[ROM][CM9] Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Search This thread

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
Ics modem working?

What if I am on a Jellybean AOSP rom (dirty unicorn) with an FL24 modem. and i wanted to use this to update prl/profile? would this work? I would think the prl update would brick it because I am on FL24 modem while on stock el29, would it?

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
What if I am on a Jellybean AOSP rom (dirty unicorn) with an FL24 modem. and i wanted to use this to update prl/profile? would this work? I would think the prl update would brick it because I am on FL24 modem while on stock el29, would it?

Probably not a good idea, you should keep a nandroid of TouchWiz on your sd.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Reactions: CollinsB

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury

thanks for the reply! though if i decide to go to AOSP, how would i restore my nandriod backup so that i can update PRL/Profile, dont i need to be on the same TW kernal (agat) that i backed up with? And you cant be on AOSP with a TW kernel...

Last edited:

bilgerryan

thanks for the reply! though if i decide to go to AOSP, how would i restore my nandriod backup so that i can update PRL/Profile, dont i need to be on the same TW kernal (agat) that i backed up with? And you cant be on AOSP with a TW kernel...

Use Garwynn's v0.4.1 kernel to make the Backup it uses the same recovery as AOSP, that's how I always did it, haven't been on AOSP in a little bit.

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
Use Garwynn's v0.4.1 kernel to make the Backup it uses the same recovery as AOSP, that's how I always did it, haven't been on AOSP in a little bit.

Oh thats really good to know, thanks :)
though it occurred to me that I am already on a jellybean GB27 rom, so i couldnt nandriod restore and update PRL/Profile because using AOSP i will have to be on an ICS modem anyway. I guess i just need to odin back to a stock ics rom, and flash dirty unicorn from there so i wont have to update prl/profile after i flash, and will have working data.
thanks!

bilgerryan

Oh thats really good to know, thanks :)
though it occurred to me that I am already on a jellybean GB27 rom, so i couldnt nandriod restore and update PRL/Profile because using AOSP i will have to be on an ICS modem anyway. I guess i just need to odin back to a stock ics rom, and flash dirty unicorn from there so i wont have to update prl/profile after i flash, and will have working data.
thanks!

No, flash the ICS Modem and update PRL/Profile, you won't have data but you can still update them. Then you restore your AOSP nandroid and done.

CollinsB

Aug 13, 2012
West Roxbury
No, flash the ICS Modem and update PRL/Profile, you won't have data but you can still update them. Then you restore your AOSP nandroid and done.

Oh... r u sure that updating prl/profile while on a TW jellybean rom with a ICS modem is safe? I know that when i first flashed jellyverse (v.2.0) I was still on a ICS modem (the JB modem aborted.) But i tried updating PRl/profile with ICS modem and I softbricked. I had to odin to restore.
Is this because i was on an ICS modem? Or maybe becuase i didnt have a custom recovery at the time or could it just have been the rom? (I just tried updating PRL/profile while on JB modem (on jellyverse 3.0) and it worked fine, so if it was the rom, i guess it had been fixed.)
(sorry to be a pain)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
    This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich FF18 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.
    • Update Profile
    • Update PRL
    • Sprint Activation
    • Dial codes and diagnostic mode
    QBKing77's video is on the EL29 temp boot but instructions should be almost exactly the same except just use the included kernel/recovery that comes with the CM9 rom instead of the directbootCWM kernel!

Thanks to nubecoder, chris41g, noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!

Nice. I use the old version all the time.
    I've tried this twice today, downloaded all files, checked md5's, unzipped folder, copied files and folder to Internal sdcard, followed Qbking77's video to the "T" and just getting a reboot to CMR 5.0.2.7, never to the temp ROM.
    I'm currently on AOSP JellyBean, was just trying to get GPS fixed; came from BlueKuban.
    Gotta run out, will re-do the whole thing tonight, again.... Third time is a charm?

AFAIK, sbrissen's kernel doesn't have kexec support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app