Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Kr8er

Dec 17, 2012
I need to learn more about kernals... But also, isn't CM12 fairly unstable? I've used CM11 and I was not really a fan.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I need to learn more about kernals... But also, isn't CM12 fairly unstable? I've used CM11 and I was not really a fan.

Kernels are just tweaked portions of coding that enhance your systems performance to do various things such as overclocking your processor to make your device faster, 3g tweaks, 4g tweaks in your case, governor tweaks, sdcard speed boost, faster read/write speeds, just to name a few. Most of the roms you will use (even beanstalk) are CM based with a few tweaks and goodies thrown in, the CM based roms are among the best to use, you can take your pick but if you can find a stable lollipop rom I think you'll like it better.

Last edited:

Kr8er

Dec 17, 2012
You are one very helpful individual! I am going to give BeanStalk Lollipop for d2spr a try! Thank you for all you help! Merry Christmas!

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
You are one very helpful individual! I am going to give BeanStalk Lollipop for d2spr a try! Thank you for all you help! Merry Christmas!

You're welcome, merry christmas.

I'm not sure if sprint has a lollipop rom or not, I don't have sprint so I haven't looked but with d2 series roms usually if one model has a rom then the others usually have one to match it, 4.4.4 liquid or 4.4.4 beanstalk or even 4.4.4PACrom and maybe AOKP (Dirty Unicorns) are usually the best to use if you don't use CM, but there are usually fewer kernels for those roms than kernels for CM, the liquid rom has its own kernel to use with it but there are others you can use, good luck!

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi I bought two tablets CHUWI V17HD RK3188 Quad Core 7 Inch An 4.4 OS 1GB RAM 8GB and installed google play services and then google Play Store but it shut down after second i tried factory reset change wipe data installing older version of store and nothing works any help?
Have you tried going into settings and selecting application manager then finding play services and playstore, clear their defaults then see what happens, if still nothing then go to app manager again and this time try uninstalling them, then boot to recovery and wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache, reboot to system then reinstall play services and playstore and see what happens, if still nothing then you've either got incompatible apps or you have installed a different version than was already there and the two may be conflicting, if you look in your system and if their is a version of play services there that is different than the one you installed yourself then you may just have to update the existing play services instead of installing the one you picked, you may even have to update some of the other google apps because they tend to be tied together and sometimes won't function if there are conflicting versions.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Hello. I have an issue with my lenovo tablet. I use wlan wifi and everything is OK but it always drops after 10/20 minutes. It still says connected but there's no connection. After i turn wifi off and turn it back on again the connection is great again and the same cycle goes over and over again. 10 minutes great studio then no Wi-Fi turning it off and on again great connectivity. It really annoys me when i listen to radio. I am on android 4.4.2 .how can i solve this? Thanks in advance.
See if there are settings for your wifi rescan cycle, or you can try reseting the modem that you are getting wifi from, also check to make sure you don't have a task manager running auto kill in the background, you may have it set to regularly kill running tasks on a timed cycle without even realizing it, auto kill functions can interrupt wifi connectivity, I can't exactly pinpoint your issue because their are more than a few things that can cause these results. That's gonna take trial and error. I wish I could give you a more concrete answer.

Last edited:

vikaseth

Mar 1, 2013
Is there any way to patch the new update to older one because if the games like asphalt 8,which are updated frequently require to download vast amount of data which are problem for a limited data connections.
If any one of reader know this type technique please help me.....
Thanks

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Is there any way to patch the new update to older one because if the games like asphalt 8,which are updated frequently require to download vast amount of data which are problem for a limited data connections.
Thanks

With a game like that, probably not.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Thanks

What exactly is your question? If you are asking if you can play the game without downloading the extra content then no you cannot. If the time and data that it takes to download the additional content after initial installation of the game is a concern or problem for you then just go into town wherever you live and go to one of the fast food places or something like that with free public wifi and then download the additional content.

User17745

Oct 13, 2014
Delhi
Thanks

Well you can actually add an additional patch file to the data of an already installed older version of the game data, that you might find online.
But distribution of such patches is not usually legal, so it would be an act of piracy to use them.

Please note that non of us on the community promote piracy and you are highly recommend to not involve in such acts.

Sent from my A18+ with Tapatalk ^-^

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Well you can actually add an additional patch file to the data of an already installed older version of the game data, that you might find online.
But distribution of such patches is not usually legal, so it would be an act of piracy to use them.

Please note that non of us on the community promote piracy and you are highly recommend to not involve in such acts.

Hmm.., I didn't even consider that he was asking that, my mind doesn't even go there, if I had understood clearer that's exactly what I would have told him, I hope he doesn't try to find and use that, but giving him the idea will probably make him try it. I don't see why he just doesn't download his update from a public wifi source, its much easier that way and doesn't take all the work or risk.

User17745

Oct 13, 2014
Delhi
Hmm.., I didn't even consider that he was asking that, my mind doesn't even go there, if I had understood clearer that's exactly what I would have told him, I hope he doesn't try to find and use that, but giving him the idea will probably make him try it. I don't see why he just doesn't download his update from a public wifi source, its much easier that way and doesn't take all the work or risk.
Yea, even I got it when I read that a second time, the first time I thought that he was asking about some android update and getting it confused with game update, weird ha...[emoji16]

Anyhow, I guess you're right about the second point you made, anyone would.

You see, what I think the problem is, not everyone has such fast food restaurants/other public places which provide high speed Wi-Fi to their customers in their local area.
Even if they do have such places, it's still a drag to roam around the town in search of a good Wi-Fi to download a 1.5 GB file all over again when you can simply download a patch that's much smaller in size sitting at you home, don't you think?

