Someone else sent my text to my friend

Search This thread

mikatachan

Jan 30, 2012
somewhere in the metaverse
Wondering if my phone got hacked. I am running infamous rom on tmobile. Tonight my friend received my text messages from another number, and when my friend questioned who he was, he either didnt seem surprised or he was just playing along. If my phone did get hacked, do you guys have any advice like a system format, a setting I can change, or should I call tmobile directly?

Thank in advance

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
Wondering if my phone got hacked. I am running infamous rom on tmobile. Tonight my friend received my text messages from another number, and when my friend questioned who he was, he either didnt seem surprised or he was just playing along. If my phone did get hacked, do you guys have any advice like a system format, a setting I can change, or should I call tmobile directly?

Thank in advance

I'd call T-Mo directly and advise them of the situation. You might ask your buddy if he would participate and allow his carrier to use information to find what phone did the spoofing, and they can track the user via the IMEI number that is recorded when transmission is initiated. You MIGHT be required to have a police report to get the tracking done, so you ought to consider making the report to your local PD.

Be SURE your buddy isn't jerking your chain before you do anything, and I'd probably want to SEE the TM before any action on your part.

Aloha and Good Luck!

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Bobolinko's advice is correct and the best course of action.

But to answer your specific question about the phoen being hacked...No, wiping it won't help. Neither will installing a different ROM or anything else.

If what your buddy is saying is actually happening, it's most likely not that someone have hacked into your phone and is remotely sending messages from your phone. It's far more likely that someone intercepted your cell signal, hacked the IMEI number (as stated above) and applied your IMEI number to another device, thus cloning your phone.

That message to your buddy came from another device entirely and never went through your phone at all. The problem is that this is very hard to fix. You can't have T Mobile jus tblock your IMEI number because then your phone won't work either. T Mobile can't distinguish between your phone and the cloned fake phone because both are broadcasting the same IMEI number, which is the identifier T Mobile uses to use your phone.

Have you left the United States recently and used your phone in another county? This whole scenario is vey common in Russia and other Eastern European countries. People got there on a vaction, use their phone, and immediately the phone's IMEI is captured and stolen. If you had mobile data turned on or used wifi, the user data on the phone is also likely compromised. Meaning all passwords, etc.

If you haven't left the US, it's much less likely, but still possible this is what happened.

Someone could have also physically looked at your phone, wrote down the IMEI number under the battery, and cloned it that way just to screw with you. No intercepted radio signals or anything. Just good old fashioned "copying the key". In that scenario it's almost certainly someone you know (unless you are in the habit of leaving your phone completely unattended around strangers).