FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,276

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd January 2020, 03:34 PM |#11971  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

Redmi Note 8T might be a good choice, until you get to the fact that it runs a MediaTek SoC, which means no source code and that means no custom ROM.

I thought it was the Note 8 Pro that had the MediaTek SoC and that the Note 8/8T had Snapdragon 655 / Adreno 610 ?
I already dismissed the Note 8 Pro because of that...
22nd January 2020, 04:18 PM |#11972  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,354

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogpog

I thought it was the Note 8 Pro that had the MediaTek SoC and that the Note 8/8T had Snapdragon 655 / Adreno 610 ?
I already dismissed the Note 8 Pro because of that...

Ahh you're right, sorry I get them mixed up sometimes 😂

The Mi Mix 2 is way better choice still imo, even compared to the Note 8T.

Sent from my Essential Phone using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
22nd January 2020, 06:01 PM |#11973  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:

Looking for new phone, up to £200GBP (UK) with dual sims and an sd card, I would like to have an FM Radio and an IR blaster, plus the usual things (gps, camera, nfc, otg, headphone socket, etc). I plan (at some point, maybe after warranty) to put a custom rom onto it.

The down-side of the Motorola is its hybrid SIM/SD card and it doesn't have an IR blaster. Other than that I think it comes down to how well they work in practice...

I have two sims, a main one with data/voice/sms and another that will be voice/sms (and occasional data standby). I don't want to carry two phones. I've read that dual sim isn't like having 2 phones... one sim may be a "poor relative" of the other and limited to 2G. I can't find definitives on how the dual sim works in these phones. AFAICT they are both "dual standby" but it isn't clear to me whether one of these phones is better than the other for dual sim usage.

On paper, the Note 8T looks like the better choice - and 128GB comes in around the same price as the G8 Plus. So it seems like the better choice.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...torola_trinket
http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...28gb_m1908c3xg

Appreciate some thoughts, especially around real-world usage of two sim cards...

I've got a xiaomi mi5 with lineageos and I'm using 2 sim cards.

The way dual sim works here is as follows:
Both Sims are available to receive calls/sms.
When sending an sms you get to choose which sim to send from.
When making a call you get to choose which sim to call from.
You get to choose one sim that will be used for data (internet). Switching which sim is used for data takes from a few seconds up to a minute, a bit like switching airplane mode on and off.
Once you start a call on one sim, the other sim becomes unavailable.
If you're on a call on the sim that's used for data, you can use data while on call.
If you're on a call on the sim that is not used for data, the data sim becomes unavailable and therefore you get no internet until you end the call.
The Following User Says Thank You to eriol1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eriol1 Ad-Free
22nd January 2020, 06:07 PM |#11974  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriol1

I've got a xiaomi mi5 with lineageos and I'm using 2 sim cards.

The way dual sim works here is as follows:
Both Sims are available to receive calls/sms.
When sending an sms you get to choose which sim to send from.
When making a call you get to choose which sim to call from.
You get to choose one sim that will be used for data (internet). Switching which sim is used for data takes from a few seconds up to a minute, a bit like switching airplane mode on and off.
Once you start a call on one sim, the other sim becomes unavailable.
If you're on a call on the sim that's used for data, you can use data while on call.
If you're on a call on the sim that is not used for data, the data sim becomes unavailable and therefore you get no internet until you end the call.

Exactly the same on my OnePlus 5.
The Following User Says Thank You to 350Rocket For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 350Rocket Ad-Free
22nd January 2020, 06:31 PM |#11975  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:

Looking for new phone, up to £200GBP (UK) with dual sims and an sd card, I would like to have an FM Radio and an IR blaster, plus the usual things (gps, camera, nfc, otg, headphone socket, etc). I plan (at some point, maybe after warranty) to put a custom rom onto it.

The down-side of the Motorola is its hybrid SIM/SD card and it doesn't have an IR blaster. Other than that I think it comes down to how well they work in practice...

I have two sims, a main one with data/voice/sms and another that will be voice/sms (and occasional data standby). I don't want to carry two phones. I've read that dual sim isn't like having 2 phones... one sim may be a "poor relative" of the other and limited to 2G. I can't find definitives on how the dual sim works in these phones. AFAICT they are both "dual standby" but it isn't clear to me whether one of these phones is better than the other for dual sim usage.

