HTC Evo 3D Screen Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
This is an LCD issue. You can check the LCD flex cable to see if it securely connected. If that does not work then you will need a new LCD to fix the back light issue.

KL45SiiK

Dec 30, 2011

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Hello,
You said that one of the ribbon cables had a hole in it. This could be the LCD flex cable. Since there is an issue with the display then I would suggest replacing the LCD. This can be found on our website.

ronilzizou

Mar 18, 2011
Hello guys I need some help... Can you guys identify what's wrong with my phone... all of a sudden my phone just stopped booting up.... only the capacitive buttons stay on...

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l72rgerb3onpvwl/VIDEO0047.3gp

i made a thread in the Q&A http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620865

From the helpof some people i'm sure there's some type of screen issue but i don't know what it is. Please help me identify the problem guys.

So basically you cant see anything on your screen as it remains off but capacitive buttons work. And ADB recognises the device.

Have you tried taking the phone apart to check if the LCD ribbon is connected properly cause that's all I can think off for you to do since everything else is exhausted.
This will void warranty though so make sure you want to go ahead with it.

Or you could just give it back to wherever you got it from and see if they can get the phone fixed or replaced for you. Try running a RUU again to go back to stock.

catdeerduck

Sep 15, 2010
Hi guys was wondering if you guys could help me.

I dropped my evo 3d today and the screen cracked :(. The phone still works properly but the screen is cracked. It has like a spider web look..looks cool tbh lol. Should I order a replacement digitizer or a replacement LCD Screen?

KL45SiiK

Dec 30, 2011
So basically you cant see anything on your screen as it remains off but capacitive buttons work. And ADB recognises the device.

Have you tried taking the phone apart to check if the LCD ribbon is connected properly cause that's all I can think off for you to do since everything else is exhausted.
This will void warranty though so make sure you want to go ahead with it.

Or you could just give it back to wherever you got it from and see if they can get the phone fixed or replaced for you. Try running a RUU again to go back to stock.

Adb does recognize the device and I can't run ruu.... I tried and its a no go.... As far as opening goes which one is the LCD ribbon and is it hard to remove/repair???

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

ronilzizou

Mar 18, 2011
Adb does recognize the device and I can't run ruu.... I tried and its a no go.... As far as opening goes which one is the LCD ribbon and is it hard to remove/repair???

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Its not hard at all: Here's a good video that i followed to open up the device: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqJy6PL6Xs

I don't think it's worth it replacing the LCD if it is faulty since its like £80 quid or there abouts. You'd rather send it to HTC just saying the screen stopped working and let them fix it, i think they'll charge about the same.

Also if ADB doesn't recognise the device, maybe there's something wrong elsewhere but not with the screen....

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys was wondering if you guys could help me.

I dropped my evo 3d today and the screen cracked :(. The phone still works properly but the screen is cracked. It has like a spider web look..looks cool tbh lol. Should I order a replacement digitizer or a replacement LCD Screen?

Hi,

This is a common issue following a drop or knock. You will need the replacement touch screen digitizer. You can find it here - HTC EVO 3D Touch Screen

Reactions: fourstar89

kaosb0x

May 6, 2011
Grand Cane
I just saved $50

Thanks, this is badass, saves me $50 and now I can repair friend's phones for a small fee when they break the screen :p

Garrytheogre

Dec 5, 2010
perhaps you can answer my question.
I purchased a replacement loud speaker for my GSM evo 3d. and the one I received does not fit my phone (its thicker and has a different number on it)
The company claims it the right speaker for the evo 3d . So I was wondering if you have come across more than one loud speaker revision for the evo 3d?

DLM2583

Feb 14, 2012
laval qc
my phone dosent have any contact near the bottom of the screen its not cracked or anything does that mean its just the digitizer or could it be the lcd i want to replace it whatever it is just need confermation on whats the right part to by thanks
i own an evo 3d i have seen that it happens to alot of these phones

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
my phone dosent have any contact near the bottom of the screen its not cracked or anything does that mean its just the digitizer or could it be the lcd i want to replace it whatever it is just need confermation on whats the right part to by thanks
i own an evo 3d i have seen that it happens to alot of these phones

Do you mean the touch screen isn't responding near the bottom? If so then you just need the touch screen digitizer replacement which you can find here - HTC EVO 3D Touch Screen Digitizer replacement

pumamane

Sep 18, 2010
Anti-static

I read that it is advisable to perform a screen/digitizer replacement using an anti-static pad or other grounding method so that you reduce the risk of shorting the internal components....much like is recommended when working inside of a laptop/desktop

DLM2583

Feb 14, 2012
laval qc

sudsie

May 10, 2012
Non 3d replacement screen?

