Xoom Tips, tricks and just helpful information.

Search This thread

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Figured I would consolidate the info into a single thread. I will add to it as new things are discovered.

APP BEHAVIOR / USAGE

Q: My Xoom is showing web pages in mobile format, is there a way to show the full page instead?
A: Yes, type About:debug in the browser's address bar, then under settings go to UAString and select desktop. This will not stay however, but hopefully someone can figure out how to make it stick. It stays in desktop mode on my droid X unless i change it. Some suggest using the Dolphin HD browser as an alternative.

EDIT: Android team has given me some more technical details about what's happening here: In Honeycomb, the browser's default user agent string is "Android"; in previous versions of the OS, it's "Android Mobile." This is meant to serve as a way for Web sites to differentiate between large-screen and small-screen Android devices and then respond appropriately. Thus far, however, most Web developers haven't implemented support for the two strings, which is why both are currently being treated the same.

If you have a site that is still loading into mobile format, then post it in this thread, and everyone should contact that site to tell them to fix it. If we all contact them, then they will fix it quicker.

Q: How do I kill an application in Honeycomb?
A: There is really no need to use a task killer application in Android, but if you need to force stop an app for any reason (just like in the phone version) go to Settings->applications->manage applications and then find the app then hit force stop.

Q: My gallery wont update unless I add something new using the camera, is there any way to remedy this?
A: ZBoater had same issue. He installed SDRescan from Market and says it works great.

SYSTEM / TABLET BEHAVIOR

Q: The Wifi on the Xoom will not connect to wireless a or n, does it have the ability to connect to the 5GHz band?
A: Yes, and here is a post from Motorola that might help some of you:

julienB
- Xoom supports 5GHz A & N.
- It is true that it can not go to 300Mbps rate. I am not aware of any mobile device that can reach this rate. Please let me know if you know one, that would be interesting data.
72Mbps is in the expected range for best N rate.
What may explain why Xoom would not see your 5GHz A or N network (or only use low rate)?
- In WiFi Advanced settings, frequency band setting should be "Auto" or "5GHz only"
- Your router should broadcast its SSID. (If another device that was never connected to your router can see it, it means this is ok)
- Xoom supports only the main channels in 5GHz band: channels are 36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161. Can you try to set your router to one of those channels?
- There has been new requirements from WiFi Alliance: we can not support WEP and WPA-PSK in N-mode.
This means that if your router is set in N-only mode (does not support A mode), you should set its security to open or WPA2-PSK. If your router is set in A & N mixed mode and WEP or WPA-PSK, Xoom will not use N rates and max rate will be 54Mbps.
Please let us know if any of the above helps or not.

You can read the whole thread on the Motorola support forums There are some great resolutions on the page if you are having connectivity issues. The Motorola Reps have been actively helping people through the process.

Q: Am I really only able to see the last 5 apps running?
A: Brotip, turn to portrait, and you should see more. Hopefully they will scroll soon.

Q: OMG my micro SD card isn't working!!! HELP!!11
A: relax, Google is working hard to get this implemented into the Xoom. We have no firm date as of right now, but rest assured I will update you as quickly as I hear the news. I love being an early adopter! Get to watch Honeycomb grow up... How I remember when it was just a G1, now look at him!

Q: How do I stop Honeycomb from automatically creating shortcuts on my homescreen when I download apps from the market?
A: Go to the market app. Then My Apps. Then the top right corner settings menu. Credit: Stinkyjoe

Q: How many points of multi-touch does the Xoom have?
A: According to the Multi-Touch Tester app, there are 10 multi-touch points. Ixobelle has a video posted here of it working. According to the multi-touch visualized app, there are 8 multi-touch points. Someone needs to use their nose, or have a friend help them out using the Multi-Touch Tester app, because there could be 10+ I have no friends...

Q: Can I do wifi tether?
A: Yes, it is built in to Honeycomb, and you do not need root. Also, if you want, you can tether it via bluetooth. There is a topic on it posted here by ixobelle

Q: Why is the charging LED not working when I charge the tablet?
A: It only comes on when the Xoom is powered off and you are charging it.

Q: The LED notification light doesn't turn on when I get a notification.
A: The notification LED is on the right side and will blink only when you receive a notification and the screen is off.

Q: How do I disable 3g service?
A:Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile network settings/Data enabled. This will keep your radio on, but if you want to completely disable the radio, put your Xoom into airplane mode and turn on wifi.

Q: I'm trying to copy files from/to my computer, but it isn't finding my Xoom... what ever shall I do?
A: Try unplugging then replugging the Xoom into the computer. Try not to use a usb-hub if you continue to have issues, as this could be the reason.

