[App] Marathon - GPS measure / tracking software

Search This thread

usbprog

Dec 29, 2008
First of all, a very nice programm =)

But it doesn't work on my phne (HTC P3600, Win Mobile 5.0)

When I want to start, I get following failure message:

Marathon.exe
MissingMethodException
File- or Assemblyname
'System.Windows.Forms,
Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral
PublicKeyToken=969DB8053D3322AC'
or a a dependency of it wasn't found

Can you give me a solution?

br Robert

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
"That's strange, I've had the application running over a night without any problems (indoors, so no GPS signal in that test). Did you turn the display of or kept it on all the time? "

I tested the system first with switching to standby (and it does not talk to me) after that I just shut of the screen and then it was talking to me for a couple of Minutes and after 25 Minutes it failed completly. I will download the new version and give it a try on my next run tomorrow.
I will post the result.

I might know what could be the cause of your problems. What is your PollInterval (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice) set to? The default on my device is 1000, which gives one gps coordinate / second. If the value is to low Marathon will probably end up having problem to process all the data. I have an idea how to fix this (without changing your PollInterval), so I'll keep you updated and hopefully post a new beta soon.

First of all, a very nice programm =)

But it doesn't work on my phne (HTC P3600, Win Mobile 5.0)

When I want to start, I get following failure message:

Marathon.exe
MissingMethodException
File- or Assemblyname
'System.Windows.Forms,
Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral
PublicKeyToken=969DB8053D3322AC'
or a a dependency of it wasn't found

Can you give me a solution?

br Robert

You probably have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. 3.5 is required for Marathon and can be downloaded for free from microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-3C6B-42F1-9FD9-0041345B3385&displaylang=en

Genoa

Jan 17, 2007
Genoa
www.batista70phone.com
Good job Ooije!!!

It works fine on Mio A701 too (WM 6.5 cooked rom) ;)

Attachments

• pc_capture3.jpg
    pc_capture3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 25

sergutel

Jan 23, 2009
Hello Ooije, thanks for your quick replies ;)

You typed: The "Starting GPS Device..." should take less than a second, it says "No Signal" when there is no GPS fix. So the problem is that the GPS device isn't detected at all. Do you usually have to configure applications before using your device or do other software detect your GPS automatically? Currently Marathon uses the GPS intermediate driver which is supposed to increase the abstraction level so I don't have to parse the NMEA strings from the COM-port, but I guess I have to take a look at other alternatives.

My answers: Do you usually have to configure applications before using your device or do other software detect your GPS automatically?
I have to configure them. Even the WM option is enabled (gps managed by Windows, I mean).
More feedback, when go to Menu>View>GPS Info
this is displayed:
n/a
n/a
n/a
Using device with state StartingUp and service state On.​

Regards,

adamkhanmian

Aug 8, 2009
Charsadda, NWFP
Starting gps...

I have an htc TyTN....and the same problem occurs....it says starting gps and it doesnt seem to start even after half an hour, which is quite a lot of time, i emailed johan too regarding this and i thought the problem was solved but it was not.... can it be solved because i desperately want this software and im sure those who have it are very much content with what they get :)

sergutel

Jan 23, 2009
To Ooije the developer ;)

Reading the previous posts, I'm pretty sure that if you set an "Options GPS Menu" where you can set the COM port the software would use and the amount of bauds it can be use too, Marathonwould work for me and the guy above my post.

Waiting for your opinion.
Regards,

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
I add the "start bug" with the previous version but it's ok with 1.0.0.2 version ;)

BTW if you need French translation just PM me ;)

Great! I'll probably contact you in a few weeks/months about the translation. Right now I still add/change to much of the application to implement more languages without a huge effort from the translators.

To Ooije the developer ;)

Reading the previous posts, I'm pretty sure that if you set an "Options GPS Menu" where you can set the COM port the software would use and the amount of bauds it can be use too, Marathonwould work for me and the guy above my post.

Waiting for your opinion.
Regards,

Hello Ooije, thanks for your quick replies ;)

You typed: The "Starting GPS Device..." should take less than a second, it says "No Signal" when there is no GPS fix. So the problem is that the GPS device isn't detected at all. Do you usually have to configure applications before using your device or do other software detect your GPS automatically? Currently Marathon uses the GPS intermediate driver which is supposed to increase the abstraction level so I don't have to parse the NMEA strings from the COM-port, but I guess I have to take a look at other alternatives.

