SBH80 Bluetooth Headset with Z1 Compact

Search This thread

emtoonst

Sep 19, 2012
I know it is an old thread, but I just found out that the stuttering problem with the Sony SBH80 in combination with a Z1 Compact or Z5 Compact (I have both) has something to do with connecting to mobile networks (not wifi).
If I put my phone in airplane mode and re-enable bluetooth the stuttering stops.

Note; the stuttering and sound gaps every couple of minutes for about a second or less only occurs when I move (walking, biking, etc). If I stay in the same spot, I don't have to put my phone in airplane mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to add a little upate: with the new Smart Connect version - 5.6.24.215 - a persistent notification when connected to the device shows the headset battery level and time remaining (including standby time), and also shows on the device info page in the Smart Connect app. Still no Power Management > Accessories tab on KitKat though.

The sound quaity really blows other BT devices out of the water :)
    No result

Unfortunately my tests with frozen liveconnect app and throw function turned off failed. I still experience music interruptions. Moreover if I stream music through other devices and my z1 compact is connected to the headset via multipoint interruptions appear as well. Now I think it can be connected with the bluetooth driver itself as it was reworked to support LE (low energy protocol). Hopefully we will find the solution. I sent a query to sony support. Will get back when they respond.
    So, what you are saying is that when using the headset with other devices than your Z1, everything works like a charm, correct? I still am trying to make sense of this, because it doens't always happen, for example, yesterday in the beginning of my workout I had that annoying issue, then, I killed all apks that I had running on the phone and from that moment on everything was ok... Another coincindence?!? Maybe...
    I freezed all the bloatware, installed running app cleaner and guess what? It almost helped. The key word is ALMOST. Anyway It's better than nothing. Sony support asked me to reset the headset (put it on a charge, then press and hold the phone button till it vibrates). I did it but will test it a little later as I'm in office now. You can try. Maybe the problem was with the very first connection. I personally believe that it's all about the radio and it's firmware. I found a forum were a man indicates the same problem with z1. His says that it started with the 4.3 update. As soon as he downgrades to 4.2 everything is OK. You can find it in the comments:
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/24/new-firmware-14-2-a-1-144-certified-for-the-xperia-z1-and-xperia-z1-compact/
    Hello again! :) What do you mean by "...then press and hold the phone button till it vibrates", is it possible that what you wanted to say was "then press and hold the headset power button till it vibrates"? :-/ Then again, how do we reset the headset? Unpairing it from the phone? Tell me how it went for you... Here, in Portugal, after contacting the service center, they simply told me to send the headset to a service center, very helpfull! he he he Cheers.

From the online User Guide:
    Resetting the headset

Reset the headset if it behaves unexpectedly. Resetting the headset removes all information about paired devices.

To reset the headset:

1. Turn off the headset, then connect the charger so that the headset starts to charge.
    2. Press and hold down [phone button on the headset] until the headset vibrates briefly.
    Hello "GHTOP", I had the same foreground Walkman issue, but curiously it disaperead after the update to 4.4.2. In my case, I think the issue are Wi-Fi related, my suspicions are based on this: When I am on an outdoor run, I have my data carrier on (and Wi-Fi off), in order to be abble to track my workout using a sport application, and I don't use to have sound interruption problems; in the gym, with a strong Wi-Fi Connection everything seems to work also properly, however, when walking in the street with Wi-Fi on I get the interruptions issues, for that reason I think they are related with the device trying to connect with the different wireless networks available. Beside that, I am quiet satisfied with the headset sound, and perspiration proof (no sweat related malfunctions whatsoever). Cheers.

Hello. I might have found the reason. Try to uncheck constant wi-fi search even when it's turned off (wi-fi settings). It helped in my case, hope will help you as well.