Search This thread

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Got the 30$ analogix one and tried it out last night.. works great on the new N7!

Hmm... My $3 cable from China (delivery tooks 12 days) works exactly the same (i.e. "works great") as your $30 "adaptor" :D

People, don't be stupid - there is no reason to pay for the wiring even if it called "super-duper ultra-highspeed adaptor" :D

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO
I can confirm that the slimport in the link below works perfectly with the new nexus 7, including 1080p video and audio output http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort®-SP1...4962024&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport+hdmi+adapter

Hmm... My $3 cable from China (delivery tooks 12 days) works exactly the same (i.e. "works great") as your $30 "adaptor" :D

People, don't be stupid - there is no reason to pay for the wiring even if it called "super-duper ultra-highspeed adaptor" :D

Some folks have gotten burned by cheap chinese junk in the past. That doesn't make them stupid to be gun-shy of that.

That being said, generally you are correct. Why pay 1000 bucks for a diamond coated HDMI cable from best buy when you can buy one from amazon for 4 bucks.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Agree, "stupid" isn't correct word; "naive" fits more :) BTW, if you are here (on XDA) you should have some technical knowledge "how things works" or you may ask...

Also, some folks have gotten burned without "cheap chinese junk" - there are lot of idio... oh, no!.. naive people around the world. But if you get burned with $30+ adaptor with the "brand name" onboard, nobody will compensate your loses...

LauraSakura

Jan 29, 2009
Youngstown, OH
Some folks have gotten burned by cheap chinese junk in the past. That doesn't make them stupid to be gun-shy of that.

That being said, generally you are correct. Why pay 1000 bucks for a diamond coated HDMI cable from best buy when you can buy one from amazon for 4 bucks.

I just wanted to get the official one, because of fast free shipping, and the fact that I've been burned in the past due to cheap Chinese versions of things.

And no, I don't buy monster cables. I do buy the cheaper versions from the store. I'm mostly just hesitant when ordering online. (Like the nexus 7 keyboard I bought that took more than a month to arrive)

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

But if you get burned with $30+ adaptor with the "brand name" onboard, nobody will compensate your loses...

That's not quite true.. if you contact customer service you can often get a replacement. Amazon is , in general, great with returns. Also, please don't be so condescending. Many others in this thread have posted about the same exact adaptor I got, yet you single me out. The fact that I sometimes spend more money on better equipment or to get things faster doesn't mean I don't understand technology. To put it bluntly, there's no need to act like a high and mighty jerk.

michaelg1030

Apr 28, 2011

Give us a link of this $3 adaptor you are talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

macaumen

Jan 5, 2011
Anybody have one or planning on getting one? I'm kinda bummed I'll have to get another one (already have MHL) dumb competing standards. The few available on Amazon seem overpriced (in the $30 range) for a chunk of plastic and some wire.

I am using Netgear PTV3000. Yes, it's a bit pricy but it works with my Nexus 7, Galaxy S4, laptop, and all devices compatible with miracast or widi. Screen mirroring wirelessly. Perfect for me.

ddarkraven

Sep 15, 2008

I'm also waiting on that link to the $3 dollar china cable...:good:

zeroxia

Oct 28, 2011
I can confirm that the slimport in the link below works perfectly with the new nexus 7, including 1080p video and audio output http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort®-SP1...4962024&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport+hdmi+adapter

I also have this one, and it works great. No halving the framerate like my old MHL adapter on my GS3. It doesn't charge by default, but there's a microusb port to plug in a charging adapter

Can you guys check if the charging function of SlimPort can keep up with some heavy usage, like HD video streaming or game playing? But of course you should use the wall warp to provide enough juicy to the tablet.

I think there are somethings the SlimPort can improve, like turning off the tablet screen while outputting to external display, or even make it dual display.

Lol yea same. Agree that they possibly shouldn't cost that much. However, was this person perhaps thinking MHL instead of MyDP? :p
I doubt he even has the Nexus 7 at all.

I'm in China and I can't find such $3 SlimPort rip-off product on taobao.com, it's somewhat priced at $20 equivalently:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=21275751349

swagstr

Sep 4, 2010
Corvallis, OR
www.goodandevo.net
Would love to see the $3 cable. But I think that that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Because the cheapest that I found after many hours of research is $18.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Haranzo

Dec 30, 2011
Can you guys check if the charging function of SlimPort can keep up with some heavy usage, like HD video streaming or game playing? But of course you should use the wall warp to provide enough juicy to the tablet.

I think there are somethings the SlimPort can improve, like turning off the tablet screen while outputting to external display, or even make it dual display.

I'm in China and I can't find such $3 SlimPort rip-off product on taobao.com, it's somewhat priced at $20 equivalently:

Anyone know if this cable woudl work for Nexus 7 FHD?

http://www.amazon.com/Skiva-Samsung...qid=1375251666&sr=1-2&keywords=micro+usb+hdmi

streakthequad

Feb 20, 2011
I am using Netgear PTV3000. Yes, it's a bit pricy but it works with my Nexus 7, Galaxy S4, laptop, and all devices compatible with miracast or widi. Screen mirroring wirelessly. Perfect for me.

How is latency for gaming? What is your typical use? I'm interested since it's now $50 on Amazon. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO

Some bad news. Initial observations from last night I streamed a movie through plex at 1080p, and the slimport with attached OEM charger and cable I was very slowly losing battery. I want to do more testing, but it seemed like the slimport either took some of the current for itself or the Nexus7 was using a tremendous amount of it. I will do a test later tonight that can measure the current throughput to ensure that it's charging at full current.

