite-rebased.zip)
5. DONE!

ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?4004juylnpfvu11
GAPPS: http://www.mediafire.com/?7m6zv8nc2gdynp8

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

This thread contains the developing/porting stages for the Jelly Bean / CyanogenMod 10 ROM, brought to you by adlx.xda. Therefore all the credits regarding this should go to him. Thanks man for making this device better for each one of us!
    Please note that the 2nd post is reserved by adlx for future use. Keep an eye out there. In the meantime I will manage the QA and provide assistance as much as possible.

jelly-bean-logo-300x300.png

Disclaimer: Any complaints about "damaging your phone", "stuff X doesn't work and I haven't put in it the known issues list and now my phone doesn't work as I want it to work and I'm crying like a little girl", and similar observations will not be tolerated. Flash this ROM at your own risk, you have been warned.

NOTE: This ROM is far from stable, it's still under high development by the CM team. Please report all of your findings in the thread as suggested below.
    2nd NOTE: Please keep the thread clean of off-topic. Questions like "when is the next release?","When is the front camera fixed?" and so on will not be tolerated.

Downloads.png

Release notes:
    • relnotes in progress.

Instructions.png

• Reboot Into CWM Recovery
    • Wipe data, wipe cache
    • Flash ROM .zip file
    • Flash Google Apps

KnownIssues.png

• Google Apps seem not have enough space to flash correctly - Under investigation.
    • Text messages do not give notifications(even after going into the settings of the messaging application and making sure that "Notifications" is checked) - Reflash ROM with data/cache wipe.
    • Home button does not bring you home. - Under investigation.
    • Search button does not seem to do work.
    • Camera crashes.
    • Web Browser seems to just flash white on the screen for a second, then disappears and nothing happens. - Reflash ROM with data/cache wipe.
    • Dial pad in Phone application needs slight resizing, the left side of each number is slightly cut off.
    • During a call, the screen is rotated counter-clockwise 90 degrees.
    • Apollo is rotated counter-clockwise 90 degrees, except it's settings menu.
    • Calculator crashes on startup.
    • Movie Studio crashes on startup.
    • Lock screen isn't showing when locking - Reflash ROM with data/cache wipe.

Screenshots.png

3Pb3wsxe7M7ovdcg49Ll3QFr4tztb6bWYPFO4f2ceJo
    xJlnUdZlbbP0ivy2_wMHXTiCGajEPeYeJZywU7Ah0Aw

Zzr2rzELGrF6jFW46P-vtT3n-Gmw2tssBgtWVrZPITQ
    OP+1

Useful Stuff that apply to that rom

Credits_Thanks.png

• ASN/Modpunk from the Wildfire S development, as I massively kanged his JB sources as a starting point and I xalso use his msm-7x27 common sources.
    • Recognized Contributor Alex C. for this official thread OP maintenance
    • CyanogenMod and all the people contributing to it for the main sources
    • SuperTeam for their help

Sources:

Uploading fixed (hopefully) build right now. Check the md5.

55eee2af338862dc36f9e7b871ca6fad cm-10-20121029-EXPERIMENTAL-chacha-ADLX-ALPHA0.zip
    Lack of space for gapps.
    I use Nova launcher (~3MB) instead Trebuchet (~12MB). This saved me more than 30MB and Gapps installed properly. I still have some spare space left (around 20-25MB)

The only thing that really annoys me is the rotation issue. I use Rotation Locker for now, but it's annoying to keep that app running for it to lock the rotation.

I got ES File Explorer on my device by moving it from my sdcard to my /system/app folder via the terminal.
    (you can download the file manager here: http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html )
    Here's how I did this:
    open terminal emulator
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /sdcard/esfileexplorer.apk /system/app/esfileexplorer.apk
    chmod 0644 /system/app/esfileexplorer.apk
    mount -o remount,ro /system
    sync
    reboot

After reboot, I used ES File Explorer(changed settings to allow root access and default directory to root) to delete the following:

Bluetooth.apk - because I don't use Bluetooth at all
    Calculator.apk - it crashes currently
    CMWallpapers.apk - can use my own or a default wallpaper
    CMUpdater.apk - doesn't currently work, as CyanogenMod doesn't currently support the ChaCha officially
    Galaxy4.apk - don't use it
    HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk - don't use it
    LatinIME.apk - I don't need it
    LiveWallpapers.apk - I don't use it
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk - I don't use it
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apl - I don't use it
    NoiseField.apk - I don't use it
    PhaseBeam.apk - I don't use it
    PicoTts.apk - I don't need TTS
    QuickSearchBox.apk - I'll be installing gapps, then replacing it's copy with this one afterward. so for now I don't need it.
    SoundRecorder.apk - I don't use it
    SpeechRecorder.apk - I don't it
    ThemeChooser.apk - I don't use themes
    ThemeManager.apk - I don't use themes
    Trebuchet.apk - I'll be adding Apex Launcher(since it's smaller and I prefer it). Deleting this will cause issues, but I'll be flashing apex launcher via CWM so I don't need it.
    VideoEditor.apk - I don't take video, let alone edit them on my phone
    VisualizationWallpaper.apk - I don't use them
    VoiceDialer.apk - I don't use it

I then rebooted and proceeded to flash GApps via CWM, as well as Apex Launcher
    (I have uploaded the apex launcher zip to flash with CWM to my dropbox:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23350/Apex_Launcher.zip )

After rebooting, I deleted the following(using es file manager again):

GoogleFeedback.apk - Not needed
    GoogleTTS.apk - I don't use TTS
    Microbes.apk - I don't use it
    QuickSearchBox.apk - after deleting some files, I'll be copying the QuickSearchBox.apk from the CM10 zip to this location
    Talk.apk - I don't use it
    Talkback.apk - I don't use it
    Thinkfree.apk - I don't use it
    VoiceSearchStub.apk - I don't use voice search

I then deleted the /system/tts folder
    Optionally you can also delete the bootanimation.zip from /system/media, but this will cause it to show "android" default boot logo.
    You could also delete some stuff from /system/media/audio and /system/media/video to free some more space if you're desperate.

I'll likely delete ES File Manager later on, so I can reinstall it as a non-system app via the play store so I can move it to my SD Card.
    cm-10-20121029-EXPERIMENTAL-chacha-ADLX-ALPHA0.zip

I'm uploading a new build right now. I haven't been able to test it, so I don't even know if it will flash and boot and work correctly. Beware.

I made it to test some scripts to reduce the size of the rom, removing some stuff. Maybe I removed too much, or I could remove more. It will be a question of adjusting ;).

Also the build is odexed now. LatinIME is now ~10 MB.

Link: REMOVED.

File size should be 123 MB, and md5 should be 1099fcb076e254295c831d09239cd698 .
    If not, be patient, the build is probably still uploading!

EDIT: Link removed, there something wrong with the build, it wouldn't boot. I have to see why... :(