My answers: Do you usually have to configure applications before using your device or do other software detect your GPS automatically?
I have to configure them. Even the WM option is enabled (gps managed by Windows, I mean).
More feedback, when go to Menu>View>GPS Info
this is displayed:
n/a
n/a
n/a
Using device with state StartingUp and service state On.​

Regards,

I have an htc TyTN....and the same problem occurs....it says starting gps and it doesnt seem to start even after half an hour, which is quite a lot of time, i emailed johan too regarding this and i thought the problem was solved but it was not.... can it be solved because i desperately want this software and im sure those who have it are very much content with what they get :)

I got my Bluetooth GPS yesterday so I've played around some with it and got it to work together with Marathon by some basic registry settings. I've also got it working on another COM-port using GPSProxy. There are probably two ways to solve the "Starting GPS..."-problem. But in order to choose which I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

Does "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\" exist on your device (you can use Total Commander Mobile to browse the registry, its available for free here: http://www.ghisler.com/smartphone.htm)?

Does \Windows\gpsid.dll exist (dll-files are hidden in explorer, so you'll have to use something like Total Commander Mobile here as well).

If you answer no to any of the above questions, are you using a cooked or OEM ROM?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sergutel

Jan 23, 2009
Hello Ooije, thanks for replies again ;)

1.- Does "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\" exist on your device?
Yes. Inside of it I can see 2 folders and 2 files
Drivers (2 files inside)
Multiplexer (1 folder and 2 files inside)
(default) (not defined value)
IsEnabled 0x1(1)

2.- Does \Windows\gpsid.dll exist
No.

3.- If you answer no to any of the above questions, are you using a cooked or OEM ROM?
...mmm....not sure what you are asking... But anyways I NEVER tunned the original files in my phone.
Just adding or removing 3rd party softwares.

4.- Count on me to translate Marathon into Spanish ;)

Read you soon.
/S

PD: I have also installed SportyPal software. Has no options to configure GPS. It is not working either on my phone. (www.sportypal.com for futher info)

Last edited:

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
Have testing it on HTC Fuze.. working great!!

Lovely app!! thank you!!

Im glad you like it :).

Hello Ooije, thanks for replies again ;)

1.- Does "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\" exist on your device?
Yes. Inside of it I can see 2 folders and 2 files
Drivers (2 files inside)
Multiplexer (1 folder and 2 files inside)
(default) (not defined value)
IsEnabled 0x1(1)

2.- Does \Windows\gpsid.dll exist
No.

3.- If you answer no to any of the above questions, are you using a cooked or OEM ROM?
...mmm....not sure what you are asking... But anyways I NEVER tunned the original files in my phone.
Just adding or removing 3rd party softwares.

4.- Count on me to translate Marathon into Spanish ;)

Read you soon.
/S

PD: I have also installed SportyPal software. Has no options to configure GPS. It is not working either on my phone. (www.sportypal.com for futher info)

Ok, thanks for the answers.

The GPS Intermediate Driver need a gpsid dll to work, but vendors can replace it with their custom dlls. The registry key " HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\Dll" should contain the path and name of the dll which is in use. Could you please check what that key contains and whether the file exists. Like I said before you can't use the built in explorer to check it since dll-files are hidden, so use something like Total Commander.

The Drivers key (folder) should contain a subfolder as well, so it seems like your GPS Intermediate Driver wasnt fully configured by your device vendor (or some 3d party software have modified it). But lets start with finding the dll :).

And about a Spanish translation:
Since Marathon is still in an early stage of development the text which should be translated still changes quite a lot. So it would take a lot of time, both from me and the translators to make this work. Therefore I've decided to wait with any translations until I get a more stable set of features (a few weeks/months). But I'll add you to my translators list and contact you when its time.
Thanks in advance!

sergutel

Jan 23, 2009
"The GPS Intermediate Driver need a gpsid dll to work, but vendors can replace it with their custom dlls. The registry key " HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\Dll" should contain the path and name of the dll which is in use. Could you please check what that key contains and whether the file exists.

Correct. In that HKLM path I can see the .dll in use. GPSID.dll
But there are no path displayed. Anyways, Resco Explorer found two dll's
My device\windows\gpsapi.dll (2Kb) &
My device\windows\gpsid.dll (49Kb)

The Drivers key (folder) should contain a subfolder as well, so it seems like your GPS Intermediate Driver wasnt fully configured by your device vendor (or some 3d party software have modified it). But lets start with finding the dll "

No. There is no subfolder.
Two entries:
(Default) (not defined value)
CurrentDriver (Control Panel Configured Device)

Hope this helps in your findings.
Best regards,
/sergu

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
"The GPS Intermediate Driver need a gpsid dll to work, but vendors can replace it with their custom dlls. The registry key " HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\Dll" should contain the path and name of the dll which is in use. Could you please check what that key contains and whether the file exists.