Too bad, piracy is illegal...hehe... But you gotta follow the law. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: vikaseth

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Yea, even I got it when I read that a second time, the first time I thought that he was asking about some android update and getting it confused with game update, wired ha...[emoji16]

You see, what I think the problem is, not everyone has such fast food restaurants/other public places which provide high speed Wi-Fi to their customers in their local area.
Even if they do have such places, it's still a drag to roam around the town in search of a good Wi-Fi to download a 1.5 GB file all over again when you can simply download a patch that's much smaller in size sitting at you home, don't you think?

I know, it sucks when I download large files too but what I usually do is kill two birds with one stone, I go somewhere to sit and eat and talk with friends and while I'm at it I let it download, I do it frequently or I go visit friends or family with unlimited internet, but to each his own, there is always a way if proper thought and planning are applied. Truth be told, just about everything I have done with my devices has mostly been done through my phones mobile data and I've done A LOT, I always go over my data limit in just a week or two and then I get throttled (sucks), I've had to wait hours, even overnight and the next day for my downloads to finish, I've waited hours for downloads only to have it fail when its almost done and have to start over, it takes patience and determination but it gets me there.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Yea, even I got it when I read that a second time, the first time I thought that he was asking about some android update and getting it confused with game update, weird ha...[emoji16]

There's always the option of having a friend with the same game transfer the patch to his device, I bluetooth data and apps between my devices all the time.

User17745

Oct 13, 2014
Delhi
I know, it sucks when I download large files too but what I usually do is kill two birds with one stone, I go somewhere to sit and eat and talk with friends and while I'm at it I let it download, I do it frequently or I go visit friends or family with unlimited internet, but to each his own, there is always a way if proper thought and planning are applied. Truth be told, just about everything I have done with my devices has mostly been done through my phones mobile data and I've done A LOT, I always go over my data limit in just a week or two and then I get throttled (sucks), I've had to wait hours, even overnight and the next day for my downloads to finish, I've waited hours for downloads only to have it fail when its almost done and have to start over, it takes patience and determination but it gets me there.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

There's always the option of having a friend with the same game transfer the patch to his device, I bluetooth data and apps between my devices all the time.
Last minute download failure are the worst, you feel betrayed [emoji37] .
But I think we've gotten far enough from the topic [emoji28] .
Anyways, thanks for your helpful words [emoji4] .

May 11, 2014
They might do it for you but I doubt it if the device or service account were in your name, you may have to do it yourself, it would be better for you to ask T-mobile for a definite answer, they may say that they'll do it but want the existing account to be paid in full and cleared before they do it, as far as doing it yourself there are probably instructions here on XDA if you search for "how to unlock galaxy note 2 (your device model number)" it should give you directions.

I went to my local T-Mobile Store and they said they can't unlock it. Luckily for me, the phone checks out well (IMEI isn't blocked). I went and searched up how to unlock this phone and I'm following this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2176721

Thing is, this only works if the phone has Android version 4.1.1. I'm on 4.1.2. So, I have to downgrade through ODIN. Well, I ran into another problem while doing that today.
This is the message that I get when I try to flash 4.1.1:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> KIES_HOME_T889UVALL4_T889TMBALL4_598701_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need the PIT file? I've maybe done this process about ten times already , but I still get the same result. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

bigbabo

Apr 22, 2009
I would say bad download file could be wrong try to find another source for you file and download it

MY NOTE 3 BETTA THAN YOURZ ?

User17745

Oct 13, 2014
Delhi
I went to my local T-Mobile Store and they said they can't unlock it. Luckily for me, the phone checks out well (IMEI isn't blocked). I went and searched up how to unlock this phone and I'm following this thread:

Thing is, this only works if the phone has Android version 4.1.1. I'm on 4.1.2. So, I have to downgrade through ODIN. Well, I ran into another problem while doing that today.
Added!!
Enter CS for MD5..
Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
Please wait..
KIES_HOME_T889UVALL4_T889TMBALL4_598701_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
Leave CS..
Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..

Removed!!
Get PIT for mapping..
There is no PIT partition.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need the PIT file? I've maybe done this process about ten times already , but I still get the same result. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Are you used to odin?

I personally have never had a Samsung, therefore I've never used Odin myself and I might not be the best person to offer an advice but this is what I know:

You need a .pit file if the ROM that you're trying to flash needs to change your device's partition layout, that's actually something most of the ROMs don't require.

So if Odin says that it needs the .pit file that should mean that your downgrade needs to change the partition layout but the .pit file is not present.

So basically what you need to do is to provide the .pit file that came specifically with your downgrade package, also the reparation check box is needed to be checked in the Odin.

If the ROM doesn't require to change the partition layout and you carry this operation then it's going to be DEATH TRAP for your device.
So don't do anything that you're not sure about.

My advice is that it's better if you search for proper instructions to downgrade you're device and then carry out the operation.
Best of luck :)

My source of information:
Once I tried upgradings my sister's Tab 1 from Froyo to Gingerbread and that's when I collected all this info (although, I couldn't get my hands on the tab later on :/)

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I would say bad download file could be wrong try to find another source for you file and download it

MY NOTE 3 BETTA THAN YOURZ ?
+1

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> KIES_HOME_T889UVALL4_T889TMBALL4_598701_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Why is it saying removed just before giving the PIT error? That indicates that connection was interrupted before it searched for the PIT, I've never had that happen to me.

May 11, 2014
I'm not sure at all. Everything is connected fine. I've even also tried with USB debugging on, if that makes a difference. Then again, it could be a bad file. But I've spent hours searching on xda and Google for another one. Maybe someone has a link I can go to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts