WARNING Three Mobile are THROTTLING All You Can Eat Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

blair287

Jan 15, 2012
All-you-can-eat data on The One Plan.
What's the limit?
There are no restrictions for the all-you-can-eat data that now comes with The One Plan. This means you can use your smartphone as you like - so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like.

This is what Three post on their website. however the moderators on their blog say this:

You’ll only have your traffic managed if you are a disproportionately high data user (in the top 5% of high data users) and when you are using data in a busy cell site area between peak hours of 6pm to 12am. Try to move some of your data usage outside of these hours. You should see a speed improvement after seven days.

However they seem to forget that they throttle you down to 75Kbps which is near dial up speed. I actually get 0.02Mb/s now.

They created the one plan and all you can eat data as a limit free data usage service they appear to have back tracked on their promise and breached contracts that where out before this http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-...fic mana*'came into affect.

However they still claim this when you ask them:

I can confirm that with all-you-can-eat data there are no restrictions or hidden ‘fair use’ policies on the amount of data you can use. This means you can use your smartphone as you like – so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like without worrying about going over a data allowance. I’m afraid it does not cover sending a MMS, it’s best to check out our pricing guide to confirm how much this would be.

My contract is a year old and predates traffic sense i found this http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/0...your-contract/ so im cancelling my contract Three are meant to be ringing back in 24 hours to discuss it.
As this is a breach of our right as not only did they do it without notifying us they changed our contract for the worse.

and i used 10GB over 2 months so 5gb a month i hardly think that a lot.

Ofcom

020 7981 3040 option 1

ASA

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How...orm/Step2.aspx

BBC WatchDog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...Ofcom_Tra1.pdf

Page 5, point 17.

This is exactly what three has done

Unconstrained traffic management has the potential for consumer/citizen harm if:
1. it is used as pretext for potentially unfair discrimination; or
2. it leads to consumer misunderstanding or mistrust of the service that they had expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiIB2wYJIo

Last edited:

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
I believe that three have just started throttling me as of 25th May 2012.

I’m so sure of it, my next door neighbor and college at work are on Three and they easy hit

3.5mbps at work

and

6mbps at home

I average 20GB per month.

Now I’m at 20kbps 15.00 to 23.59

Ive complained over the phone and still super slow.

I don't torrent, file share, P2P, or do any of those things

its 99% YouTube and NetFlix

My contract is 6 months old so pre dates TrafficSense that launched on the 12th of May 2012

There was zero warning from "three" in any shape of form

Just read their spiel

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phon...u-can-eat_data

http://ask3.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-bin...ile:mobileUser

They are encouraging you to spank it inc tethering

I asked at least a dozen time in the "three" shop before I signed "is tethering included" yes it is

Typical evening useage by me is

19.30 about 30 minutes of YouTube

20:00 WoW (which so low in its usage its almost playable over dial up)

22.00 in bed watching either a TopGear or Mythbusters episode the sleep time.

blair287

Jan 15, 2012
Just recorded a phone call to three about all you can eat it wasnt until i asked specifically about throttling that he told me, he also claim that people using 200GB weren't being throttled.

that is just complete lies they wernt going to tell me and i certainly havnt used 200GB

These are peoples posts on Three blog:

I note the comment made by Clarissa on 8th of May and response by Moderator Kaz on the 9th of MAy.
I had exactly the same situation as this. Previous 3 mobile dongle, Used it for 36 months, hassle free and very good speeds, especially for streaming. I don’t have a land line as I live in rented accommodation. I didn’t have unlimited on my iPhone so I changed to The One Plan and cancelled my dongle contract.
I am now very unhappy with the speed of my internet. i can not stream anything, or even download simple upgrades from apple. I have read elsewhere that 3 are capping data at 200kps between 6-12pm. I would have to agree that this is the case.
I understand 3 are in an awkward position with this as people will abuse it by downloading endless movies, music etc. But I was assured I would continue to receive the same speed.
I was happy with my 15BG a month, all I was looking for was to be able to use my iphone without worrying about going over a tiny 500mb limit. Now I am paying £25 for a much worse internet service.
I’d appreciate an honest answer on this. 3 are definitely capping users that wish to stream using The One Plan. Very disappointed customer.

I to have had my internet speeds throttled, i was getting great speeds until a few weeks ago, i downloaded a lot one week now my speeds have been limited to a crawl i cant watch youtube its so slow or use skype its to slow, then exactly at 12.00 at night the speeds go back to normal, i have phone three many times and the last time i called the adviser told me to “move to a different area” really thats what he said. my upload speeds have not been affected just download

The three one plan all you can eat data is SCAM !!! They will let you use it in the first days then if you continue using it they will put in the top 5% of users who use more data and slow your Internet to a point you can not use it. They want you to pay but not use! I wish someone has warned me before I fall for this SCAM!!! I’m coming back to my old mobile company, at least they let me use 3G when I’m paying!