Thanks for the awesome thread.

Just curious if there is a non 3d replacement screen available for the Evo 3d that is brighter and with better viewing angles.

aceking

Aug 14, 2009
Hi everyone,
just a quick question, I bought a lcd+touch combo for my Evo3d to replace and it was very hard for me to get the lcd out from the housing, was glued into it. Now do I need some adhesive to hold the lcd+touch combo in the housing? I think so because its falling out if I turn it over, there is nothing to hold it in the housing. And if yes which adhesive do I need?

Thanks,
ace

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has the outer touch screen been cracked or damaged on your HTC Evo 3D? Is the inner display LCD not functioning properly or become damaged? Or are you just curious of the disassembly process on the Evo 3D? This written repair guide will walk you through all the steps required to disassemble your Evo 3D and repair a damaged screen or other internal parts in a safe, quick manner.

This guide will help you install the following HTC Evo 3D replacement part (s):

• HTC Evo 3D Touch Screen Digitizer
    • HTC Evo 3D LCD Display Screen
    • HTC Evo 3D Full Housing Assembly
    • HTC Evo 3D Ear Speaker
    • HTC Evo 3D Loud Speaker
    • And Other HTC Evo 3D Replacement Parts

Tools Required:

• Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • T3 Torx Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips (For Touch Screen Replacements)
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC Evo 3D take apart repair guide:

• Separate the back housing cover from the face of the phone with fingers (just as you would to replace the battery). Then remove the battery and set aside.
    • Using a the T5 screwdriver, remove the two center edge screws just above where the battery was located.
    • Then, you will use the T3 screwdriver to remove the four corner screws at the edge of the phone. Set all screws aside.
    • Using the pry tool, slide it into the seam and separate the face of the phone from the back housing as shown in figure 1.

evo3d-1-complete.jpg
    Figure 1​

• Using the pry tool and nippers, carefully lift and separate all clips and cables that are holding the motherboard in place. These will often appear as flat pieces of metal, but are sometimes an actual ribbon, such as the camera ribbon cable.
    • Remove the yellow tape that will reveal two additional cables that are tucked into the motherboard. By using nippers, you can slide these out without damaging them.
    • The last connective piece looks like an L-shaped piece of metal, as shown in figure 2. Separate this piece carefully.

evo3d-2-complete.jpg
    Figure 2​

• Carefully separate the motherboard, as it will still be connected underneath by several cables. Two of these cables are located together, and can be removed after lifting the cover tape to reveal the connection spot, as shown in figure 3.

evo3d-3-complete.jpg

Figure 3​

• After disconnecting these two cables, you can disconnect the smaller one on the other end in the same manner. Now you can safely remove the motherboard and set aside.
    • Remove four screws that are located at the edge of the phone with your T5 screwdriver, and lift out the cable.
    • The bottom blue flex cable can be removed by slowly separating all extending cables connected to it. Demonstrated in figure 4.

evo3d-4-complete.jpg
    Figure 4​

• If you are replacing the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen solely, you will want to continue in the take-apart process by using your hot air gun or hair dryer to heat up the phone’s glue.
    • Using your pry tool, you can safely slide it around the seam of the screen to be able to remove the touch screen digitizer from the LCD screen, allowing you to replace either of these parts individually.

Now you will be able to replace any parts on your HTC Evo 3D. Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
    Guide stuck!

Thanks for compiling all this information. It is always good to have this kind of information handy.
    have to post 10 times

Have to report this post. :banghead:

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the awesome thread.

Just curious if there is a non 3d replacement screen available for the Evo 3d that is brighter and with better viewing angles.

Doubt it. Dont think thats possible.

Hi everyone,
    just a quick question, I bought a lcd+touch combo for my Evo3d to replace and it was very hard for me to get the lcd out from the housing, was glued into it. Now do I need some adhesive to hold the lcd+touch combo in the housing? I think so because its falling out if I turn it over, there is nothing to hold it in the housing. And if yes which adhesive do I need?

Thanks,
    ace

You do need adhesive to hold the screen and digitizer. I used this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180836472...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2404wt_1037
    Cut it out to little strips and apply. There's also this video that shows how its done: Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqJy6PL6Xs Go to about 26:36.
    Pretty easy doing it, just get the strips the right size, if it sticks out abit e.g over the edge of the housing, when you put everything together, and look at the screen, you'll see the adhesive sticking out and its a pain to clean/cut it out again