Backup/Restore N2E

Search This thread

guitar_east

May 18, 2010
Pickering
who can give me a backed up file, I use linux and use 'dd' command ,but the file is wrong ,so my nook touch can not be use anymore. I need a full backup file to recovery it . Where can I download this file ? Thanks.

Eek. So far, the backup files are specific to each individual Nook. How is your file "wrong"? Did you follow the steps correctly? How big is your backup file?

BiGbrother13

Oct 5, 2008
Almost bricked

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file:
If the process completes, you now have a backup.

Add here that you should choose "Physical Disc", not the mounted Partition. Because of that mistake, I got 77MB backup img and bricked my Nook after deleting partition.

Happily I had another backup sized 1957616640 bytes made with win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27 and unbricked my Nook.

After that I rebackuped Nook with Roadkil's Disk Image and got backup sized 1958739968 bytes

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7
My 2 cents on backup under Windows XP (same applies to Vista & 7)
win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27 created backup file 1,957,616,640 bytes (wrong!)
while dd (www chrysocome net/dd - I cannot post link, not enough posts yet) made 1,958,739,968 bytes (right!)

To use DD run:
dd --list
===============================
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

Win32 Available Volume Information

\\.\Volume{9f722258-b624-11e0-b495-001ec9362694}\
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+10
removeable media
Mounted on \\.\e:

\\.\Volume{9f722259-b624-11e0-b495-001ec9362694}\
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk2\DP(1)0-0+12
removeable media
Mounted on \\.\f:

NT Block Device Objects
\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR15
Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
size is 1958739968 bytes
\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+10
Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
size is 79675392 bytes
\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk2\DR17
\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk2\DP(1)0-0+12
===============================
Find NT Block Device Objects with size is 1958739968 bytes

And back it up:
dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=c:\nook.img bs=1M --size --progress

radicpunk

Nov 6, 2009
Unable to restore using backup img

I have tried the methods (i.e. OS X and Win7) mentioned on this thread to restore N2E to stock but it is not working.

Apparently it reverts to being rooted (rooted by TouchNooter) even after erasing the partitions and writing with the backup img file.

Has anyone experience the same problem or can advise how to resolve?

(I've also tried in vain using the 8 interrupted boots and pushing the power+bottom 2 buttons.)

Thank you.

bobetto1964

Apr 24, 2008
Wrong size backup

I've tried several times with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

The "dd --list" command give the same result, 1.962.934.272.

The firmware revision of the Nook is 1.0.0, Model number BNRV300.

Anyone else have the same result?

Last edited:
Reactions: pjfry808

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
I've tried several time with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

Yep, I have the same result and the same Model Number, I have not tested to restore the image though

mr.rugrat

Aug 19, 2011
urgent help with installation gone wrong

hello,
my situation is quite embarrassing.
i backed up only one partition, instead of the whole memory of the nook.
when trying to test the backup, i obviously deleted all the partitions.

my nook won't start. it gets to the "install failed" screen and shuts down.
a hard reset doesn't work, and i highly doubt that it should work in such a case.

for now I don't care if my nook is rooted or not, i just wish to god it's at all usable, and that not all is lost.

I would appreciate any kind of help or tips from anyone.
feel free to respond or contact me at
mr.rugrat@gmail.com
thanks in advance..!

densets

Aug 6, 2011
Buenos Aires
Im trying to make a img backup of my rooted nook. Im on windows and when i try to use roadkil diskimg the nook appears as "Physical Disk 3 (Not Ready) " and wont let me back it up.

pjfry808

Aug 23, 2011
I've tried several times with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

I also got 1.962.934.272 bytes using 'dd' on OSX10.5. My nook is also a BNRV300. Has anyone yet tried to restore from this image size? Is this a consequence of the device model or the BSD version of 'dd' that OSX uses? An obvious difference is that on OSX the block size has to be given as "bs=1m" rather than the "bs=1M" used on linux. I wonder if the implementation really differs at all.
This ROM mounts just fine but restoring an invalidly formated ROM is probably a sure way to brick my nook.