@ dave DO NOT TAKE OUT THE ONE PLAN!!! I AM PERSONALLY ON THE ONE PLAN AND I AM BEING THROTTLED!!!! unlimited data yet they have introduced throttling as of 12 may 2012 for top 5% of users. pathetic, illegal, ive emailed ceo david dyson and am looking elsewhere PS 3UK-YOU CANT SELL ‘UNLIMITED WITH NO THROTTLING CONTRACTS AND THEN THROTTLE PEOPLE-ITS ILLEGAL!!! I am now looking for alternative contracts

@ mods-i think you need to ammened all comments on your blogs to refelct threes new policies they have slyly introduced via website and not informing customers-there are now limits on the one plan

That is very true Dean. It is ridiculous. It is not just on the one plan, pay as you go are suffering as well. I cannot use the internet in the day but after 1 am everything is back to normal. Now, this is the no FUP Unlimited internet Three have been bangging on about? They should add the fact that this is only good for someone that lives in the night and not for the rest of us that sleep at night. They say that they do this to manage the network for services like peer 2 peer and napster but this is not true, it does not start at 6pm either. I do not use this services, nor do I use tethering but a minute ago 13:08 on the 17 of May 2012 I cannot even send a tweet as it fails or takes forever. Also I cannot do a speed test as it fails with a latency error. This is a WARNING for everyone thinking about getting a plan on Three because of the “unlimited” internet. It is not unlimited, you cannot use it at all. I feel sorry for the people that signed up for the one plan with the rouse of having unlimited internet and not having to worry about downloading whatever they like. You will be able to still do it but only at night. Yesterday all day I was having issues with my phone and the internet being slow. When it got to 1 am and without changing any settings on the phone it suddently started working like normal.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! I will write a detailed entry about this on my site and in my blog as soon as I get a chance. I will spread the word so no one else falls for the same trap.

These are just of the complaints.

Last edited:

paintball23456

Nov 1, 2011
london
my friend is on three and im on vodafone we both have unlimited data plans but i average about 7-8mbs while my friend has about 75kbs three is crap!

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
Zomg

Previous 3 mobile dongle, Used it for 36 months, hassle free and very good speeds, especially for streaming. I don’t have a land line as I live in rented accommodation. I didn’t have unlimited on my iPhone so I changed to The One Plan and cancelled my dongle contract.
I am now very unhappy with the speed of my internet. i can not stream anything, or even download simple upgrades from apple. I have read elsewhere that 3 are capping data at 200kps between 6-12pm. I would have to agree that this is the case.
I understand 3 are in an awkward position with this as people will abuse it by downloading endless movies, music etc. But I was assured I would continue to receive the same speed.
I was happy with my 15BG a month, all I was looking for was to be able to use my iphone without worrying about going over a tiny 500mb limit. Now I am paying £25 for a much worse internet service.
I’d appreciate an honest answer on this. 3 are definitely capping users that wish to stream using The One Plan. Very disappointed customer.

Thats 95% the exact same as me, but I was using an iPad sim in a MiFi

I have line of sight to the mast near my house = 6 to 9mbps, before "three" throttled me.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

my friend is on three and im on vodafone we both have unlimited data plans but i average about 7-8mbs while my friend has about 75kbs three is crap!

didn't know Voda was offering unlimited data ?

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I have sent an email to David Dyson CEO Three UK

david.dyson@three.co.uk

Last edited:

blair287

Jan 15, 2012
Yea if you are being throttled you speed will be 75kb/s and down i get 20kbps which is unusable

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
Just did a speed test before 15.00

ping 78

Down 2.85mbps

Up 1.40mbps

and now just after 15.00

ping 151

Down 00.26mbps

Up 1.10mbps

Last edited:

blair287

Jan 15, 2012
im being throttles now 67kbps download 1367mbps upload took me 3 mins to load this page.

drachers

Apr 24, 2010
I have just finished a call with the Three service desk chap, he spent more or less the entire call agreeing with me.

Best Quote: "This is the 21st century sir, 10 kilobytes per second is not acceptable".

Well said man!

I made it absolutely clear that I am a crazy heavy user and if he tells me the trigger level for traffic management I would be delighted to abide by it. But the problem is there are no published fair use limits (yet). They go to great lengths to tout just how unlimited their service is. And now they're oversubscribed and made a panic decision to effectively cut people off for half the day.

