[HOW TO] Root/update/ your Australian Xoom

Search This thread

tromboc

Dec 11, 2010
Nambour
Ok, So I fixed this it seems. It was that bat Build prop causing the boot loop.

However, now it's happening again. I made the mistake of trying a different framework file (which was meant to force the browser into desktop all the time). And it gave me bootloop. So I reflashed 3.1 etc, and tried again. It loaded (without Telstra service again), so again I repushed the frankenrom build prop (which had worked previously) and the connectivity settings. But again bootloop...I can't get my tab to be alive and have telstra connectivity :(

EDIT: Thought after reflashing I may have been missing the Wipe data/factory reset step, but did the whole process again, and still no luck!

It's so strange! I can get into the OS without Telstra connection, but once I push those settings it boot loops?! Is there anything else I can try?

Are you sure you are using the correct settings files and build prop? using the stock files will think you are on verizon and say "searching for service..." and using bad files will throw you into bootloop.

I had both issues, and was fixed by repeating the 3.1 update, flashing the bootloader patch immediately as suggested, reboot into fastboot and then pushing the settings files and frankenrom build.prop

let me know how you go

Reactions: Ronald.Carter

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
Tromboc, please PM me to let me know when you reach the required number of posts and I'll move this into development. Until then, I don't want to move the guide into development, as we want to make sure you're still able to post in it. Until then, I am stickying this so that it doesn't get lost.

Thanks for your excellent work.

Reactions: koolmoedee1000

scrytch

Feb 26, 2009
Question - where will this leave us when the next update comes out? On our own hacking in 3.2 or will OTA work?

Also - is it possible to take info from the Telstra Xoom 3.01 build.prop and apply to the Franken one so it still acts like an Australian Xoom?

Thanks,
Shane.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

tromboc

Dec 11, 2010
Nambour
Question - where will this leave us when the next update comes out? On our own hacking in 3.2 or will OTA work?

Also - is it possible to take info from the Telstra Xoom 3.01 build.prop and apply to the Franken one so it still acts like an Australian Xoom?

Thanks,
Shane.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Interesting question. Honestly, the way things are going, by the time 3.2 gets released as FOTA for Australian devices, android 4 should be hitting our shores and xooms will be old news.

Anyway the question still stands, firstly seeing as you were technically minded enough to update your Xoom this time, we should have no problem with 3.2 using the same methods. I dont see FOTA applying as we are seen on the network as US devices and we are neither on the US network nor supported devices on our networks. Hey... id love to be wrong :)

The real question is who is going back to stock when 3.1 gets released as FOTA in Australia and then re-rooting, and can we? Find out he hard way...

About the build prop, I'm going to spend some time experimenting and crashing my Xoom tomorrow night so ill let you know what I come up with. I will have access soon to fresh xooms from work (Telstra) in case of emergency.

Cheers I hoped this thread would help someone

EMupp

Jun 2, 2011
Can anyone provide a better guide to what to do in 3.2? I've been able to follow everything up to that point with no issues at all but 3.2 is very vauge, it gives no instruction on how to do anything.

Everything before this point was very easy to follow.

This is what I'm refering to btw:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

EDIT: Got it mostly working but am stuck in boot loop after pushing settings, trying again.

Last edited:

abbaskip

Oct 6, 2010
Are you sure you are using the correct settings files and build prop? using the stock files will think you are on verizon and say "searching for service..." and using bad files will throw you into bootloop.

I had both issues, and was fixed by repeating the 3.1 update, flashing the bootloader patch immediately as suggested, reboot into fastboot and then pushing the settings files and frankenrom build.prop

let me know how you go

I sorted it out. The Verizon boot image wasn't flashing from CWM properly, on restart, it kept saying unsigned boot image. So I pushed it from a DB and all was fine.

adamtuba

Dec 4, 2010
Brisbane
Can anyone provide a better guide to what to do in 3.2? I've been able to follow everything up to that point with no issues at all but 3.2 is very vauge, it gives no instruction on how to do anything.