I also just noticed that the 1.0.1 was applied to my nook automatically even though I had rooted.

fatfishycell

Feb 9, 2008
I backed up mine after rooting and a few tweaks. was 251641856 bytes long so I'm assuming it worked since file size is bigger than the orig. hope i never have to use it tho :D

buoy7

Jan 11, 2007
Hi,

I originally posted this on the nook color forum and was directed here.

Here is my problem. I rooted my Nook simple touch and then applied the software update. This somehow froze the device to the point I had to take the thing apart and disconnect/reconnect the battery. Using touchnooter, I was able to then boot from sd card, but I have somehow hosed my internal partitions. Now when I look at the partitions in Finder, I just have 2 - touchnooter (the sd card) and nook. If I boot with noogie.img on the sd card I can also see the boot partition, but the device itself only displays the 'rooted forever screen' I don't know where the other 5 partitions I have read about have gone.

I have a partial backup, but not of all the partitions (yeah, I know how bad this is) and nobody will post a backup img since each touch is unique and the partitions contain some unique files - device no etc.

So my dumb noob qn is - can I use clockwork and insert some of my touch files into the book color rom nook_complete_restore_1.0.1 to rewrite my internals.

You may wonder why not just run of the sd card with touchnooter - well I no longer have any internal storage and the only way to get books onto the device is through calibre putting them on the sd card. To do this I have had to reformat the sd card once booted so it has space for books. Now if I inadvertently shut down or reboot, I'm frozen again until I re-image the sd card with touchnooter and reboot.

I managed to get adb working and set the failed start counter to 8 - but a reboot just leaves everything frozen. There just doesn't seem to be anything on the internal file structure that would let it boot.

I have my serial number. mac address etc written down - could I somehow recreate the unique files knowing these (I'm assuming the unique files are just a text record of these details)

Can anyone help (or point me at an actual touch backup img)

John

buoy7

Jan 11, 2007
Hi again,

Just a little more detail. Booting with noogie.img on the sd card I can see the 7 partitions in Finder using diskutil list - so at least they are still there. Something I have done has meant that the nook will not boot from internal memory only from an sd card. When I boot with a touchnooter img, The file system doesn't show up at all in Finder. The sd card info box in settings is greyed out and shows 0% free. The internal memory shows 0% free and because the file system hasn't mounted the nook doesn't show up in calibre. So at the moment I have no way of getting books on or off the device. This is really frustrating. Can anyone help or suggest a way out of this. Can anyone point me at an image file for the original file structure so I can return to stock and try again?

Help!

Best Regards

John

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Have you tried a factory reset ? (following the instructions here "for recovery")
It might work.

Can you mount your 7 partitions and see if there is something in there ?

buoy7

Jan 11, 2007
Hi mdall,

Thank you for replying. Yes I have tried the factory reset and nothing happens. Either I have somehow made the boot partition 'unbootable' (I have no previous experience of android development, so have no idea how the file structure works, or even if a partition needs to be bootable) or I have somehow deleted a vital file. I got into this state as a result of touchnooting (at which point everything worked brilliantly and I was very happy) after which I sideloaded the 1.0.1 update to see what it would change. The progress bar for the update went to about 95% then the device froze - for several days. I tried everything I could read on the various forums to try and get it going again - but nothing worked. In the end I bought the special screwdriver needed to take the thing apart and disconnected the battery. After this, I could boot from the sd card only. If I try and reboot without the card in, nothing happens.
On my mac, using diskutil in Terminal I can see the following 7 partitions:

/dev/disk3
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *2.0 GB disk3
1: Windows_FAT_32 boot 79.7 MB disk3s1
2: Windows_FAT_32 rom 16.8 MB disk3s2
3: Linux 199.2 MB disk3s3
4: Linux 302.0 MB disk3s5
5: Windows_FAT_32 NOOK 251.6 MB disk3s6
6: Linux 251.6 MB disk3s7
7: Linux 840.9 MB disk3s8
only 1 boot and 5 NOOK mount so that I can see what is in there. If anyone could list (or better yet post the files for) the contents of their boot partition that would be extremely helpful.

