Can't set wallpaper after latest ota update

Search This thread

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Thanks, I got a lot more sleep than I have been last night. I have had one tester that's says it works on 7.4.3 so it should work on the others, you don't have to update to test it unless you want to test it. Theoretically it should work, I don't see why it would work on one and not the other less amazon decided to do something really weird. I may work on creating the Linux script tonight, depends on how tired I am after watching some of the shows on Toonami anime lineup tonight. I sound like a total otaku! xD! But I'm not, I just happen to like anime and manga as you can tell from my other posts.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Um I having released the Linux script yet, so uh f u tried to launch that bat file in Linux that may be why. The Linux script will have the extension .sh

You were referring to running g this on Linux right, I know from a terminal u would have the $. Otherwise I'm just confused at what you did.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Mr00oo00

Jul 4, 2011
Jeddah
using windows 8 pro
and tried to re root but no joy.
even I tried to update to the latest amazon 7.4.3 to over right whatever but when I enabled the auto update The version just became 7.4.3 t once , unless the update file is tiny one &:!?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I will say this now, rooting on windows 8 is a total pain, if u have a PC with win 7 or xp use it instead. Personally I use Linux and I haven't ever had an issue rooting it with binarie's script. If all else fails DL a live CD of Ubuntu and use binaries script. If u can't tell I'm a Linux enthusiast, I only use windows for gaming.

Reactions: Mr00oo00

Mr00oo00

Jul 4, 2011
Jeddah
I will say this now, rooting on windows 8 is a total pain, if u have a PC with win 7 or xp use it instead. Personally I use Linux and I haven't ever had an issue rooting it with binarie's script. If all else fails DL a live CD of Ubuntu and use binaries script. If u can't tell I'm a Linux enthusiast, I only use windows for gaming.

well,
the good news now is I managed to root again :)

I will give a try to ur script.
is it better to cd to the directory where I extracted the zip file then write RunMe from the cmd?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Its designed to work just by double clicking it, but you can run it that way as well.

Edit: didn't think i should bother double posting, but thought I'd mention the Linux script hit a slight snag... Because of how Linux operates, i cant include a xml starlet binary (actually i could but it may not work, and it wasn't released in such a manner as to distribute the linux binary, only compile it so i get the feeling i'm not supposed to possibly?), so i would either have to figure a way to include a installer using a choice page for what distro your using as to run the appropriate commands to install it, or possibly make it dl the source and compile it (sounds like a bad idea because not everyone has everything needed to compile program by default). My other option is to do some research on the awk command which i will do tomorrow because I'm getting sleepy. I believe pjeby said it could do what the xml starlet binary I'm including is doing, but like i said i gotta research how to better use the awk command for such a thing.

Last edited:

wing-zero

Oct 31, 2012
thanks stunts for ur hard work, but I went ahead and downgraded back to 7.3.1 and blocked ota. Seems more stable this way. Thanks again!

kj1025

Jun 17, 2013
Disclaimer: By using my script, you understand and accepts that I, and any people mentioned, will NOT be held responsible in the event that your device bricks, get stuck in boot loops, or any other damage.

Ok after debugging my script and making it better for 3-4 days, i finally have a safe version for the general public. Things you should know:

• Highly reccomendnthat you have 2nd boot loader + twrp in the rare chance this bricks your kindle, because you can adb from twrp and restore the backup
  • This is for OS 10.4.1, 7.4.1, and 8.41 and probably up if they keep this feature disabled
  • You need a rooted device for this to work
  • You need java installed
  • You need Microsoft Visual C++ Redist installed
  • If it stays on "waiting for device" you have adb driver problems, I would suggest perusing the forums for a solution
  • DON"T PULL YOUR CABLE DURING THE PROCEDURE! < very important
I have learned a lot through making this, such as you have to make this n00b proof in terms of safety features. I also learned that i hate batch coding with a passion. I will release an update soon with the Linux bash script version of this in it, it may or may not work for mac users, I don't have any OS X macs around to check for commands like awk, but base don the last time i used one in school they didn't have half of the busybox commands I'm used to in them.