Everything before this point was very easy to follow.

section 3.2 is really just part of 3.1 (just follow the instructions on the http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089695 page of which flashing honeycomb is one of the steps).

tromboc

Dec 11, 2010
Nambour
new build.prop

NEW BUILD.PROP FIXES MARKET LOCATION

Here's a modified build.prop that makes the xoom think its australian and released on Telstra. download, add build.modified to same folder as adb.exe and run cmd

adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup (you never can be too safe)

adb remount

adb push build.modified /system/build.prop

adb reboot

check out the market... (still called shop, working on that)

Attachments

• build.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 85

Ronald.Carter

May 29, 2010
Geelong
I am tempted to take the plunge to root and update my Telstra Xoom many becouse I want sd card and ntfs multiple usb host. However I am hesitant becouse I don't want to brick my Xoom? And i am wondering about the future with 3.2 and ICS later this year and the inability to relock the device so far?

Sent from my MZ601 using XDA Premium App

tromboc

Dec 11, 2010
Nambour
Yeah kind of, I have root and was able to update 3.1 fine but got the boot loop issue when I pushed the 3G settings files. Still not really sure what I did wrong.

in between updating to 3.1 and pushing the settings files, were you able to boot?

if not, try updating to 3.1 again following all update steps and try booting

if it boots, then push settings files and see what happens

EMupp

Jun 2, 2011
in between updating to 3.1 and pushing the settings files, were you able to boot?

if not, try updating to 3.1 again following all update steps and try booting

if it boots, then push settings files and see what happens

Yeah, I was able to boot into 3.1 ok, it was after pusing the files that the boot loop occoured. I'll try again tongiht and see how it goes.

Thanks.

zbee

Oct 25, 2006
just a heads up, i used the telstra stock image and they have locked the apn section down, i found the best is the euro image using the telstra files here. the aussie image defaults to telstra.iph so higher data usage costs, best is telstra.internet

adamtuba

Dec 4, 2010
Brisbane
just a heads up, i used the telstra stock image and they have locked the apn section down, i found the best is the euro image using the telstra files here. the aussie image defaults to telstra.iph so higher data usage costs, best is telstra.internet

Not sure what you mean by higher data costs. The apn doesn't change the cost of the data, it's just charged at the normal rate of your data plan. Have a look at this post over on the t-mod forum by an actual Telstra tech regarding the different apn settings too http://www.t-mod.org/?p=238#comment-594

The important bit being:

What’s the APN for in Telstra?

Telstra APNs are:

• telstra.wap. (Wireless Application Protocol)

A WAP browser is a commonly used web browser for small mobile devices such as cell phones. This is for older phones, don’t use on your fancy HTC desire.
It render screens for old Nokia phones etc. So if you surf the web on the old phone Telstra will attempt to display the pages as best we can on the device you are using. It provides access to the internet but is routed through the Telstra proxy and TSDP. This also authenticates you so we can give you access to any “stuff” you may have purchased off us. This means that using this APN in combination with the Telstra proxy allows a customer to access and purchase BigPond content.

• telstra.iph ( iphone, well they were first )

Has the same functionality as telstra.wap but for iPhone / Android users. It will give you access to Telstra content like Foxtel as in authenticates you. It will display web pages cleanly.

• telstra.blackberry

Has the same functionality as telstra.wap but for BlackBerry.

• telstra.mms

This network connects to our Multimedia Messaging Service servers.

