Ubuntu Touch Xoom Port

Search This thread

skippyishappy

Jan 30, 2008
Built it and working fine now. With CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK unset I can use browser and other network apps without problem. However the usability is not good at current stage.

Great. Agreed on the usability at this stage. It would be helpful to the terminal usable on the device. What other changes did you have to make in order to build with CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK unset?

dreamcwli

Feb 23, 2010
Taipei
Great. Agreed on the usability at this stage. It would be helpful to the terminal usable on the device. What other changes did you have to make in order to build with CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK unset?

Check security/commoncap.c in the kernel source tree and comment "#ifdef CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK" and corresponding "#endif". Did you have block texts in your main screen?

Reactions: skippyishappy

darksnoopy

Feb 22, 2012
I have some problems setting the developer enviroment, thus i cant use ubuntu_chroot to change screen-pixel settings (linux noob)

skippyishappy

Jan 30, 2008
I have some problems setting the developer enviroment, thus i cant use ubuntu_chroot to change screen-pixel settings (linux noob)

Once you have the tablet booting up, you can use any Mac/Linux/Windows machine that has adb to access it.

From the shell on your local machine:
Code:
$ adb root
restarting adbd as root
$ adb shell

After the 'adb shell' command you are now using the shell on the device:
Code:
root@android:/ # ubuntu_chroot shell
root@localhost:/# ls /
bin   dev   lib    opt   run      srv        system  var
boot  etc   media  proc  sbin     SWAP.swap  tmp     vendor
data  home  mnt    root  selinux  sys        usr
root@localhost:/#

Reactions: oscillot

mikedmor

Feb 11, 2010
Ok so i just installed the files in the op. Everything starts up just fine,

Here are a few things that i notice:
Some fonts are not showing correctly
When trying to type my network password i can only press keys that are over the network pull down (other wise it closes the pull down)

Not sure if the multitasking is new in this build but it launches automatically sometimes and freezes the tablet every time.

I have a modified quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip, that i can't upload yet (post count only at 9), that doesn't require you to do the last step in the op. Once I get the privileges i will share a link. For now just PM me.

darksnoopy

Feb 22, 2012
Once you have the tablet booting up, you can use any Mac/Linux/Windows machine that has adb to access it.

From the shell on your local machine:
Code:
$ adb root
restarting adbd as root
$ adb shell

After the 'adb shell' command you are now using the shell on the device:
Code:
root@android:/ # ubuntu_chroot shell
root@localhost:/# ls /
bin   dev   lib    opt   run      srv        system  var
boot  etc   media  proc  sbin     SWAP.swap  tmp     vendor
data  home  mnt    root  selinux  sys        usr
root@localhost:/#
Thanks a lot!

This is a modified version of quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip. People can use this without manually editting ubuntu-session.

quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf-signed.zip
MD5: 98d0c5252173a659770114bf90a4253b
SHA1: db47fad752c326ea3ee3616f5332d7ee1ea123f6
I think the file is down
EDIT: seems to be online again

Last edited:
Reactions: oscillot
V

Vistaus

Awesome! 2 questions though:

-Dual-boot or not?
-Will this work on Everest? I'm not using 3G anymore.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

have I it running, it already has users created, how do I remove them and create my own user

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That is not possible in this preview.

boober05

Mar 7, 2013
hello sorry for my english, i am french :angel: (the excuse)

asus transfomer uses the same material as the xoom.
Development of ubuntu and more advanced than the xoom

I tried the version on my xoom and turn it on.

Why not worked with the asus community for finalized ubuntu on xoom ?

I'm not developers if I could help but I tested for you

good luck

jaggj

Oct 28, 2012
Union Mills
I'm not a dev but I'll definitely test. I don't rely on my xoom so it doesn't matter if I don't have some features.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

sashykanth

Nov 25, 2012
Hyderabad
Few more instructions please

ubuntu_chroot shell - results in ubuntu_chroot not found

Sorry, I am not familiar with chroot. So all I did was "apt-get install schroot" and modified the schroot.conf to add the below:
[hardy]
description=Ubuntu hardy
location=/var/chroot/hardy
priority=3
users=doko
groups=sbuild
root-groups=root

Can you provide few more instructions on how to setup chroot. I followed the chroot install instructions from: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I've got Ubuntu Touch running on my Xoom, not perfectly. I have an LTE Xoom, but I'm building as if it is Wifi Only (I no longer have service on LTE).