Many thanks to pjeby, who worked with me to make sure it had plenty of safeties to prevent bricks,and gave me the process to know how to do this so i could figure out a way to automate it, as well as checking my script every few updates. Also would like to give credit to JulianPaoloThiry, who noticed where the problem resided. Have to give some credit to a friend of a friend of mine who helped me overcome a really stupid error that i couldn't figure out because i didn't read the debugging text properly, his name is probably Matei, we communicated through email. And final thanks to awidawad and vashypooh, because i based most of this on the kindle fire utilities ui code, must say their tmp variable was the source of my agony with a java bug. Also to thank my testers lordhavemercy, and thekid41, and halfvast.

Now with credit given where due here is the wallpaper fix. I will add a readme file later. Just unzip the file and click the file called RunMe.

Oh thought I'd add if a mod also might want to move this post as a new thread in the general section, I'm ok with that. If that happens i figured more people would see this since it affects 3 different models and this is only listed in the 7' hd section.

Edit:Confirmed this works on the 8.9' HD as well!

For now to help me with any problems you may have with this upon release I unhid the extra text that the programs and such are putting out and included a really crappy debugging script that logs the output. So if you run the program and it completes "successfully" but your wallpaper still wont apply do this:
1. Run the script again, choose restore
2.Run the debugger.bat and give it a 5 count then hit 1 and enter, the console's going to remain blank, couldn't find a work around.
3. Wait until your kindle reboots, give your pc a 10 count, then press enter one or two times and send me the debuglog.txt that was created or just send me it in a pm using code tags

Once all the bugs have settled down I'll update with a copy without the extra text showing up.
Anyways try the new version!

Changelog:
-added a makeshift fix for people with java path issues, lets see how the fix works!
-Copied a set path function i forgot to originally that may or may not at some point could have caused problems, not too sure though.
-Changed the Microsoft visual C++ check to use %windir% instead of c:\windows
-Enabled more output for debugging purposes
-Included a crappy debugger script for helping me improve on errors
-Initial Release

Hi,

I ran your fix on my Kindle HD 7 ( rooted ). No brick, but I still cant set a wallpaper. During the Bat running, there was alot of " Cannot find " in the scrolling commands, however it did finish with the " you can now install wallpaper hit enter "

any ideas?

Mr00oo00

Jul 4, 2011
Jeddah
it works

Its designed to work just by double clicking it, but you can run it that way as well.

Edit: didn't think i should bother double posting, but thought I'd mention the Linux script hit a slight snag... Because of how Linux operates, i cant include a xml starlet binary (actually i could but it may not work, and it wasn't released in such a manner as to distribute the linux binary, only compile it so i get the feeling i'm not supposed to possibly?), so i would either have to figure a way to include a installer using a choice page for what distro your using as to run the appropriate commands to install it, or possibly make it dl the source and compile it (sounds like a bad idea because not everyone has everything needed to compile program by default). My other option is to do some research on the awk command which i will do tomorrow because I'm getting sleepy. I believe pjeby said it could do what the xml starlet binary I'm including is doing, but like i said i gotta research how to better use the awk command for such a thing.

thanks stunts513
I managed to enable the wallpaper.
I had to copy all the extracted contents of your zip file to the adb directory (in my PC) then I had to cd from cmd to the directory and it works only this way :)
thank you for your effort :cowboy:

kj1025

Jun 17, 2013
PS heres an image of what the script said when I ran it

Attachments

• screenshots.jpg
    screenshots.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 184

Rugged96

May 26, 2010
Nashville
Thanks, I got a lot more sleep than I have been last night. I have had one tester that's says it works on 7.4.3 so it should work on the others, you don't have to update to test it unless you want to test it. Theoretically it should work, I don't see why it would work on one and not the other less amazon decided to do something really weird. I may work on creating the Linux script tonight, depends on how tired I am after watching some of the shows on Toonami anime lineup tonight. I sound like a total otaku! xD! But I'm not, I just happen to like anime and manga as you can tell from my other posts.

thank you Stunts!

it worked great on my KF2 on version 10.4.3

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
PS heres an image of what the script said when I ran it

OK I see the problem, everything worked correctly except for one key thing, your kindle must have not granted adb superuser rights, it should ask you for them if you having ever used superuser over adb before, if it did and accidentally denied it, goto your supersu app and change the permissions for adb, otherwise it timed out because the screen was off and you didn't hit grant. Try this and lemme know how it goes.

