[VIDEO] How to root/flash a Chromecast with FlashCast

Search This thread

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Due to the confusion on how to setup flashcast and install pwnedcast, I decided to make a tutorial Video. Sorry for the crappy video/audio, I need a new webcam.

NOTE: this will work on a chromecast that has not been setup yet, and we recommend rooting a device before setup to prevent any accidental OTA update.

Files Download Link: http://pdl.team-eureka.com/other/Chromecast-Root.zip

Hope this helps!

also, bonus points for anyone who finds the "teaser" in the video. ;)

Last edited:

mastermind278

Nov 29, 2006
NJ
Good Job. I was actually going to do the same tonight, guess I don't need to do it! ;)

I also think it could be mentioned that you could just flash Flashcast and Pwned before ever setting up your chromecast (eliminates the risk of connecting a brand new Chromecast to the internet and getting the update). I just tested it out on a Chromecast I got for a family member.

gbeardmore

Mar 15, 2011
Stoughton, WI
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Sweet! I have been trolling YouTube for the last 1/2 hour looking for just this video with no luck. Came back here and "poof", here it is!

I have 2 Chromecasts that have been sitting untouched since release day, waiting for a comprehensive tutorial. Thank you!!

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Good Job. I was actually going to do the same tonight, guess I don't need to do it! ;)

I also think it could be mentioned that you could just flash Flashcast and Pwned before ever setting up your chromecast (eliminates the risk of connecting a brand new Chromecast to the internet and getting the update). I just tested it out on a Chromecast I got for a family member.

True, forgot to mention that in the video. Will add to OP, thanks.

jvilla785

Feb 15, 2008
Lawrence
Thanks for making video. I had a hard time the first time I did this. Did not know when, and after the first boot that it auto formated for me and I needed to upload the eureka zip file. For it to complete

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
This might be OT but under the heading of what a CC noobie might do wrong! :D

I have a new CC but waiting on the OTG cable. I'm getting ready so I didn't have a standard USB flash drive but had a USB/xD adapter and a 1GB xD card on which I put Flashcast. After watching the video and the caution about trying to open the USB drive I decided to redo it. Win32DiskImager errors out at 97%, I forget the error number and Windows can't format it either! I was able to put it back into the camera and format it.

Just wondering if say someone tries Flashcast only to find out that they have one of the new bootloaders(which could be me too), what do they do with that USB flash drive or what will format it now? Or is it just something to do with the adapter that I used?

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
What are the benefits of a rooted chrome cast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The biggest benefit is you get to keep your unlocked bootloader, and gain the ability to flash mods such as Kyocast to get around google's app whitelisting.

This might be OT but under the heading of what a CC noobie might do wrong! :D

I have a new CC but waiting on the OTG cable. I'm getting ready so I didn't have a standard USB flash drive but had a USB/xD adapter and a 1GB xD card on which I put Flashcast. After watching the video and the caution about trying to open the USB drive I decided to redo it. Win32DiskImager errors out at 97%, I forget the error number and Windows can't format it either! I was able to put it back into the camera and format it.

Just wondering if say someone tries Flashcast only to find out that they have one of the new bootloaders(which could be me too), what do they do with that USB flash drive or what will format it now? Or is it just something to do with the adapter that I used?
If you flash flashcast to a jump drive, and try to boot it on a chromecast that is already updated, it would stay on a black screen on your TV, and the jump drive would never format. You can just re-format the jump drive from your computer to return it to being a normal jumpdrive.

tyrtok

Jun 3, 2012
question, the other end of the OTG cable is plugged into your computer? where do chromecast get its power?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
If you flash flashcast to a jump drive, and try to boot it on a chromecast that is already updated, it would stay on a black screen on your TV, and the jump drive would never format. You can just re-format the jump drive from your computer to return it to being a normal jumpdrive.
That's if your able to succeed but if it fails do to having the wrong bootloader? Are you still able to format from your PC or right after using Win32Diskimager to put the bin file on the USB drive, are you able to format, etc. then? Maybe using Win32DiskImager the second time corrupted the memory card??

tyrtok

Jun 3, 2012
in either case I must have the 3 way OTG? im asking this because I have the normal micro usb > female USB otg, there isnt a 3rd cable out to power the device. Appreciate your reply.