I did find, however, that with the slimport attached (without microusb charger plugged into it), you CAN wirelessly charge, but I found it to not keep up with the demands of plex and the attached slimport, just like the standard charger. Note when I was doing this test I only had one charging method active at a time, either wireless or through the slimport charging port.

I will do more tests, but it looks like in general there might not be a way to perpetually output to hdmi through slimport, as I'm not finding a charging method that can keep up with all scenarios, mine using plex as an example streaming 1080p

Oh yeah, and also, the back of the nexus was pretty toasty.

Last edited:

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Some bad news. Initial observations from last night I streamed a movie through plex at 1080p, and the slimport with attached OEM charger and cable I was very slowly losing battery. I want to do more testing, but it seemed like the slimport either took some of the current for itself or the Nexus7 was using a tremendous amount of it. I will do a test later tonight that can measure the current throughput to ensure that it's charging at full current.

I did find, however, that with the slimport attached (without microusb charger plugged into it), you CAN wirelessly charge, but I found it to not keep up with the demands of plex and the attached slimport, just like the standard charger. Note when I was doing this test I only had one charging method active at a time, either wireless or through the slimport charging port.

I will do more tests, but it looks like in general there might not be a way to perpetually output to hdmi through slimport, as I'm not finding a charging method that can keep up with all scenarios, mine using plex as an example streaming 1080p

Can you try another charger like Samsung for Note 2/S4? Wireless prob not gonna work :(

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO
Can you try another charger like Samsung for Note 2/S4? Wireless prob not gonna work :(

Not sure what you mean for another charger. Do you mean another charger through the slimport? If so, I CAN do that, I have a 2.1A charger for my touchpad that will work.

I do want to clarify that I used the stock 1.35A charger through the slimport and through my wireless charger.

Wireless charging DID work, although in neither case was there a net gain in battery while using the slimport.

What I did find that is interesting, however, is that when I use the stock charger with no slimport, I'm getting ~1.1A of charging current. When I stick in the slimport, it goes down to approx 500mA. That's why this thing isn't charging fully!

When using wireless charging, I'm staying around 1A, which is promising.

So, rule of thumb, until someone can hack the kernel possibly to allow higher amperage, If you're going to use the slimport, use wireless charging!!!

Reactions: k2thec and zeroxia

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Yea I meant the 2.1A :)

Sad to hear that the Slimport limits the charging rate when plugged in. I was thinking wireless wasn't going to be optimal but with this news changes everything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd be curious to whether the output is vertically squashed or whether there are black bars on top and bottom of the output and the aspect ratio is kept consistent as well.

I bought the Analogix adapter, and the full Nexus 16:10 display is evenly scaled down to fit within the 16:9 ratio of the tv. This means that the image you see has the correct aspect ratio, but is pillar-boxed on the tv screen. This also means that it's not a 1:1 pixel mapping. In fact, playing back a 1080p 16:9 movie appears both letter-boxed (to fit in the 16:10 Nexus ratio) and pillar-boxed (to fit back into the 16:9 tv ratio) when played back on the tv. The scaling quality is good, but I'd much prefer 1:1.

My Asus 10" tablet handles this much better. When it detects an hdmi connection, it letter-boxes the tablet display and forces Android into an aspect-correct 16:9 mode so that it can mirror the display to the tv. I was really hoping the Nexus would do the same thing, or at least give me an option to reconfigure this, but I haven't found any settings for it. Overall I'm a bit disappointed, this seems like a step backwards.
    Thanks for the details monouchi. That's most dissapointing. I wonder if Google would ever patch Android to give more display options. The way your Asus tablet works makes the most sense.

Or perhaps there is a custom rom that gives more options.

There is a thread in the Nexus 10 forums about how to switch the native resolution to make it work without scaling. The solution requires you to be rooted. Someone posted info about the Nexus 7 2nd Gen, which is:

Code:
    I have Nexus 7 2nd gen. Native resolution is 1200x1920 and default density is 320 (though technically the density is about 323).

To get it to work correctly in 1080p, I have to run the following commands as root:
    wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 288

To change it back:
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

If I don't change the density to 288 or smaller, the icons and everything get messed up, especially in landscape.

The thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278508&page=2

I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a slimport adapter.

Oh yeah, and also, the back of the nexus was pretty toasty.
    I just received my slimport from amazon.ca and it works fine.

This is the one: http://www.amazon.ca/SlimPort®-SP10...=UTF8&qid=1376666860&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport

My observations:

-it doesn't require external power (it is powered by my TV, some may not provide power), but this doesn't charge it

-plugging a usb cable into the slimport adapter does charge it

-OTG adapter does not work plugged into the slimport adapter. The slimport adapter trips the ID pin on the usb port, and shuts off the 5v output to avoid current leak. I didn't try with otg adapter + y-cable connect to power source. I will experiment more.

-the hdmi output is 1920x1080 at 60Hz (on my TV, depends on your TV's capabilities) so there is no lag, very smooth (note that many devices limit to 24Hz or 30Hz at 1080p and it looks choppy)

-unfortunately the output is pillarboxed by default. This can be fixed by doing (as root)
    wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 288

then reset with:
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

I don't think this is something to be fixed in kernel, the kernel is doing what it's supposed to with respect to output resolution to lcd and hdmi.

Someone should write a daemon or system service that detects hdmi status and runs these commands automatically.