Issues:
  • Font rendering in some places is unreadable.
  • Display settings have to be manually tweaked in /usr/bin/ubuntu-session to set GRID_UNIT_PX=10
  • Have not tested sound at all
  • Camera doesn't seem to work
  • Haven't tested GPS

Installation instructions:

Fixed:
  • I'm able to connect to my wifi and use the internet via an adb (ubuntu_chroot shell), but apps including the browser used from the device don't seem to have connectivity.

*This download is a daily snapshot, the latest version may or may not work, I've only tested using the version from 20130228.

walts

Apr 11, 2006
Hi all.

I'm an experienced rom-flasher, most recently with Android, and not super comfortable with Linux, but I do have some limited experience there. My Xoom was running CM10

I first flashed both files from the OP, and while I could get an adb shell connection, the GUI did not come up at all. then I flashed using the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf-signed.zip from page 3, and that boots OK. As others have reported, the fonts on the home screens are unreadable even with GRID_UNIT_PX=10.

The biggest issue for me right now is WIFI. When I tap on the Networks icon, it recognizes my Access Point, but when I try to enter the network key, the on-screen keyboard vanishes as soon as I type a single key. I remember that the network configuration, including the WPA key, is kept in a config file somewhere but I can't remember the name of that file. Possibly I could edit that file via an adb shell to get WIFI working.

Any ideas, anyone?

Walt

skippyishappy

Jan 30, 2008
Hi all.

I'm an experienced rom-flasher, most recently with Android, and not super comfortable with Linux, but I do have some limited experience there. My Xoom was running CM10

I first flashed both files from the OP, and while I could get an adb shell connection, the GUI did not come up at all. then I flashed using the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf-signed.zip from page 3, and that boots OK. As others have reported, the fonts on the home screens are unreadable even with GRID_UNIT_PX=10.

The biggest issue for me right now is WIFI. When I tap on the Networks icon, it recognizes my Access Point, but when I try to enter the network key, the on-screen keyboard vanishes as soon as I type a single key. I remember that the network configuration, including the WPA key, is kept in a config file somewhere but I can't remember the name of that file. Possibly I could edit that file via an adb shell to get WIFI working.

Any ideas, anyone?

Walt

USB keyboards work if you have an OTG cable to plug it in to the Xoom, that is how I put my Wifi key in.

skippyishappy

Jan 30, 2008
ubuntu_chroot shell - results in ubuntu_chroot not found

Sorry, I am not familiar with chroot. So all I did was "apt-get install schroot" and modified the schroot.conf to add the below:
[hardy]
description=Ubuntu hardy
location=/var/chroot/hardy
priority=3
users=doko
groups=sbuild
root-groups=root

Can you provide few more instructions on how to setup chroot. I followed the chroot install instructions from: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot

Thanks for the help.

ubuntu_chroot is not something you'll need to install on to your desktop, it is run on your device via adb shell.

Please take a look at this earlier post in this thread.

Reactions: sashykanth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I've got Ubuntu Touch running on my Xoom, not perfectly. I have an LTE Xoom, but I'm building as if it is Wifi Only (I no longer have service on LTE).

Issues:
    • Font rendering in some places is unreadable.
    • Display settings have to be manually tweaked in /usr/bin/ubuntu-session to set GRID_UNIT_PX=10
    • Have not tested sound at all
    • Camera doesn't seem to work
    • Haven't tested GPS

Installation instructions:

Fixed:
    • I'm able to connect to my wifi and use the internet via an adb (ubuntu_chroot shell), but apps including the browser used from the device don't seem to have connectivity.

*This download is a daily snapshot, the latest version may or may not work, I've only tested using the version from 20130228.
    This is a modified version of quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip. People can use this without manually editting ubuntu-session.

I downloaded and flashed this version and I have a screen with a GUI now, but it's really not usable. I can't get the search icon to register a click and a number of items don't work. It's basically just something pretty to look at, which is far better than a black screen. :victory:

However, it's not usable.

Has anyone else had any luck?
    Check security/commoncap.c in the kernel source tree and comment "#ifdef CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK" and corresponding "#endif". Did you have block texts in your main screen?

Thanks, I've updated the linked binary, networking seems to function properly now in the apps.
    Could i get a link? I would love to give this a try! :good:

PM with the link sent, when I get to 10 posts or get moderator approval, I'll edit the original post to include the download link.

Please keep me posted on how it goes. I'll try to document the steps I took to get it running soon (very minimal, just followed the official porting guide)