VIDEO CAPABILITIES

Q: What kind of HD videos can the Xoom play?
A: according to the Motorola forum manager Matt, as long as the bit-rate for the 720p video is 20Mbps or less you should have no issues. The file extensions it is able to play are dependent on which 3rd party apps you use, but the bit-rate needs to be 20Mbps. If you only wish to use the stock video player, check out the official Optimal video settings FAQ

If anyone has good information about the HD capabilities of the Xoom, or experience with some apps working better than others then post it in here, and I will add it in.

ROOTING/FLASHING/HACKING

Q: My Xoom is locked up / stuck on the Fast-boot / Dual Core screen - any ideas?
A: hold the Up Volume + Power button, this will reset the Xoom.

Q: What do I do if my Xoom is bricked? Is there any way to save myself from a very expensive paperweight?
A: If your Xoom is possibly bricked, then grab the SBF file from Multiupload here. To use the file, grab the latest version of RSD Lite (4.9) from Multiupload. Credit goes to LegionTHEFecalExcretion for the SBF File.

Q: Can i unlock my Xoom and flash it?
A: Yes, it is easily unlocked, however it will void your warranty. Here is a great guide on how to unlock your Xoom for flashing.

Q: How do I root my Xoom?
A: here is a great thread that will help you out.

GENERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT THE XOOM

Q: What is the size of the battery? How long will it last?
A: According to Motorola the Xoom actually has 2x3250 mAH batteries, and depending on the review it lasts from 8.4-9.5 hours with video running constantly.

Q: Am I eligible for the LTE upgrade if I root my device/not on contract?
A: Yes, just make sure to re-lock your device before you send it in just to be safe. the software they need to install will probably need to wipe the device, that is why they tell you to back up all of your data. It is after all adding a new piece of hardware. I will update this area as soon as more word comes from Motorola.

If you have anything to add, or also have a question then post it in here, and I will incorporate it into this post.

If this helped you out, then hit the thanks button!

Last edited:

KUKitch

Mar 7, 2010
Doesn't it already have the tether and wifi hotspot in wireless settings since it's stock android? I saw it was there but didn't go in and check it out.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

burningembers

Sep 11, 2010
Q: My Xoom is showing webpages in mobile format, is there a way to show the full page instead?
A: Yes, type About:debug in the browser's address bar, then under settings go to UAString and select desktop

It'd be good to note that this isn't permanent, it won't stick around after you close the browser out.

An alternative is to use a browser like Dolphin HD or Dolphin Mini which let's you explicitly set your UAString permanently.

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
it is 2x3520 mAH they are just packaged together. there is no way this device could last 10 hours...

I even posted a link to the motorola rep discussing it on the official moto forums. i read the ifixit article also, and I saw the photo. It doesn't say x2 but i doubt an offical motorola rep would intentionally put out bad info.

Last edited:

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010

it is 2x3520 mAH they are just packaged together. there is no way this device could last 10 hours...

I even posted a link to the motorola rep discussing it on the official moto forums. i read the ifixit article also, and I saw the photo. It doesn't say x2 but i doubt an offical motorola rep would intentionally put out bad info.

3250 not 3520 :)

mrksbrd

Aug 31, 2010
New Jersey
How would one go about disabling the 3g service manually when not in use? Galaxy Tab you can do this by long pressing the power button.

parrotheadmjb

Feb 21, 2009
Any way to set up Text Messaging on this? Tried setting up an APN with no success, didn't think it would work..but tried it anyways. Honeycomb can obviously handle the Messaging Service. Any ideas on this?

AvErAgEj04

May 16, 2008
Q: How do I disable 3g service?
A:Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile network settings/Data enabled.

Or you could just put the Xoom in "Airplace Mode" ... will disable all mobile network use and still allow the device to use wifi...

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Any way to set up Text Messaging on this? Tried setting up an APN with no success, didn't think it would work..but tried it anyways. Honeycomb can obviously handle the Messaging Service. Any ideas on this?
I am kind of confused over this also, because when I bought mine on vzw.com it offered a texting package to add on. I still don't have mine yet, but why would they offer it if the ability isn't there. Can anyone give some insight into this?

reezy23

Feb 28, 2011
HELP!

I rooted my atrix and am using barnacle as well as two other hotspot applications but my xoom does not recognize any of them does any one have any suggestions? I don't want to return this great device but I think I am going to have to because there's no point in paying for the service when I have a phone that enables a hotspot.

Lars1967

Feb 28, 2011
Use wireless Tether (for Root Users) and use the Bluetooth option (in the menu).

Works great for me!

michaelyork

Mar 1, 2011
Doesn't it already have the tether and wifi hotspot in wireless settings since it's stock android? I saw it was there but didn't go in and check it out.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Really strange that no one's picked up on this. I can confirm that this is the case! Completely stock Xoom on my end and I use WiFi Tethering all the time.

Top Liked Posts