Wonder what T-Mobile's "full monty" is like? Besides more expensive.

A couple of people called me a "leech" ruining it for everyone else. NO. I have money, I am willing to purchase a high-use product. Nobody seems to want to provide. £25 for three's "The One" plan was always suspiciously cheap, I would be willing to pay double for a reliable unlimited product for tethering and the rest.

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
I'm paying £40 pm cause I got a 4s on release week :mad:

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

drachers, what dept did you go for ?

drachers

Apr 24, 2010
I'm paying £40 pm cause I got a 4s on release week :mad:

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

drachers, what dept did you go for ?

Just the normal India helpdesk, awaiting a tech callback for a bit of background on the cutoff threshold etc. They may not be able to tell me yet, this has only been going a couple of days. Of course, they might do a history check on my traffic and decide I'm more trouble than I'm worth, which is fine.

htcmodteam

Sep 14, 2011
york
If anyone can get them to admit they throttle it and get a name a ext number and get It so its on your notes then under t+c you can just walk away from the contract. Disconnect under they have broke the t+c.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

Wiltuk

Feb 1, 2010
Traffic management has been in the T&Cs since day one guys, just because they have given it a fancy name and have started enforcing it where they haven't previously doesn't mean you can get out of your contracts.

drachers

Apr 24, 2010
If anyone can get them to admit they throttle it and get a name a ext number and get It so its on your notes then under t+c you can just walk away from the contract. Disconnect under they have broke the t+c.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

They said you can use it all you want, but they didn't promise at what speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All-you-can-eat data on The One Plan.
    What's the limit?
    There are no restrictions for the all-you-can-eat data that now comes with The One Plan. This means you can use your smartphone as you like - so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like.

This is what Three post on their website. however the moderators on their blog say this:

You’ll only have your traffic managed if you are a disproportionately high data user (in the top 5% of high data users) and when you are using data in a busy cell site area between peak hours of 6pm to 12am. Try to move some of your data usage outside of these hours. You should see a speed improvement after seven days.

However they seem to forget that they throttle you down to 75Kbps which is near dial up speed. I actually get 0.02Mb/s now.

They created the one plan and all you can eat data as a limit free data usage service they appear to have back tracked on their promise and breached contracts that where out before this http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-...fic mana*'came into affect.

However they still claim this when you ask them:

I can confirm that with all-you-can-eat data there are no restrictions or hidden ‘fair use’ policies on the amount of data you can use. This means you can use your smartphone as you like – so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like without worrying about going over a data allowance. I’m afraid it does not cover sending a MMS, it’s best to check out our pricing guide to confirm how much this would be.

My contract is a year old and predates traffic sense i found this http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/0...your-contract/ so im cancelling my contract Three are meant to be ringing back in 24 hours to discuss it.
    As this is a breach of our right as not only did they do it without notifying us they changed our contract for the worse.

and i used 10GB over 2 months so 5gb a month i hardly think that a lot.

Ofcom

020 7981 3040 option 1

ASA

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How...orm/Step2.aspx

BBC WatchDog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...Ofcom_Tra1.pdf

Page 5, point 17.

This is exactly what three has done

Unconstrained traffic management has the potential for consumer/citizen harm if:
    1. it is used as pretext for potentially unfair discrimination; or
    2. it leads to consumer misunderstanding or mistrust of the service that they had expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiIB2wYJIo
    some people here seem to be missing the point.

Three have marketed heavily recently and presumably have had lots of signups, each of which is a new revenue stream. If people then start using the service that they've paid for and it reaches capacity, then all Three have to do is use these increased revenue streams to increase the capacity of the network. If they went from 2 million customers to 4 million customers then they've got twice as much load on the network, but twice as much revenue to ensure the network runs as it did previously.

Second of all there's a philosophical/discrimination issue here. Why does someone who uses a network less have a greater right to speed at a given time than someone who uses it regularly? Surely everyone (assuming they pay the same amount) has the same right to speed and access at all times.
    Do these sound like the words of someone who had all he could eat?
    This is how I would manage the network for peak time

00.00 to 14.59 leave it as is

15.00 to 23.59

Network wide speed for everyone of 3.8mbps (3.5mbps is enough for 720p streaming video)

Anyone breaching 3GB in that time gets reduced to 1/1.5mbps till 23.59

Anyone breaching 3GB 3 times in a week gets 1/1.5mbps reduction for the next 7 days peak time.

Everyone gets the internet, even the abusers get a usable connection.
    Thought

This capping the top 5% will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5% who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped.

I am being stupid here, or did that make sense ?