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
That's if your able to succeed but if it fails do to having the wrong bootloader? Are you still able to format from your PC or right after using Win32Diskimager to put the bin file on the USB drive, are you able to format, etc. then? Maybe using Win32DiskImager the second time corrupted the memory card??
Well if it fails to boot due to a locked bootloader, it will not format. At that point even formatting it yourself (which would break flashcast) would not make it work as the bootloader is preventing it from booting.

in either case I must have the 3 way OTG? im asking this because I have the normal micro usb > female USB otg, there isnt a 3rd cable out to power the device. Appreciate your reply.
For flashing the chromecast you need a powered OTG cable, but some people have reported success using a powered USB hub. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465642

cadguycad

May 8, 2011
Due to the confusion on how to setup flashcast and install pwnedcast, I decided to make a tutorial Video. Sorry for the crappy video/audio, I need a new webcam.

NOTE: this will work on a chromecast that has not been setup yet, and we recommend rooting a device before setup to prevent any accidental OTA update.

Files Download Link: http://pwnedcast-files.servernetworktech.com/extras/Chromecast-Root.zip

Hope this helps!

thanks very much for the video....i wish i would have had this a few weeks ago when i was figuring this out myself.

gbeardmore

Mar 15, 2011
Stoughton, WI
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Sweet! I have been trolling YouTube for the last 1/2 hour looking for just this video with no luck. Came back here and "poof", here it is!

I have 2 Chromecasts that have been sitting untouched since release day, waiting for a comprehensive tutorial. Thank you!!

UPDATE: Followed this video and had both my devices rooted in under 1/2 hour. Thank you!

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Well if it fails to boot due to a locked bootloader, it will not format. At that point even formatting it yourself (which would break flashcast) would not make it work as the bootloader is preventing it from booting.
It's not the process or lack of completing that I questioned, it's the condition of the USB flash drive if it fails. It might be better to ask, if Win32DiskImager is used to place the BIN file on a USB flash drive and it isn't used to flash a CC or fails to, how or with what is used to formatted it for reuse?

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
tchebb.me
It's not the process or lack of completing that I questioned, it's the condition of the USB flash drive if it fails. It might be better to ask, if Win32DiskImager is used to place the BIN file on a USB flash drive and it isn't used to flash a CC or fails to, how or with what is used to formatted it for reuse?

The flash drive can certainly be reformatted. I've seen reports of Windows being unable to format it using the standard explorer menu option for some reason, which is a bug in Windows, IMO. The format operation is exactly the same regardless of the contents of the drive, and Windows shouldn't be looking at the contents at all. Nevertheless, it doesn't work for some reason, so what you need to do is go into the Disk Management application as described here, delete all the partitions on the drive, and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up all the space. (If someone is willing to create a guide with screenshots, I'd appreciate it, as I don't currently have access to a Windows machine.)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Files Download Link: http://pdl.team-eureka.com/other/Chromecast-Root.zip

Hope this helps!

I followed this awesome video tutorial, and everything seemed to go smoothly. Got the PWNED! Splash screen and all. Just to be clear, I need to go the the google setup page to finish? Just kinda worried that I might lose root if I do... :confused:
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

as long as you see the Pwned boot animation, you are safe to setup the device and don't need to worry about loosing root :)
    If you're lucky, your Chromecast did not automatically update (or download the update).

Technically, anything that writes firmware has the potential to brick the device, including Google's own OTA update...
    But realistically, you'd have to do something horribly wrong to brick it, like cutting power during the update.

Follow the instructions and try it.

Even cutting the power during FlashCast shouldn't brick it. The FlashCast kernel is forbidden from writing to the bootloader partition, so anything that goes wrong during a flash can be fixed by just running FlashCast again.
    I have an OTG cable but it doesn't have a power cable.

See last two links in my post here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47945951

If you have a USB Y-cable of some sort and the right adapters you can make what you have work too. My first root involved a standard OTG cable like yours, a mini B to 2xA Y-cable from a hard drive and a mini B female to A female adapter I already had.
    Power+Data A plug into OTG port, Power A plug into Chromecast wall adapter, mini B plug and USB stick into mini B to A adapter, OTG micro USB into Chromecast.
    Messy, but it worked.
    As long as there are no hubs involved, you can inject power anywhere in the cable path.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
    Thank you. ^^

My 2nd chromecast [3816xxxx] is now rooted! My 1st chromecast I bought during the first week of sale, which is among oldest ones, 3618xxx, but Flashcast/PwnedCast/Eureka didn't exist at that time, so of course, it's already updated. =P