Edit: strange I noticed no errors on the backing up part who CH needs superuser access to do, but yet then data directory is what was giving you problems. If what I said to do above doesn't help uh I will have to do some more thinking, might be a permissions error on the folder or so etching, don't know offhand. But I do know that it denied you access to push the new file to the data partition which is kinda weird that should have read/wrife access by default I think.

Also thought I'd mention I think I have the first release of the Linux script just about done, I was gunna test it out on my cm 10.1 is where it shouldn't do damage, but then I realized the other day I deleted my SDK to free up disk space and I did not have the most recent Linux binary of adb so it won't work with my kindle now... I tested it to then point of nulling the transfer lines out and using a backed up framework-res.apk to test it and it works for the most part, still have an annoying little bug with the recompiler because I'm unsure exactly what this script that apk tool does, its a bit more complex than the batch file version, and something isn't setting a path variable correctly, just haven't identified it yet. I am going to improve the Linux script more after I release it, because I'm trying to make it less distro specific, but it relies on a program that I included but may not be compatible on everyone's Linux distro, so I am going to have to implement some kind of universal package management installer script, but for now I kinda just left it so that if the program errors out then it tells you to goto your package manager and install it, if after pressing enter when done installing or not installing and still erroring out, then it tries to download and compile it from source. code.

Last edited:

kj1025

Jun 17, 2013
OK I see the problem, everything worked correctly except for one key thing, your kindle must have not granted adb superuser rights, it should ask you for them if you having ever used superuser over adb before, if it did and accidentally denied it, goto your supersu app and change the permissions for adb, otherwise it timed out because the screen was off and you didn't hit grant. Try this and lemme know how it goes.

Edit: strange I noticed no errors on the backing up part who CH needs superuser access to do, but yet then data directory is what was giving you problems. If what I said to do above doesn't help uh I will have to do some more thinking, might be a permissions error on the folder or so etching, don't know offhand. But I do know that it denied you access to push the new file to the data partition which is kinda weird that should have read/wrife access by default I think.

Also thought I'd mention I think I have the first release of the Linux script just about done, I was gunna test it out on my cm 10.1 is where it shouldn't do damage, but then I realized the other day I deleted my SDK to free up disk space and I did not have the most recent Linux binary of adb so it won't work with my kindle now... I tested it to then point of nulling the transfer lines out and using a backed up framework-res.apk to test it and it works for the most part, still have an annoying little bug with the recompiler because I'm unsure exactly what this script that apk tool does, its a bit more complex than the batch file version, and something isn't setting a path variable correctly, just haven't identified it yet. I am going to improve the Linux script more after I release it, because I'm trying to make it less distro specific, but it relies on a program that I included but may not be compatible on everyone's Linux distro, so I am going to have to implement some kind of universal package management installer script, but for now I kinda just left it so that if the program errors out then it tells you to goto your package manager and install it, if after pressing enter when done installing or not installing and still erroring out, then it tries to download and compile it from source. code.

Whats strange is superuser has yet to ever ask a permission for any application ( ES Root Manager never asked, but works providing every reboot I go into Root Settings and check both circles for R/W on / and /system.

I dont know how to force permission for ADB in superuser, is there a way? I rebooted to the original file and attempted a second go at install, nothing popped up on the kindle while the install was going on.

I thought Id add in case it means anything, my root anylizer states /system/bin/su false, /systembin/xu true, /system/bin/busybox false. Both SU and Busybox are located in the xu folder.

kj1025

Jun 17, 2013
Whats strange is superuser has yet to ever ask a permission for any application ( ES Root Manager never asked, but works providing every reboot I go into Root Settings and check both circles for R/W on / and /system.

I dont know how to force permission for ADB in superuser, is there a way? I rebooted to the original file and attempted a second go at install, nothing popped up on the kindle while the install was going on.

I thought Id add in case it means anything, my root anylizer states /system/bin/su false, /systembin/xu true, /system/bin/busybox false. Both SU and Busybox are located in the xu folder.