• telstra.internet

This network does not do through of any of our very expensive kit to provide you with the best render pages we can give you. It also does not allow you to use and of our content such as foxtel. It meant to be a dump pipe for the wireless USB modems.

adamtuba

Dec 4, 2010
Brisbane
Also what's the difference between the euro image and the one I've been using (I believe it's the Verizon one)? Is it worth a re-flash? And I'm assuming I'll lose all data again if I do?

zbee

Oct 25, 2006
as to data usage in my work the apn definatly makes a differenc and telstra.internet has the least latency etc, we have done extensive testing also the .iph pipe is also heavily throttlred. the telstra.internet pipe is much much more stable...again from real world serios testing. i work in broadcast and this area has been tested by most of us broadcast engineers. i found the euro image has less crap and as mentioned you have full access to the apn area....wow just noted how long i have been a member here:) this is all anecdotal realworld testing

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WANT TO ROOT YOUR AUSSIE NEXT G XOOM?

Firstly, I know this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I dont have enough XDA posts to put anything in the developement section. DEAL WITH IT :)

DISCLAIMER - I am not a developer or active XDA forum poster, I am a forum reader and user. The reason for this post is a lack of information regarding AUSTRALIAN Xoom rooting and updating on XDA (correct me if im wrong). This information is gathered from multiple different sources and I DONT TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THEIR HARD WORK, nor do I take any responsibility for their instructions. Everything here is their work, however please follow the links for a more up to date process. Therefore take this information with a grain of salt, I have, however, seen it work on 4 Xoom's so far with 100% success. These instructions assume you can use adb, fastboot, and clockworkmod and assume you know that all warranty is voided by doing any of this.

Now, for the nice bit...

Do you have an Australian Xoom with 3G and wondering what to do about Verizon, US, EURO, UK, 3G, 4G, WIFI only, etc?? you want a forum that says OZ dont you? you want to ROOT YOUR XOOM!

Firstly from what I can tell our model is very similar if not identical to the UK model in that they provide 3G (Telstra Next G for us) connection. The US models dont have sim cards and access the network differently, so some of their processes and information will not apply to us, neither will all the UK information. So to save you some time, here is a collaboration of my findings after hours of web searching and flashing, re-flashing, etc.

Step 1 - Root it

[GUIDE] XOOM 3G Euro Root Instructions + Files.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1049901

This link and all associated files work perfectly to root your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 2 - ClockworkMod Recovery

[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.0.2.8 Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 5/13]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074979

Again, this works perfectly, and gives you SD access and a really easy way to flash your OZ-Spec Xoom

Step 3 - Honeycomb 3.1 Update

Step 3

Firstly need to backup some important telstra related files

adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal settings.db-wal
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm settings.db-shm
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db telephony.db
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal telephony.db-journal

[UPDATE][HC3.1] Wifi and 3G! Completely Flashable! No Fastboot Needed!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

Follow the link to update your device. After updating, extract the attached zip to your adb.exe folder and run command prompt.

adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup ##cant be too safe##
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb push settings.db-wal /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-wal
    adb push settings.db-shm /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db-shm
    adb push telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
    adb push telephony.db-journal /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal

This will get you 3.1 and still working on the Telstra network and thinking its australian again.

Step 4 - Tiamat Kernel

[KERNEL][AOSP][HC3.1] Tiamat Riptide Special Edition 1.4.2 [Update: 5/21]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=978013

This is where those kickass quadrant scores come from. Follow instructions per usual for OZ-Spec. Dont forget to flash the new bootloader first.

tada!... a rooted Aussie Xoom running HC3.1 AND Tiamat kernel AND ClockworkMod AND 3G

Thankyou to the originators of the instructions found here.
    Followed these same steps yesterday and can vouch that they work great.

Cheers

(Also long time reader, first time poster)
    new build.prop

NEW BUILD.PROP FIXES MARKET LOCATION

Here's a modified build.prop that makes the xoom think its australian and released on Telstra. download, add build.modified to same folder as adb.exe and run cmd

adb pull /system/build.prop build.backup (you never can be too safe)

adb remount

adb reboot

check out the market... (still called shop, working on that)
    I think that step was supposed to point to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089695 (which is actually the most important page to read)
    try turning on Android Debugging mode, but I don't think this will help recovering your pictures.