[APP] DSPManager - Improve Audio

Search This thread

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
So XDA comminty is always helpful and now it's my turn to try and give something back.

Dr.Dre feat DSPManager

first thing to do is download DSPmanager (attached to this post).

Install

Stock / non rooted phones

download and install DSPManager2.apk

Just installing the .apk seems to be causing a force close when editing the EQ for some people so stick to presets and all should be well.

CWM

download DSPManager-v3.zip put on to your SD and flash.

This also installs /system/lib/soundfx/ files from cm9 ROM for HTC one x - thanks to TripnRaver and also adds system/etc/audio_effects taken from DPS v1 fix for ICS

IF you do not wish to see a tutorial/ how I set dps up on my phone skip the rest of this post.

once installed open it up :)

first on the list is to move over to the headset tab, swipe left to right.

first option we need to set is Bass Boost

bassme.png

i set mine to Moderate as my headphones can't take extreme but set this to either Moderate/Extreme

next is to set the equalizer.

equp.png

For this i picked Rock, reason being, as you can see it that it boosts the bass leaves the mids in the middle and brings out the highs so even when your eyes turn to water from the bass you can still hear that hi-hat ting and fizz

if you really feel the above two just don't make your brain turn to mush enough then you can set the "Loudness compensation" when using this setting change the EQ to treble boost and then use the Bass Boost to add back in the low end.

Hope this is at least a bit helpful to you guys remember this is just my settings play about with the options till you get the sound thats right for you.

Change Log

v3 - added system/etc/audio_effects - Fixes FC on custom EQ

v2 - Added sys/libs/soundfx/
libaudiopreprocessing.so
libbundlewrapper.so
libcyanogen-dsp.so
libreverbwrapper.so
libvisualizer.so

v1 - DSPManger.apk

Disclaimer

I'm not going to take any responsibility if you bust your ear drums/headphones/ windows/other household items. Although making the cat jump from the bass cannon is totally my fault..

i didn't make this app it is part of the CyanogenMod

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/features/dsp-equalizer

Attachments

• DSPManager2.apk
    175.3 KB · Views: 4,135
  • DSPmanager-v2.zip
    338.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • DSPmanager-v3.zip
    340 KB · Views: 6,966
Last edited:

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
If you want to improve it even more, take a CM9 ROM and rip the 6 files in "system/soundfx" and push them to your One X.
I think this messes up Beats a little bit, but it makes the EQ much more effective :)
I moved the "libcyanogen-dsp.so" too, no idea if it actually does anything on a none-CM ROM, but it can't hurt I guess :p

(There was also some other files I messed with, but I can't remember which they were. I think I may have ripped the "system/etc/audio_effects.conf" from CM9 too)

Reactions: zola.zx

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
If you want to improve it even more, take a CM9 ROM and rip the 6 files in "system/soundfx" and push them to your One X.
I think this messes up Beats a little bit, but it makes the EQ much more effective :)
I moved the "libcyanogen-dsp.so" too, no idea if it actually does anything on a none-CM ROM, but it can't hurt I guess :p

(There was also some other files I messed with, but I can't remember which they were. I think I may have ripped the "system/etc/audio_effects.conf" from CM9 too)

I'll have a zip i got from testing the ICS version it didn't work but it left system/lib/soundfx/libcyanogen-dsp.so, it works without or without this file as far as i can tell :S

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: zola.zx

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
I own a pair of bests pros and part of the reason I bought this phone is because of the bests audio. I know many people have there opinion on bests but all I listen to is old school hip hop and I love bass. I thought the bass was amazing on this phone but with this there's like twice as much!! Good shout man

r0cafella

Apr 15, 2011
even works on stock roms.

and here's me thinking DSP Manager doesn't work on stock roms!

Fruktsallad

May 15, 2011
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but why can't I install downloaded apks like this one when low (27%) on battery? Unknown sources are enabled of course, but nothing happens when I hit install in the dialogue...

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but why can't I install downloaded apks like this one when low (27%) on battery? Unknown sources are enabled of course, but nothing happens when I hit install in the dialogue...

I have no idea why it should stop you :/ have you tried restarting?

DJ Set

Apr 15, 2012
Works perfectly for me on Stock phone. Thanks for this tool, I really like it :)

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Works perfectly for me on Stock phone. Thanks for this tool, I really like it :)

glad it works on stock :) i'm not running it so i had no way to test i just assumed it did lol :) i'm currently as Meltus suggested and pulling the sound files from the HOX cm 9 ROM and going to test as soon as this download finishes :)

shangostar

May 11, 2011
Just flashed V2 in CWM and still force close on custom EQ, everything else works though

1.28.401.9 Bindroid.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Just flashed V2 in CWM and still force close on custom EQ, everything else works though

1.28.401.9 Bindroid.

Then I'm not sure I don't have any force closes on mine :/ try clearing the data and fixing permissions.