So I physically went into the file folder and changed a permission ( Other did not have read write access, only execute ). Attached is the image of what ran below, looks like there were no errors.

However, Red Triange. Any advice?

Attachments

• screenshots.jpg
    screenshots.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 84

Elhikko

Sep 29, 2010
same problem here I think ...

Everything seems to work fine but at the end i get errors:

* Backing Up Original framework-res.apk *
* Please grant if a superuser request comes up*

failed to copy 'framework-res.apk' to '/data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk': Permi
ssion denied
cp: can't stat '/data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/framework/framework-res.tmp: No such file or directory
failed on '/system/framework/framework-res.tmp' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk, No such file or directory
Backup Sucessful!
----------------------------

I also checked su permissions for adb (with Chainfire's SuperSU Pro) and while the script was running I get the message that permissions were granted. In /system/framework I see both frameword-res.apk and frameword-res.apk.orig, both having 33.993.719 Bytes, rw- r-- r-- permissions and (I think) same MD% Checksums.

At least everything works fine except the wallpapers

Would be nice, if anybody had an Idea how to fix this...
I' attaching the complete output...

Attachments

• Output-Wallpaper-script.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 28

TamiaSky

Sep 3, 2010
Houston
Soft Bricked :(

I have a kindle fire hd 8.9 on version 8.4.3 I have bricked my device 3 times (1 trying to install twrp+boot, and the other 2 doing this to get my wallpaper working). NOTHING seems to be working and I don't know what to do. It seems that everything works fine but when it got ready to push something to my system it said there was no room but it was freshly restored and had 25 gb left for space so I don't get that part.

I am on win 8 pro if that helps, and i'm able to install the launcher, etc it's just black and ugly now and I hate it. I purchased different themes for my launcher and i'm hating amazon for doing this!! (mainly because I can't seem to fix it)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Everything seems to work fine but at the end i get errors:

* Backing Up Original framework-res.apk *
* Please grant if a superuser request comes up*

failed to copy 'framework-res.apk' to '/data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk': Permi
ssion denied
cp: can't stat '/data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk': No such file or directory
failed on '/system/framework/framework-res.tmp' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk, No such file or directory
Backup Sucessful!
----------------------------

I also checked su permissions for adb (with Chainfire's SuperSU Pro) and while the script was running I get the message that permissions were granted. In /system/framework I see both frameword-res.apk and frameword-res.apk.orig, both having 33.993.719 Bytes, rw- r-- r-- permissions and (I think) same MD% Checksums.

At least everything works fine except the wallpapers

Would be nice, if anybody had an Idea how to fix this...
I' attaching the complete output...

You have the same permissions error as kj1025 did before his bricked. Before you go and start changing permissions like he did while yes it "fixed it", it may be what caused his red triangle. Kj1025 did you set the folders permissions back to how they had been after u were done? If not I'm guessing that may be why you have that screen, if you can get into a recovery mode where there's adb access I can tell you how to fix it, otherwise you will need to restore over fastboot to fix it.

TamiaSky, first off your system partition is seperate from the sdcard where there's 20gb free, it has way less space than the sdcard portion, I don't know if you have a lot of apps installed on the system partition for some reason or something. Please send me your log if u can in a post. I have a few theories as to whats happening but nothing is definite until I see the logs. Chances are the reasppon behind you bricking is because its overwriting the framework-res.apk with a incomplete copy. I don't know how you have been restoring from this but simplest way to do so with twrp is to use adb mode and drop to a adb shell in recovery and mount the system with read/write permissions, then run "mv /system/framework/framework-res.apk.orig /system/framework/framework-res.apk", this should fix it without having to restore backups.

Last edited:

kj1025

Jun 17, 2013
You have the same permissions error as kj1025 did before his bricked. Before you go and start changing permissions like he did while yes it "fixed it", it may be what caused his red triangle. Kj1025 did you set the folders permissions back to how they had been after u were done? If not I'm guessing that may be why you have that screen, if you can get into a recovery mode where there's adb access I can tell you how to fix it, otherwise you will need to restore over fastboot to fix it.

