Cover Swap

Search This thread

IronMan1289

Nov 29, 2011
Bakersfield
I have swapped out my black polycarbonate body for the glossy one and have no kind of problems so far! It can be done.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Attachments

• V__A6F1.jpg
    V__A6F1.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 779
  • V__F8CB.jpg
    V__F8CB.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 792
  • V__CCAB.jpg
    V__CCAB.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 673
Last edited:

JuannTwo3

Mar 12, 2012
Where did you get the spare cover(s)? Pictures would be nice

Sent from my Nexus 4

IronMan1289

Nov 29, 2011
Bakersfield
Got it from eBay, from a seller in the UK. Will post pics when I get the chance.

petard

Feb 12, 2006
As long as you get a fully assembled back cover, this is extremely easy to do. There are just two screws at the bottom, remove them and the phone pops right out.

IronMan1289

Nov 29, 2011
Bakersfield
It did not come with the sim tray, but I think thats ok, with the original black tray it still matches the two toned color scheme. Like the black and red for example.
And petard you are misleading others, it is easy to separate the phone yes, but you must be careful when removing the micro-USB ribbon and connector assembly and the wireless charging coil! Other than delicate patience with those parts though, it is pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Anis108 and vnvman

Anis108

Mar 23, 2012
CYAN!

@IronMan1289: Thanks for your explanation!
I was not shure why some sparepart seller say it's difficult and the phone needs some kind of calibration after the cover swap.

Anyway. Did anybody see a cyan cover as a spare part?
I would definitly risk it to change the color.

:)

IronMan1289

Nov 29, 2011
Bakersfield
@IronMan1289: Thanks for your explanation!

I was not shure why some sparepart seller say it's difficult and the phone needs some kind of calibration after the cover swap.

Anyway. Did anybody see a cyan cover as a spare part?

I would definitly risk it to change the color.

:)

No problem! :) But as for the cyan cover, sadly that is an At&t exclusive so for the moment it will be pretty tough for sellers to get their hands on it.

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
I have also done this. Swapped my Cyan for the all elusive grey. We probably bought the covers from the same seller as mine also came from the UK. I did manage to get my hands on the matching sim door as well. I also had to swap the headphone jack, USB ribbon, bottom antenna (the part where the USB ribbon is attached to), and the wireless charging coil like you mentioned from the old housing over to the new one. I also managed to solve the dust getting into the FFC problem with a few dabs of rubber cement where the dust initially enters in. Overall it was simple and looks OEM. Sorry about the bad pics. Used my old G2.

Attachments

• IMG_20130314_061304.jpg
    IMG_20130314_061304.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_20130314_061611.jpg
    IMG_20130314_061611.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20130314_061630.jpg
    IMG_20130314_061630.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_20130314_061641.jpg
    IMG_20130314_061641.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 414
  • WP_20130314_003.jpg
    WP_20130314_003.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

IronMan1289

Nov 29, 2011
Bakersfield
I have also done this. Swapped my Cyan for the all elusive grey. We probably bought the covers from the same seller as mine also came from the UK. I did manage to get my hands on the matching sim door as well. I also had to swap the headphone jack, USB ribbon, bottom antenna (the part where the USB ribbon is attached to), and the wireless charging coil like you mentioned from the old housing over to the new one. I also managed to solve the dust getting into the FFC problem with a few dabs of rubber cement where the dust initially enters in. Overall it was simple and looks OEM. Sorry about the bad pics. Used my old G2.
Great work bud! Does look OEM, but did you not like the Cyan? Or did you just want a color change because I have read a lot that many want at&t's exclusive color, and both times I went they were sold out!!! Lol

Anyway, I am definitely digging the red and may consider buying other colors just for a random change every now and again!!!

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
Great work bud! Does look OEM, but did you not like the Cyan? Or did you just want a color change because I have read a lot that many want at&t's exclusive color, and both times I went they were sold out!!! Lol

Anyway, I am definitely digging the red and may consider buying other colors just for a random change every now and again!!!

Thanks! Yours looks awesome too! The red definitely looks great. Reminds me of a Ferrari lol. Well I got rid of the cyan because I dropped it a few times and the left top corner got bruised up pretty good and it annoyed the crap out of me everytime I picked up my phone. I originally was gonna get the yellow housing but I saw the grey and liked it so much more. I also had that same idea, but I don't wanna keep moving the headphone jack, flex cable, and wireless charging coil everytime I switch housings. I suppose I could buy those parts and pre-install them in the other housing so all I'd have to do is plug in the flex cable and drop the phone in, but I looked it up and all those parts including the new housing came up $166. Just can't justify spending that lol. I actually heard that the cyan was available online only through At&t.

jimmyboggust

Jul 16, 2010
cyan cover

Thanks! Yours looks awesome too! The red definitely looks great. Reminds me of a Ferrari lol. Well I got rid of the cyan because I dropped it a few times and the left top corner got bruised up pretty good and it annoyed the crap out of me everytime I picked up my phone. I originally was gonna get the yellow housing but I saw the grey and liked it so much more. I also had that same idea, but I don't wanna keep moving the headphone jack, flex cable, and wireless charging coil everytime I switch housings. I suppose I could buy those parts and pre-install them in the other housing so all I'd have to do is plug in the flex cable and drop the phone in, but I looked it up and all those parts including the new housing came up $166. Just can't justify spending that lol. I actually heard that the cyan was available online only through At&t.

if anyone has changed their cyan case and is willing to sell it, contact me, i really want a cyan 920, and mine is black!!!!

Nissan350

Aug 11, 2010
Crystal, MN
What did you search on Ebay? I'd like to swap mine for a black cover (going from white) but all I find on the bay is covers, not the original backs.

Looks like they removed them all. At least the ones that come with everything pre-installed already (antennas, camera plate, etc...)

Only one I could find is this one, but it requires a lot more work as you have to transfer everything over from the old housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-New...093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2a7522ad

Good luck if you decide to get it!

MrGreencastle

Oct 25, 2010
Alberta

suprmatt

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like they removed them all. At least the ones that come with everything pre-installed already (antennas, camera plate, etc...)

Only one I could find is this one, but it requires a lot more work as you have to transfer everything over from the old housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-New...093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2a7522ad

Good luck if you decide to get it!

Not sure, but this might be the housing that contains all the components that Nissan350/IronMan1289 used. It costs around $113 (US) and is shipped from the UK...

thefunkaygibbon

Apr 9, 2010
Stafford

Monte2

Apr 20, 2013
quick question

Did you happen to notice if the grey sim tray was a different size than the cyan tray? I swapped my Att black case for a Euro grey case, but my black sim tray will not fit flush in the grey cover.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It did not come with the sim tray, but I think thats ok, with the original black tray it still matches the two toned color scheme. Like the black and red for example.
    And petard you are misleading others, it is easy to separate the phone yes, but you must be careful when removing the micro-USB ribbon and connector assembly and the wireless charging coil! Other than delicate patience with those parts though, it is pretty straight forward.