Edit: been looking around Xda looks like this version of dps is a bit hit and miss some people get fc some don't, the old version doesn't fc but also doesn't have any effect on music. I will keep an eye out for if it gets fixed.

Until then I'm afraid manually adjusting eq is a no no :(

Last edited:
Reactions: shangostar

UnixxinU

Apr 9, 2012
Hey sorry for the ultra noob question but how do I "flash" the thing you said to flash?

I'm on stock rom, thanks!

Ppain

Apr 10, 2012
Wellington
Bass boost increases bass but dulls treble etc alot. I enable compression extreme, rock equilizer and studio for room enhancements, sounds crazy on my beats studio with the beats audio+dsp thanks for linking dsp2 :) i installed dsp1 that worked but this works 3-5times better quality to me

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Bass boost increases bass but dulls treble etc alot. I enable compression extreme, rock equilizer and studio for room enhancements, sounds crazy on my beats studio with the beats audio+dsp thanks for linking dsp2 :) i installed dsp1 that worked but this works 3-5times better quality to me

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Yeh bass does mess up treble sometimes I was playing music through my turtle beach x41 and I had to turn bass boost off as it was cutting out the music with every kick of the bass lol.

knave

Mar 28, 2007
does this work on top of Beats or just disable all default EQ settings and just set the options in the DSP manager?

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

does this work on top of Beats or just disable all default EQ settings and just set the options in the DSP manager?
ok to answer my question, yes it works on top of the existing modes.

Having a headache now from all those testing of the effects. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So XDA comminty is always helpful and now it's my turn to try and give something back.

Dr.Dre feat DSPManager

first thing to do is download DSPmanager (attached to this post).

Install

Stock / non rooted phones

download and install DSPManager2.apk

Just installing the .apk seems to be causing a force close when editing the EQ for some people so stick to presets and all should be well.

CWM

download DSPManager-v3.zip put on to your SD and flash.

This also installs /system/lib/soundfx/ files from cm9 ROM for HTC one x - thanks to TripnRaver and also adds system/etc/audio_effects taken from DPS v1 fix for ICS

IF you do not wish to see a tutorial/ how I set dps up on my phone skip the rest of this post.

once installed open it up :)

first on the list is to move over to the headset tab, swipe left to right.

first option we need to set is Bass Boost

bassme.png

i set mine to Moderate as my headphones can't take extreme but set this to either Moderate/Extreme

next is to set the equalizer.

equp.png

For this i picked Rock, reason being, as you can see it that it boosts the bass leaves the mids in the middle and brings out the highs so even when your eyes turn to water from the bass you can still hear that hi-hat ting and fizz

if you really feel the above two just don't make your brain turn to mush enough then you can set the "Loudness compensation" when using this setting change the EQ to treble boost and then use the Bass Boost to add back in the low end.

Hope this is at least a bit helpful to you guys remember this is just my settings play about with the options till you get the sound thats right for you.

Change Log

v3 - added system/etc/audio_effects - Fixes FC on custom EQ

v2 - Added sys/libs/soundfx/
    libaudiopreprocessing.so
    libbundlewrapper.so
    libcyanogen-dsp.so
    libreverbwrapper.so
    libvisualizer.so

v1 - DSPManger.apk

Disclaimer

I'm not going to take any responsibility if you bust your ear drums/headphones/ windows/other household items. Although making the cat jump from the bass cannon is totally my fault..

i didn't make this app it is part of the CyanogenMod

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/features/dsp-equalizer
    # oneX
    # Rom maXimus v2.0
    # DSP v3
    # HTC music Player

# Musical type : Hip Hop - R'n'B

Damn, m8... awesome, finally i can manage to solve Beats Xtra bass effect... i can hear voice much better...
    Added bass effect on headset - perso profil based on Rock with mofification... tried some music sample...

all i can say, pretty good to hear music in this configuration...

Glad it works I've just noticed dynamic compression isn't working (just makes it louder ) so once I get living sorted out ill get on the case.

Also been looking into the audio stuff around so maybe get more things added.

Edit: been looking at some mods for the speaker and what not, will be seeing if I can get some more volume out of it / headphones maybe boost incall volume if I can as I've seen it being an issue for some people.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app

I'll have a zip i got from testing the ICS version it didn't work but it left system/lib/soundfx/libcyanogen-dsp.so, it works without or without this file as far as i can tell :S

I confirm it works on ARHD 12. Didn't try the options yet but it is there.

*EDIT* Tested and I can confirm everything's working fine in ARHD12. Just flash the latest one.

And the latest one is version 3 yes?

*EDIT* - Yes, Version 3 does work with ARHD 12... and my god does it sound good mixed with Beats =) MOAR BAASSSSSSS