TamiaSky, first off your system partition is seperate from the sdcard where there's 20gb free, it has way less space than the sdcard portion, I don't know if you have a lot of apps installed on the system partition for some reason or something. Please send me your log if u can in a post. I have a few theories as to whats happening but nothing is definite until I see the logs. Chances are the reasppon behind you bricking is because its overwriting the framework-res.apk with a incomplete copy. I don't know how you have been restoring from this but simplest way to do so with twrp is to use adb mode and drop to a adb shell in recovery and mount the system with read/write permissions, then run "mv /system/framework/framework-res.apk.orig /system/framework/framework-res.apk", this should fix it without having to restore backups.

After running the patch, my kindle triangled upon reboot. I never got back into it to change the folders again. And I cant get past the restore reboot

thekid41

Jun 1, 2013
Still can't get this script to work on my mom's kfhd it runs says it should work then my notification banner disappears and it says my kindle instead of "name kindle" and I still can't set walpaper papers. Any ideas? It's rooted but running 7.4.3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 2.1 Released!

Disclaimer: By using my script, you understand and accepts that I, and any people mentioned, will NOT be held responsible in the event that your device bricks, get stuck in boot loops, or any other damage.

Ok after debugging my script and making it better for 3-4 days, i finally have a safe version for the general public. Things you should know:

• Highly recommended that you have 2nd boot loader + twrp in the rare chance this bricks your kindle, because you can adb from twrp and restore the backup
    • If you have any alternative launchers installed, the widget picker apk, and/or the live wallpaper apk, it's suggested removing these before running my script or it may tell you your system partition is too low on disk space to continue.
    • This is for OS 10.4.1, 7.4.1, and 8.41 and probably up if they keep this feature disabled
    • You need a rooted device for this to work
    • You need java installed
    • You need Microsoft Visual C++ Redist installed
    • If it stays on "waiting for device" you have adb driver problems, I would suggest perusing the forums for a solution
    • DON"T PULL YOUR CABLE DURING THE PROCEDURE! < very important
    I have learned a lot through making this, such as you have to make this n00b proof in terms of safety features. I also learned that i hate batch coding with a passion. I will release an update soon with the Linux bash script version of this in it, it may or may not work for mac users, I don't have any OS X macs around to check for commands like awk, but base don the last time i used one in school they didn't have half of the busybox commands I'm used to in them.

Compatible Devices:
    1. Kindle Fire HD 7"
    2. Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
    3. Kindle Fire 2
    4. Kindle Fire HDX 7"
    5. Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"

Many thanks to pjeby, who worked with me to make sure it had plenty of safeties to prevent bricks,and gave me the process to know how to do this so i could figure out a way to automate it, as well as checking my script every few updates. Also would like to give credit to JulianPaoloThiry, who noticed where the problem resided. Have to give some credit to a friend of a friend of mine who helped me overcome a really stupid error that i couldn't figure out because i didn't read the debugging text properly, his name is probably Matei, we communicated through email. And final thanks to awidawad and vashypooh, because i based most of this on the kindle fire utilities ui code, must say their tmp variable was the source of my agony with a java bug. Also to thank my testers lordhavemercy, and thekid41, and halfvast. Have to thank soupmagnet for some recent advice on transferring a error code over adb. Another huge thanks to starstremr for having the patience to help me work out a number of bugs introduced in 2.1 update changes that were made before release.

Now with credit given where due here is the wallpaper fix. I will add a readme file later. Just unzip the file and click the file called RunMe. Linux users run the RunMe.sh, you may have to fix permissions to give it execute permissions though.

Oh thought I'd add if a mod also might want to move this post as a new thread in the general section, I'm ok with that. If that happens i figured more people would see this since it affects 3 different models and this is only listed in the 7' hd section.

Edit:Confirmed this works on the 8.9' HD as well!

For now to help me with any problems you may have with this upon release I unhid the extra text that the programs and such are putting out and included a really crappy debugging script that logs the output. So if you run the program and it completes "successfully" but your wallpaper still wont apply do this:
    1. Run the script again, choose restore
    2. Right click runme.bat and hit edit, change the first line to say "@echo on" (without quotes). Save and exit.
    3.Run the debugger.bat and give it a 5 count then hit 1 and enter, the console's going to remain blank, couldn't find a work around.
    4. Wait until your kindle reboots, give your pc a 10 count, then press enter one or two times and send me the debuglog.txt that was created or just send me it in a pm using code tags

Once all the bugs have settled down I'll update with a copy without the extra text showing up.
    Anyways try the new version!