Correct. In that HKLM path I can see the .dll in use. GPSID.dll
But there are no path displayed. Anyways, Resco Explorer found two dll's
My device\windows\gpsapi.dll (2Kb) &
My device\windows\gpsid.dll (49Kb)

The Drivers key (folder) should contain a subfolder as well, so it seems like your GPS Intermediate Driver wasnt fully configured by your device vendor (or some 3d party software have modified it). But lets start with finding the dll "

No. There is no subfolder.
Two entries:
(Default) (not defined value)
CurrentDriver (Control Panel Configured Device)

Hope this helps in your findings.
Best regards,
/sergu

Alright, it seems like you have the driver installed, but not configured. I just tried to go into "Start -> Settings -> System -> External GPS" on a fresh emulator image and set the following:

Program Port: Any available COM-port.
Hardware Port: The port you're usually configuring in the gps application (I just took a free one for the emulator since there's no gps-device on it).
Access: Manage automatically.

The adobe settings created a subfolder in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers named "Control Panel Configured Device" (same as the content of "CurrentDriver").

In the Control Panel Configured Device the following values were added:
"CommPort=COM1:" - A string value containing the COM-port i chose, notice the : on the end.
"InterfaceType=COMM" - Also a string value.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multilexer also contains a value "DriverInterface=COM0:" which is the software port i chose.

What happens if you use the GUI and set these values? I noticed that when I tried to do the same configuration on my HTC Touch Pro the hardware port was automatically wasn't changed. I don't know if this is because i got multiple GPS Drivers configured (it doesn't know which one I'm actually configuring) or if it's some of HTC's magic.

I'd really appreciate if you could take the time to try out these settings, preferably using the GUI if it doesn't roll back the settings like my Touch Pro does.

Thanks in advance
Johan

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
I just released version 1.0.0.3 (or actually it was 2 days ago, but i havent had the time to write down the changelog untill now).

Here are the changes for the client:
• Support for devices with custom task bars.
• The map keeps it proportions instead of being stretched.
• The announcements will now have a lower amount of decimals. There is also an option to increase them again.
• Added an alternative to exclude seconds from announcements.
• Fixed a bug which caused the previous results announcement to stop working.
• Small changes to the GPS-code
• Fixed a bug which caused the start button to be disabled on some devices.
• Small changes to the rendering to improve responsiveness.
• The uninstaller no longer asks to remove all settings and data while updating from an older version.
• Fixed announcement precision on language cultures which doesn't use a dot as decimal separator.
• Announcements now work for feet / miles.
• Changed to small distances will show up in feet instead of miles for imperial units.

Hi
How can I download the trackto see them with GoogleH. on my pc?
thank
red

I haven't had the time to write a kmz exporter yet, but its on the TODO-list. But you can still view your result on google maps if you select "Menu->File->Upload".

quick test on Verizon Omnia WQVGA

I need to start gps before lauch program

nice idea

attachment.php
attachment.php

I think i've fixed the issue with the large taskbar, so I would really appriciate if you could try out 1.0.0.3 to see if it works.
Thanks in advance :).

hedphelym

Jul 15, 2007
Kristiansand
www.stigatle.net
I love this app! seriously, so easy to use, and i'ts just awesome.

Thank you x 100 for making this.
I've been searching for such an app for a long time,
and now i finally found one that's perfect for motorcycling.

And one thing; could you add "motorcycle" to the list? :)

And it works great on my HTC Diamond.

Ooije

Sep 9, 2008
Version 1.0.0.4 is now available, it contains a few bug fixes as well as the ability to keep results private on the webpage.

I love this app! seriously, so easy to use, and i'ts just awesome.

Thank you x 100 for making this.
I've been searching for such an app for a long time,
and now i finally found one that's perfect for motorcycling.

And one thing; could you add "motorcycle" to the list? :)

And it works great on my HTC Diamond.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it :). Adding motorcycle could certainly be done, but I'm not sure It's really required since "Motor Vehicle" already exists.

Fergus278

Dec 8, 2008
Awesome, it is just what i am looking for. I do a lot of hill walking, and the most important part is having a trail in case you need to re-trace your steps.

i originally found another app called Astrolabe http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=523183 that does something similar but allows you to send an sms to indicate your current position. Again very useful but lacking the tracking ability. However this app indicates the problems with controlling the GPS connection in relation to power consumption and battery life. It turns out that for a reasonable battery life the GPS connection can only be used every 30min.

What is the battery life impact of this app, and how often does it poll the GPS connection?