On paper, the Note 8T looks like the better choice - and 128GB comes in around the same price as the G8 Plus. So it seems like the better choice.

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...torola_trinket
http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...28gb_m1908c3xg

Appreciate some thoughts, especially around real-world usage of two sim cards...

You could go with Xiaomi Note 8 pro instead. Dual sim, ir blaster, there even a version with 256 gb if you need it. Also has android 10 out of the box, very probably android 11 next year. Haven't had any problem related to the quality of data connection, even when I had 2 sims.

What you would want to search are dual sim dual active smartphones. DSDA Smartphones. The problem is there is quite a small niche for these types of smartphones.

I know it may not count as a solution, but whatsapp does have two whatsapp applications, Whatsapp Messenger and Whatsapp Business. Again, no idea if it will work, you could get a web call from whatsapp business while using the main sim for data.
23rd January 2020, 10:57 PM |#11976  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a smartphone that suits me, but I can't.
I like Note 10 Plus, but not Exynos battery experience... and I came from S7 edge, so there isn't huge gap on photos/camera.
My priority:
Photos,
Battery,
Speed,

S20 Ultra prices seem very high, Oneplus 7T cam not excellent,
I'm very confused.

p.s. Im from Europe.
23rd January 2020, 11:33 PM |#11977  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychok9

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a smartphone that suits me, but I can't.
I like Note 10 Plus, but not Exynos battery experience... and I came from S7 edge, so there isn't huge gap on photos/camera.
My priority:
Photos,
Battery,
Speed,

S20 Ultra prices seem very high, Oneplus 7T cam not excellent,
I'm very confused.

p.s. Im from Europe.

What do you mean you can't?

Also, as a suggestion the Samsung S11, the snapdragon version. The camera seems promising
23rd January 2020, 11:44 PM |#11978  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

What do you mean you can't?

Also, as a suggestion the Samsung S11, the snapdragon version. The camera seems promising

I mean that I really don't know what to do, what is the best for me.
S11/S20 is really promising but seems very expensive.
24th January 2020, 12:02 AM |#11979  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychok9

I mean that I really don't know what to do, what is the best for me.
S11/S20 is really promising but seems very expensive.

Well, I would start by accessing Gsmarena. Go to phone finder. Advanced. Now take a few minutes and think what you want to do with your phone. What features you want to have. How big the battery, how much ram, what price budget. Use your present phone as reference. Come back here when you have a better idea of what you want. Right now it would be impossible to really answer your question since you have no idea what you want
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raresh T For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raresh T Ad-Free
24th January 2020, 12:10 AM |#11980  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,354

Donate to Me
More
I agree with the person above.

GSMArena is a fantastic tool for finding your perfect Android device. It has just about everything, official reviews, comparison tools, user opinions, pictures, guides, tips etc...

Always the first website I use when I have thoughts about my next device, or an additional one.

The Following User Says Thank You to CamoGeko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CamoGeko Ad-Free
25th January 2020, 05:35 PM |#11981  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

Well, I would start by accessing Gsmarena. Go to phone finder. Advanced. Now take a few minutes and think what you want to do with your phone. What features you want to have. How big the battery, how much ram, what price budget. Use your present phone as reference. Come back here when you have a better idea of what you want. Right now it would be impossible to really answer your question since you have no idea what you want

I mean, I want a TOP camera, last longer battery and great software (and Google services).
Mate 30 seems the best, but without GMS, DRM L1, I can't live.
Note 10+ Exynos have a medium battery, not so good, but the price seems a bit high, S10+ is worse and seems to me a bit small (I like big screen).
Xiaomi Series, I really don't know, the camera seems underperform VS other competitors or chipset is disappointing (Mi Note 10).
Oneplus 7T is great, but lacks on camera photo quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGeko

I agree with the person above.

GSMArena is a fantastic tool for finding your perfect Android device. It has just about everything, official reviews, comparison tools, user opinions, pictures, guides, tips etc...

Always the first website I use when I have thoughts about my next device, or an additional one.

I did and thank you for tips, but I still undecided. Today I did a walk for Note 10+ looking for good price without success (under 900 € (-200€ Galaxy days = around 700€).

p.s. Is there a change to buy Mate 30 Pro and flash custom roms with Google Play services? it seems empty, few have purchased it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)