Changelog:
    -fixed a syntax bug in the Linux script.
    -Got rid of awk bug in windows by switching to findstr
    -Fixed broken safeties bug due to previously mentioned awk bug fix
    -Fixed restore function again so it works and is safe
    -Temporarily disabled the sdcard check for the backup, due to new method being a bit buggy with partitions over 1gb
    -Changed backup path to help people with "system partition is low on disk space" messages
    -Complete overhaul and cleanup of the Linux script (thanks soupmagnet)
    -Fixed ./adb.exe in the Linux script
    -Fixed patching bools from \ to / in Linux script
    -Added a chmod line to Linux script to run at startup to make sure binaries have execute permissions
    -Fixed Linux script Unexpected EOF error
    -Fixed some clumsy mistakes in the low disk space warning in Linux script
    -Think i fixed a stupid bug in the Linux script randomly trying to download xmlstarlet from source after a bad exit status from script.
    -Added latest adb binary to Linux version(windows already had the latest version)
    -Fixed safeties i previously implemented in a way that didn't work
    -added some safeties for preventing brick if your sd card or system partition is low on disk space. Some of these safeties may be duds, as i
    haven't had the opportunity to test whether an error code from android carries over adb to windows as a bad exit code, and I'm doubtful that
    it does, so i will work on making safeties work if they don't in this release.
    -added first revision of linux bash script (plan on updating it to be better later on)
    -Added a safety to reduce bricking devices with low disk space on data partition. I have a feeling this is also a possibility of what was
    causing some of the initial bricks that were reported on here after release.
    -added a makeshift fix for people with java path issues, lets see how the fix works!
    -Copied a set path function i forgot to originally that may or may not at some point could have caused problems, not too sure though.
    -Changed the Microsoft visual C++ check to use %windir% instead of c:\windows
    -Enabled more output for debugging purposes
    -Included a crappy debugger script for helping me improve on errors
    -Initial Release
    My Thoughts On Stunt's Wallpaper Fix

Hey guys I don't think it's fair to get on Stunt about his script. Just like any script on the forum you take a chance of bricking your Kindle. The guys that provide these scripts for us take a chance with their own Kindles in order to even make their scripts available. They advise you when using their scripts that you are doing so at your own risk.

I was one who had a bricked Kindle after using the script, but I was always able to restore it with backups, etc. Yes, it was frustrating, but what made the experience okay for me is that there were other members that did not experience bricking on their device. So, I knew the script worked, it had to be something I was doing or even the software I had on my Kindle. The experience wasn't bad because Stunt hung in there with me until he figured out why I was having problems with the script.

In fact, to make anything better it's always about trial and error. You have to have someone with a bricked device to report their findings to the coder so they can modify the script to make it work under most circumstances.

I really appreciate people like Stunt, Hashcode, and others because they do this without compensation for the countless of hours they pour into these free scripts to help those of us who are not coders or hackers to enjoy our tablets.

What's important is to take heed to their advice and back up your tablet so it won't be a devastating experience if you need to restore it. It is your responsibility to take precautions so you are not holding a brick after one of these scripts don't work the way it is designed. I knew I would brick my device, but before I started using the scripts, I purchased a fastboot cable to have on hand. That has been a life saver. If you are going to root your Kindle or use any script on the forum, you need to purchase one of those cables either here or on Amazon.

These are some good guys, talented and committed to helping us Kindle owners be able to enjoy our devices. They pour a lot of time and effort into these scripts. So, instead of insulting them or criticizing their work use their script, note what happens to your device when using it and report back to them. This helps them to make a better script for everyone.

The script works, but you have to take some precautions to limit the time you may have to spend restoring your Kindle in case it doesn't work. You use these scripts at your own risk. Instead of criticizing, encourage Stunt by reporting any errors in the script or what happened during the script that bricked your device. That's the only way to make the script better where it will work for anyone using it.

