Z2 magnetic charging port loose

Search This thread

roninr1c

Jan 8, 2008
Miami, FL
www.flrteam.com
Hello all,

Any of you had any issues with the magnetic charging port on your Z2 coming lose? Mine has. Pulled it off the magnetic charging dock and the port was left of the dock.

idumbakumar

Aug 25, 2010
chennai
i dont have any issues with my port. i dont use dock.. but i have the magnetic connector.. the magnetic port is held by a clip in the other side of the metal frame, i think that might have released your port.. thats an easy fix..but u need to disassemble the phone..

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
Return the phone at once to where you made your purchase. Insist on either a new phone or a full refund. No brainer.

Let us now how you get on. Good luck and stand your ground!

Ryland

Impala62

Jul 1, 2008
Haha, this is really awkward. I hope Sony will fix this for you - looks really like a problem on the manufacturing side.

biniek

May 6, 2014
Warsaw
I wonder if the water resistant capability is vulnerable because of this, can you see internals thru holes after the dock?

ruinses

Jun 15, 2012
Busan
The same issue in South Korea.

Hello all,

Any of you had any issues with the magnetic charging port on your Z2 coming lose? Mine has. Pulled it off the magnetic charging dock and the port was left of the dock.

I'm sorry, bad English.
Several cases occurred in the same issue, even in our country.
But the problem is the fault of the customer, according to Sony service center.
Many people are angry, but they do not change attitudes.
Sony's quality control is questionable, but they do not recognize it either.
I hope you look forward to a good result. Please let us know results later!

kronikabis

Aug 24, 2009
Sydney
I tohught i'd found someone that had the charging port always crooked problem this is much different.

that is something to look out for.

Worried now as i use the magnetic port exclusively.

Kamran9558

Dec 30, 2008
This just happened to me today. I removed my phone from the dock this morning and the port was detached from the phone and was stuck on the dock :( its already my second phone as the first one had digitizer lines, gaps etc.

stargate1000

Jun 9, 2008
I'm on my third device now. Just happened to me on monday but I was using a third party charging cable.

it looks like the port is just glued in with the contacts being pushed into the phone. I would have thought they would have made it with a lip so it could not be pulled out!? or is that to much like common sense lol.

Reactions: PulpDood

cHoLoCoY

Jul 28, 2010
i was planning to buy this (it has really good reviews, 5 stars on all the reviews,.... although its only like 9 people that reviewed it)
http://www.amazon.com/Magnector-Per...402475479&sr=8-4&keywords=z2+magnetic+charger

it says that it has twice the Magnetic Power than original Sony Xperia Charging Cable.... that sounds good because i heard the original one is kinda weak and disconnects easy,.... but in the other hand it increases the possibility of making the magnetic port loose,.....

has anyone tried this product yet????

PulpDood

Oct 7, 2010
I'm on my third device now. Just happened to me on monday but I was using a third party charging cable.

it looks like the port is just glued in with the contacts being pushed into the phone. I would have thought they would have made it with a lip so it could not be pulled out!? or is that to much like common sense lol.

Common sense does not exist in the corporate world. They are mutually exclusive (save for some extenuating circumstances).

lovemyram4x4

Jun 4, 2008
So how does this affect waterproofing, is the phone stilled even if the port isn't in?

If it is then I wouldn't mind having to put dab of glue and shove it back in if mine ever came out.

If it's not then it might have been a leakage point for some of the people that ended up with moisture inside after phone is submerged.

I guess I'm going to have look for those tear down photos & see if it shows details of the frame/magnetic port.

Sent from my D6503 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
Well this is awkward. My port just came loose after using Sony original magnetic charger. Darn that's annoying, guess I have to return it. Should I relock the Bootloader? It doesn't have anything to do with software..

Sent from my D6503

I just sent it for repair, not sure if they can fix it or I get a new phone. Hopefully it's not "my fault". I will update when I hear from them.

Last edited:

osharaf

Dec 15, 2011
Please update me, mine did not come out but at the opposite it looks like it's being pushed in, there is a tiny gap showing on the left side as if it's going to fall inside the phone from one side.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is what came out...

Beware!

I have been using magnetic charging cables for about 1.5 months on my z2 and last week the magnetic charging port came loose and fell out! The charging port is a tiny piece of plastic and appears to be glued to the case. I suspect that repeated pressure applied to this port will cause the port to detach and fall out. The port was likely designed for the dock where the phone will just sit on the dock connector as compared to cables where the user may press the cable head against the port.

Sony offered to repair it under warranty and, upon my request, agreed to provide a replacement unit but have stated that they will do this once only. I think I am going to switch back to charging through the usb port. I prefer breaking the usb port cover to breaking the magnetic charging port.

This is a warning for anyone using a magnetic charging cable with the z2. Avoid applying pressure on the port!
    anybody knows what kind of glue?? thanks

Sykaflex 291
    I removed the old adhesive and replaced with sykaflex 291 (which is a special silicone / glue used in boating), and now everything is more solid, the magnet finally works good as ever