At the moment my hopes seem to hang on someone pointing me at a restore image, or the cyanogenmod folk producing a nook touch rom.

Anyone able to help from the above?

Best Regards

John

Last edited:

buoy7

Jan 11, 2007
mdall,

Yeeha, I have fixed it. To start with I deleted everything out of my boot partition and copied across the boot files you posted - no difference. Then I noticed that the partition free space didn't make sense. So I went into disk utility, reformatted the partition which got it back to its full size (not sure what had been happening here to be honest) and copied the files over again. Then for the first time in 3 weeks when I pressed the power button without an sd card in, the screen flickered and it rebooted. The screen then showed a couple of messages about rebooting and it performed a factory reset (which took a few nerve wracking minutes) and then I got the registration screens. End result a completely factory fresh nook. I think I will wait a while before rooting again.

Thanks very much for posting the files - I don't know if it was those, reformatting the partition, or both - but now well happy.

Regards

John

Last edited:

esi435sam

Sep 2, 2011
Hi
my nook touch damage after root.I have not backup .can u attach the your factory fresh Nook or ...?

buoy7

Jan 11, 2007
Hi,

I can't post the image as each is unique -it has your serial no and account details etc. Have you tried using the boot partition files from the post above mine? - that was all I needed to get going again

John

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7

Grab a copy of Roadkil's free DiskImager for backup and restore. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

and a copy of free MiniTool Partition Wizard at:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Boot nook with noogie.img : http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting (the "Rooted Forever" screen) and connect to your computer via USB.

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file, being sure to select "Physical Disk" in the drop down list.

read1.png

read2.png

read3.png

If the process completes, you now have a backup.

To restore your backup:

(Boot Nook with the noogie sd)

Run Partition Wizard and delete all partitions on your Nook. Careful in disk selection here, wiping the wrong drive could be catastrophic! This is required, because DiskImager won't write to a partitioned drive.
    partwiz.jpg

Now run DiskImager and restore your backup to the Nook drive. When done, pull the noogie sd card from the Nook and reboot.

write1.png

write2.png

write3.png

You should be fully restored now.
    Backup/Restore N2E OS X/LINUX

Rule one: Make a backup of your factory fresh Nook ROM.

Linux/Mac: Become root

Boot nook with noogie.img and connect to your computer via USB.

New link here

Linux:
    use df -h to get your nook's /dev/sd? address.
    typically something like: /dev/sdb

OS X:
    use diskutil list to get your nook's memory address.
    typically something like: /dev/disk3

Once you know the address, unmount the Nook.

Code:
    Linux: umount /dev/sdb*
    OS X: diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Make the backup

Code:
    Linux: dd if=/dev/sdb  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=/dev/disk3  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    After it is finished, double check and make sure the backup img file is exactly 1958739968 bytes long.

dd can wipe your computer's hard drive, so be careful! Make sure your're plugging the correct drives into the command above.

Restoring your N2E to factory-fresh is a simple reversal of the commands above:

(boot with the noogie sd card first!)

Code:
    Linux: dd if=my_backup.img  of=/dev/sdb  bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=my_backup.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1M
    Substitute sdb or disk3 above with your Nook's actual address.

This wipes your N2E, restoring the specified image file.

Windows users, see the next post.
    I've tried several time with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

Yep, I have the same result and the same Model Number, I have not tested to restore the image though
    Instead of dumping a 2 Gb big file directly to hd you could pipe it through a compression tool:

Code:
    Dumping:
    dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip > blob.img.gz

Restoring:
    gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Replace gzip with whatever compression tools is wanted.
    lzop -- extremely high throughput, very low compression rate.
    gzip -- high throughput, low compression rate.
    xz -- low throughput, totally awesome compression rate.

Dumping a pretty much stock v1.1 nook with xz results in a img of around 500mb.