The script works. My Kindle Fire HD 7 is displaying beautiful live wallpapers because of Stunt's script and because we communicated about the difficulties I was having with the script (In fact, I'm considering restoring my Kindle HD 7 back to square one to assist with his new script).

Stunt provided suggestions and even went back to the drawing board to make the script better so others wouldn't have the same problem I was having (memory issue). That in my opinion shows commitment and integrity. Stunt could have done nothing, but he kept working to modify the script so it would work better for anyone wanting to use it.

In my book, that calls for KUDOs to Stunt, not criticism. The script works.
    Just thought I'd post an update, the automated wallpaper fix is pretty much done, I am going to fancify the menus tomorrow to make it look more like binaries root menus, but I have the restore function implemented, and also implemented a way to make this theoretically work on all kindles plus future updates if the bools.xml is different than mine. Still need a HD 8.9" tester, and my kf2 tester should be testing my latest revision tomorrow ( as in when I wake up because its almost 6 am). Also out of curiosity what forum should I post the wallpaper fix in when its done, the general one? Oh and I will make the Linux script when I'm done with the windows batch version. The Linux version should take all of 5 min to create because I used a few Linux commands included in windows binaries, made my life so much easier. But I learned one thing throughout this process, I hate batch file coding. After using bash for a while, you notice how much more flexible bash is than batch, took me the better part of an hour to figure out how to store a programs' output as a variable in windows... Now that I'm done ranting, Plz give me a 8.9 inch tester!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app
    No such thing as "safe" when modding

Hey, how's everything going so far. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them!!!
    1. Is it safe on the Kindle Fire HD 7?

As safe as modifying your Kindle in general is, which is to say, not very. ;)

If you mean, "does it work on the KFHD7?", the answer is yes, because that's what I used to work this out on.

Will it brick it. From yesterday's experience I don't want it happening again.

I hear you. I bricked my machine more than once figuring this out, but the steps I've given should be sufficient for someone who understands what they're doing to avoid repeating my mistakes.

2. Is the new framework-res overwriting the current one do I have to cut the old one out and past the new one?

You should not install this by copy and paste. Not because it can't be done (my first attempt was done that way), but because if it's too much trouble to set up and use adb first, then you're not going to be in a position to recover if you make a mistake. ;) Set up adb and make darn sure you can get in. Better yet, use KFFirstAide and back everything the hell up before you start, use it to install drivers and test adb communication, etc., before you start.

3. What directory is it In can't seem to find it.

The file is /system/framework/framework-res.apk. It has to be copied, decompiled, altered, recompiled, and a specific file re-merged with the original version in order to create a new version. It is not something you can edit by hand, you need apktool and a good zip utility. I believe stunts513 is including all the needed tools with his script.

Thanks for all your help and I can't wait to try it out IF ITS SAFE :)

There are no guarantees here, and always the possibility of *something* breaking. I've been reviewing stunts513's scripts as he works on them, identifying places where things could break (as is he), and we're trying to make it bulletproof, but there is still no such thing as 100% bulletproof, not on a hobbyist budget. No way to know if something will be different about your specific PC or Kindle, which is part of why I wouldn't upload my working modded file. The script stunts513 is writing should hopefully work even if the framework-res.apk file on your machine is 100% unique, because it pulls the file off first and then only modifies the smallest possible part that needs changing.
    Sorry to hear it bricked your kindle, I wish I had some debugging info so I could find out why it did. I have used it on mine during testing about 10 times, back and forth between installing modded one to the backed one without problems. Strange that this happened. Personally I recommend having 2nd boot loader installed + twrp so if u get bricked it much easier to fix with a restore. Maybe I should update it to have enabled logging of the utility so if there are bricks it will record the process of the command prompt and they could send me them.
    If you can get your kindle into adb mode the original framework is backed up in the same folder, my apps restore function should fix it but if u prefer doing it manually after a bad experience u need to run adb shell then mount the system as writeable and su -c 'mv /system/framework/framework-res.apk.orig /system/framework/framework-res.apk'. Like I said my script will d this for you automatically though.
    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app